- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

What starts out as a private and romantic Christmas for Brian and Justin soon gets derailed…



Title: Stronger Together…
Story Type: AU
Word Count: 4252
Rating: R, Porn…
Warnings: Love, Passion, Romance and a Little Angst, okay a lot of Angst in the beginning…
Beta Queen: BigJ52
2014 Gift Exchange for: Oceanreign

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, plot, etc. are property of their respective owners, including, but not limited to Russell T. Davies, Cowlip, and Showtime. The author of this story is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended…

Story Summary: After surviving years in a long-distance relationship, they finally marry only to be separated again. Just as they’re finally about to be reunited their relationship is tested once more. But they’re always stronger together, determined to make things work.

Story Summary: What starts out as a private and romantic Christmas for Brian and Justin soon gets derailed…

Chapter Four ~ White Christmas...

It’s Christmas Eve and Brian decides he’s ready to venture out of the bedroom and actually rest and relax as they watch East of Eden, one of Brian’s favorite movies. Justin makes them a light meal of broiled white fish, mashed potatoes, and steamed vegetables. So far they’ve done pretty well with their food choices and Brian’s only been sick a couple of times. Of course he still tires easily and they’re back in bed by nine o’clock.

Justin wakes to Shelley coming home early. It’s only ten thirty and he’s surprised that she’s home so soon. It sounds like she’s alone and he knows that isn’t a good sign. Over the next half an hour he hears her crying on and off, and finally decides to check on her. He gently knocks on her door, then sticks his head in.

Justin’s POV

“Hey, are you okay?”

“Justin. I’m so sorry if I disturbed you two. I was trying to keep it down.”

“Can I come in?”

She shakes her head yes, and motions for him to sit next to her on the bed.

“Is there anything I can do? Do you want to talk about it?”

She stands and embraces him, even though they barely knew each other in school. She already feels close to him and welcomes a shoulder to cry on.

“It was horrible, a complete disaster. He’s just not the man I thought he was.”

“I’m so sorry. Tell me what happened.”

“I wanted to surprise him. I thought he’d be so proud of me. But when I told him I was accepted to medical school he totally flipped out.”

I’m pretty shocked. Shelley told me that he knew all about her dreams of becoming a doctor. It was all she ever talked about growing up. Both she and Daphne wanted to go to medical school. It seems like they’ve been together forever. I know she’s been dating Charlie since junior high school.

“Oh my God. I can only imagine how you’re feeling.”

“I told him before I left Chicago that I wanted to go back to school. I told him before I even applied to medical school, and he said he was fine with it.”

I just nod, motioning for her to continue.

“I was so sure we’d be celebrating my acceptance to Pittsburgh University Medical School and our engagement tonight.”

She starts crying again, so I hand her the box of Kleenex.

“He said he thought that I’d given up that nonsense of becoming a doctor, and not only that. He actually said he just assumed that I’d be a stay-at-home wife. He just expected me to quit my nursing job, and become a housewife once we were married.”

I just shake my head, staring at her. She continues…

“He said that when I mentioned I wanted to go to back to school, he just assumed I meant to take some cooking, or home decorating classes. ‘No wife of his was going to work!’ He just thought I’d be a good little housewife, like his mother.”

“He sure made a lot of assumptions. It seems like he didn’t even really know you at all.”

“Exactly! He has no clue who I am, or what I want in life. It’s like he never really listened when I talked to him.”

“I’m so sorry. You must be devastated.”

“I am… and the worst part is that we had this conversation right in front of everyone! All our family, friends and even some of my colleagues who came from Chicago for my engagement party. I just panicked and left. I drove around for a while before coming back here.”

“I’m so glad you did. I’m so glad you had some place to go so you could get away from everyone.”

“Me too… At least I still have the diamond ring, and I’ve decided I’m keeping it. I deserve it after putting up with him all these years. Besides, I can sell it to help pay for medical school. The ring cost a fortune, it’s actually two carats, and medical school isn’t cheap. I have no idea how I’m going to pay for it. My family’s not rich, but his was. So now that’s a problem, but I’ll figure something out.”

“Well at least you can stay here for now. You don’t have to worry about a place to live. I’m sure there are scholarships and grants you can apply for. I know you’re really smart. So please don’t worry, you’ll figure it out. Just give yourself some time to grieve. I know how devastating it is missing someone you love.”

