- Text Size +

After Emmett and Drew had left for South Korea, Justin, Brian, Daphne, Ted, and Blake went to the Honeycutt/Boyd home to get the nursery set up for their new nephew. Emmett had refrained from setting it up himself while waiting for word on the adoption application, not wanting to jinx it by over-planning.

The group knew that Drew would probably love a sports-themed room for his son, but they agreed that it was a little too mature for a baby. They decided on a zoo theme and of course Justin wanted to contribute by painting a mural. While he and Daphne were out buying paint, Brian and Ted found some beautiful chocolate-brown baby furniture at Pottery Barn. They ordered a crib, changing table, rocking chair, dresser, nightstand, and book shelf. It would all be delivered in five days, when the walls would hopefully be finished. The room that would become the new nursery only had a few pieces of furniture left over from Lyla's babyhood. While the others were out, Blake stayed at the house while a local charity came to pick the old furniture up.

Since they were short on time, Justin spent a day drawing the outline for his mural on only one of the walls while the rest of the group painted the other three walls sky blue. They also helped with painting some of the larger areas of the mural while Justin worked on the finer details. Normally, Justin wouldn't think of allowing someone else to help on one of his masterpieces, but he was working against a clock and needed all the help he could get. He was very impressed by how well his partner and their three good friends did.

Once the walls were finished and dry, the group spread out and went shopping for baby clothes and supplies. While talking on the phone with Emmett, Justin found out how old the baby was so they could get the right clothing and diaper sizes. One thing that the former twink was still very good at was innocently asking questions without arousing suspicions. Brian tried not to contemplate that too hard.

Brian's idea of baby shopping was not going to Babies R Us or any place like that, opting instead for an upscale boutique located in the affluent Regent Square suburb. His nephew would be dressed "properly", just as his niece had been when she came home. He had already made sure that the absolute best car seat would be waiting in South Korea when Emmett and Drew got there, with help from Beena and some sleuthing to find out where the couple would be staying during their trip.

***************

Brian and Justin had again made sure that the "About to be Dads Again" couple had first-class travel arrangements. As usual, Emmett's waterworks started up when he discovered the upgrade. This time around, the couple was a little less anxious and able to get some much-needed rest on their flights, which took them from Pittsburgh to Newark, Newark to Beijing, and Beijing to Seoul.

When they finally landed in Seoul, they were met by the lawyer that Jayoung had referred them to handle the adoption, a family friend. She had made the arrangements because she knew that it was important to get someone who spoke both languages fluently, so that there wouldn't be any complications with the adoption.

As soon as they got through customs, a Korean man walked over to them.

"Hello, you must be Emmett Honeycutt and Drew Boyd," the man said in an American accent. "My name is Peter Chung, I'll be your lawyer and tour guide while you're here in Seoul."

Emmett and Drew must have looked surprised, because Peter smiled and said, "I grew up in the states; my parents immigrated after the war. I'm licensed to practice law here in Seoul, in Pennsylvania, and in New York."

Peter continued to speak as they made their way to the baggage claim. "I would like to offer you gentleman the choice of staying in my home while you're here. I can assure you that there is plenty of room."

"That is very kind of you, Mr. Chung," Drew said. "Are you sure it won't be a problem?"

"Not at all, and please call me Peter. My partner and I love to have company. It's not always easy to find people who are like us. Maybe one day the world will see that we are just people and we can all live in peace."

"Ohhh..." Emmett said just a little surprised, as he finally got it.

Peter nodded and continued. "Yes. We still need to be careful, and that's another reason I thought you might like to stay with us. This is a very conservative country. If you two tried to share a room in a hotel, there could be a problem. People here just assume that Andy is my brother and we let them think what they want; we actually met in law school and just happen to have the same last name. We travel between here and the states."

Once they got to the Chung home and met Peter's partner Andy, Emmett and Drew decided it would be a lot better and safer to stay with the couple. Peter called the hotel that they had booked and canceled on their behalf, even talking the manager into refunding their deposit.

"Guys, this was delivered here for you earlier today" Andy announced, pointing at a large brown box sitting on the living room floor.

