- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

One of the shorter chapters but no less important.

 

~Part VIII: YEARNING TO BE FREE

They all sat silently, watching the young man by the lake. Logically, they all knew Gary had no case. Contract law would never allow for Justin not to know that he was involved in an agreement to that degree without his knowledge. But they all knew that this situation with men who thought they owned in him in one way or another could make trouble for him. They all wanted to help...but how?

 

Harry sighed. "Well I guess I'd better go talk to him."

Ava chuckled at the despondency she heard in her husband's voice. "Do you want me to handle it? We both know how he gets when he's like this."

"What do you mean?" Emmett asked. His heart was breaking for the young man he had taken to calling ‘Baby.' Justin deserved every good thing life offered. From what he had gathered, Justin had it just as bad as he did back in Hazelhurst since his mom died years ago. "I think if we just give him time, he'll come in and be ready to talk."

"No he won't," Harry disagreed. "Justin is probably one of the most stubborn, driven men any of you will ever meet. Those qualities have served him well over the years and made him a very wealthy man. Conversely, those are also two of his worst qualities. When Justin takes an idea into his head, it would take a miracle or a sledgehammer to get it out. The word willful isn't powerful enough to describe him in these moments. It makes me want to hug him and punch the shit of him by turns."

Ted laughed. "I know that feeling well; Emmett, Melanie and Leda do too," he said, looking in Brian's direction.

"Whoa Kinney, you would pick the perfect blond with the PERFECT personality flaw which matches your own," Leda teased.

"It's not a personality flaw. Justin and I ARE perfect. You all just can't understand us," Brian answered in a matter-of-fact tone, that caused them all to laugh.

"Wow, narcissistic much, Brian?" Melanie mock-sneered.

"No Smelly Melly. I'm just right," Brian smirked.

"Well good, Mr. Right. That means you should go and talk to him," Ava said, smiling at Brian's sudden discomfiture.

"I mean, I'm sure that since everyone here agrees that you and Justin share the same tendencies, we also agree that you should be the one to have to convince him to come in here and see reason. We're not going to let Gary and Brandon get away with their bullshit. We are also not going to let Justin sacrifice everything he has worked so hard to maintain while he has been away. But we can't convince him of any of that until you get his ass back in here," Harry reasoned. "Besides, it might teach you to not be so rigid in your own belligerence when your friends and colleagues are trying to help you."

"A punishment well-deserved if you ask me," Ted said. When Brian glared at him, he stammered further, "I...I mean that in the most loving way possible as both your friend AND colleague, Bri."

"Ted you should quit while you're ahead," Emmett warned, even seeing the raised eyebrow and slight smirk dancing across Brian's lips.

"Zipping...zipping..." Ted happily took Emmett's advice knowing that Brian was going to find some way to retaliate, and it would be worse, the longer he spoke.

"Fine you bunch of chicken shits, I'll go talk to him." Brian rose from the table, forming an idea of how to bring Justin around.

"Good luck with that. But then again, he didn't take his coat. Yes it's a warm day for February, but it's still fucking February," Ava said, as she moved into the kitchen area to put water on. Emmett had brought an assortment of both teas and coffee with him this morning, having the forethought, unlike Brian or Justin, that they might want tea instead of coffee. In the her case, it was in addition to coffee while Melanie was sticking to tea and Leda was on her third cup of coffee. "Brian, tell him if he gets sick, I'll beat the snot out of him."

The whole room erupted in laughter. Between Ava and Emmett, they would never lack country expressions that would add humor to any situation. With all that was going on around them, they certainly needed the comedy relief.

 

Brian left the others inside the warmth of the mansion, pulling his jacket around him. Ava was right. It was a warm day for February but the wind coming off of the lake made the crisp air brutal when the wind kicked up. He was glad that he grabbed the blanket from the mudroom on his way out. As long as the wind didn't kick up it would be enough. He found Justin on the bench beside the water, staring out into its nothingness. Brian wasn't sure what the blond was seeing in his mind, but he noticed how engrossed and focused Justin was on whatever it was.