“You know the thing is, I actually feel okay. I mean, it would be so much worse if I married him and then found out how he feels.”

“But then, of course, if we did marry I’d have the alimony and I’d be able to pay for medical school. Oh God, that sounded cold, didn’t it? Well, I guess I’m a bitch.”

“No. I understand. Anger is part of the grieving process, and ending a long-term relationship is a lot like surviving a death. I can find a joint, if you think that will help?”

“That’s sweet, but I think I’m all cried out and I just need to get some sleep.”

Justin hugs her, and wishes her a good night.

Christmas morning they wake to a fresh blanket of snow, covering the ground and the trees. The sun is shining brightly through the set of ceiling-to-floor windows in their bedroom. Brian’s in a good mood and even a little excited about Christmas, maybe for the first time in his life. Brian has his arm wrapped around Justin’s waist, who’s curled up next to him, drooling slightly on his forearm. Brian loves to watch Justin sleep. He looks so young, just like a little boy.

Justin’s eyes flutter open, gazing into Brian’s hazel orbs that seem to reflect the morning sun. He leans up and captures Brian lips with his, the kiss soft and gentle. Then Brian slides his hand behind Justin’s neck and it becomes more passionate. There’s nothing better than waking up in the arms of the man you love. Justin suggests that they have a cup of cocoa in front of the fireplace. He can’t help it if he’s a total romantic at heart.

It’s toasty and warm, all snuggled down under a quilt as they listen to the fire crackling, watching the snow fall. It’s almost like a picture postcard, inspiring Justin to get out his paints after breakfast to bring it to life on canvas. They don’t have a Christmas tree, but Justin has strung white twinkling lights on the large palm tree in the corner and around the windows, to make it feel festive. On the mantle he has about twenty vanilla candles, burning in all sizes and shapes, from tiny tea lights to large pillars. He even took out the silver candlesticks his aunt sent them for their wedding present.

Much to Justin’s surprise there’s presents under the make-shift Christmas tree. He can’t help wondering when Brian had a chance to put them there, let alone buy them. Brian’s never been big on Christmas; it has something to do with his residual memories of his unhappy childhood. Justin stares at him in astonishment, making Brian smirk, then he breaks out into a huge grin.

“Well, Santa heard you were a very good boy this year.”

“Did he now?”

“Yeah. Besides, I hate the idea of you being disappointed. I haven’t always been so attentive in the past, so I decided to make up for past holidays.”

Justin actually gets tears in his eyes. “I can’t believe you did this.”

“Well. Go on. Go get them. I want to watch you open them.”

Justin comes back with a stack of boxes in a variety of sizes. He opens one of the big ones first, tearing off the wrapping paper like an anxious child. His smile grows as he sees that it’s a caramel colored suede jacket, so soft and supple he can’t help running his hands over the velvety hide. He throws himself into Brian’s arms, kissing him madly.

“Thanks, I love it!”

He tries it on, modeling it for Brian as he struts across the living room. Brian hands him another one, a blue cashmere sweater that makes his eyes sparkle. The next one is smaller in size but big in surprise.

“Brian, you got me the new iPhone?”

“It’s the one you wanted, right? Besides, you lost your other one somewhere at Johns Hopkins.”

Justin’s all smiles, as he grabs another package and rips it open. Inside are several new pairs of pants. A couple pairs of blue jeans, and of course, his favorite cargo pants in beige, blue and black.

“You needed them. Have you seen all your pants? They’re covered in paint splatters. Maybe these you can keep paint free for a while.”

“Maybe. Thanks, Brian. God, there’s still so many. Let me run and get your presents.”

“Okay, but hurry back… and bring me a cup of that French roast on your way back please.”

Justin returns, carrying a tray with fresh brewed coffee, chocolate croissants and apple streusel. Brian makes a fuss about hating sweets, but he has a thing for chocolate croissants, and he loves anything apple. Justin sets down his pile of presents he had hidden away in his studio, although it’s not as big as the stack of presents from Brian. He hands Brian the largest of the bunch - a large box with a smaller box on top, held together with fancy metallic ribbon. They’re heavy, making Brian wonder what’s inside.

“You have to open them to find out what’s inside.”