"Why would someone send something here for us?" Emmett asked, thoroughly confused as he took the box and looked at the return address label. There was no name, only a P.O. box in Pittsburgh. Taped to the inside flap of the box was an envelope with a greeting card congratulating the couple on their new baby boy. Emmett opened the card and recognized Brian's handwriting.

You're going to need this to bring your little prince home, Brian and Justin XOXO.

Justin had signed and added his own little touch at the end.

Emmett dissolved into tears at the site of Consumer Reports' best-rated car seat/carrier for their future son inside the box.

"You guys have great friends," Peter commented.

"Yeah, they are the best," Drew answered, shaking his head in disbelief at the wonderful gift as he hugged his partner.

"I have arranged appointments tomorrow for you to meet with the three babies that you selected," Peter said as he showed them to their room. "Two of them are in foster homes while the other is in an orphanage. I'm happy that they are all still available for adoption, since it sometimes doesn't work out that way when a prospective adopter gets here to see them."

The guest room was fairly large, with a four poster king sized bed and a private bathroom. Emmett and Drew had been spoiled by the extravagant suite they had stayed in at the Baqai home in Pakistan, but they knew they'd be comfortable in the Chung's guest room.

"We rarely have guests stay with us, unless a friend or family member from the states comes to visit and doesn't want to stay at a hotel. When we were looking for a house, we had to get a two-bedroom or it would have raised suspicions."

There was a crib in the corner of the room.

"That is on loan from Andy's sister," Peter said, pointing to it. "She had a little girl a couple years ago and just bought her a big-girl bed."

Emmett and Drew talked about what they would name their son later that evening. They had both been thinking of names for months but had been holding off on revealing their choices. Since Emmett had gotten to choose Lyla's name, they decided that Drew would pick their son's first name and Emmett would pick the middle name.

"Okay, what do you think of Sawyer?" Drew asked.

"Sawyer," Emmett repeated. "That's not very common for a first name. Where'd you come up with that?"

"I remember my grandma giving me The Adventures of Tom Sawyer for my birthday when I was twelve, right before she died. I loved that book and have been a Mark Twain fan ever since."

"I would have guessed it'd be from the Rush song, although they say it more like ‘Tom Soy' rather than ‘Tom Sawyer,'" Emmett said, knowing that he was playing with fire.

"Hey, Geddy Lee is a fucking musical genius, the best bassist in all of rock," Drew shot back, wagging his finger at his partner. "He'll pronounce it however the fuck he wants. ‘Tom Sawyer' is one of the greatest songs ever composed and arguably the band's most popular."

Emmett laughed and gave the angry man a kiss, having heard him defend his favorite band many times over the years. "I know, Drewsie, I know."

"Besides, the song is about the book. ‘Tom' and ‘Thomas' are such common names, but ‘Sawyer' is a little more unique. Plus, I think it'd be cool for both of our kids to have a ‘y' in the middle of their first names and last names."

"I like it," Emmett said. "How about Sawyer Vic?"

Drew had heard a lot about dearly departed Vic Grassi since meeting Emmett, becoming one of Debbie's "sons," and volunteering at the man's namesake AIDS hospice. Drew always wished that he could have met Vic before his passing, because he sounded like a pretty remarkable man.

"Sawyer Vic Boyd - it's perfect."

"Very butch... Brian will approve," Emmett added.

Because they were both excited about meeting the babies the next day, as well as the thirteen-hour time difference, they had a very hard time sleeping. Emmett got up early having managed to get a couple of hours of sleep.

Andy and Peter were sitting in the kitchen having coffee when Emmett staggered in, his hair a hot mess.

"Good morning," Peter said. "Would you like some coffee or something to eat?"

Emmett raked his fingers through his hair. "Definitely yes on the coffee, two sugars, but please let me make something for us for breakfast."

"Oh no, you're our guest," Andy said as he began to pour a cup.

He was already digging through the refrigerator to see what ingredients the men had. "I insist. You made us a lovely dinner last night, so it's the least I can do. Besides, it will help me relax. I'm a caterer - food is my life."

Seeing that they had everything to make nice quiche, Emmett got started on the meal.

