- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Chapter nine is almost ready so i should have that later today.

JUSTIN

After everyone left the loft, I looked over at Brian, who is laying on the bed, and I think it’s time to relax. He is looking at my face and I need him not to.

Crawling on the bed, I grab his sweats and try to work them down. Brian stops me, rolls us over and just stares. I don’t know what is going on in his head, but he is not going to get out of something he caused.

“Justin, did you know your mother could fight? She needs pointers, but overall I would have given  her an eight.” He still looks serious, but we both end up cracking up. We are laughing hard, until I reach for him. Then the laughter stops and everything else starts. Yep, this is perfect.

After another shower, I pick up my phone, Brian had put it on silent. I see six calls from Deb, one from Mom, one from the diner, and one from Emmett. I can’t decide who to call back first. There is a buzz on the intercom, so I just chuck the phone on the sofa and answer the intercom.

“It’s Mom. Let me up.” She sounds really calm. I buzz her in and unlock the door. When I push back the loft door to leave it open for my mother, I see Deb standing there. I do not need this.

“Deb, I need you to hide, cause my mom is on the way up.” I tell Deb as I grab her hand, close the door and run for the bathroom with her. Brian looks up, about to say something.

“Not now. Mom is on her way up. Deb you stay in here and do not, I repeat, do not, come out.” I shut the bathroom door just in time for my mother to walk in. Brian is still not moving and he's looking at the bathroom door.

“Hey Mom. Are you okay?”  I need her gone before anything else can go wrong.

“I’m fine sweetheart, I just wanted to check on you and tell Brian thank you for all his assistance.” She looks at Brian and they seem to be having a conversation I am not invited to.

“Let me see your face. Have you been putting ice on it?” She asks me, but is still looking at Brian.

“Give me a minute Jen.” Brian tells her as he walks over to his phone and makes a phone call, but he walks to the other side of the loft so we can’t hear. I decide that I need to get her out of here.

“I did that this morning and will do it again in a little while.” I tell her, while watching Brian on the phone.

“Let’s do it now. That way I know you took care of it. I have a house to show later today, so I have time.” She isn’t going to leave. I really don’t want to go back to the police station.

Brian hangs up the phone, walks to the kitchen then starts offering my mother a drink. Then he mentions I haven’t eaten yet today. He offers to order a pizza. That could take an hour and how am I going to keep Deb in the bathroom? Brian just keeps going, asking her if she can cancel he showing because it would be nice if she spends the day with us. I am ready to let Deb out just so she can slap him. I really don’t want to deal with this, but I know he is punishing Deb for not listening to him.

“I really need to pee.” I say out loud. I really feel stupid, like I would need to announce it. But I am stressed at this moment.

“Need me to hold it Sunshine?” Brian asks, smiling. He really is an asshole sometimes.

I walk to the bathroom and rush through the door and close it. “Deb, what the hell. Brian asked you to stay away and I know that you understood the words. What were you thinking?” I ask, because even though I am trying to protect her, I understand Brian acting out.

“Sunshine, I need to apologize, and I can’t do it if you don’t answer your phone.” Deb looks at my face and starts to cry.

“Deb, I know. I accept your apology, but this was not the way to go about it.” She nods and I hope she understands.

“I need you to not come out until I tell you. My mother probably isn’t ready to talk to you yet and if you really are sorry you will stay in here until I tell you to come out.” Deb nods, knowing that she really has no choice.

“Sunshine, I also need you to help convince Brian to help me with Michael.” She says, like this is a perfectly reasonable thing to ask after everything that has happened.

“No. Absolutely not. Michael started this, and until he stops we aren’t going to get involved. I just can’t help you with someone who caused this entire situation. Stay here.” I walk out and close the door. Please God, if I ever needed you, now is the time.

Someone is at the door again and when I look at Brian he's smiling. This can’t be good. When he opens the door, there is Daphne. Let’s see, if I leave it’s not aiding and abetting, is it? I stop where I am, sit on the floor, and decide I am done.