Unlike Justin, Brian meticulously removes the paper from the top box, and folds it nicely, setting it on the coffee table next to them. Justin impatiently rolls his eyes as he watches him carefully open the box and then the tissue paper. But he’s happy when he sees the surprise on Brian’s face. “Wow, Sunshine, it’s beautiful.”

Brian holds up his new leather briefcase, caressing the soft burgundy leather. He blushes a little as he’s not used to receiving really nice presents. It’s hard for him to believe that he deserves them, although he should be used to it by now. Justin always goes out of his way to get Brian nice things that will remind Brian of him of how much he loves him. Brian leans in and captures Justin’s lips. “I love you.”

“You better!”

“Brat.”

“Now open the bigger one. They go together.”

Brian glances at him, still wondering what would go with a briefcase. But he’s truly pleased when he sees that it’s a matching suitcase.

“I didn’t wrap the whole set. The rest of the suitcases, duffel bag, and hanging suit bag are still in my studio. I hope you like them. I plan on making sure they get good use this year.”

Brian’s more than pleased. Besides being beautiful deep burgundy leather, they’re designed by Michael Kors, one of his new favorite designers. He’s been using the luggage he bought when he first started traveling for business, back when he worked for Ryder.

“Now you open another one from me.”

Justin starts to motion for him to open the thick envelope, but Brian glares at him, “Justin, just open it.”

Brian sips his coffee, as Justin slowly runs his finger underneath the tape, driving Brian crazy as Justin imitates him.

“Oh, for Christ sake, just tear it open!”

So Justin does, but it’s lightweight tricking Justin into thinking it’s something small. There’s a note inside that says to look in the coat closet. He’s really surprised when he sees a suit bag tucked in the back, hiding behind their coats and jackets. It’s a new suit Brian had made just for him by his tailor. Justin holds up the navy-blue suit jacket. “It’s so beautiful, Brian. But where am I going to wear a suit?”

“Now that you’re coming into your own in your career, you’ll need a good suit on occasion. And if you’re a good boy, I just might take you out to a five-star restaurant for dinner, sometime.”

Justin’s all smiles as he opens the next box. It has several dress shirts inside - white, light blue, royal blue, red and black.

“Don’t let me catch you painting in those shirts. They cost me a pretty penny.”

“Yes, sir. I promise.”

Justin hands Brian another present. It’s very small, and inside the box is a gold bracelet, with a design of Celtic knots woven together in platinum across the top. Brian smiles as he runs his fingers across the raised knot pattern. Justin can tell he loves it. His heritage means a lot to him and he’s happy that Justin acknowledged it.

“Thanks, Sunshine, I love it.”

“I hoped you would. It looks beautiful against your skin tone.”

Justin’s next two presents are small, but he loves them and always seems to want them. The first is a gift box of his favorite Belgian Chocolates with a variety of dark, milk and white chocolate truffles, caramels and nut clusters.

“Try not to eat them all in one day. You might actually get fat.”

Justin looks shocked. “Are you calling me fat?” With that he wraps his arms around Brian’s neck and kisses him.

“Promise me you’ll still love me when I’m old and fat.”

“I promise. I’ll probably have Alzheimer’s by then, so I won’t know who you are anyways.”

Justin goes to swat him across the chest, but Brian pulls him into his arms and runs kisses across his shoulders as he squirms, tickled by Brian’s day-old beard.

The next box is full of art supplies - sable paintbrushes, charcoal pencils and a stack of sketch pads in various sizes. Along with Justin’s favorite brand paints, tubes in every color imaginable, it’s the biggest paint set he’s ever seen. He’s in heaven and can’t wait to start painting again. It’s been so long since he’s painted a canvas, after spending months working so hard on the murals.

There’s one last present for Justin. Brian insists he open it before he finishes opening up Justin’s last presents to him. This one is heavy, yet compact. Of course he should be able to tell what it is, but he’s not thinking.

“Brian, what could possibly be this heavy and so thin?”

“You’ll have to open it up and find out now, won’t you?”

Justin sets it on the coffee table so he won’t drop it, and starts to rip off the paper. He sees the box and gasps.

“Brian, you bought me a new Apple MacBook Pro?”

Brian just grins at him, doing that thing he does with his lips, pulling them into his mouth, looking totally adorable.

Justin’s so excited he’s giddy, practically jumping up and down. Then he turns and hugs Brian, kissing him madly.

“Oh God, Brian! I love you so much! I can’t believe you did this! Oh God! Fuck! I just can’t believe this!”

