- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

I am working on chapter 15 and 16 might be a while thanks for hanging in there.

DAPHNE

I was finishing with my homework when Emmett called. He wanted to see if we could find Michael. Part of me wants to ask if he is crazy to call me. If it was up to me, I would just kick Michael’s ass. Since I apparently have no life and I don’t have any classes tomorrow I figured Em and I could play mission stupid together. I pick up Emmett at Deb’s. We started at the diner, then Woody’s, and then on to the gay mecca, Babylon. I see Justin talking to Milo, and figured I’d go say hi.

“Justin, everything okay?” With this bunch you never know what is going on.

Justin fills me in on the 'wifey visits’ as Brian is calling them, and then tells me about the comic thing. I miss so much some days. I feel someone wrap their hands around me and kiss my ear. I really wish Brian had a straight brother.

“How’s it going my goddess?” I can’t help it, I giggled.

“Good. Emmett is with me. We have to go look for Captain Astro Stupidity. Seen your wife lately?” I ask as I turn to look at Brian.

“Well, Justin is behind you, so yes. But if you’re talking about Deb’s spawn no.” I stare at Brian.

We all know Brian loves Justin. He doesn’t run around proclaiming it, but it’s there to see. When he called Justin the wife, it’s his way of telling us. The best way to react is to do nothing.

“Brian, while I love you and respect your position on this, Emmett decided that we need to help Deb out. I would let her stew in her son’s crap, but I worry more about you and Justin.” See, that worked. Brian nods and starts looking at the dance floor.

I was looking around to see where Emmett was when my eyes gazed at the stage and the banner announcing the King of Babylon contest Saturday. Is Michael really that stupid? I didn’t see the contest Justin was in, but between Emmett and Ted I heard it was really good. I have also seen Michael dance, it reminds me of the Snoopy dance. I need to find Emmett.

 

EMMETT

When Daphne and I walked into Babylon, we separate to search for Michael. I ran into the hunk who lit my flame last night and we are making plans to start another bonfire. I see Daphne talking to Brian and have to remind myself about operation Michael. I tell Jeff I’ll call, and head to Daphne.

When we reach each other Daphne shares her opinion about the King of Babylon contest. I just can’t see it. Michael dances with us and Ben, but he just doesn’t have the talent to be on that stage. We both find Justin and tell him. Justin stares at us and then starts to roar with laughter.

 

“Justin, calm down. I mean I know Michael has been all kinds of crazy, but even you could see this is a bad idea. Remember how much of a prude he was when David danced?” Brian walks up at this point and wants to know what Justin is on. I tell him about Daphne’s idea. Brian shrugs and tells me that it’s Michael’s funeral. I guess no help coming from them. I drag Daphne out with me and we head to the comic store.

We at least found Michael. He is... maybe that could be called dancing, but we’re not quite sure. We both stare through the window. Michael has the music loud and I don’t know what to call the moves. Is that ‘The Time of Our Lives’? Oh God, that can’t be what he thinks he should use.

“You know Emmett, part of me wants to record this, but the other part wants to see it on the stage at Babylon. I don’t get what he thinks this will accomplish. Why would he want to enter this contest? If I remember, all that happened after that is that Justin tricked with some guy.”

I have to wonder too. I try to remember what went on after Justin won. I remember the next morning after Justin came into the diner, everyone egging him on to tell about what happened. Then after Justin finished, Brian and Justin stared at each other. I remember thinking that they seemed to come to an understanding at that point. Still, what does that have to do with Michael?

We look in and the music has changed and we see Michael dance by. He grabs one of the wall racks and starts to do a backbend. I don’t think the racks are made to hold up a grown man, and they prove it when they give and Michael and the racks fall backwards. Ouch that had to hurt.

 

BRIAN

I came in to check things with Lo. Ted was busy. Justin is hanging out with Milo and still laughing like a loon at the theory that Daphne came up with. I have just gotten to the point where I try to think of Paris and leave the crap behind. Lo has it under control and tells me other than the minor cat fights everything has been going good.

I was heading to go get Justin, when my phone rings. It’s Emmett, telling me to come to the comic shop. There is part of me that wants to say no, but no matter how hard I try I can’t turn my back on him. I grab Justin and we drive to the store. Daphne is waiting for us.

