- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Sorry I took so long my favorite writers posted and I spent last night and all day reading.

JUSTIN

I got to the loft around 5, I wanted to have time to get ready for Brian. When I got there I saw Michael sitting outside on the sidewalk.

“Justin, I don’t know why but my key and code aren’t working. I need to get in. I have a surprise for Brian. I mean you and Brian.” Michael is standing there smiling.

I really think we need to explain what giving space means.

“Michael, we have to be somewhere in an hour so can you come over some other time.” I am starting to think crazy Michael is still in action.

“It will only take a couple of minutes. I promise then I’ll be out of your hair.” I can see the smile on his face starting to slip.

“Look, I really have to get ready and I’m sure you and Ben could use some time together. I’m going to just say this and I hope you understand. Brian and I really don’t want to deal with you right now.” I don’t want to be mean about this but he’s been all over the place today, and Ted felt we should try to be as honest with him as possible.

“You act like I am in the way. All I wanted was to make sure that Brian understands that I didn’t mean to cause all the problems. I can’t help how I feel, and if you and everyone had just given Brian and me a chance to talk, none of this would have happened. I mean, you provoke my mom and then everyone is mad at her. I know you like to be the center of attention, but if you had just let Brian and me talk when I asked, none of this would have happened.” Michael is getting louder.

I knew this wasn’t over, but you live in hope.

“Michael, you need to go home and stop this. It's getting you absolutely nowhere. I suggest you go home and take care of your family before you lose them.” I turn to the front door. Michael grabs me and yanks me back around to face him.

“You need to back the fuck off Justin. I was here every time Brian needed me and you ran away. Why don’t you do that now? MY FAMILY was better off before you, and will be better off when you leave. I am sick and tired of everyone acting like you’re so wonderful. We all have gone out of our way to help you and you throw it back in our faces. My mother is being treated like a leper. I can’t even spend time with MY friends. Not yours, mine, without having you butt in. Now I'm going to go tell Brian how you treated me here and you better be prepared to apologize when I get back.”

Michael turns, grabs some bag I didn’t see, and storms off. Hurricane Michael is on the loose again. I call Brian to warn him.

“Brian, Michael was at the loft and we had an argument about him coming in. He left and is on his way to you.” I don’t interfere with Michael and Brian for a reason, he doesn’t interfere in my friendship with Daphne.

“What happened? And no watered down version this time.” He tells me. I explained it all.

“Justin, I know this goes against everything you and I believe, but for now, if you see him, stay away.” He sounds really worried about this.

“I’ll try, but if today is any indication, that might be harder than you think.” I tell Brian honestly.

When is this going to end? Why do I always get stuck accommodating Michael?

“Justin, I’m not asking you to do anything but ignore him. Unless he doesn’t let you. I want you to know that I will back you no matter what happens.” I officially love Brian more than before.

“Are you going to be home on time?” I just want to change the subject.

“I’m on my way now. Michael will have to talk to the front door of Kinnetik.” We hang up and I start up the stairs to the loft.

On the way up, one of Brian’s downstairs neighbors stops me. What is her name? Kristy? Kathy? No, Kelly. Yeah that’s it, Kelly.

“Hey Justin, is that guy gone yet?” She asks me.

“Yes, I talked to him, he just left. Is everything okay?” I ask her.

“He was trying to come in with me. I’ve seen him before, but normally he has a key for the door. I figured that you guys must have not wanted him here if he couldn’t get in.” She tells me.

“If they can’t get in on their own, no they don’t need to be let in. Thank you for not letting him in.” I tell her.

“I almost did, but when I asked him why he couldn’t get in he said Brian hadn’t given him the new code and key. He asked for my code. When I told him no, he started to yell. Then he calmed and said he could wait for Brian.” She didn’t seem scared. For that I'm thankful. We waved good-bye and I went to the loft.

 

BRIAN

I told Ted what Justin told me, we both agree that he will watch for Michael. Normally I would be the one to handle things, but I think that by waiting for him, I would only encourage him. Where the hell is Ben? He married Michael, I didn’t. I walk to my car, and drive to the loft. I think Justin and I need a night out, just the two of us. I don’t think the diner is a good idea, too many friends. Justin wanted to try the new pasta bar that opened up near PIFA campus, so that's where we're going. Justin doesn’t expect a lot, he just wants to do something different every once in a while. My refusal to do that was what hurt us the first time. I thought he wanted us to be tied to each other and do romantic bullshit. What he really wanted was once or twice a month to do something, just us. If we had just talked, I wonder if the Ethan episode would have happened.

I walk into the loft and Justin is wearing my favorite outfit, well worn jeans and a baby blue sweater.

“Where are we going? I’ve been good, only asked once.” Justin was actually being really good about this, normally I get fifty texts and phone calls trying to find out.

“The pasta bar, the one near PIFA.” I love that smile.

 

TED

I left right behind Brian, I decided that Michael wasn’t going to be my problem tonight. I did want to find out where Ben has been though, so I called his cell.

“Ben, Ted. How are you?” I’m fishing to see what he is going to say.

“As well as can be expected. Michael moved out last night after he got home. He said that we need some space.” Ben tells me.

Wait. When we dropped him off, he told us that he was going to try to make things right with Ben. What is he doing?

“Ben, do you need Emmett and me to come over?” I offer, because I like Ben.