“Okay, calm down. We don’t want an accident and have you wet your pants!”

Justin’s so excited he almost forgot his last few presents for Brian.

“Oh, you still have a couple to open. I was planning on doing some shopping once I got back from Spain, but I haven’t really had time. So…”

“Just hand them to me. I know I’ll love whatever you got me.”

Justin hands Brian three more presents, all rather small and lightweight. Brian shakes the first one, and it rattles a little. It’s a tin of cashews. Brian’s other indulgence that he rarely allows others to know about.

“Umm, my favorite! But I’m guessing I’ll have to share them with you.”

“Of course.”

The next one is long and slender, containing several designer ties that will look great with Brian’s suits, and the last one looks like a thick card, but it’s wrapped in tissue paper instead of an envelope. Brian slowly tears the tissue paper off, and sees that it’s actually a small book that Justin’s made. The cover reads, ‘Brian and Justin’s Big Adventure.’

The first page looks like a passport that’s full of stamps, showing the destinations he’s drawn on the next pages. He’s illustrated the two of them on vacation in various countries that they’ve always talked about visiting. The heading on each page announces the country they’re visiting in calligraphic scroll. In Ibiza, it shows the two of them, lying on a beach, being waited on by a cabana boy. In Paris, it’s the two of them holding hands in front of the Eiffel Tower. In Italy, he pictures them drinking wine near the Coliseum. Next, the two of them are exploring an archaeological dig near the Parthenon in Greece.

He’s drawn them saluting the guards at Buckingham Palace in England, and skiing the slopes of the Swiss Alps. Then they’re riding camels, visiting the Pyramids of Egypt, then standing on the Great Wall in China. Next they’re in Ireland, visiting the old castles and the beautiful Cliffs of Moher. He pictures them standing on the deck of a ship, cruising the Caribbean and enjoying the sand and surf.

Then they are doing a jaunt around the States, surfing in Hawaii and eating lobster in Maine. They visit Mount Rushmore in South Dakota, and the Grand Canyon in Arizona. In San Francisco he has them dancing at a gay nightclub in the Castro and standing on the Golden Gate Bridge. Finally they’re in Las Vegas, gambling and watching a floor show of an Elvis impersonator. He ends the travel log with them visiting Niagara Falls, looking up at the great waterfalls with a beautiful rainbow in the background. After all it is the ultimate spot for lovers.

“How about it? Can I take you on a trip around the world?”

Brian’s truly flabbergasted. He just grins at Justin, wondering how he ended up marrying someone so loving and caring.

“I don’t know what to say, the illustration are just amazing. You’re so talented, I feel like I should take the book apart and have them framed. “I love you, Justin. You really are the best! I don’t deserve you.”

Justin blushes, and then leans in to kiss Brian. They fall back against the sofa and make out like teenagers for a little while. That is, until they hear Shelley returning, after sneaking out early this morning to spend Christmas with her family. But after several hours she had to escape as everyone just kept saying how sorry they were about last night, and no one seemed to know what else to say to her.

“Please join us. I can make you some cocoa, or fresh-ground French roast coffee?”

“Thanks, but I don’t want to disturb your Christmas day. I’ll just go up to my room and maybe take a nice long bath and relax.”

“Alright, if that’s what you want to do. But please join us for dinner. I’m roasting a small turkey breast and I’m making all the fixings.”

“That’s so sweet, but I shouldn’t. I know how much you want your privacy.”

Brian just looks at her. “I’d really like you to join us, so I hope you’ll change your mind.”

Justin’s in the kitchen making them a little breakfast, an egg-white omelet with a side of hash browns for him and a side of whole wheat toast for Brian. Brian’s reading the newspaper, yes, the actual paper. There’s just something about holding the real newspaper and reading it; he loves reading the business section. Justin’s finishing up the plates with orange slices, when he answers the phone. He assumes it’s his mom, or Daphne calling to wish them a Merry Christmas.

He’s surprised to hear Ted’s voice. “Justin, I’m so sorry to have to call and tell you this but Lindsay just couldn’t keep her big mouth shut. Now everyone’s planning on surprising you, by bringing Christmas dinner out to your house.”

“Oh Fuck! You’re joking, right?”

“I’m afraid not. You know once Debbie and Michael get something in their heads it’s hard to persuade them otherwise.”

