- Text Size +
Story Notes:

DISCLAIMER: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

Author's Chapter Notes:

Thank you for all the work you did as a beta Lorie. Also thanks to Tagsit for the amazing banner.

JUSTIN

 

I was standing outside the diner waiting for Brian to come pick me up when Ted pulled up.

“Hey, need a ride?” Ted asked

“Well, I was waiting for Brian.” I replied.

“Oh, well I think he’s busy” Ted tells me.

Great, another night where I get left behind because of a trick. It didn’t happen often because Brian tended to keep his word, but usually he would call me so I wouldn’t wait for him.

“Well a ride would be great then.” I replied.

“Where to?” Ted asked.

Well that’s a good question since I live with Brian. So I sit there thinking, then pull out my phone and call Brian.  

What I hear is “Keep the bed warm. Hello” The strange thing is that it’s Michael’s voice I hear on the line.

“Hello? Anybody there? Hello?”

I think I went into shock. Because why does anyone need to keep the bed warm for Michael. While I ponder this, I look over at Ted and he looks like he knows something.

“Sorry Michael. Can I talk to Brian?” I ask.

“What do you need? He’s busy.” Michael responds.

“I need to ask him a question.” I answer.

“Well he can’t come to the phone Justin. We're busy. You know what that’s like don’t you?” he sneers.

At this point I just hang up the phone and look over at Ted. “What's going on Ted?” I ask.

“All I know is that Michael and Ben fought and then Ben left and I know Brian was taking Michael to the loft to talk.” Ted said.

Here’s the thing about this that pisses me off. I get forgotten the minute 'Mikey' has a problem.  

“What were they fighting about?” I ask.

“I really don’t know.” Ted replies.

Well, I really don’t know where to go. I could go to Daph’s, but really I just want quiet tonight.  

“You can stay at my place if you want to.” Ted offers.

Ted is the kind of guy that people walk all over because he is nice, but he is also loyal when you need him.  

“Are you sure you don’t mind?” I ask, not wanting to put him out.

“Yes, it’s fine.” Ted replied.

So off we go to Ted’s. When we get there he gets me a blanket and pillow, then heads towards his bedroom. As he’s walking, the phone rings. Ted turns to pick it up but the phone isn’t on the base. By the time Ted finds the phone, his machine has picked up and I hear Michael's voice.

“Ted if you’re there pick up, you will never believe it. I scored tonight.” Ted hits the machine and picks up the phone.

“Michael can we talk about this later?” Ted says. Michael was talking but Ted was trying to be careful that I didn't hear it.

I think I was just numb at this point. My partner? Boyfriend? The guy who fucks me more than once? Wow, that is pretty bad when I can’t even put a name to it. Why is he having sex with Michael now? I mean, how many years have they been friends, 16 or so. I think I just blanked out because Ted is there with his arm around me telling me it will be alright. All I can think to say is, “Will it really?” I guess Ted realized that I wasn’t going to respond to him after that because he just sank back with me into the sofa and put the blanket over us.

Around 3:10 am my phone rings. It’s Brian. I stare at it then hand it to Ted, who woke up when he heard it ring.

“Hello? No it’s Justin’s phone. Well I was driving by and picked him up from work, you asshole. Well he doesn’t want to talk to you right now. Michael called to tell me the news. No, he doesn’t want to talk to you” Ted really is a God send some days.  

“Justin do you want to talk to Brian?” Ted asks. I shake my head no. I wouldn’t have any idea what to say to him.  

“Sorry he doesn’t want to talk. Bye.” Ted tells Brian, hanging up. Then he makes another call. “Em can you come over?” Ted asks.

I’m still sitting here with Ted holding me when I see Emmett standing in front of me.

“What is going on?” Em asks

“We aren’t absolutely sure, but the best I can figure is that Michael and Ben had a fight and Brian comforted him. Completely.” Ted answers.

“You’re kidding right? I mean Brian couldn’t have done something that stupid.” Em seems to have just as hard a time grasping this as I am.  

“I mean, why would either one of them risk their relationships?” Em just sits there like the apocalypse has happened.  

I really wanted to point out to both Em and Ted that Michael and Brian are both assholes. But decided that I just didn’t have the strength to say it. Instead I turn to Ted and let him continue to hold me. Emmett decides that we all need sleep. I don’t want to move, it’s like having a parent hug me. So I ask Ted to just stay with me.

 

TED

I cannot believe that Brian and Michael did this to Justin, well maybe Michael, because he has always been jealous of Justin. I will admit that when I first met Justin I just saw him as a little kid. The thing is, he is probably smarter than all of us, and more mature in some ways. When he first came along, the first thing I noticed was his ass, then he spoke and I realized there was a brain in there.  

When I first came out of rehab Justin didn’t really say much about it. Then when I started working for Brian, he came to my office and said “You make me proud that I can call you my friend.” That was probably the best thing someone could say to me.  

