- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Happy 4th to all.

MICHAEL

I ran out of the diner when I heard Ma saying that Brian is taking Justin to Paris. I went with David. While it was interesting to go out of the country, it was more something David wanted than something I would choose. I did have a good time though, and would like to go again. I can’t believe Brian would do this to me.

I went to the shop. It’s slow in the morning with all the kids in school but it gives me time to read the new comics and look for vintage stuff. Emmett walks in and sits in the chair in the corner.

“Michael how are you?” He asks me.

“Emmett, did you know that Brian is taking Justin to Paris?” I need to find a way to stop it.

“Yes. Brian told me he had it planned for Justin’s spring break. Michael, he isn’t going to break up with Justin for you. We need to talk about what you are doing. I have tried every way I know and you aren’t listening. Brian loves you, but he is IN LOVE with Justin. Do you understand the difference? If Brian ever had a commitment ceremony, Justin would be the groom and you the best man.” Emmett is talking in earnest, but it’s like Michael doesn’t understand.

“Emmett, I finally figured out why Brian and I never had a relationship. It’s not that he didn’t want me, it was because he couldn’t give me what I wanted, monogamy. Now he is ready for that and more. Justin is young and will find someone else. Brian needs someone like me, I am never going to leave him. I have always been lacking in the relationships I have been in. When I was with David, I felt like a kid around him and his friends. Ben is a wonderful man, but we don’t always have the same wants. Brian is different, he likes that I need him and I like that he makes me feel safe.” I tell Emmett.

 

EMMETT

When did Brian became monogamous? Justin is going to get a spanking. I almost want to run out of here and have a talk with my boy. Alas, first things first.

“Ben didn’t make you feel safe? Michael, until this week you and Ben were doing fine. What really changed? Because all the bullshit you made up about the cheating isn’t going to fly. Don’t even try to convince me otherwise.”

I look at Michael, and can see the hamster working the wheel.

“Look, I saw him hugging and kissing that guy, if it was just a friend why didn’t he call and ask me to meet them. I was going by to see him for lunch and just happened to see them. Maybe I overreacted, but why did Ben and the guy leave Babylon together?” Michael is trying to justify it.

“We have all met Nick and he is a nice guy. He was at Woody’s with Ben, but they weren’t together. We have all talked to him, you had nothing to worry about.” I tell him.

“Well, Brian needs to worry.” Michael tells me.

What is he talking about now? I mean I know Ted has been spending a lot of time with Nick, but Brian doesn’t seem worried about it. Personally, I am happy for Teddy. He hasn’t been with anyone since Blake and he parted again. I know I said I would let Michael handle this, but I have to be able to tell myself I tried.

“If Brian saw what I did yesterday, he would understand that Justin is going to hurt him again. I am going to have to pick up the pieces for Brian.” As he says this, he doesn’t seem unhappy about it.

“Michael, Brian and Justin are probably happier than they have ever been, so whatever you believe, you’re wrong.” I am so tired of this. Why didn’t I just leave this alone?

“I am going to tell you, because you need to see the truth. Yesterday I was… at PIFA looking around the campus and I happened to see Justin and Nick go to Nick’s office they were in there for over an hour. Why would they need to be in there for that long? Later I was walking by Woody’s and there they are, talking, and he handed Justin a piece of paper. After they talked again, Justin was practically bouncing up the stairs. All that told me is that Justin is fucking around again.” Wow, Michael has a great imagination.

I am sitting here thinking, I could correct all this, but you know what, I really think he needs to see it to believe it. I look at my friend and decide I will work on picking up his pieces.

 

BRIAN

The last night when I watched Gus, I didn’t let the girls stay when they picked up Gus.

Lindsay offered to bring dinner tonight after work. That way I could see Gus and she and Justin could talk. Code Word ‘Gossip’.

You would think that after all the food Justin has consumed that he couldn’t possibly still be hungry. Mel and Lindsay got to the loft around 6, with food from them and Deb. I’ve never seen that look in Justin’s eyes. He always looks at me with lust, but never the way he is looking at the pork chops Deb sent.

Lindsay starts setting the table. She then prepares Gus and JR’s food. Justin is trying to sneak the pork chops into the refrigerator. Lindsay grabs them and puts them into the oven. When the food is ready we all sit down and start to eat. I am doing this for Gus, I have to keep saying this in my head. Lindsay looks to Justin.

“Justin, how is school and everything going?” She’s fishing.

“I turned in my finals and I have an internship at school. Everything is working out because I get credit and a break on tuition. I will be able to finish college sooner. Brian is going to let me work at Kinnetik, which works for me. It will give me time to get a body of work together.” He tells her.

