- Text Size +

 

 

 

“Have you seen the previews?” Lindsay asked Emmett.

They were waiting for everyone to arrive for the Saturday episode. So far it was just him, Lindsay, and Michael. “No, but I can just bet what it’s been about.” He hoped so much they played some of the Truth or Dare game. Justin’s little announcement and Brian passing out. He couldn’t believe it when he heard, their little Sunshine was going to be a daddy. He had done his darndest to keep it a secret from the gang, but he was sure that Blake knew because of the boards he frequents.

“Ted said that something big happened, but Blake won’t tell him,” Michael added.

“You could say that again,” Emmett sang.

“Come on, tell us,” Lindsay said.

“No, no, it has to be a surprise.”

Soon Ben, Jennifer, Tucker, Ted, Blake, Drew, Debbie, and Mel were there. Gus had a birthday party at that place with the scary mouse and the games. Carl had taken him because Gus was at that stage that a police officer was more exciting than anything else and he wanted to show off. Emmett had once been accused of prostitution by one of those good ol’ boys in blue, so his enthusiasm had waned. He did still like a bit of role playing in bed though. He was getting pretty tired of the Southern Preacher and the Quarterback…he didn’t even get to play the Preacher.

“I hate to say it, but I think Carl was happy that Gus asked him to take them to the party. I don’t think seeing Justin and Brian going at it like rabbits is his thing,” Debbie said, getting in the chair she deemed hers at their house.

“That works out for you Deb. Finally got one that isn’t gay,” Ted said with a laugh.

“Who do you think is going home today?” Lindsay asked.

“I hope it’s that Hannah, she’s up to something. I don’t trust her. She needs to stay away from Joe too, he’s got a family,” Debbie said, she had fallen into the reality wormhole.

Hunter and Meena got there and were arguing about something called manga. He liked when Meena was there because she got into the show more than Debbie did. The girl was nice enough but a bit much, perfect for Hunter who kept his emotions very close to the vest, unless that emotion was anger.

“Oh, yeah, I hope it’s okay, but I invited my dad. He wanted to come see me and talk about something. I told him I was free tomorrow, but he said he wanted to see me tonight. I told him about our little viewing party, and he thought it was a great idea. Apparently, he’s a huge fan,” Mel said, looking a bit embarrassed.

“Oh honey, that’s alright. I’ve been wanting to meet your dad. All I’ve met was your mother and I have to say, I’ve met nicer rabid dogs,” Debbie said.

“Oh, yes, it’s perfectly fine,” Emmett said a little tightly. It wasn’t that he didn’t want Mel’s father to come but a little notice would have been nice.

“Thanks. It seems we’ve always been distant. Now that we have the kids, I want a relationship with him. I want them to know their grandfather.”

“I just wish I knew; I would have made more hors d’oeuvres.”

“Sorry, Em. I wasn’t thinking,” Mel said apologetically.

“That’s alright. So, when does your dad get here?”

“Should be any minute. He’s supposed to message me when he gets to the gate.” Her cell phone chimed. Mel grabbed her phone and looked at it. “He’s here.”

She ran off to let him in. Emmett always wondered want kind of person would raise such a badass like Melanie. He always thought the reason Mel and Brian hated each other was because they were so much alike. Not that he would tell either of them that, he liked his balls where they were.

A few minutes later Melanie was coming in with a tall, stern looking man. His dark hair was just starting to grey at the temples. For some odd reason Emmett hadn’t thought Mel’s dad would be tall. Maybe because of her short stature. There was something familiar about his hazel eyes. Mel’s were a rich brown color, but there was something there he just couldn’t place it.

They all made their introductions and he apologized to Lindsay for not meeting her yet. Lindsay was a bit frosty, but her upbringing wouldn’t allow her to be rude.

“It’s quite alright. You’re here now and that’s all that matters,” she said primly. He loved when someone got Lindsay’s WASP attitude out. She was such a diva then.

“I was hoping I would see Gus and Jenny Rebecca, but I heard they had more important things,” the man said good-naturedly.

“Birthday parties are exciting at his age,” Mel said. Emmett could see the want to please her father. He didn’t have the best relationship with his dad, meaning not one at all but he knew the feeling.

