- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

 

The defintion of Cutbuddy: origin- New jack Slang... means a 'best friend' or someone of a like mindset (ie. the person you would repeatedly cut class with in school) 

~Part IX:  DESPERATE TIMES

 

Everyone hurried away from the windows when they noticed Brian and Justin heading back into the kitchen.

 

 

 

“So… anybody else think this may be the real deal for the two of them?” Emmett asked them.

 

 

 

“I don’t know but I’ve never seen Brian look at anyone that way,” Ted stated.

 

 

 

“What way is that?” Harry demanded to know, his fatherly feelings towards Justin asserting themselves.

 

 

 

“Let me give you a small history lesson of Brian Kinney,” Mel began. “Not so long ago, he was considered the Stud of Liberty Avenue- the one everyone wanted and the one everyone wanted to be. I knew him as my biggest nemesis for Lindsay’s affections. God, we would fight and fight, even when we were saying the same exact thing. I now believe that we just bought into Lindsay’s bullshit, but I digress. Anyway, to say that Brian was an unrestrained playboy would be an understatement. He fucked everything that moved and then moved on. I can honestly say that what Ted said is true. Brian looks at Justin like he is really interested in maybe becoming more.”

 

 

 

“I think he might be guys,” Leda interjects. “Ted and I have worked with Brian for a number of years now. He’s far different than the man that we all thought we knew. That’s not to say that he no longer indulges in sex for sex sake, but he’s far more discriminate than he used to be. I also know that although he’s had some encounters, he’s been experiencing a certain level of discontent lately. I know it well.”

 

 

 

“You would, wouldn’t you?” Mel smiles at Leda.

 

 

 

“Yeah Sugar lips. It’s why I’ve stopped running around myself. So Harry and Ava, I say just wait and see how it all plays out before going all protective parent on Justin’s behalf. You might be surprised at what you discover.”

 

 

 

“Well if what happened last night at Chartez is anything to go by, I’d say that Justin is a very lucky young man. Brian was protective enough to even make my own heart skip a beat.” Ava fanned herself in remembrance.

 

 

 

“Do I need to get the hose, Darling?” Harry smirked at his wife’s antics.

 

 

 

“Only if you’re wielding it and it involves some hot oil afterwards.”

 

 

 

“UGH!” The collective groan from the other occupants of the table had them all laughing in a matter of seconds. Which is how Brian and Justin found the group when they had returned.

 

 

 

“What did we miss?”

 

 

 

“Oh just a mention of hoses and hot oil. Very enlightening.” Emmett supplied, still chuckling.

 

 

 

“Harry and Ava, you didn’t!” Justin said as he joined in the laughter.

 

 

 

“Yeah we did. But we didn’t tell them that it was actually one of your adventures instead of ours.”

 

 

 

“Sunshine?” Brian chuckled to see the young man blushing bright red at that little tidbit of information. “And here I thought you were all innocent…”

 

 

 

“After last night, how could you still have that impression?” Justin asked, giving Brian a slight smirk and a raised eyebrow.

 

 

 

Brian pulled the younger man close, not hesitating for a second to demonstrate just how hot he found Justin. Pulling back, he looked down into the glazed eyes of the blond. “If we had the time right now, I would try to entice you into a repeat performance or better still a new demonstration.”

 

 

 

Justin smiled brightly. “I’m sure everyone would enjoy hearing the evidence of what I do to you, but alas duty calls, lover.”

 

 

 

Brian laughed, reaching out to give Justin’s cushiony bottom a saucy spank. “And in the immortal words of ‘Shaft’ it’s my duty to please that booty.”

 

Justin and Brian cackled as the rest of the company looked on in shock. None of them had ever seen Brian in a comical light nor had Harry and Ava seen Justin as relaxed around a group of strangers. Each had let the other see the goofy humor in the other, and it only reinforced the conversation that occurred before the unlikely lovers had reentered the kitchen.

 

 

 

Emmett was the first one to break the surprised silence among their group. “Do you see the possibilities now Harry? Ava?”