“The idiot fell and the wall rack fell on top of him. I think he’s okay, but he hasn’t moved since it happened. Do either of you have any way to get in?” She asks us.

I don’t have a key. Justin shakes his head no.

I love that I get nominated to call Deb.

“Deb, do you know anyone who has a key to the comic shop?” I don’t want to tell her why.

“Ben or Hunter I think. Why do you need a key?” We do not need Deb here.

“Michael called Emmett. Michael was running out of the shop and forgot to grab his keys.” I hope that works.

“Why not just tell Emmett who has keys?” Deb has never been stupid.

“Deb, you know what he’s been like. I think he just didn’t know whether to contact Ben or not.” Michael is starting to stir.

“Call Ben. Let me know if you need me.” Deb says, before hanging up. I call Ben ask him to bring Emmett the keys. He tells me he will and doesn’t ask any questions.

I was going to knock on the window, but Daphne tells me to let her and Emmett handle it. I tell them to call if they need us and we go home.

 

EMMETT

After Justin and Brian leave, I start knocking on the window. Michael gets himself untangled and lets us into the shop. Daphne walks to the chair and sits down. Michael locks us in and asks what we are doing here.

“Michael, I haven’t seen much of you, and since Daphne and I were running around we thought we'd check on you.” Daphne starts flipping through a comic.

“I was just doing inventory, and felt like redecorating.” He then starts trying to rub his lower back.

“We saw you fall. Are you okay.” I ask Michael.

“I guess I should have used a screwdriver to get the rack off the wall.” This conversation is bordering on ridiculous.

Daphne puts the comic down and walks toward Michael. I want to say that, as a friend, I interceded, but at this point Daphne really needs the outlet.

 

DAPHNE

Why couldn’t Justin find grownups. I mean I love the guys and all. Brian is like a big kid most of the time but he knows when to be an adult. I also know from what Justin told me and what I have seen, Michael has never had to face the consequences for anything he does.

“Michael, I am going to speak slowly and use small words. I do not want you to talk. Do you understand?” He starts to open his mouth but I put up my finger and shake my head.

“Brian is never going to be anything but your friend, and right now you’re skating on thin ice there. Your mother is losing all her friends and family because of you. If this doesn’t stop now I will kick your scrawny ass and believe me when I say that. Because up till now I have held back for Emmett’s sake. Justin is smarter, better looking, and twice the man you are, there is no way for you to compete with him. What you need to do is knock this shit off before I hit you with my car. I don’t get what you think you’re going to accomplish, other than acting like fatal attraction. That is all we can see.” I was trying to reach him, to give him a smack on the head, but Emmett stopped me.

“Can I speak now, DAPHNE?” He sneers at me.

Part of me wants to shove Emmett out of the way, the other part wants to hear him. I nod because I don’t trust myself to say anything.

“Brian is my best friend, he loves ME. You think you know anything about us just because your little friend fucks him. Brian is not going to commit to Justin, nor does Justin know him the way I do. I was there for him every time he needed a friend. I took care of him when your best friend fucked him over with the fiddler. I will be there when your friend leaves him again. You know why? Because I love him in a way that Justin will never be able to, and Brian knows that too!” By now he is screaming at us.

I now know that nothing is going to be accomplished by talking to Michael. I am done with him. I turn in time to see Ben standing there with the keys in his hand. He doesn’t say a word. He looks at the keys, starts taking them off his ring and throws them at Michael.

 

EMMETT

This is bad. I was sure that when we got Michael over what I hoped was a midlife crisis, that he and Ben could work it out, but that isn’t going to happen now. Ben throws the keys at Michael and leaves, slamming the door. Daphne walks out behind him, I turn and look at Michael. He doesn’t even seem to care. I walk to the door too.

I chase Ben down the sidewalk, Daphne is trying to offer him a ride. He just keeps walking. I tell Daphne I’ll handle this. She nods and goes to her car and drives off. I run after Ben.

“Emmett, unless you want to get drunk with me, go home.” I’ve had worse offers. So I walk with him to Babylon.