“It’s coming on,” Jennifer said.

“Oh, goody,” he said, excited for everyone to find out about the baby. “Take any seat you want,” Emmett told Mel’s dad. “What should we call you?”

“Sam is fine.”

The room got quiet. “Can you say awkward?” Hunter said.

“Why? What’s going on?” Meena stage whispered.

“Lindsay cheated on Mel with a man named Sam,” Hunter told her, not even trying to whisper.

“Really? That’s got to open some wounds.”

“Enough from the peanut gallery,” Debbie said, giving the two a glare.

Now Lindsay didn’t look so high and mighty, in fact she looked ashamed.

“We’re not perfect people, we make mistakes. I’ve forgiven her as she’s forgiven me for my own transgression,” Mel said defending her wife.

“Damn straight, none of us is without something we regret. Now let’s watch our Sunshine and Brian,” Debbie said.

“It’s starting,” Blake warned.

Everyone rushed to their seats, Sam picking out a seat by Mel. She smiled at him and patted his hand, the man smiled lovingly at his daughter. It was a sweet moment.

Looking back at the screen, it was showing the game. Emmett was so excited he could barely stand it.

“What are they doing?” Debbie asked.

“Playing a drinking game, it seems,” Drew said.

“Well, we know Brian can hold his alcohol. I remember this time when we were sixteen,” Michael said. Emmett noticed a slight jerk in Sam’s head.

“You know Brian?” Sam asked as the drinking game played onscreen.

“Yeah, he’s been my best friend since we were fourteen,” Michael said.

“Wow, I guess you know his boyfriend too.” It was weird, Sam looked like he was processing the new information. Why would he care? Maybe it’s like when people know celebrities. The man was this close to Drew Boyd and didn’t seem to care though.

“This is Sunshine’s mom,” Debbie said, pointing at Jennifer. Jennifer smiled sweetly.

“I can see it,” Sam said in a flirty tone.

“Oh, he’s a charmer. You better watch out Tucker,” Debbie said with a guffaw.

 Tucker just smiled but did grab Jennifer’s hand. They all went back to watch the screen. Justin just dropped the bomb about the baby.

“WHAT?” several people yelled.

“Did you know?” Debbie asked Jennifer.

“No, he mentioned he was thinking about moving back but that’s it. I’m going to be a grandmother…again.”

“Again?” Sam asked.

“Yes, Brian was Lindsay and Mel’s sperm donor.”

Whatever was going on onscreen was forgotten because Sam clutched his chest. “Oh, god no.”

“Dad, what’s wrong? Is it your heart? Linds, call an ambulance,” Melanie said in a panic.

“I didn’t know. I’m sorry, it’s all my fault,” Sam cried.

“What? What’s your fault?” Melanie asked. “It’s alright whatever it is.”

“No, I had an affair when you were little and fathered a baby boy. You gave birth to your brother’s baby.”

There was dead silence, everyone seemed to be in shellshock.

Meena crunched on some popcorn and swallowed. She said in a loud side whisper, “I thought Michael’s dad was a drag queen.”

“That’s what I was told,” Hunter said.

He didn’t know if it was reason coming back to everyone or just the absurdity of Hunter and Meena watching the goings on like it was the show they were watching.

“What are you talking about?” Mel asked.

“I had an affair with a woman named Joan, she gave birth to a baby and named him Brian. I’ve wanted to tell you for years, but your mother has kept me quiet. I guess I was done keeping quiet. Seeing him on the program finally got my butt into gear.”

Many emotions flashed on Mel’s face before she grimaced. “You think I would let Brian’s sperm in me?”

That looked like it surprised him. “But she said that Brian was your donor,” he said pointing at a white-faced Jennifer.

“Brian is Gus’s father, he donated sperm to Lindsay. Michael is JR’s father.”

“Hey guys, I hate to break this up, but Brian just passed out,” Hunter said.

“We will talk about this later,” Melanie said, pointing in her father’s face. He just nodded and they went back to watching the show. Although a lot of the levity had vanished.

The screen went to the current situation out of the house. Brian and Justin were avoiding each other.

“Contestants, tonight’s elimination is again going to be different. It will be a double elimination, but it won’t be up for a vote. It will be determined by a contest. The bottom four contestants, as soon as you hear your name walk outside when all four contestants are outside everyone else join to spectate,” EITS said.