 

BRIAN

First, you need to know that when I saw Justin running past with Deb, I was going to stop him. She got herself in this mess, she can deal with the fallout. Second, I realized that I can make it worse. I am still angry and I asked for time. And this is what she does?  

When I see Jen come in, I decide that homicide lawyers are expensive and I can do better.

I walked to the other side of the loft, called Daphne, and told her we wanted to have a pizza night. That girl knows me better than that, she asks who, Deb or Jen. I say both. She just hung up the phone, so I know she’s on her way.  When Jen talks about having to show a house, I try to convince her to stay for Justin. She doesn’t know me the way Daphne does. I figure if I give her enough liquid she is going to have to go to the bathroom and really, I can remodel. I mean, Justin does like to use a bathtub.

“Justin why are you on the floor?” His mother asks him.

“Jen, how are you today?” Daphne asks her as she walks into the loft.

“I’m fine. How have you been, I haven’t seen you in a while? Is school going well?  How are your parents?” Jen asks, ever the WASP.

“Great Jen, it really has been a while. How are Tucker and Molly?” Daphne answers.

I love Daphne, she can keep Jen here.

I walk over to the kitchen and add more coffee to Jen’s cup and then the two of them walk to the sofa and sit down.

Justin is still sitting on the floor. I pick him up and walk him to the bedroom.

“What the hell are you doing Brian? I just don’t want a repeat of yesterday. If my mother hadn’t been on her way up I would have shut the door.”

I know that, but it is Deb I need to punish. I will not let Jen and her kill each other, but Deb needs to understand when I say stay away, do it.

The buzzer rings again and Justin runs to the door. Carl is standing there. Jen stands, walks to kitchen and puts her cup in the sink. She walks to Carl and apologizes for yesterday. He smiles and tells her not to worry. I really need to get her to drink more. Justin walks past me and shakes his head no.

“Justin, I’ll be back after I show the house. Oh, and Brian you can let Deb out of the bathroom now.” Jen says as she walks out.

 

CARL

I know where Michael is, but unless he commits and actual crime, I can’t break into his shop. I figured I would go get Deb from the diner and have her get him. When I got to the diner, Kiki tells me that she left. I stand there for a minute and pray that I am wrong about where she went. I know that all the prayers in the world are not going to change anything. I drive to the loft, and when I get out of the car I see Jen’s car. 'Please let Deb have been smarter than this', I say to myself.

Justin answers the door, says nothing, and walks away. Jen comes out of the kitchen, apologizes for everything and then says they can let Deb out. I know at this point Deb really doesn’t understand how bad things have really gotten if she showed up after what Brian said to her.  

Deb has a black eye and scratches all over. She covered up most of it but not all.

“Deb, get your ass out here.” I yell at her.

She opens the door and walks toward Brian. I just can’t let her do this again. I walk to her and stop her from reaching him.

“Carl, I need to apologize and then talk to him about helping Michael.” Deb tells me and I hear Brian snort.

“No, you need to come get your son. He is still in his shop.” I tell her.

“You found him?” I have no idea why she thought that it would be so hard to find him.

“At the shop? Well I have to go. Later Justin.” Daphne gets up and now I know there is going to be trouble.

Brian is giving her the thumbs up, Justin throws his hands in the air, and Deb turns to Brian.

“Brian, I understand that you’re mad, but he’s your best friend. He needs you and you need to set aside your feelings and help.” All I can think is, 'is Deb really this clueless'?

 

“No. And before anything else comes out of your mouth, walk out and wait for me to call you.” Brian then turns and walks away.

We turn to leave and I realize that Daphne is missing. I worry about this because between Daphne and Justin they could probably kill someone and get away with it. I grab Deb and pull her out.

