- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

I just wanted Ted to have some love too. 

BRIAN

When Deb walks in, Emmett is behind her helping her carry some bags. Behind them is Justin, doing his happy dance. Guess he is getting fed again. I lead them into the conference room. Why do they always have to bring so much food? When Deb is upset she cooks. When Deb is happy she cooks. Get the picture here? Justin runs in and hugs Deb, says hi to Emmett and grabs the food.

“Hey Sunshine, I brought you some chocolate mousse for dessert.” Justin stops piling food on his plate to look for it.

“Deb, this is great but we do need to talk.” I need to get the Novotny’s under control or Justin is going to go into food coma.

“Brian, let me talk first. You know I love you and Justin, and the way I reacted was wrong. I can’t see my child hurt and not want to find a reason. I promised Carl that before I react I am going to try to find out what is going on. It isn’t going to perfect and I will screw up, but I promise to try.” She finishes and looks at me trying to gage my reaction.

“Deb, sorry is bullshit and you know that. It’s your actions that will tell me you’re sincere. I won’t believe you until you show me. I will not get involved in helping Michael. He will see anything helpful on my part as showing him love.” I want her to get this.

“I understand, but he needs his friends… Sorry, I understand.” At least she is trying.

Justin sat at the conference table, looking around still. Then I see his eyes narrow at Emmett.

“Where’s the mousse?” Justin asks.

“I put it in the cooler in the break room to keep it cold.” Justin runs out of the room. We hear him screaming 'NO'.

Emmett walks out to see and comes back. “The others got to it first.”

Justin walks over to Deb and hugs her sniffling, his head on her shoulder. She promises to make more for him. The twat and I are going to have a conversation on how he uses his twink superpowers. Deb is just about to leave when we see Michael walk up to reception and hand them a basket, then he turns around and leaves.

“What is he doing?” Deb asks.

“This is what he has been doing for two days. He brings stuff in and leaves.” I see Justin brighten.  How does he stay so slim?

 

DEBBIE

I know I brought a lot of food, but I left a lot at home. I want to make sure that I make things right. Michael is in trouble and he needs all of us.

When Michael walked in my first instinct was to go to him, but he is gone before anybody says anything. Cynthia brings in the basket and Justin opens it. He smiles as he sees brownies and cookies. I pull out the sandwiches and chips. Why is Michael feeding Brian?

I leave Brian so he can get back to work and go to see Carl. I tell Carl about the what Michael has been doing each day. Carl tells me that that is harmless and not to worry about the small stuff. I was going to take some food to Michael but if he is busy feeding Brian, he can come to me. I brought some food into the station for Carl and his guys too.

After lunch I go over to the college, I need to talk to Ben. I walk in his office and there is someone sitting in the chairs in front of him. I figure I could wait for them to finish first.

 

BEN

I went to my office after class. I cancelled my last class and assigned a research project for discussion next week. I was hurt and confused, but now I am just pissed. Michael is acting like he did before when Brian and Justin broke up. He ran everywhere with Brian and it got to the point where I was ready to go on without him. We stayed together, and our relationship improved. Michael has issues with change and we all coddle him until he gets through it. I don’t think I’m willing to do that this time.

Nick was at my office door with lunch. He feels bad that Michael is acting like this, but he isn’t to blame.

“Any changes Ben?” We have been talking a lot. I needed someone outside the family.

“He packed and left. No calls, he said he needed space. He didn’t even try to talk to me.” I tell him.

“Do you really want to deal with all that? It sounds like he would rather be with the other guy.” I had told him about the history of Brian and Mikey.

“When I met him he was really sweet, we had problems, but I really believe that the HIV was the issue. I would have been more worried if he had accepted it without thought. What changed in the last couple of days? Your guess is as good as mine.” I tell Nick.

“I will say that if you were single, I wouldn’t mind.” He smiles at me.

“Well he isn’t, and you aren’t going to help the situation if you think flirting with him, where anybody can hear, is fine.” Deb comes in and I introduce them.

Nick gets up and starts to walk to the door. He turns to Deb.