 

 

 

The short-statured redhead grinned in response. “Good gravy Darling, I reckon I do. But first, let’s get you all fed and then we’ll figure out what to do about the pains in the ass trying to break up my sons’ happiness.”

 

 

 

“Sons?” Brian asked, amid the residual chuckles.

 

 

 

“Yes love. Sons. I’ve always considered Justin the son of my heart and am happy to now include you in that. You just keep making him happy among all the unhappiness he’s facing and you won’t have to worry about Harry and I scalping you in your sleep. Okay Sugar?”

 

 

 

Brian looked at her and then at Justin; then back to her again. In his most solemn voice he said, “I don’t think you’ll have to worry too much about that Ava.”

 

 

 

“So what do we do about the Sap and Brandon?” Justin asked.

 

 

 

“For now Melanie and I will try to negotiate for you to be let out of your contract five days early. In the meantime, you start building your portfolio with Brian and Kinnetik.” Harry answered him.

 

 

 

“We know that it won’t be easy to get him to see reason since technically you’re his star attraction, but considering he entered into a contract illegally with Brandon, using you as the bargaining chip, you can’t be held responsible for costing him business. There wasn’t a sign-on bonus which changed hands in advance of your contract ending and if we’re honest, even when you joined the dance troupe there was a clause for an exit strategy listed. You’ve fulfilled all of your contractual obligations as of a month ago so if he does try to engage a lawsuit, you can sue for Defamation of Character and Breach of Contract. The clause states that you or he may terminate the contract at any time without reason or notice.” Mel added.

 

 

 

“I had that put in there because at the time, I didn’t know if I would need to return home to take care of Molly.”

 

 

 

“And has that clause been updated or terminated since you signed this contract?”

 

 

 

“No. It wasn’t even an option until recently when I began thinking that I wanted to put down some roots.”

 

 

 

“Then unless he produces a document that you signed after this one, he has no case.” Harry said.

 

 

 

Brian’s phone rang while they were still trying to exhaust every possible scenario that Gary might try to come up with to counteract Justin’s refusal to return. Justin kept one ear to the conversation but was also listening to Brian’s increasingly agitated responses to the person he was speaking to on the phone.

 

 

 

“I don’t give a fuck what she says Cyn. She is NOT to wait there for my return. I have nothing to say to her or her cutbuddy standing there waiting to ambush me. If she persists in this nonsense, call the police and have her removed. Whatever is going on in her head regarding HER child is NOT my concern. Do it while I’m on the phone and put me on speaker.”

 

 

 

~LS~

 

 

 

Cynthia did as Brian told her. Honestly she was at her wits end with the entire situation. Upon arrival at the office this morning, she encountered not only Lindsay Peterson waiting for her but her ever-present sidekick Michael Novotny. How these two idiots were ever friends with Brian, Ted, and Emmett was anyone’s guess. But the fact that even though she had told both that Brian wouldn’t be in the office due to Kinnetik business, they vowed that they would remain there, even past closing, to wait for him until he does return. Then Lindsay demanded that she bring Ted in there since Cynthia was powerless to make Brian ‘climb out of whatever hole he’s fucking’.

 

 

 

Cynthia had almost cussed her out except that one of their more prominent account heads walked into the door at that moment and she couldn’t show anything but the professionalism the client came to expect from Kinnetik. So she hurried to her office and called Brian to advise him of what was going on, even while placing Ernest Templeton of Vibe Clothing down the hall in Brian’s office with Marcy, the receptionist for company. Thank goodness he had a thing for her and hopefully Marcy would stop putting the man off, thinking that if she was dating him, it would result in a conflict of interest with the company. She really needed to talk to Brian about that too, but first things first.

 

 

 

“Lindsay and Michael, I’ve been instructed to tell you both to get a fucking life, solve your own problems beginning with seeking psychological help, and remove your asses from Kinnetik premises before the police do it for you and none to gently.”

 

 

 

“Who do you think you are to speak to me this way Cynthia? I’m the mother of Brian’s child! I demand the respect I’m due as the most important person in Brian’s life.” Lindsay sneered, disregarding everything Cynthia actually said.