Most of the time Ben dances with one of us and drinks maybe a beer or two, but tonight I think he is trying to put us all under the table. Ben is gorgeous and men would flock around him, but he has always tried to stay with Michael. Around 2am I am dragging Ben off the dance floor and into a cab.

I get him into the house, and into bed. Hunter came out, helped, then went back to bed. I decide that I’ll just stay in case he needs help. I thought he was passed out but then he starts to talk.

“I love him, Emmett, but I can’t be there for him after tonight. I have put up with Brian being a primary focus in his life and thought we were through that. I guess I was wishing for too much from him.” Ben goes quiet after that.

I get up and sit on the couch. I can’t figure it out. I respect Ben and cheered on the relationship when it happened, but even I worried for Michael. HIV is not something to take lightly. Michael is a jackass if he can’t see what he and Ben have. I guess I have to join in the club and let Michael lose everything.

 

BEN

Last night I was hurt, I wanted to strike back. This morning I wish I had laid off the vodka. I have always been able to brush off the bad and keep going. I am now free of Michael, and now am going to live my life. After getting up and dressed, I find Emmett on the couch. I wake him and offer breakfast. We start to work together on breakfast when Hunter comes through and pours some cereal in a huge bowl and starts to eat. Hunter and I had talked and he said that whatever happens he wants to live with me. I told him that he could, and no matter what happens, Michael still loves him too.

“Well girls, I have a class to attend, see ya.” Hunter says as he leaves.

After the pool incident at school, Hunter refused to go back. We tried to convince him it wouldn’t be so bad. Justin and Brian told us both we were living in a dream world if we thought that. Lindsey arranged for Hunter to work with some teachers she knew so that he could be home schooled without having to be home. It’s working well.

Emmett and I have breakfast and part ways. Me for work, him for Deb’s. I feel lighter now that the decision to let go has been reached. I don’t want a relationship right now, but who says I can’t at least start having fun.

 

JUSTIN

Looking into the cold thing in the loft. Most people refer to it as a refrigerator, Brian as a place for beer and poppers. I miss the last few days of food. I grab a water, and decide to grab something to eat on the way. Brian was already gone when I got up.

On my to-do list was to ask for the time off during spring break, turn in a couple projects, and meet with Nick to get a list of what needs to be done. Brian was going to be busy today, he has a presentation. After that he is taking the clients out to dinner. He asked me if I wanted to go, but truthfully it's really boring, so I declined.

I walk into the Diner, grab a lemon bar and walk to the back to talk to the manager. Deb is there looking over the schedules with him.

“Morning, Sunshine.” Deb gives me a hug.

“Hey Deb. Rex. I need to put in for time off.” Deb looks at me.

“Sunshine, I thought everything was okay.” She looked at me, worried.

“It is. Brian is taking me to Paris for spring break.” I can’t help but smile.

“Wow. But do you really think with everything going on it’s a good time for you two to go away?” I thought she understood that Brian is staying out of this.

“Justin, take the time off have fun. I need to talk to Deb.” Rex tells me. I kiss Deb and walk out.

 

DEBBIE

I’m happy that Brian wants to take Sunshine somewhere, but I need them to help me with Michael. I was hoping that between Ben and Brian, Michael would return to the son I know. After Justin walks out, Rex is looking at me.

“Deb, I am going to say this and hope you understand. I really should fire you for hitting another employee and for the fight on the street. The only reason I haven’t is because you are a good employee. You need to get your personal life in order and keep it out of the Diner, is that understood? I love having you here and if it was anyone else, they wouldn’t be working here anymore,” Rex tells me.

He goes out to the restaurant. You know, I don’t have to work but I do it because I love being here. In all the years and all the managers I have been through, I have never been told I could lose my job. I need to start thinking of myself, I will be there for Michael but I can’t keep risking everything for him. I get up to go to work and go over to Justin.

“Sunshine, I want you to have a wonderful time in Paris. Don’t let Brian make you shop the whole time.” I hug him and kiss his cheek.

Justin is looking at the door and I turn to see Michael looking at us. Michael turns around and runs out the door. I almost ran after him, but he needs to understand that I can’t go on coddling him.