- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

This is right before the contest. Next chapter is going to bring all sorts of surprises for everyone.

BRIAN

Ted called to remind me that the King of Babylon contest is tonight. Justin was excited earlier when Daphne told him that she thought Michael was going to enter. Now it seems like he doesn’t even want to attend. I told him that I have to go to make sure that everything goes according to plan.

We are at the club, because I wanted to make sure everything was ready for the contest. I run the contest the same way it’s always been, everyone signs up the night of the contest and at 11 we crown the King. Justin is up on the stage playing on the pole. All the guys helping to set up watched as he twirled around it and overall just played. Ted had been talking to the DJ and they cued up High School Confidential. Justin looks up and flips them off.

I remember watching him that night. I was not going to hoot and holler with the other queens in the room. I had to prove to him that he wasn’t that important. Justin turned it around, and for the first time proved to me that he could make me less important. It was the first time he stood up to me. I didn’t like it.

One thing most people get wrong is that I wasn’t in love with Justin from the beginning. It was slow process. I felt the loss after he left me for Ian, and knew for fact after Stockwell lost. Justin is scary to love. He is independent as hell and gives everything to the ones he loves. I think it’s what attracts me to him. I”ve spent all my life solving things for family and friends, and with Justin I can rest. Not that I would tell him.

Michael is normally a good person, but he can’t make a decision without discussing it with me. I mean he broke up with Dave because I didn’t like him. Then went back to Dave when he was mad at me for his birthday party. With Ben, he hinted about him but hid him at first. Then when we found about the HIV, he was defiant. I worried because HIV is something that can kill someone. We talked, I made my opinion clear. Michael went after Ben and got him back. It was the first time that what we thought didn’t matter to him. My little brother was growing up, or so I thought. Ben proposed, Michael fell down again. He came to me to tell him what to do. I know at first he wanted me to tell him not to do it. The thing is, it wasn’t my life. If Justin proposed to me, I sure as hell wouldn’t go running to Michael before making my decision.

I know everyone has always wondered about why Justin but not Michael. It’s because Michael wanted things that I wouldn’t have given him, I don’t believe in faux marriage and all that it entails. It doesn’t do anything other than give us a false sense that we can have what straight people do. If marriage became legal, I would think about it. I just don’t see the point of something that really has no legal standing.

Justin is different. He is having fun and allowing me the space to progress at my own rate. He might not always like it but he does it. I also know that if I died tomorrow, Michael would weep in bed and expect everyone to take care of him. Making it into a three-part tragedy needing everyone to hold his hand. Justin would handle everything and worry about taking care of Gus. He would probably even take care of Michael, who wouldn’t do the same for Justin. He would fall apart in private and pick himself back up. It would be when he was alone with Daphne, she would force him to do what he needed so he could take care of everyone. I respect him because he is his own man. Michael cares about people until it interferes with what he wants.

 

 

JUSTIN

King of Babylon. I sort of want to do the contest, but at the same time want to see if Michael can hold his own. Brian told me no, apparently former kings can’t compete anymore. I don’t remember that rule. I played around on the stage since no one is going to be in for hours. Everyone is the setting up for the evening. Ted plays my song and I flip him off.

Ted is in love now and apparently I have no effect on him anymore. I need to find someone else to entertain me. Emmett won’t work, he only goes for beefy guys. Brian told me he is immune to my superpowers. That is a lie. All I have to do is head to his office, look over my shoulder and he would follow.

Emmett just came in, maybe we can go do something. Lunch sounds good.

 

EMMETT

I need a front row seat, so first I can watch, then I can help Michael when it’s over. I wanted to warn Ben not to come because this is going to be a train wreck. In the end, I’m here for Michael, who doesn’t realize that none of this is going to change Brian’s feelings. I finally got him to talk to me about why he was dancing tonight. I had hoped to get it through his head that nothing is going to change.  

I stopped by to hang out with Justin. We have some talking to do.

When I get there Justin is sliding around the pole. I still remember him dancing. Brian is deep in thought too, then music cues up and Justin is flipping them off.

I have a dilemma. Teddy or Justin? I want to know about Mr. Kinney and monogamy, but Teddy has a new hunk of burnin’ love too. I also need to talk to Ted about Michael. I know that normally I would get Brian, but he deserves to be left alone this time.

Ted waves me up to the office. I go towards the stairs and into the office. Ted is looking at his phone and smiling.  He looks up at me. I have never seen Ted this happy.

“I was going to tell you about the saga of Michael, but you know what, I want to hear the saga of Nick, So dish.” I tell him.

 

MICHAEL

Tonight is my night, I decided on the song ‘You Spin Me Round’ by Dead or Alive. I want Brian to know I’m serious. I thought about a superhero theme, but I couldn’t really dance to it. After practicing all week and trying to come up with a routine, I remember that Justin just got up there and danced.  I am going to wing it, if he can do it, so can I.

I also want to go on towards the end, because it will give me time to watch the others and also that way I’ll be close at hand when they announce that I win. I wanted to dye my hair and cut it to give me a new look. I made an appointment with a stylist Emmett uses. No one else goes there that we know. I also want an outfit that will make the guys drool.

I called Hunter to see if he would watch the store. He agreed as long as we don’t talk about Ben. I miss Hunter, he is upset about the whole split. I know Hunter and I can work it out. I want to have my life settled, once it is Brian and I, I can help Ben in raising Hunter.

I tried to call and ask Emmett advice about waxing or not. When I called it went to his voicemail, so I left a message to call me.

