- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Brian and Justin’s first year of marriage isn’t what they expect, but they’re finally ready to move forward…



Title: Stronger Together…
Story Type: AU
Word Count: 3206
Rating: R, Porn…
Warnings: Love, Passion, Romance and a Little Angst, okay a lot of Angst in the beginning…
Beta Queen: BigJ52
2014 Gift Exchange for: Oceanreign

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, plot, etc. are property of their respective owners, including, but not limited to Russell T. Davies, Cowlip, and Showtime. The author of this story is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended…

Story Summary: After surviving years in a long-distance relationship, they finally marry only to be separated again. Just as they’re finally about to be reunited their relationship is tested once more. But they’re always stronger together, determined to make things work.

Chapter Summary: Brian and Justin’s first year of marriage isn’t what they expect, but they’re finally ready to move forward…

Chapter One ~ It’s Only Time…

Justin’s POV

This past year has been a roller coaster ride. Brian and I can’t seem to get our schedules to line up, no matter how hard we try. We promised each other that things would be different once we were married. We have spent years together. Yet living apart, something had to give or we would surely have fallen apart. We married on a cold winter’s day in December of 2012, with a blizzard outside and most of Pittsburgh blanketed in snow. The streets looked like a frozen ghost town with temperatures hovering below zero for days on end, and the wind chill close to twenty below.

A winter weather emergency was declared, and the only ones foolish enough to venture out were those few family members who insisted on witnessing our nuptials. Maybe because they couldn’t quite believe that the great Brian Kinney and his twink were finally tying the knot. We were happy, we finally made it. Though it hadn’t been easy and at one point or another both of us were ready to walk away from each other, rather than continue to suffer the pain and heartbreak of all the disappointments over the last seven years.

First my career if you can call it that, struggled along without much notice from the critics, gallery owners or patrons of the arts. But Brian insisted that I keep on trying, no matter how much I wanted to throw in the towel. He’s always believed in me, maybe more than I believed in myself. I was lonely and depressed, the only time I was happy was when he came to New York for a long weekend. But he did come, every month and it gave me hope and something to look forward to.

It kept me inspired to paint; I wanted to be able to show him something new each time he visited. But those long weeks in between visits were hell. It was so hard to take all the rejections, and yet keep painting, always hoping my next painting would be the masterpiece that set me apart from all the other struggling artist. I rarely came back to Pittsburgh, except for the holidays. It became a tradition that I would stay for the month between Thanksgiving and New Year’s. I used to daydream about how it might be married to this man I so desperately loved, wishing all the while that I never had to return to New York.

Then last year I just decided that’s exactly what I wanted. I was finally ready to be Mr. Justin Taylor-Kinney, and the best part was that he was also ready to be Mr. Brian Taylor-Kinney. Somehow with Emmett’s help we pulled off the wedding in just three weeks, and married on Friday night, December 20, 2012. But nothing is ever how you plan and the wedding was great, except for being the coldest winter on record. We planned a spring honeymoon in Paris. It was going to be so perfect, and dare I say, ridiculously romantic.

Brian and I went back to New York in January to attend my graduation from Pratt University, after getting my Master of the Arts. Then while we packed up all my things for shipping, I was offered my first solo show at the Sloan Fine Art Gallery. I had been part of many art exhibits before, but I was always just one of several artists being featured for the show. I’ve sold dozen of paintings over the years to several well-known art collectors and galleries. I’ve even had newspaper and magazine articles written about my budding career. But my own show, this was big and I was ecstatic. Of course Brian claimed that he knew all along that it was just and matter of time before I hit it big. God, I love this man and how much he’s always been there for me, always so proud of me, never wavering in his belief of my talent.

But of course this meant that I’d have to paint like crazy until spring and, of course, my exhibit was set for the week we planned to go on our honeymoon. So it was pushed back to the middle of the summer, but after the success of my solo show I was offered a commission. It was for some big shot in Madrid, painting murals on the walls of his new corporate headquarters. We were both disappointed that our honeymoon was being postponed again, but excited about my new assignment. It was going to be hard being away from Brian again for what was supposed to be three months, which quickly turned into six months.

We made plans for Brian to come visit in August and then again in November. It was great being together in Spain and I was even able to take a week off for just the two of us. But it still wasn’t the month-long honeymoon we had planned and once Brian returned home, I was again alone and even more lonely. A couple months passed and I was counting down the days for Brian’s second vacation to visit me in Spain, then the two us would return to Pittsburgh together. But of course they kept changing the designs and extending my work schedule. Then Brian landed a big account for Fit-Bit and had to cancel his second visit to Madrid.

We were both devastated. This is not what we had planned when we got married. We had promised each other that we’d finally be together. Waking up together in the mornings and going to bed together every night. We were both looking forward to being a bit more domesticated, finally ready to be committed to each other and starting our life together. Finally fulfilling that promise we made to each other so long ago, lying in front of the fireplace at Britin. It almost seems like a lifetime ago.