“I don’t know you or your son but I have known Ben for years. Your son doesn’t deserve him if this is how he treats him. Later Ben.” Deb and I watch him walk out.

“Ben, I need you to help with Michael. I know what he is doing is wrong, but you still love him.” I know she is trying to help, but I think this is part of the problem, every time Michael gets in trouble we all let it slide.

“He asked for time, and I have more important things to woprry about than Michael. He hurt Hunter and hasn’t even gone to see JR since this started. I suggest you worry about them and let Michael sink or swim. I am done coddling him.” I steer Deb out and shut the door.

 

JUSTIN

I think I have died and gone to food heaven. Brian needs to at least see the benefits in everyone being sorry, I sure do. Although if I find out that Murph took the mousse, I might not be so forgiving. I left Kinnetik and headed to school, I have class tonight.

Class was really boring and I think I zoned out. I like Art History, but I have other things going on. Class was over and I was packing up when this guy comes in and is talking to the teacher. They point at me. He walks over and introduces himself.

“Hi Justin, I’m Nick Alexander. I wanted to talk to you about an opening in my department. Do you have time?” He asks.

“Sure, just let me call my boyfriend, he is coming pick me up.” I tell him as I call Brian.

“Brian, I have a meeting with a teacher. Something about a job. Give me about an hour and meet me by the student union.” I hang up and ask where he wants to go.

We go to his office and he explains about the teacher’s aide position. That I will not only get credit for doing it, but it will pay some of the tuition cost. It sounds great, but I still need to keep the diner job. I tell him I’ll let him know after I talk to Brian. We were leaving and he offered to walk with me across campus.

When we got to the student union, I see Brian and decide to introduce them.

“That’s Brian, let me introduce you two.” We go towards him.

“What the hell are you doing with him?” Brian says with a glare.

“This is the professor that offered me a teacher’s aide job. Nick, this is Brian.” This is confusing.

“He’s also the guy Ben left with.” Brian tells me.

“Wait a minute. I don’t know what Michael told you but Ben and I are old college friends, and that is all.” Nick looks like he is ready to fight with Brian.

This has to stop, I grab Brian and tell him to remember that no matter what went on, it is no one but Michael who has made this worse. Brian calms down and we leave for Woody’s to meet Ted.

 

TED

Brian left to go get Justin, so I sit with Emmett and we play tops and bottoms. Fifteen minutes later we see them come in and get drinks. We all sit around while Justin tells us about Nick. Small world, but then everyone knows everyone. Brian goes to play pool while we talk about nothing in general.

We were sitting here trying to decide if we wanted to go to Babylon when Ben comes in with a guy that makes Ben look plain. I point to him and Justin tells me that is the guy. Emmett being the ‘hostess with the mostest’ walks over and invites them over.

“Hey Ben” I say, but the whole time I am staring at the guy with him.

“Ted, Justin, Emmett. This is Nick.” We all shake hands.

I notice that Nick looks over to Brian and then back at Justin.

“He’s fine. Just don’t expect warm fuzzies from him. Ben, you doing okay?” Justin asks.

“I want to have one night without the crap. If we can’t I will understand, but I just need to not deal.” Ben is really stressed.

We all agree to leave it alone. Justin and Nick talk about what he’ll be doing as a teacher’s aide. Emmett looks a little disappointed. That lasted for about two minutes, before he sees a beefy guy and runs off.

Brian and Ben start to play pool together. Justin wanders over to mess with Brian’s game. You know I am over the whole naked thing, but every once in awhile... Nick then turns to me.

“What do you do Ted?” He really is gorgeous.

“CFO of Kinnetik. I work for Brian.” I tell him.

“Like your job and boss?” What is he asking me.

“Yes. It’s been interesting to get into a company from the start and see it rise. Before Kinnetik, I was an accountant and web site owner. When I hit rock bottom, Brian helped me get on my feet.” I tell him.

“Seeing anyone?” Is that like a come on, God I hope so.

“No. You?” Please be a come on.

