- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

It's been fun.

One Year Later

 

EMMETT

Where to start? I think Ben is having the hardest time right now. After the King of Babylon, Ben and Sean hung out a lot. Ben wanted to keep it casual, because he didn’t want to jump from one relationship to another. Sean held in there and after six months they moved in together. The problems started when Ben wanted to apply for a divorce. He found out that in Canada, couples couldn’t divorce unless one of them lived there for a year. Canada let them get married with no waiting period, but because they are non-residents they can’t divorce. Sean told Ben that unless the laws in the US change, legally the marriage wasn’t an issue. Sean told Ben that being together and building a life is enough for him. Ben is still trying to find a way to end his marriage.

When Sean moved in, Hunter was fine with it. Deb, not so much. She felt Ben should have been there for Michael. Ben told Deb to mind her own business.

Deb invited everyone for dinner, she wanted to piece together her family. She told Hunter to tell Ben he was expected. Ben arrived with Sean. Deb was civil but kept trying to talk about Michael and Ben still being married in Canada. Sean smiled to Deb and told her that it was too bad Canada didn’t put a longer waiting period on marriage. I think that we were all impressed, Deb left the subject alone around Sean after that.

Mel and Lindsay, are really doing well. Lindsay seemed to curb her impulse to bring Brian into any subject that doesn’t involve him. Mel seems happy and actually has conversations with Brian. They even have a visitation schedule with Brian and Justin. For Lindsay’s birthday, Brian paid for a trip to Paris for Mel and Lindsay. Gus stayed with Brian and Justin, JR stayed with Deb and Michael. The girls had a fabulous time.

Ted and Nick are still going strong. They moved into Nick’s house together. Ted was worried about Nick’s kid. Nick’s son and Ted got along well, the son is doing a dual major in accounting and finance. I sometimes wonder what Nick does when the two of them are geeking out together.

Drew and I started dating again. I wanted to take a slow, he wanted all the bells and whistles. I still had a room at Deb’s, but other than a visit I never stayed there. I remember telling Drew that I should just move in. Drew rented a truck to move me the next day. I finally just officially moved in after four months of dating.

Brian and Justin are still going strong. Justin graduates soon and has actually had galleries show interest in his work. He even got a write up from a critic. They had a fight about Justin moving to New York. Justin told Brian to go if it was so important to him. Justin said Brian could take some of his paintings with him. Brian was acting like a jackass and wanted Justin to explore a career. Justin asked him if he would he base an ad campaign on one person’s opinion or would he wait and see a group response. Brian stopped mentioning it.

Michael. There isn’t a whole lot to say about him. He moved in with Deb for a while. He didn’t like his mother in his business all the time, so when a customer who shopped at the store mentioned he needed a roommate Michael took him up on it.

Michael started a hate campaign against Sean. He said it was because Sean is trying to take his place in Hunter’s life. Hunter told me that he and Sean get along, but Sean told him that it wasn’t his business to be Hunter’s parent. Michael was so busy with Sean that he didn’t have time for Brian. He was mad at Ben because Sean was always with him. He even tried to get Justin to kill Ken off in the comic. Justin told Michael to remember that it’s a comic, not real life. It’s weird. Michael sent all these story ideas to Justin, like JT moving away, or Rage being confused about who he loved. Justin would send back an email telling him it wouldn’t work. Michael finally stopped try to kill anyone or get rid of a character. I asked him what changed his mind. He said Justin told him if he wanted him to stay on as the artist, they weren’t going sabotage the comic because Michael was mad.

 

BRIAN

Justin and I didn’t attend Deb's dinner after the contest. Lindsay told me that Mel, the kids, Emmett, and Drew were the only ones there. I just wasn’t up for the drama. The week before we left for Paris, Michael called 10 times a day, but I didn’t answer. Michael was always waiting for me at breakfast, I usually showed. I decided that when Michael wanted to discuss Justin, or how I would be better off with him, I would just move to another table and ignore him. Michael caught on after two days. Now he talks about his roommate and new comics.

The night before we were leaving for Paris, Justin went to visit with his mother and Deb. Michael came to the loft. He had that gleam in his eye. He told me I should cancel the trip, that I was giving Justin the wrong idea. I took him by the arm and locked him out of the loft.

When Justin and I got to Paris, we didn’t see anything but the hotel room for the first two days. Then we split the time outside the hotel between shopping and museums.

On our last night, I decided it was time to talk. I told him to tell me what he wanted in a relationship. Justin said as long as he came in second and that I talk to him and not brush off his concerns, that was all he needed from me. It took me a second to realize that he knew that Gus was going to come first.

I asked if he wanted the hetro package; marriage, babies, and a house. Justin asked what the purpose of marriage would be, since it’s not legal. He told me that he couldn’t guarantee that he would never want a child, but he also would rather it be like Gus. His art was going to have to come first. He also told me that at 20, children were an abstract for him. A house, he might want eventually. His reason was that there is only one room at the loft and Gus is going to need a room. If not a house, then expand the loft, so that Gus can have a room eventually.

We agreed that before we listen to anyone else, we talk to each other. I asked what he thought about monogamy. He said that he pretty much is, but if we slip, we tell each other and not hide it.

When we got home Justin grabbed the pictures and presents for Gus and the girls. Lindsay and Justin looked at all the pictures and Justin gave her an art book he found for her.

Lindsay and Justin have found a mutual understanding. That he will listen to anything she suggests, but it is just that, a suggestion, not a life plan. He also made her promise to pursue her art. Lindsay gave up the minute someone told her she didn’t have the talent and Justin compared it to doctors telling him he wouldn’t be able to create anymore. Mel told me that Lindsay has been working on it.

I was sitting outside smoking when Justin came out. I can finally say I am happy. The family is crazy, but we all love each other.

The End.
starlight is the author of 43 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 21 members. Members who liked Why do I love you also liked 666 other stories.