So as I sit here holding him, I wonder what the fuck is wrong with my friends. I mean here are Em and I, each looking for a partner, and Brian and Michael each have great partners and what do these assholes do? They try to fuck it up.

As I sit there thinking of ways to tell them both off, I hear someone banging on my door at 4am. Em comes out of the bathroom and walks to the door.

“No Brian, you are not coming in tonight” Em blocks his way.

“Move Em, I need to get Justin and we are going home” Brian replies.

Em is trying to keep Brian out, but Brian pushes through and looks at the scene in front of him. “Are you done holding him Theodore? Because I need to get us home.” Brian asks.

Justin looks up at him and starts laughing and crying at the same time. “Do you really think that I am going to go home with you after you fucked Mikey in my bed?” Justin asks in a low voice. “Because that would really show how low class you are.”

Brian stands there for a second and then turns to leave. Before he reaches the door though, he turns back around and says, “No, low class is fucking around behind someone's back.”

 

JUSTIN

“Really? You are going to bring that up now. I mean, it only happened two years ago, so why not. Shit, I guess that makes sense though, you need a way to make this my fault. But you know what, I didn’t stick my dick in Michael tonight, so I guess you need to take some of the blame. Do me a favor, tell your boyfriend that Zephyr and Rage can fly off a bridge together as far as I am concerned.”

Brian looks at Ted and Emmett and asks them to leave the room so that he can talk to me. After they go in the other room Brian tells me, “Michael and Ben got in a fight because Ben cheated. So we went back to the loft and got drunk and stoned and he tried to suck me off.”

I looked at Brian and really don’t know what is stranger; the shit coming out of his mouth, or the fact that he thinks this is an explanation.  

“Brian, you have about two seconds to get away from me before I kick the shit out of you.”

“Look Justin, you never had a problem with the tricking, why start now?”

“Brian, I asked you to leave. I will not sit here with you trying to make me swallow your crap.” Then I got up and walked into the bedroom with Ted and Em.

Emmett walked out of the bedroom and we could hear him telling Brian that he needed to leave. Em came back and hugged me. Then I laid there with them, neither one saying a word, they just let me be. I have decided that these two really are great friends.

 

EMMETT

In the morning, I crawled out of bed to answer the door, thinking it would be Brian again. Nope. It’s Michael. I didn’t open the door all the way, just enough to talk.

“What do you need Michael?” I asked.

“Hey, I just wanted to talk to Ted, but since you’re here I can catch you both at once.” Michael replied.

“It’s not a good time. Ted has company, and really, I was already told your news. If that makes you proud, then you’re an ass.” I said, as I turned and shut the door in Michael’s face.

“Wow Em, you didn’t have to do that.” Justin states.

"Yes I did Baby." I say, hugging him.

We can hear Michael talking in the hallway. Justin and I walk closer to the door to see if we can figure out what’s going on.

“Brian, what are you doing here?” We hear Michael ask.

“I came to talk to Justin. He’s upset about last night.” Brian replies.  

Justin looks at me and mouths ‘upset?’.  

“He will just have to get over it Brian. I mean, if we are going to make a go of this, Justin can’t be around.” Michael replies.

“What the hell are you talking about Mikey? There is no 'we'” Brian stated.

Justin and I are still standing there when we feel coffee cups being put into our hands. We both smiled at Ted. I think that Justin has just detached himself from the situation, because he really isn’t reacting. Ted walks over and opens the door, telling Michael and Brian both that his neighbors don’t need a show and they should just leave. Then slams and locks his door.

 

JUSTIN

So, I am still trying to wrap my head around 'dumb and dumber' standing outside the door. I mean, Michael I get; he finally got his lifelong dream, why not tell everyone. Brian, I don’t get; I mean he doesn't explain anything to anyone, but seems to want to explain this. I can forgive a lot, and most of the time I do. I don’t mind the tricking, cause let’s face it, I am 20. I love Brian, but I also love the freedom to do as I please.  

When I ran off with Ethan I just wanted to not have to deal with someone who couldn’t, for two seconds, think about my feelings. When Ethan cheated I was angry, but that took about a day to get over. After that I just didn’t care. So when Brian and I got back together, I decided to live my life and let Brian live his. I thought that I wanted commitment. But the truth is that I just wanted to know that I mean something to him. I don’t really trick much, but the option is there.

Michael is screeching at the door for Ted to open it. Ted is in the kitchen making Em and I chocolate croissants. Did I mention I love Ted?  

Emmett takes out his phone and calls Michael to tell him to go home.  

Brian bangs on the door and yells for me.

I just look at Ted and Emmett and bite into my croissant.  

After a couple minutes Ted answers the door again, letting Brian through.

“Justin can we at least try and talk about this like mature adults?” Brian asks me, like I am being unreasonable. Part of me is trying to figure out why he thinks that adults do the things he does.