“Carl, you need to help me get them to help. I know Michael is wrong, but he needs Brian.” She stands there determined, as if they owe her this.

“Ben, Deb. You should have been saying Ben. If I ever marry you, the person everyone should expect to help you is me. Why can’t you get that into your head? Your son has caused everything that is going on, and yet here you are, trying to find a way to make him innocent. At least you understand that Michael is wrong, but yet you are expecting the people you and he hurt, to help fix this. Think about that, and hope that we get to him before Daphne reaches him.” Finally, she walks with me to the car.

 

BRIAN

I didn’t want to see bloodshed. I really like my floors, and blood is hard to remove. I just want Deb to stop trying to get me to save her son. I have done everything she has ever asked to take care of him. Now I need to take care of Justin and myself. I have put Justin second, third, and last, too many times. I still have to tell him about Paris.

I walk into the bedroom to find Justin under the covers. Great. The princess is here. But you know, I have something that will stop this whole thing.

“Paris in two weeks, mark it on your calendar.” I say, before I turn and walk out of the bedroom and wait.

Have you ever had an armful of happy and excited Sunshine? Well until you do you will never understand why I want to make it my mission in life to make him happy.

“Please don’t joke about this Brian.” He is looking at me and biting down on his bottom lip.

“Call Cynthia if you don’t believe me.”

I will say that what happens in the next few hours makes me want to live in Paris.

 

DAPHNE

You know, I sat there and helped Brian with ‘Operation make Deb suffer’, but the truth is, I have been waiting for information on little Mikey. I left as soon as I got it because I am going to make the little man suffer. I thought about yelling, but I decided Michael is dense and I want this to hurt.  

If Justin was here I would get him to pick the lock on the back door. Justin and I have always been curious about things and when we were ten I wanted to try lock picking. We read a book and tried. I couldn’t do it. But Justin, he reads the book then turns and does it. I sit in my car down the road from Michael’s shop, waiting for Deb and Carl, they are going to get me into the store.

 

 

TED

 

I know Brian is pissed, but he still cares. He called me and told me that Carl found Michael, and would probably need help. He also told me that Daphne disappeared once she found out where Michael was and to keep her out of trouble. I call Emmett, because Daphne likes him, and will hopefully listen to him.

I see her in her car so I stop and let Emmett out to deal with her and I keep going.

Deb is banging on the door and yelling for Michael. Carl is behind her. I walk over and look in through the window. I can hear music and I see Michael doing something. It might be dancing, but I'm not really sure. He turns, sees us, and smiles. The music is turned off, then Michael walks over and opens the door. We start to go in, but I turn to Emmett and Daphne and tell her no. Did I really think she would listen?

“Teddy she is just going to be here for moral support.” Emmett tells me.  

I know he is not buying her excuse, but I really need to help Deb. I walk over to where Deb, Carl, and Michael are standing and listen to Deb start in on Michael.

“Michael, everyone has been looking for you. Do you realize what has been happening? You need to go home to Ben and fix everything before it’s too late.” She is talking to him like he's a child.

“Don’t worry Ma, I realized that I overreacted to the situation. I will apologize to everyone. In fact, I was just about to leave.” Michael is still smiling as he says this.

“See Carl, Michael is fine. Michael, we’ll wait for you, and take you home.” She tells him.

This is too easy. What is going on? Why is Daphne behind the counter?  Before I can question that, Michael walks to me and hugs me.

He looks at Emmett and I and says. “Look guys, I am so sorry for what happened, I was just feeling lost and vulnerable. I shouldn’t have done what I did.”

He walks to the door and ushers us out. Locks up and gets in Carl’s car with his mother.

Emmett looks at Daphne and me. “Do either of you believe any of that?”

“Guys we need to talk to Brian. There is no way after everything that happened that he suddenly ‘sees the light’.” She tells us.

Emmett and I burst out laughing. Daphne stares at us for a minute till she finally gets it. Then she starts to laugh along with us.