He remembered his own long ago days of feeling trapped in situations not of his own making- the days of parents who couldn't get their shit together so they took it out on him. He'd had Mikey, Deb, and Vic but even then, he was unable or a more accurate term may have been unwilling, to let them help him past giving him a place to sleep, something to eat, and bandaging him up. Brian didn't feel any ease until he had graduated and, through Career Placement at the college, landed his first job with Ryder Advertising. The relief he felt at not having to become part of Jack and Joan Kinney's dysfunctional household once more was immeasurable. He had vowed to never be put in a position where he would ever have to depend on someone else again. He imagined that Justin was going through the same thing within his own mind right now.

"So, are you ready to come back in and talk about this?" Brian asked coming to sit beside Justin on the bench. He placed the throw blanket that he grabbed around Justin's shoulders. "Before you answer that, you should know that I have already been forewarned of how obstinate you can be. I can assure you, I'm worse."

Justin snuggled into the blanket, a small nod of gratitude to Brian as he still focused on the small ripples that began to traverse the formerly smooth surface of the water. "Then you are already wasting your time Brian, since I'm not budging on my decision."

"Why?"

"Why? Why what?"

"Why are you so unwilling to let them help you through this? Sapperstein has no grounds, and honestly, he can't make you go back the company or sue you for a contract that was between him and Brandon. So why not come back in and hear what the attorneys at the table have to say. I know that you trust Harry and strangely enough, I trust Mel. He knows full well what she is capable of, since before she braved the Great White North, they were partners in his law firm. I think that if you would actually listen to what they have to say, this will solve itself in your favor."

Justin took a moment to process all that Brian was saying. His orders didn't have anything to do with the lack of faith in Harry's abilities, or even Melanie's for that matter. It was that he knew Gary and Brandon better than they did. He had worked for and with them for years.

"You don't get it Brian; none of you do. In order for me to be free of them, I have to give them what they want. What they really want is for me to return to the company. Although there are a lot of talented members within the troupe, I'm probably the most accomplished of them. Add to that how long I've been with the company and you have the fact that I have a following of my own. People pay big money whenever they know that I am appearing. Gary doesn't want to lose that. So he's played this trump card in suing me, hoping to get me back where he feels I belong. It doesn't help that Brandon knows where I live either. If Michael is your stalker, then Brandon will be mine."

Brian shudders at the thought of another clingy ‘friend' and with the way Michael had been lately, he couldn't blame Justin for wanting to sell his loft and move to an undisclosed location. "Well, we are staying the week here so that's something. You won't have to be caught unawares at the loft but..."

"What's with the but, Brian? Yeah we're here for the week but both of us eventually have to return to our real lives. We can't avoid Tremont forever."

"Maybe we can," Brian said, hoping that Justin wouldn't make him spell his suggestion all out for him.

"No fucking way," Justin said after a few minutes of piecing together what Brian was saying. "We aren't even a couple Brian. There's no way I'm agreeing to live with you once the week is finished."

"That wasn't... okay so yeah it was what I was suggesting, but I don't see this as a bad thing."

"It's probably the worst idea I can think of."

"And why's that?" Brian was honestly curious to know. Sure they had only known each other a short time but already they were developing a real friendship- or at least Brian liked to think so- and that was rare. Given the fact that Justin let him into his body last night, there was definitely something there. Justin wouldn't have broken his ‘Bottoms Only Need Apply' rule for nothing. But Brian wasn't going to beg for the chance to see where last night led.

"I....I... well I don't know, except that we are still veritable strangers Brian. What if at the end of the week or before the week is even out, you decide that you don't want me here? Then I am basically back to square one. I would rather just go ahead and find somewhere now cut out all the hoopla of having to do it later."

Brian couldn't deny that Justin made sense in his logic. That was another thing he was learning to appreciate in talking to the younger man. "So why don't we add this stipulation to your contract?"

"Because that would negate what happened last night," Justin answered quickly.

"It doesn't have to," came Brian's swift comeback. Justin raised his eyebrow at Brian waiting for the man to continue. "You and I didn't fuck out of obligation or gratitude Justin. We wanted each other and we took what we wanted. It's as simple as that."

"Be that as it may, having a contract changes the rules. Basically I'll be fucking you for safe harbor."

"Is that what you think?" Brian drew the younger man into his arms. Before Justin had another chance to offer an argument or an answer, Brian kissed him. He let all of what he felt like after being inside of Justin flow through the kiss, using his tongue to convey that which he would never say. He didn't stop until a small moan escaped from deep in Justin's chest. Pulling back, Brian stared at the glazed lust evident in Justin's eyes. Clearing his throat he said, "This... whatever this is or may be, doesn't have to be written in black and white Justin. It just is. The contract only guarantees that we're living together on a trial basis, but your body is your own to give or withhold as you please. I wouldn't force you, but I think after feeling you tremble when I touch you or moan when I kiss you, that neither one of us will find fucking each other a hardship. And it will be for the same reason that last night happened. I want you, plain and fucking simple."