So on December 1st I put my foot down and informed them that I was leaving in two weeks. No more changes. No exceptions. I was out of there and going home to my husband. Then I had this great idea that Brian and I should go to Paris for our anniversary. We would finally have our honeymoon and spend the holidays in Europe. It was all set. My commission was almost done and I was just wrapping up the last-minute details when Brian called and said something had come up, that he wouldn’t be able to make the trip.

I was furious. I totally went off on him and insisted that he come. I refused to accept no for an answer. All he could say was he was sorry and that it couldn’t be helped. Little did I realize that I would actually need another week myself to tie up all the loose ends on my commission. Brian was very understanding and said he actually had to be out of town a little longer than he had expected, but we’d be together soon. The next week was frantic. I couldn’t reach Brian by phone and I wasn’t sure where he was traveling to, or who his new client was.

By some miracle I actually finished up early and on December 17th I was finally flying back to Pittsburgh, excited about surprising Brian and ready to celebrate our first anniversary. I didn’t think anything of it when I got home and Brian wasn’t there. It was the middle of the afternoon and I needed a nap. But when I awoke, it was dark out and there still wasn’t any sign of Brian. Looking at the clock I noticed that it was almost 8 pm, so I called Brian’s cell, but it just kept rolling over to voicemail. I assumed that he was probably out with the guys having drinks after work, but after several more tries I called Ted and asked him where Brian’s new account was and when he was expected back in town.

“Justin, aaah… Brian’s out of town, but he’s not pitching a new account. He left a couple of days ago to see you in Madrid.”

“A couple of days ago? Are you sure, Ted?”

“Yeah, he isn’t due back at work until after the first of the year.”

“Really?”

“So, I guess he’s not in Spain with you?”

“No. I mean I’m not in Spain. I flew home early to surprise him. I guess we both had the same idea. But a couple of days ago? He should have been there before I left.”

“Have you tried his cell?”

“Yeah, but I’ll try again. Thanks, Ted.”

Justin leans back against the big fluffy pillows on the bed as he pushes the speed dial on his phone for Brian. It rings and rings then finally Brian answers.

“Hey, Sunshine. How’s sunny Spain?”

“Sunny… Brian, please tell me you’re not on a plane headed to Spain.”

“Nope…”

In the background Justin can hear muffled announcements over the intercom, and it sounds just like an airport.

“It sounds like you’re at the airport. Please promise me you’re not planning on surprising me in Madrid.”

“Nope.”

He voice is slurred and he seems just a little too happy-go-lucky. Justin can’t help thinking that he’s drunk.

“So… Where are you?”

“Nothing to worry about. I’m all snuggled down, tucked in my bed.”

“Really? Your bed?”

“Yep.”

“Brian, I’m lying on our bed right now and you’re not here.”

“Really? You’re home?”

“Yes, Brian. Now where the hell are you? Or should I be asking whose bed are you tucked into?”

“You’re really home?”

Yep, he’s drunk… “Brian, talk to me…”

“Mr. Kinney! I told you no cell phones!”

In a very slurred voice Brian says, “It’s Taylor-Kinney.”

The next voice Justin hears is some woman telling him that Mr. Taylor-Kinney isn’t allowed any phones calls at this time and starts to hang up.

Justin yells into the phone. “Wait. Wait. Please tell me where Brian is.”

“Who’s calling?”

“This is Justin Taylor-Kinney, his husband.”

“You don’t know where your husband is, Mr. Taylor-Kinney?”

“I’ve been out of the country. Please tell me where he is.”

“He’s about to go into surgery.”

“Surgery? Where?”

“Johns Hopkins Oncology Surgical Unit.”

“I’ll be there as fast as I can…”


Waiting is the Hardest Part…

Justin’s POV

It seemed to take forever for the plane to finally take off. Luckily I was able to get a flight out at 10 pm. Now that we’re airborne my mind is racing, thinking back over this last year. I noticed Brian was thinner but I just figured that it had something to do with the fact that we were now married and he was trying to prove that he was still young and beautiful; of course he’ll always be young and beautiful to me. I did notice he seemed to be nauseous a lot and had lost even more weight when he came for a visit in August, but with his golden tan and flat stomach I just didn’t think much of it.

Now I’m just kicking myself for not really noticing it, not saying something. I can’t help feeling like I’ve wasted so much time, not just this last year when we should have been together, but all those years I spent in New York. I hated being so far away from him. Why didn’t I insist on coming home sooner? Lord knows I wanted to. To be truthful I didn’t really want to go in the first place, but Lindsay convinced Brian that I had to be in New York. It was the only place I could become the great artist that I was meant to be. What a load of crap. But Brian bought right into all of it, and once he decides something, it’s hard to convince him that he’s wrong.