 

JUSTIN

I need food and entertainment. I called Daphne but she is out with her mom. She told me that she was coming tonight so I guess I am too. I tell Brian I am going to get something to eat. He just rolls his eyes. Emmett was talking to Ted so I’m on my own.

I wanted Mexican; chips and salsa, maybe a fajita, or well, anything at this point. The place near Babylon is really good. Through all of this Ben has been pretty quiet. I need to check on him. I figured he could join me, I hate eating alone. I called him, surprised when he said yes.

I was already munching on chips when Ben came in. He actually looks happy. I also figured I could find out about Nick for Ted.

“Hey Justin, thanks for inviting me.” Ben leans over and gives me a hug.

“I didn’t want to eat alone and I figured you could give me the inside scoop on Nick for Ted.”

When I first started talking he looked wary, but when I finished he was smiling.

“I think he and Ted will do well. Nick told me that he was ready to have a home life again. I really haven’t seen him in years so that is all I can tell you.” Ben is so sweet.

“I hope they work out. How about you?” I hope Ben doesn’t think I am prying.

“Well my marriage just went down the drain and I hung on until I saw no hope left. I am going to practice my motto of living in the now.” Ben says it and I really think that he means he is letting go.

I feel horrible for Ben. He is a really good person, who got trapped in the Mikey and Brian vortex.

Ben didn’t know that Michael is fine until he thinks Brian is pulling away. Michael then becomes clingy and needy. I think that Michael wants a combination of Ben and Brian.

 

BEN

When Justin called I was surprised. We really have never spent any time together. I was going to say no, but I am not going to let Michael be my reason for not doing things. I got to the restaurant and Justin looks like he is guarding the chips. Instead of asking me about Michael, he asked about Nick. Justin eased us into the subject of me but didn’t ask about Michael and I really appreciate his tact.

Justin wanted to order the family size fajita. I asked if anyone else was coming and he thinks about it, then says maybe we should order two. Where does the food go on him? I was asking what everyone was doing tonight, when Emmett and Ted appear.

They grab seats and I tell him Justin has ordered. Ted tells Justin to get Brian a grilled chicken salad. When the food arrives, no one seems surprised at the amount. We sit and start telling jokes. Justin and Ted are arguing about the contest tonight.

“Ted, I know for a fact that there is no rule that says I can’t dance tonight. I asked Sheba.”

I wasn’t around for the contest Justin danced in, but I do know that he won.

“Brian told me to tell you if you bring it up, you are being a twat.” Ted counters.

“Baby, we know you could win, but Brian doesn’t want to play into…” Emmett stops talking and looks to Ted.

“Just say it. I promise, it’s fine.” I tell them.

“We think Michael is going to compete.” Ted tells me.

We get off the subject of Michael. Justin orders Brian’s food and adds enchiladas to it. Ted pulls out Brian’s card to pay. We are walking back to Babylon and Justin has me come in to hang out. Ted tells me Nick is on his way. We go to the bar where Brian is on the phone. He nods to Ted and hands him the phone. Justin hands Brian the bag. He pulls out the salad then put the rest in the cooler behind the bar.

I watch the two of them and wonder how Michael can’t see what we all see. I stop that thought.

Justin walks over to the stage and starts to mess with the pole.

“No” Brian says.

“But...” Justin starts to say to Brian,

Brian just glares and Justin hops down and walks over to him smiling. I watch them argue about it, then Brian drags Justin into the backroom. I guess we won’t see them for a while. Emmett sits down next me.

“That’s what I want. Without all the earlier drama. How about you?” Emmett is still staring at the closed door to the backroom.

“I want fun right now and that later. I’m not going to jump into another relationship until I can be sure that the person doesn’t want to really be with someone else.” I tell Emmett.

“I get what you mean. After Drew, I was all over the place. I still have fun but until someone gives me that feeling that I got from Drew, I’ll wait.” Emmett tells me.

I look at the stage and you know what, I am going to live in the now.

 

LINDSAY

I called Emmett and asked about Nick. Michael has really lost it. Emmett tells me about the contest tonight, Mel and I are going. Mel at first thought we should stay home, then she said fuck it, let’s go. We called Hunter to babysit for us since he was planning on staying home. He was at Deb’s.

Debbie asked what we were doing. I wasn’t going to lie but I’m not going to tell her about Michael. I told her that Brian invited us out.

Mel was joking around about having a Queen of Babylon contest, when Hunter arrives with Deb in tow. Deb told us she was dropping Hunter off. She looked at both of us and asked if there was anything she needed to know. We were good and said no, a girl’s and guy’s night.

Hunter outed us.

“Everyone thinks Michael is going to compete tonight.” He tells her.

“Why would Michael want to enter that contest. He can’t even dance that well.” Deb seems puzzled.

“He could be out for a night of fun.” I tell her.

“Hopefully that’s all. Tell everyone dinner at my house tomorrow. Nobody is excused.” Deb states and goes to the car.

“She has changed her tune.” Mel looks to Hunter.

“Carl told her that she needs to make Michael deal with his own actions. It’s been hard on her but I think she knows that no one is going to forgive her again. I told her if she runs after to him to count me out too.” Hunter walks by and starts playing with the kids.

We have dinner with Hunter and tell him he can stay the night since we don’t know what time we will be getting home.

 

SHEBA

My little Justy is pouting, Big Bad won’t let him compete. I look over the list, and notice Michael’s name at the bottom. This is going to be interesting. I was walking to the bar to get a drink when a hottie stops me and asks me to add a name to the end of the list. He also asked about what song Michael picked. I told him. He smiles and tells me he’ll get back to me with a song.

When he comes back I almost burst out in laughter at the song he chose.