"Are you going to wake Drew up?" Peter asked as the quiche went into the oven.

"No, he'll be up before this comes out. I swear, he has an alarm attached to his nose. He always gets to the table by the time the food is ready," Emmett answered, laughing.

Just before the quiche came out of the oven, Drew walked into the kitchen.

"What smells so good?" he asked.

"See what I mean?" Emmett said, a smug smile on his face as their hosts chuckled.

Drew just smiled back and gave his partner a good morning kiss.

After breakfast, Emmett, Drew, and Peter all got dressed to go to their appointments. They visited the two foster homes first. Emmett asked several questions of the foster families through Peter, since neither of the families spoke English.

The first baby was cute, but Emmett didn't get any special feelings when he held him, the way he had when he first saw and held Lyla.

The second baby cried and screamed the whole time they were there. Nothing that any of them did to soothe him seemed to make a difference. Neither Emmett nor Drew wanted to try to handle a baby who seemed to be terrified of them.

They went to the orphanage last, where they were led into a small room with a couch and a couple of armchairs. A caretaker at the orphanage was holding the baby boy, the one Lyla called the "happy one."

One of the caseworkers at the orphanage spoke English and she happily told the men about the baby.

"He had been left in a box on the doorstep, and he was found when one of our workers got here in the morning. He was cold, wet, and hungry, but even though he was whimpering, he still tried to smile. We got him cleaned up and fed. In spite of the rough start he had gotten in life, he always seems to be happy and smiling. He's teething, but he hardly ever cries. He's a sweetheart."

Emmett was glad that this baby had been Lyla's favorite, just based on one photograph of the little boy's smiling face. She had always been a great judge of character. Once she got older, she would probably be amazed to hear that she and this little boy had similar stories of how they were each abandoned by their real parents.

"Can I hold him?" he asked, being handed the baby a few moments later.

"Hi, Sweetie," Emmett said to the child. "You sure are handsome."

The baby looked up at Emmett and gave him a gummy smile. He then grabbed onto Emmett's index finger, squeezing tight. Emmett couldn't help but tear up as he felt his chest constrict.

Emmett looked at his partner and found a smile on his face. It was obvious that they both wanted this child to be their Sawyer Vic.

Once they were in the car and on the way back to the Chung home, they told Peter their decision. Peter called the adoption agency and informed them that Emmett wanted the baby from the orphanage once they were back at the house.

It took a little over a week to get the legal documents sorted and to get Emmett appointed as the child's temporary guardian. Emmett and Drew were permitted to pick the baby up from the orphanage and take him back to the Chung's home while they waited for their new little Sawyer to be approved to leave the country with them. Twelve days after arriving in Seoul, Emmett and Drew were headed home with their son.

***************

The day before Emmett and Drew were due home with the new baby, the guys were at the house putting the finishing touches on the nursery. The walls were finished, the furniture had been delivered and set up, and the clothes had been washed and put away. There were tons of stuffed zoo animals around the room, as well as some framed photos of Drew, Emmett, and Lyla on a recent trip to the zoo.

Once they were all finished, they let Lyla and Beena see the nursery.

"Wow, it's almost as beautiful as my room," Lyla said, hugging Justin. "Uncle Jussy, I like your painting, it's just like going to the zoo."

Brian smirked. "Yeah, ‘Uncle Jussy,' maybe you could get a job doing this."

His comment earned him a whack on the arm with a stuffed elephant.

Brian and Justin drove the Escalade to the airport the following day to pick up Emmett, Drew, and Sawyer Vic. The couple happily showed off their newest addition. On the way home, Drew sat up front with Brian while Justin and Emmett sat in the back with Sawyer.

"Oh, I can hardly wait for Lyla to meet her new baby brother," Emmett gushed. "She's been looking forward to us adopting another baby as much as we have."

"I know, it's all she's talked about every time I've seen her this past year," Justin said.

Justin tried not to feel too envious of his friend for having two beautiful children with his partner. Justin loved Gus and JR like they were his own, but he sometimes wished that he could be a real father to his own children, whether adopted or born with the help of surrogate. He knew that full-time fatherhood was only a pipe dream.