“Please don’t be Justin,” Jennifer said.

“It can’t be him again for the second week in a row,” Debbie said.

“You guys just prove over and over again you aren’t reality show fans,” Meena said shaking her head.

“The first person in the bottom four is Miles, please go outside into the backyard. The next person is Hannah, please go into the backyard. The third person in the bottom is Lewis, please go into the backyard. The last of the bottom four will be revealed after this word from our sponsors.”

“That’s so annoying when they do that,” Lindsay said.

“Good thing Brian’s not here, you know what he would say,” Ted said with a smile.

“What would he say?” Sam asked. The atmosphere took another nosedive.

“Brian owns an advertising agency so he’s always bitching when people get mad at the commercials,” Blake told him.

“It’s coming back on,” Lindsay said, grabbing her wife’s hand.

Onscreen, the contestants were waiting for the last name. “The last of the bottom four is Justin.”

“What? Not again,” Jennifer said. Tucker put his arm around her.

Justin walked out to the backyard, then the rest of the people followed.

“Contestants, this will be a team competition. The winning team will be able to stay in the house. The losing team will be leaving. The choosing of the teams will be up to fate. On the table you will see a box, inside the box is four armbands, two colors each. One at a time stick your arm in the box and put out an arm band. Justin, please go first.”

“There you go Sunshine, I bet you didn’t know you’d be fisting a box today,” Brian said from the sideline.

There were several laughs onscreen and in the room. Justin put his hand in the box and pulled out a red armband. Next Lewis pulled out a blue armband, then Miles pulling out a blue armband. That left Hannah pulling out a red armband.

“There are four booths, you are unable to see the other three contestants. This is Two Truths and One Lie. You will read two truths and one lie, and your partner will have to guess which one is the lie. The highest score after three rounds wins. There is a screen on the sideline so other contestants can watch without risk of cheating. Do not speak after you’ve read your posterboard,” EITS said.

“That sucks, I like Miles and Lewis, but we need Justin to win,” Meena said.

“Meaning the nails on the chalkboard gets to stay too,” Hunter agreed with her.

“Teams you have three posterboards with prewritten truths and lies we have collected from yourself, friends and family.”

“Wait did anyone get asked questions about Brian and Justin?” Michael asked.

“I got questions about Justin but not Brian,” Jennifer said.

“Same,” Debbie said.

“Yeah, same,” Emmett said. That was weeks ago when they asked, just after Justin left for California for the show.

“They probably just didn’t have time to do Brian’s. Good thing he wasn’t in the bottom four,” Blake said.

“And we know how Brian feels about being bottom,” Ted said, earning laughs from most of those in the room except Sam.

He’ll need to get the stick out of his ass if he wants anything to do with Brian.

“Justin has to stay; he’ll be brokenhearted if he goes home, and Brian stays,” Drew said.

“Team Red, your turn first, Justin read then Hannah guess the lie. Then it will be Miles going with Lewis guessing, then Hannah with Justin guessing and lastly Lewis goes with Miles guessing. After the first round, we start over again with Justin.”

Justin looked down at his first posterboard, holding it up so the audience can see and read. “1. I’ve never been to Canada. 2. I didn’t graduate from art school. 3. When I was twelve, I fell and broke my rib while snowboarding.”

Hannah smiled. “You’ve been to Canada, you said that was where Brian’s son was for a while.”

“Team Red, correct, 1 to 0. Miles, your turn.”

“1. I skipped the 7th grade. 2. My first girlfriend’s name was Jolene, same as my mom’s. 3. My parents are still married.”

“3, your parents are divorced,” Lewis said.

“Team Blue, correct. 1 to 1. Hannah, your turn.”

“1. I was first place in the Youth Rodeo semi-regional barrel racing 3 years in a row. 2. My mom is a twin. 3. I’ve been married.”

“Well, I know you won 3 years in a row, not sure if it was youth rodeo but maybe. I think I remember you saying that your mom has a twin brother. So, I think you’ve never been married.”

“Team Red, correct. 2 to 1. Lewis, your turn.”