“No, I need to help Hunter with this and I think too many people will just make it harder.” Ben tells me.

“We’re here for you. Just call if you need us.” I hang up and call Emmett. I want to give Brian and Justin a night off.

“Emmett, you busy?” I always make sure he has a way of letting me know who’s around.

“Hey Baby, I was just about to head out, want to meet me somewhere?” Either Deb or Michael are there.

“Sure. Michael or Debbie in front of you?” I really don’t want to deal with them tonight.

“Both” He tells me.

I hear him tell them that he has a date and will see them later. Michael asks if he can come. Emmett tells him that when he dates, it’s only two people.

“Hey, just pick me up down the block.” Emmett hangs up.

When I get to him he hops in and tells me to go. I look over and there is Michael running down the street. We can’t go to my place, or really anywhere he knows.

“Teddy, why don’t we pick up some take out and hang out at Daphne’s. She said that she was going to be home all night.” He offers as a safe house. I nod. He calls her and she gives him her food order.

I think he just wants to find out the gossip and spread it. I want to tell him, but Daphne might not be the best person, because she wants to guarantee that Michael never reproduces again. Actually, part of me agrees with her.

I had a huge thing for Michael once, he could do no wrong.

Brian was an asshole because he jerked Michael around and clung to him. It encouraged Michael to keep his distance in relationships, waiting for his one chance at Brian.

After the Dr. Dave, I let go and started to live my life. That’s why I can’t condone what Michael is doing. I understood that he didn’t love me the way I wanted him to. Michael on the other hand, while he seemed to accept Justin, was still trying to run Brian’s life.

 

EMMETT

When Teddy called, Michael was telling his mother that he needed to give Ben time. After the things that went on they both agreed to give each other space. After talking to Ted in the car, I found out that apparently Michael just walked in and moved out. I need to find out what is going on and I promised Daphne that I would keep her informed, so we are on our way to her.

The three of us are sitting in the living room eating Chinese as Ted tells us about Michael at Kinnetik and at the loft with Justin. I think it is safe to say that last night we were in the eye of the hurricane and now we are about to see the back side come over us.

“Why would he bring all the presents and food though? I mean Michael doesn’t normally do that, right?” Daphne asks us.

“No. It seemed like a peace offering and he didn’t even stick around. He handed the stuff to us and left. Until he was alone with Justin, then he started back up.” Ted tells us.

We just sit there, trying to figure out what he’s doing, but we are at a loss.

 

BRIAN

After dinner, Justin and I decide that we want to go dancing. I do not hide from anyone. I am not asking Justin to either. I explain that to him so he doesn’t get the idea that I want him to let Michael get away with anything. I just want to avoid conflict till Michael gets it under control.

I walk to the bar and ask if Ted has been in. They tell me that Lo is in, Ted’s new assistant manager. I forgot that she was starting tonight. Justin saw a guy he dances with and took off into the crowd. I look for the new assistant manager to see if she needs anything. We hired her from another club, she was organized and turned the club around in under a month. I wanted her because she wasn’t going to club while at work like the last guy we hired. I get up to the office and see her watching the cameras.

“Anything happening tonight?” I ask her.

“Everything normal so far. That your boy?” She asks, as she points at Justin dancing.

“That’s Justin.” I try to not refer to him as a boy too much. It pisses him off.

“Ted told me to look for him so I knew who he was.“ She shrugs. “Look everyone is a boy, even you.”

I give her instructions and ask if she needs any help. She looks up from the screen and shakes her head. Before I get out the door, she calls me back.

“You ever seen him before?” Shit, it’s Michael.

 

JUSTIN

I was dancing with Milo, while Brian went upstairs. Milo is my opposite in the looks, he has dark hair, big brown eyes and is actually shorter. We have been friends for a while since we both go to PIFA. His boyfriend had to work so he was glad when we came in.  

I had turned to look up to see if Brian was coming yet when I got hip checked. I look up and there’s Michael. He starts to do some kind of dance around Milo, who looks perplexed by the whole thing. Michael’s dancing is like Brian’s, they sway or follow the lead of whoever they’re with. Since Milo is standing still, Michael is just bopping to his own tune. Another guy walks up to me and starts trying to dance with me, and here comes Michael again. Milo and I just walk away. Brian is at the bar watching and hands me some water.  

We see Michael look around. When he sees Brian he comes over to us.

“Sorry to steal your tricks Justin.” What the hell?

“It’s fine Michael.” I humor the mad man.

I have always heard not to try to rationalize with crazy people, just agree. While the doctor gets the orderlies with the straight jacket.

Brian hands me the car keys and tells me to get in the car. I guess the hands off policy is over. I start making my way out when this 5 foot 2 maybe, woman walks up to me.

“Hi Justin. I’m Lo, the new night manager. Brian wanted me to make sure that we met.” She’s adorable.

“Nice to met you and I will probably see you around.” I tell her.

I was about to go when I see Michael coming towards me. He looks angry. He pushes past Lo and is about to say something as he’s reaching for me. She grabs his arm and twists it behind his back. Michael is telling her to stop or he’ll get her fired. She tells him go ahead. She pushes him into Alex, one of the bouncers and tells him to get him out.

Okay, I will not make this woman mad. She walks by, pats me on the shoulder and walks away as if none of it happened.