When they pulled into the driveway of the massive home, Lyla ran out to greet them, followed by Beena and Daphne. As much as she loved spending time with her Auntie Bee, she had missed her fathers being there. She also could not wait any longer to meet her baby brother.

"Which one did you get, Daddy?" the curious little girl asked.

Lowering the car seat so that she could see the baby, Emmett smiled. "This is your new brother, Sawyer."

"Oh Daddy, it's the happy one! Thank you so much!" Lyla squealed and clapped, excited that they had gotten the baby that she wanted. She had recognized him from his picture immediately, since she had gotten Beena to print it out for her.

Once they got inside the house, Lyla sat on the sofa so that she could hold her new brother. She was so excited to see him, she hadn't even bothered to hug her fathers. When Emmett put the baby in her arms, she started crying softly.

"Sweetie, are you okay?" Emmett asked, concerned for his daughter.

She looked at him and nodded, a big smile on her adorable face. "Yes Daddy, I'm just so happy."

Justin snapped some pictures to permanently capture the beautiful moment, deciding that he would make a painting out of one of the pictures and give it to Emmett and Drew for Christmas.

"Well Honeycutt, she sure is your daughter," Brian quipped, smirking.

Emmett just glared at him, shaking his head.

"Daddy, we should show Sawyer his room," Lyla said, giggling.

Beena had been coaching her so that she didn't give away the surprise.

"Yes, I guess we should," Emmett said. "We need to get it fixed up for him soon, too."

Drew took his son and they all walked upstairs to Sawyer's room. He had known what the others had done as a surprise and couldn't wait to see his partner's reaction.

Emmett opened the door to his son's room and couldn't hold back the tears.

"Oh my God, you guys!" he sobbed. "You didn't have to do this... again!"

Ted and Blake were waiting inside the room so that they could get video of his reaction.

Emmett looked down at his daughter, who was squirming beside him. "I did it, Daddy, I kept the surprise a secret!"

"You did a great job, Princess," Drew said to her.

She looked up at her fathers with a smirk on her face.

Emmett then looked at Brian, king of the smirk. "Ugh, did you have to teach her that?"

Brian gave Emmett a smirk of his own.

Emmett grabbed Justin in a hug. "I love it, and the mural is perfect Baby. I can't believe that you guys got this done so fast, it's beautiful and amazing. I really do have the best family in the whole world."

Justin hugged the tall queen tightly. "We love you guys, too."

Brian put his arm around Emmett's shoulder. "Yeah, what he said."

He then took Justin's hand and said, "We need to go, Sunshine. Time to let the little family get settled in with their new rugrat."

Brian was getting better, but true heart-felt emotions were still sometimes too much for him to stomach.

Everyone soon went home, leaving Emmett and Drew alone with their two children. Ted and Blake were sweet enough to bring them a casserole for dinner so they wouldn't have to cook their first night home.

They had a bit of trouble getting Lyla to bed, since she wanted to stay up to spend more time with her new baby brother, despite Sawyer being conked out in his crib.

"Sawyer is going to be your brother forever, Princess," Emmett reminded her as he and Drew tucked her in after reading her a story.

"You'll have plenty of time to play with him in the future," Drew added. "Trust me, there will come a day when you'll want to take a break from him. I grew up with a little brother and I would often have to beg him to leave me alone."

He refrained from telling his daughter that he used to beat the shit out of his brother when telling him to piss off didn't work.

Lyla shook her head before letting out a big yawn. "Nope, me and him are going to be best friends."

Both fathers hoped that would be the case.

Exhausted from the excitement of the day, the time change, and the long flight, the couple relaxed on their back deck after both kids were asleep. Emmett was sipping a glass of red wine while Drew was enjoying some of the very expensive scotch that Brian had bought them for Christmas the previous year. They had two baby monitors close by in case either of the kids needed them.

"We now have two beautiful children," Emmett said before breaking out into song, as the queen was known to do when he was happy. "I got rhythm, I got music, I got my man. Who could ask for anything more?"

Drew chuckled, deciding not to burst his partner's bubble by mentioning marriage.