I was watching Lindsay and she is absorbing this information, but I see the point where she isn’t thrilled. Lindsay is Justin’s biggest supporter where his art is concerned, but is like a stage mother. She feels that if Justin doesn’t follow what she wanted to do he will never achieve greatness. I have always left the relationship alone because she means well, but I need to let Justin make decisions and so does she.

“Justin, you need to take your career seriously, staying here and not giving your art a chance to grow it is going to stifle you. You need to look at the long term, Brian is going to be here, but if…”

This has to stop, but before I can say a word Justin answers Lindsay.

“Lindsay, I’ll worry about my career when there is one. Plus, Brian is always willing to help. I haven’t told you, because I haven’t seen you, but he is taking me to Paris next week for spring break. Can you image the stuff I am going to come back with?” He is telling her.

I look at Mel. I planned to let them know. I also know that Lindsey is going to have a problem with this trip. She has always want to go to Europe and soak up the art. Mel is looking at Lindsay, like she is waiting for the explosion. What we got instead was what neither of us was expecting.

“I am so happy for you. You need to come over so we can plan the trip. There are so many out of the way things to see. I think between you and I we can see everything. This would be a great trip for Gus too. I mean look at all the culture we could expose him to.” What the hell?

 

MEL

When Justin said they were going to go to Paris, I knew this was going to upset Lindsay. She has always wanted to go as an adult. She went with her mother when she was a child, but it was her mother’s way of getting back at her father. They went there to spend money and piss off Daddy. I want to take her when we can afford it, but we can’t right now.

“Lindsay, I think that they want to go alone.” I hope this will stop her.

“Brian, it’s not like you can’t spend time with Justin alone. I mean for Gus this could be a learning experience. I could watch Gus when you want time alone and then we could take Gus to see stuff. Justin isn’t going to want to go shopping but he and Gus could do other things.” Lindsay tells Brian.

Is she listening to herself? I also notice that nowhere in her dialog are JR and I mentioned. I can’t believe her. She is inviting herself and using Gus to try to get Brian to agree. I look over at Justin, he seems oblivious, happily eating and playing with the kids. I wonder how he deals with everyone pushing into his life.

Brian asks Lindsay to come outside, he needs to smoke. She is following like she has won his agreement to go to Paris.

Looking at Justin, I realize that maybe he could tell me how he handles the crazy around Brian.

“Justin, how do you not kill everyone?” I honestly want to know.

 

JUSTIN

When Mel asked me that question, I could see she was serious. I want the kids clear of this conversation. I take them to the living room and put it on the cartoon channel. I walk back to the kitchen and sit with her.

“Mel, I had to rewrite the Kinney Operating Manual. Did you think I didn’t also write one on Michael and Lindsay?” Mel starts to laugh.

“I hate when they act like nothing matters but what they want. It also hurts when she does things like she just did. Not only did she invite herself along, but turned you into the babysitter. She didn’t even think about JR and me.” Mel tells me, and says that it hurts to have to admit that.

“Mel it wasn’t intentional on her part. I can always tell when she enters into ‘Lindsey’s perfect world’, she forgets anyone is alive. You asked me how I deal with it. The answer is simple, I know my place in Brian’s world. It’s not perfect and when I thought Michael had succeeded with his ‘perfect world’ I was crushed. I have also learned to have faith in my relationship.” I hope this helps Mel.

I have always loved Mel a little more than Lindsay, because she deals in the real world. I know anyone else would have left Lindsay a long time ago. Lindsay is a dreamer. Mel is a realist. We dreamers need them to keep from doing stupid things.

“I try Justin. But sometimes I feel like she settled for me because Brian isn’t available. I know I take it out on Brian, but if I say anything to Lindsay she acts like I’m crazy.” Mel tells me.

“Mel, look at what Michael is doing to his relationships with Ben and Brian. Lindsay hasn’t gone that far. I know that Brian took her outside to explain the facts to her. I don’t think she realized what she was doing.” I tell Mel this while thinking ‘I don’t need another Michael in our lives right now’.

 

BRIAN

As we walk outside, Lindsay is all excited about Paris. I guess it’s time to burst her bubble. I stand here thinking about how to talk to her without being harsh about it.

“Lindsay, this is a trip for only Justin and me. We didn’t invite you or Gus, and I need you to stop trying to manipulate me by using Gus. If I was taking Justin to Disney, hell, then Gus would be invited too. I want to give Justin this for all the times I never did. If you and Mel want to go, then plan a time and I’ll keep the kids. This is just for Justin.” I don’t think I can make it any clearer.