“1. I have 4 kids. 2. My husband and I exchanged vows in Hawaii. 3. I’ve seen Barry Manilow in concert 6 times.”

“Oh, I don’t think I know this. I know you have 4 kids, but I don’t know anything about your wedding or music preference. I don’t think you seem like a Manilow fan, so, I’ll say, you haven’t been to 6 Manilow concerts.”

“Team blue, incorrect. Lewis is a hardcore Fanilow; he exchanged vows in Miami. 2 to 1. Justin, your turn.”

Justin hadn’t moved much since he put the first poster on the ground. Whatever was on the 2nd one was causing him distress. Finally, he looked up, looking hurt before he cleared his throat.

“1. I have 1 sibling, a sister. 2. I was paid for sex after I moved to New York. 3. My best friend’s name is Denise.”

Even Hannah looked taken aback about the middle one. “Just because I know you only have a sister and your best friend’s name is Daphne. So, number 3 is the lie.” She actually looked uncomfortable with the whole thing, for good reason.

“What the hell?” Debbie roared. “Sunshine wouldn’t have to do that. I don’t know where they are getting their information but it’s wrong.” Emmett decided to keep it to himself how much Justin wanted to be independent when he moved to New York. He thought it was possible, but the question was who would have known?

“I could see it, he’d make a killing,” Hunter said, earning a glare from Debbie. “What? It’s the truth, take a professionals opinion.”

Meena smiled gently at him and put her head on his shoulder. He didn’t know if Meena knew but he guessed Hunter had told her.

“Team red, correct. 3-1. Miles, your turn.”

It was all innocent questions, nothing like what Justin had gotten. Everyone had answered their question right in the 2nd round. Now it was the start of round 3 with the score of 4 to 3.

Justin looked blank as he read his last posterboard, showing the audience like he must have been asked. “1. I’ve had an STD. 2. I did sexual favors for my boss when I was a go-go boy. 3. I’ve slept with multiple people in one night.”

Hannah looked angry. “I refuse to answer.”

“Hannah, you have to give an answer,” the robotic voice said.

“It’s alright Hannah,” Justin told her, his voice gentle.

“I don’t think he’s had an STD. I’ve heard him and Brian talking.”

“Team red, correct but since Justin spoke after the posterboard was read, you lose the point.”

“What is going on there? I thought in the beginning it seemed they liked hurting Justin but now I’m sure of it. First Chris, then Craig, then Brian goes in to protect him, so they have to do something else,” Jennifer said.

“I agree, they didn’t do anything like this last year. It’s very suspicious,” Meena said.

“The score is 5 to 5,” the voice said. They had missed the last questions; Justin must have gotten Hannah’s right.

“Anyone else get truths and lies like Justin’s?” Ted asked.

“No,” Blake answered sadly.

“Fuckers,” Debbie said.

“As a tie breaker there is one question left. There is a dry erase board by your feet. Pick it up and answer the question about your teammate. Whoever is closest of the 4 wins for their team.”

The 4 grabbed their dry erase boards and uncapped their markers.

“How old was your teammate when they lost their virginity?”

“I thought this was supposed to be a family show,” Debbie said.

“Somethings up, I don’t know what. They weren’t the first to ever have sex in the house. But other years they didn’t make a thing about it. They basically forced Justin and Brian to do it in public instead of the hidden corner that other contestants have used years before,” Meena told them.

“Poor Sunshine.”

All the boards were up now. On Justin’s for Hannah was 16. Miles for Lewis was 19. Hannah for Justin was also 16. Lewis for Miles was 18.”

“When I say your name, say your age when you lost your virginity. Justin?”

“17.”

“Miles?”

“22.”

“Hannah?”

“16.”

“Lewis?”

“15.”

 

“Team Blue’s guesses are 8 years off; Team Red’s is 1 year. Team Red are the winners. Team Blue has 5 minutes to gather their things and leave the house.”

“What the fuck did we just watch?” Debbie asked.

“I don’t know but we can pretty much guarantee that the people aren’t in it to help Justin,” Ted answered.

“That begs the question. Who did he piss off and how high are they in the show or network? My guess is pretty high to get away with that,” Meena said.

It made sense what she said. From the beginning something was off. There was no way they missed knowing about Justin’s bashing or his dad’s violence towards him.