As harsh and beguiling by turns as the words were, Justin received Brian's open invitation to his bed without any other strings attached. He couldn't and wouldn't deny that he had enjoyed his time there and was looking forward to many return visits throughout the week. If nothing else came of it, that was fine with Justin, since he wasn't looking for anything beyond a good fuck, or in Brian's case, a great one. This morning before the shit hit the proverbial fan, Justin realized that he had slept better than he had in years. He was loath to peel himself out of Brian's strong arms, having felt a measure of safety that he hadn't even realized he lacked. So maybe spending the week at Brian's hideaway really wouldn't be so bad. "Okay Brian, but just promise me that if you want me out, you'll give me a few days to set something up for myself."

"I can do that, but I doubt that I will want you to go anywhere. After all, we're supposed to be in a relationship. It only gives credence to our deception, don't you think?" Brian smirked at the last comment and Justin couldn't help but snicker.

"I think Mr. and Mrs. Chartrez bought our act."

"I'm sure they did, but that leaves a few more things that you and I need to discuss with everyone. Craig and Marlene are up to something and frankly, I don't trust them. They are too keen on your sister, Justin."

"I know. Molly being pregnant - God have mercy, I still can't believe my sister's married and pregnant- is not going to help matters. I know this is about money especially since Molly is an heiress, but the question is who are they trying to pay off? Either way, I really don't think her husband or his family is going to take it lying down. They may be WASP, but I get the feeling they don't mind causing a scene when it comes to protecting one of their own."

Brian nodded. "You ready to head on back inside now? The wind is picking up again and Ava said that if you catch a cold she's going to..."

"Bust the snot out of me?"

Brian laughed. "Close but she said ‘beat.' I take it she's threatened you this way before?"

"Countless times and she was being modest. Usually she tells me that if I get sick I will be missing certain valuable body parts."

"Ouch! Remind me not to piss her off."

"Why do you think Harry is so restrained when dealing with Ava? She may be small but she's one dangerous little lady."

Brian got up from the seat. He paused to look out over the water for a minute, taking in a lungful of the crisp air and exhaling it on a huff. He didn't know what it was about Justin Taylor that called up every single protective instinct and caused the urge to disregard his mantras of self-preservation that he had worked so hard to reinforce over the years. But looking down at the picture-perfect man with the blond hair and blue eyes, Brian knew that he wouldn't trade an ounce of it for anything. In the short time they had known each other, Justin made Brian remember what it was like to genuinely trade barbs and bawdy humor with someone other than Em, Ted or Cynthia. He remembered what it felt like to relax a bit and not have to guard every single thought because someone would take its meaning wrong or attach their own desires to his words. With Justin, he felt free to be himself, without judgement or expectations. He didn't feel the fear that had shadowed him for so long. The fear that Brian wore like armor or greeted like an unwelcome old friend. Everything inside him screamed that Justin was different, and yet the same...a kindred spirit of sorts.

Turning away from the water and shaking off his sudden fanciful notions and self-examination, he reached down offering his hand to the man on the bench, still looking out over the water. He half expected that Justin wouldn't grasp his proffered hand, so he was a little surprised and delighted when he felt the smaller but no less strong hand grip his own. Pulling Justin up and wrapping his arms around the younger man, Brian looked down into the blue eyes he was fast becoming addicted to. They had changed from the despondent look they held earlier to one of wary hope. Brian smiled down into them. He could understand that. It was all so new, so different from either of their norms, and Brian couldn't stop the thought that this was his own new beginning. Perhaps it was or it wasn't, but Brian was looking forward to seeing just what he could have if he would give himself a chance. So the week ahead wasn't just a trial period for Justin but one for Brian as well. And there was no way that he was going to miss his chance to start anew; he wouldn't let Justin miss his either.     

Chapter End Notes:

I'm trying to rework my writing schedule at the moment because real life has decided to rear its ugly head at my expense. I'll get it all together again soon!! 

Happy Reading Y'all!

~Nichelle