“Give the phone to Debbie. I’ll set her straight.”

After a very long conversation, and many rounds of arguing they finally agree to come out for dessert and coffee in the evening. They agreed to only stay an hour, and then let Brian get some rest. Justin couldn’t stress enough that Brian wasn’t feeling well, and any longer would be too taxing for him.

Luckily they had an early dinner at midday, and plan on a small snack of turkey sandwiches later that evening. It’s easier on Brian’s digestive system to eat small portions often throughout the day and evening. Shelley and Justin have just finished the dishes and are cleaning up the kitchen, when a caravan of cars drive up the long driveway and everyone descends on the house. Brian was actually taking a nap on the sofa, tucked under a quilt, in front of the fire when he was woken by the doorbell. He sits up abruptly, still a little dazed and groggy when he hears the commotion in the front hallway.

“Deb! We agreed on early evening and it’s only three thirty.”

“I know, but it’s Christmas and we wanted to celebrate.”

“Need I remind everyone that Brian’s sick? So please keep it down and don’t upset him. You know how he can be when he’s grumpy and doesn’t feel well. And please remember we agreed to one hour and I’m holding you all to that.”

They barge in, all talking at once, ignoring Justin’s request as they call out to Brian. Michael spots him on the sofa first. “There you are. Merry Christmas!”

He leans in to kiss Brian, but Brian holds up his hand and smiles. “I really don’t feel well. Besides, I didn’t think you were coming until after dark?”

“I wanted to see you. It’s been so long since we’ve gotten together.”

“Michael, we saw each other a week ago.”

“I know but it’s Christmas. We should be together. After all we’re family, and it’s a tradition.”

Shelley smiles at Justin, excusing herself to go upstairs to her room.

Next is Debbie who comes towards Brian, ready to smother him in a big hug, as usual.

“Deb, please. I’m really not feeling well.”

“Justin, is that chicken soup I made for Brian ready yet?”

“I’m going to save that for later.”

“No, he’s sick, so heat it up now. It’s just what the doctor ordered.”

It slips from Brian’s lips before he has time to catch it.

“Actually the doctor said not to eat soup.”

“What? What kind of doctor instructs you not to eat soup with a stomach flu? What does he know? My soup cures everything.”

Brian looks away, but it’s too late. Debbie notices the look on his face and won’t let it go.

“Brian, tell me. What’s going on? What’s wrong with you?”

“Nothing.”

“Bullshit!”

“Okay, don’t any of you freak out. It’s not the stomach flu… It’s stomach cancer.”

“Michael breaks into full drama mode. “What? Why didn’t you tell me? Oh My God, not again! Oh Brian!”

Justin pulls Michael into the other room. “Stop it! Just stop it!”

“But I’m Brian’s best friend. I should be here for him. You should have told me.”

“Then act like his best friend, and respect his wishes. Please don’t go all drama queen on him, like last time.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

“Last time you were so upset and distraught, it was Brian who had to comfort you.”

“I just care about him. Of course I was upset, and I am upset now.”

“So grow up and be his best friend. Stop freaking out. Be supportive. But let him rest and recuperate in privacy, like he wants. He’ll feel better after a couple of weeks and then you can visit for longer periods of time.”

Michael looks at Justin, angry and upset, but then it sinks in. This isn’t about him and his feelings of being left out. He finally hears what Justin is trying to tell him. So he backs off and promises that they’ll only stay long enough to have coffee and pumpkin pie. He goes over and puts his arm around Deb’s shoulder, asking her to help him cut the pie. As soon as Deb steps away from Brian, Lindsay is right there babying him like a child.

“Oh Brian! I can’t believe you’re sick!”

She starts trying to fluff his pillows and pamper him.

“Why, thank you so much for respecting our privacy like we asked you to do.”

“Brian. We always spend Christmas together. How was I supposed to know you were really sick? You didn’t tell me the truth!”

Michael returns, carrying a tray of coffee cups into the living room. Debbie’s right behind with plates of pumpkin pie with whipped cream. Justin comes in, holding up the pot of coffee. “Who’s ready pie and coffee?”

Everyone in the room tries to show their support and concern, not knowing what they should say. As promised everyone heads home after an emotional hour and calm returns as Justin sits on the sofa. Brian rests his head in his lap and soon he’s asleep as Justin runs his fingers through his hair.

TBC…