That’s one thing I finally learned while I was growing up in New York. I have to make my own decisions. I was ready to come home, ready to marry him, and ready to live in this beautiful mansion he bought me a few years ago. So that’s why I can’t help asking myself why. Why didn’t I just leave, after I finally came home to him? Why, why, why? It’s all I can do to not burst out crying, worrying about Brian and his health. What if we don’t have years together? What if he doesn’t make it? Just the thought of losing him after waiting so long for our future to start is making me crazy. I flag the stewardess down and order another double Jack Daniels to calm my nerves.

~~~

I’m pacing in the waiting room, scared out of my mind and furious with the nurses. They can’t tell me anything about Brian’s surgery. I have to talk with his doctor. But of course his doctor is in surgery, so I don’t even know where the cancer has spread to, or how long he’ll be in the operating room. Does his doctor doesn’t even know to come and tell me once he’s in recovery? Oh God. What if he doesn’t recover? It happens you know. Some people never come out of the anesthesia. Tears are running down my face now, and I don’t even try and hide them. Everyone here in this waiting room is here for their loved one suffering from cancer. They know how hard and painful it is worrying and waiting, just like me.

To calm myself I start making lists in my head of everything I want to experience with Brian. I’m not willing to put anything off from now on. We’re going to Paris and Ibiza this next year. I’m going to insist he slows down and stop working 60 – 70 hours a week. Hell, maybe he should take a year off and just spend it resting and relaxing. Just enjoying our marriage. Okay maybe not, we might kill each other. I just don’t want to look back and think what if we had done things differently. I already have so many regrets.

He told me the night before we got married that he wanted us to travel, to spend our summers seeing the world. We talked about visiting Europe, seeing France, Italy, and Greece, seeing all the historic architecture and the great museums. He wanted to see the pyramids and the Great Wall of China. He said he wanted us to see the world together, that there was so much to experience and it was me he wanted to experience it with.

He loved it in Spain, and I wish we had taken more time to really explore the country. I let myself get too caught up in my work and, even though I was there six months, I rarely saw much of the countryside. I have to learn to stop and remember to live life. I’ve spent so much time projecting what my future will be, that I haven’t really let myself experience the present. You’d think I would have learned that lesson after Ben passed away. He used to say, ‘You have to live each moment to the fullest.’ I vow from now on things are going to be different. Brian and I are going to slow down and enjoy life.

Oh God, I’m so worried about him. I’m so angry that he didn’t tell me about his cancer returning. We’re married now, we’re not supposed to have secrets. But knowing him I’m sure he thought it was best not to worry me, or disturb me while I was away. But that’s total bullshit! I want to be mad at him, but I can’t. I love him so much. What the fuck is taking so long? I need to know what’s going on! I feel like screaming!

It’s all catching up with me even though I’ve had a nap. I’m really still in a different time zone. I feel exhausted so I finally settle down and soon I’m fast asleep in that hard plastic chair. I think they make those chairs especially for waiting rooms, just to make sure you’re as uncomfortable as possible, while you worry about your loved ones, praying that they pull through. Even though I’m asleep I can still hear all the others whispering, being overly emotional as they mill around, wearing a path in the carpet, pacing.

I’m not sure how long I’ve been asleep when I sense someone sitting next to me, maybe a little too close. I crack my eyes open to check them out and I’m so relieved when I see that it’s Daphne. I can’t believe she’s here; I never expected her to come. She’s doing her residency at George Washington University Hospital in Washington DC. She smiles down at me and squeezes my hand to let me know she’s here for me. Soon we’re hugging each other. My tears are back and I’m grateful to have someone here with me; it was horrible being alone, worried out of my mind.

She tells me Baltimore is really close to D.C., only about forty miles, but she couldn’t leave until her shift at the hospital was over. I can see it in her eyes; she knows more about Brian’s condition than she’s telling me and it’s starting to frighten me.

“Daph, you know, don’t you? Please tell me. I have to know what’s going on.”

“I don’t, not really… You need to talk with Brian’s doctor. He’ll know the specifics of Brian’s condition. He’ll be better at explaining his prognosis and the treatments available.”

“You’re really starting to scare me. Please just tell me, if you know.”

She takes a deep breath, exhaling slowly. “Okay, I talked with his nurse and was able to get a little information, but I don’t know the extent of his condition or his prognosis.”

“And…”

Daphne reaches out and takes my hand, and tries her best to stay calm and not scare me anymore than I already am.

“Brian has stomach cancer.”

“What? Stomach cancer? Oh my God!”

Tears well up in my eyes and I start shaking. Daph reaches out and pulls me into her arms and just lets me cry. As frightened as I am I have to ask, “Is he going to die?”

Tears are now running down both of our faces as she whispers, “I don’t know, Justin. I really don’t know.”

“I can’t lose him. I just can’t.”

“His nurse said they caught it early, which is really rare, and that they’re only removing part of his stomach. But I can’t really tell you anything more. We’ll have to wait until his surgery is over and we can talk with his doctor.”

“Oh God. I need a drink. This is worse than I imagined. He really could die, couldn’t he?”

“Hopefully not… But yes…”

TBC…

Author’s note: I researched Testicular cancer and the risks of the cancer spreading. Men who have had testicular cancer and underwent chemotherapy and or radiation are more susceptible to developing bladder, stomach and pancreatic cancer…

All the information, symptoms and treatments used in this story are from; WebMD, Cancer Treatment Centers of American and Cancer Research UK websites.