 

 

 

“And I’m his best friend!” Michael whiningly intoned.

 

 

 

“Well since you don’t have Gus with you now, you pulling that I’m the mother of his child line is of no consequence. And as for you Michael, if you had said ‘I’m Brian’s best MOOCHER’ it might have been the truest thing to ever pass your lips. Now I’m going to tell you two One. More. Time. LEAVE!!”

 

 

 

“We’re not going anywhere! Do you hear me Cynthia?! NOWHERE, until Brian gets here!”

 

 

 

Lindsay sat down, planting her ass firmly in one of the cushioned chairs in the lobby, glaring at Cynthia as if daring her to bodily remove her. Michael, of course, followed suit with the same haughty look on his face. As for her part, Cynthia had had enough of playing the bullshit high school games Michael and Lindsay had been known for in the past. Looking at their sneering and pouting faces, she crossed over behind the reception desk, about to do what she had been instructed to do. Putting her cell phone down face up, Cynthia dialed the 111th precinct and asked for a squad car immediately to remove some human vermin that refused to leave. After completing the call, she advised the two trespassers that the police would be there momentarily.

 

 

 

“Brian you heard?” Cynthia asked.

 

 

 

“Brian? BRIAN!” Lindsay screamed, while Michael’s whine reached a whole new fever pitch just as the police entered the lobby of Kinnetik.

 

 

 

“BRIIIIIAAAAAAANNNNNNN!!!! Brian you need to fire this bitch! Lindsay could work for you and do a much better job than this other blonde bimbo here. Do you know she called the cops on us? On your BEST FRIENDS??!! Answer me, Brian!”

 

 

 

“Yes, Cynthia. I heard it all. Gus is here with me and safe. Justin and I will be down at the station to file a formal complaint with the police department. Can you please ask Donovan to get started on the restraining orders for me?”

 

 

 

“Restraining orders? Brian, you can’t be serious! I will not be ignored!”

 

 

 

“We’ll see, Glenn Close the sequel. In the meantime, is Ernest still there, Cynthia?”

 

Cynthia laughed aloud at Brian’s reference to “Fatal Attraction.” It definitely fit the bill of both Michael and Lindsay’s obsession with Brian. Clearing her throat of the residual chuckle, she confirmed, “Yes Brian. Ernest is currently in your office with Marcy for company. In the meantime, I will happily call Donovan and get the proceedings started. Is Justin coming with you into the office?”

 

 

 

“Who the fuck is Justin?” Michael screeched, causing the police to yank him around hard.

 

 

 

“Apparently you don’t understand what the right to remain silent means. It means to SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!” Officer Mitchell Danvers said.

 

 

 

The other officer chuckled in response. “It’s a wonder Deb raised this child without going deaf, isn’t it? Personally I probably would have ended up in jail for abuse. I still might for police brutality if both of these bitches don’t shut up.” Officer Sheryl Mathers confirmed. “Mr. Kinney, as soon as you can, come down to the station to file your complaint. If word on the street is correct, I doubt they will be able to post bail before you get here. We’ll put them in the same cell, away from gen pop so that they won’t get killed by the other inmates, but maybe they’ll drive each other crazy in the process.”

 

 

 

“Thank you Sheryl, I will be down there as soon as I can. There may also be another matter to speak with you about, although I’m not sure yet,” Brian said over the speaker of the phone.

 

 

 

“Let us know when you are.”

 

 

 

"Will do. Cyn, Justin and I will talk to you in a bit. Ted is here, so he’ll be arriving about the same time I will. Later.”

 

 

 

Brian clicked off leaving Cynthia to watch as Brian’s two Migraines were carted off and put none-too-gently into the back of the police car. She waved as the officers pulled the cruiser into traffic, laughing aloud at the twin scowls written on the two faces pressed against the window of the backseat. She walked back into the lobby once the car was no longer in sight, hearing the whir and buzz of a productive office and thought to herself, A wish FINALLY fulfilled! The wicked witch and her ever-present munchkin will now occupy the same space… and none of it surrounding Kinnetik or Brian Kinney. So LONG OVERDUE!!