She stares at me, then starts to turn red. This can’t be good.

“Oh my God, I can’t believe I did that. I just got so excited and started to plan it in my head. I shouldn’t have done that. I mean Gus would probably love it, or maybe not. I am sorry Brian.” She seems like she means it.

“It’s fine, and sorry is bullshit. I also want to make one thing clear. Justin doesn’t need you to make decisions for him on his career. Talk to him, give him advice, but don’t tell him what to do. We all make that mistake because he was so young when we all met him.” I want her to understand Justin needs to make those decisions.

We stand there while I smoke in silence. I wasn’t really big on Paris at first, but I needed this to be for Justin. We need to talk about what we want in this relationship without everyone around to tell us they know better.

 

LINDSAY

I was really excited coming outside, I mean Paris in spring. When Brian starts to talk, I started to think of reasons that he needed to take me. Wait, I meant Gus and me. He finished talking and I start to get embarrassed because I also forgot about Mel and JR. He then goes on to tell me that I need to stop trying to live my failed art career thru Justin.

I told Mel this isn’t going to be easy for me, I hope she took me seriously. We stand here against the wall while he smokes, and I see Michael headed towards us. Brian groans and looks down for a minute.

I wondered where he was earlier, I don’t think he was helping Deb with JR. He is all smiles when he sees us. He looked at Brian, but Brian is looking across the street at nothing.

“Hey Lindsay, thanks for letting Ma see JR today.” I notice he didn’t say him.

“Mikey, what’s up?” Brian says, like he could care less.

“I actually came to talk to you about something. If you want to stay Linds it's fine, everyone is going to find out anyway.” Why does Michael always try to drag me in his mess?

“Michael just save it. I don’t want to hear anything from you unless you are going to say that you're wrong.” Brian says as he stubs out the cigarette and starts to walk to the door.

“You need to hear this, Justin is going to cheat again with that guy Nick. I’ve seen them together and Justin is practically walking on air when Nick is around. You need to let him go. Can’t you see I am so much better for you. I would never do that to you.” Michael is yelling at Brian’s back.

I watch Brian walk into the building and follow, the door closes with not a word said. Michael is standing there muttering to himself that Brian will see. I look back at Michael, and I know I need to stop before that is me.

 

JUSTIN

Mel and I hear yelling and go to the window. Michael is standing there yelling at the building. We can’t see who is standing there. I assume it’s Lindsay and Brian. We also can’t hear anything. You know, if drama is going to happen I need to know so I can have a front row seat. Michael stands there with his arms waving in the air still yelling. I see him stomp off and we both are trying to figure out what he’s up to this time.

“I always tell Emmett that he needs to stop spreading the gossip, but you know, right now I would love to know.” Mel tells me.

We are both laughing, when Brian walks in with Lindsay. Lindsay looks at Mel walks over to her and is all over her. Yuck, girly parts. Brian rolls his eyes grabs the Beam and takes a large swallow. The girls stop and I think Mel is going to get lucky tonight. Where is the brain bleach?

“I know I always tell Emmett to not gossip, but Lindsay, you have to tell.” Mel asks her.

Lindsay looks at Brian and he nods.

“Apparently now Justin is going to cheat with some guy name Nick. The same guy he accused Ben of cheating on him with.” Lindsay and Mel look to me and Brian.

I was going to tell them about Nick and Ted, but Brian tells them to go home and call Ted. I guess he really doesn’t want to deal with it anymore.

 

MEL

We gather the kids and Lindsay tells Justin that she wants to see pictures of everything when he comes home. Whatever happened outside seems to have made her understand. We were fastening the kids in the car when Michael shows up again.

“Can I get a ride to Ma’s with you?” He asks.

It is already almost 9 and the kids need to get to bed. I just want to get home. We both know it would be easier to just drop him off.

“Lindsay, you should see this guy Nick. He already interfered with my marriage and now Justin is messing with him. Brian needs to kick Justin out. You know what’s going to happen, Justin is going to screw around again. Don’t worry, I’ll take care of Brian, just like I always do.” Michael is rambling on.

I stop the car at a bus stop. I turn to tell Michael to get out but Lindsay beats me to it.

“Michael, you need to stop before none of us are willing to have you around anymore. Mel and I haven’t talked about this, but if you keep this up, we are going to see about supervised visitation. We are not going to get involved. You need to get out of the car and wait for the bus, maybe that will give you time to think about what is important.” Lindsay turns around and waits.

Michael looks at me, I shake my head no. He sits for a minute, then gets out and walks to the bus stop.