He doesn’t answer at first, then he grabs a pen writes something down and hands it to me. Then he leans over and whispers, “I’m free this weekend.” Kisses my cheek and walks over to Ben, tells him bye and starts out the door. Justin is walking by, Nick stops him and they walk out the door.

 

JUSTIN

I was going to the bar to get some water when Nick stops me and asks if I can walk him out. We get outside and he hands me a blank schedule from his pocket and tells me to fill in when I could be available to work and get it back to him.

Brian and I talked about it in the car, when I told him about the credits and tuition reduction, he said that it was a no brainer. I actually could cut down on my hours at the diner, because Brian pays for everything and I was using the money to pay as much as I could for college. With the credit hours it also means that I could finish faster and that the rest of my internship hours would be done. I tell Nick I’ll have it for him tomorrow.

He asks me about Ted. I stood there a little dumbfounded. I’m used to people asking about Brian, Ben, Emmett, and I’ve even had people ask about Michael, but never Ted. I smile, because although Ted is plain and sometimes boring, he is still a great guy. I tell him that if he likes opera and ‘couple’ kind of dates that Ted is awesome. He smiles and says to tell Ted to call him.

I bounce my way to Ted, and pat him on the back.

“You better call him. I told him you were awesome.” Ted looks at me, and they say I can smile.

Brian comes over and sits, grabs me and pulls me onto his lap. I tell him about Nick and Ted. He tells Ted to go for it. Then asks if he needs any pointers. Ted laughs and says that dating wasn’t something Brian could help with. Brian sticks his tongue out and then says maybe not, but obviously he can do something right if I am still around.

We sit there for a second then Ted bursts out laughing, saying something about working out at the gym and eighteen year olds. Not sure what that was about.

 

MICHAEL

I was following Justin around. I wanted to ask him for some help. I figured he thinks we are good. I mean all the things I have been doing, the flowers and food. I wanted to get him to work on Rage so I could make the new stories. I waited out in the hallway to try to catch him when I see the guy. I backed around a corner to wait. Justin and that guy walk down the hall to an office and go in, shutting the door. I couldn’t hear anything but what could they be doing in there for an hour? At least I know the guy’s name. I wait back down the hall again to see them pass me. They walk to the student union area and I see Brian. I want to run to him and tell him about it. After a couple of minutes, they all part and leave. I missed my chance.

I head to Liberty to see if Emmett or Ted is around. I wanted to get my act together for the contest, but well, I got bored with it. I figure I could get Emmett to dance with me so I could try some moves. When I get closer to Woody’s I see Ben and Nick walk in and decide to wait across the street. My ma wants me to talk to Ben and I decided that if my plan is successful than I will be with Brian. Why bother muddying the waters. I love Ben, and he has been a great husband to me. I sometimes start to doubt myself because he deserves someone who can love him the way I feel about Brian. When I saw him with Nick, all I could think is, why can’t I be enough for someone?

Looking back at the bar, I see Justin come out with Nick. Nick hands him something they talk and then Justin is smiling and seems excited. They part with Justin practically bouncing in. What do these guys see in Justin? My first instinct is to go tell Brian that Justin is on the prowl again. But then I smile. Looks like Justin is going to play the field again.

I decide that I need to practice my dancing.

 

TED

We are walking out of Woody’s and I had quizzed Ben all about Nick. He was laughing at me. I know I sound like a virgin on prom night, as Emmett would say, but since Blake I have been in a dry spell. I want to call him, but Brian tells me to wait till tomorrow, you know, he might realize that he was talking to me. I flick Brian off. I offer Ben a ride, we lost Emmett to 'beefy guy'. Ben accepts and I am all over him about Nick.

Ben tells me to call Nick, then he gets out and goes into his house. I decide I am going to go for it. I call him and he gives me directions to his house. I get there, he offers me a drink and we sit in his living room. I like his house but I’m nervous so I start looking at his cd’s. I start rambling when I feel him come up behind me. Let’s just say, if I need any advice on men, Brian can go fuck himself.   

Chapter End Notes:

Any suggestions on King of Babylon, let me know still haven't gotten it where I want it.