“What do you want me to say?” I ask.

“I want you to at least listen.” Brian answers me. I can’t really figure out what to say, so I just nod.  

“Michael needed a friend. We were at the loft and I fell asleep drunk. I woke up to him sucking me off. At first I didn’t react, then when I realized what was going on I got up and went to the bathroom and showered, trying to figure out what to do. When I came back out Michael was standing there trying to convince me that he just needed a distraction and wasn’t thinking. I made him leave.” Brian explained.

“Well that is not what we heard.” Ted replies.

“Brian, don’t lie to me, if you want ‘MIKEY’ you are now free. There are no locks on our doors, isn’t that what you've always told me?” I ask Brian.

Here’s the thing, I could see Michael trying this shit, I just don’t want to deal with any of it.

“Where were you when Mikey answered the phone?” I ask.

“What are you talking about Justin?" Brian answers.

“When I called the loft, Michael answered the phone and said to someone to keep the bed warm.” I reply.

“You must have called while I was in the shower.” Brian explains. “When I came out I told him that he needed to go home and sent him out of the loft.”

“Well he called here.” Ted told Brian “And the message he left was that he scored with you.”

At this point this conversation is just becoming boring, so I get up off the couch and walk to the bathroom. Brian follows me and shuts the door. I just ignore him and get into the shower. He sits on the toilet and stares.

“Are you going to talk to me Justin? Because I think we have a problem.”  Brian asks.  

I continue to shower then get out grab a towel and walk out of the bathroom. Ted is standing there with some sweats in his hand for me. I know this is childish but you know what, it feels good. I walk over to Ted, take the sweats from him and kiss him on the cheek. Then I do the one thing that I know will really piss off Brian. I take off the towel. Ted stands there a bit dumbfounded for a minute, then turns and rushes out of the room.

“Well now that you made Ted’s year can we leave?” Brian sounds a bit pissed. Hmmm, that was kind of fun.

“Sure let me thank the two people who were there for me when I needed a friend.”  I can tell that hit it’s mark, just like I intended.  

I walk out to see Ted laying with a pillow over his head and Em sitting there laughing hysterically.  

“You go girl. Baby, maybe next time just a little less. I don’t think Ted could survive much more.” Em says, while trying to contain his laughter but failing.

“I just wanted to show Ted my gratitude for helping a friend in need.” I say, and then laugh when Ted looks at me.  

“We are going to go. Thank you for being there for me.” I tell my friends.

 

BRIAN

The ride to the loft is silent and I know that I need to make this up to Justin. And not just because of the Michael thing. I didn’t go pick him up last night and I didn’t call him. I let Michael’s problems be more important to me than Justin. When we got to the loft I let him go in first.

“What are you doing here and why are you going through my stuff?” I hear Justin saying to someone. I follow him to the bedroom, where Michael is doing what looks like packing Justin’s clothes.

“Look I am trying to make this easy on you, Justin. Brian and I need to work some stuff out and you being here would just make him feel bad.” Michael explains.

“What the fuck are you talking about Michael? The only person who doesn’t need to be here is you.” I tell him. I turn to Justin and ask him to go to the kitchen. Justin rolls his eyes at me, but walks away.  

“Michael, you need to leave so that Justin and I can talk” I tell him.

“Brian, I know that you weren’t ready for this yet, but we need to work on things so that we can be together, and we need to be alone to do that. I know if you give me the chance I can make you happy.” Michael tells me.

“There is nothing to talk through Michael. I am with Justin and that is where I want to be and where I will be.” I tell Michael.

“Please Brian, do you really think anybody really believes that? I mean look at your history. You never tell him you love him, but you tell me all the time. You don’t take him out or do anything other than take him to dinner at Ma’s house. And you fuck everybody, which tells me that obviously he doesn’t mean that much to you. You only stay with him so you have a backup. Look at when he got bashed, you just stayed in the backroom tricking and didn’t even bother to see him. Like I said to you two years ago, he isn’t worth it. I can be everything that you need.” Michael tells me.

At first I couldn’t answer, because I was stuck at 'he isn’t worth it', then I replayed the conversation.

“Michael, the reason I tell you I love you is because it doesn’t mean that much to me. The reason I don’t tell Justin that I love him isn’t because I don’t, it’s because the words aren’t enough to explain what I really feel for him. I haven’t even tricked for the last five months and didn’t tell Justin because I wanted to wait till I got my last test done. Justin and I do things together all the time, we just don't see the need to tell everyone. One last thing, then you need to leave. I was there every night at the hospital." Then I grab Michael by the arm and push him out the door.  

I turn to look at Justin who has popcorn and a Coke in his hand. "I FUCKING LOVE YOU JUSTIN TAYLOR." I yell, loud enough that Michael hears it in the hallway.

 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

First time be kind