- Text Size +
Story Notes:

DISCLAIMER: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

Author's Chapter Notes:

I want to thank Lorie my Beta for the help in making this read better.

Where to start in this amazing story called my life? My name is Gus, I’m 13 years old, I have a sister named Jenny Rebecca who’s 9 and two mothers who can’t get along. I am sitting next to my sister on a hard bench in a police station in Florida. Wonder how we got here? I’ll start at the beginning:

 

When I was 5 we moved to Canada, the land of wonderful. My mothers thought that if gay marriage was legal then everyone must love the idea. What they found was that they couldn’t find jobs and it was like everywhere else, some people were accepting and some were not. We stayed in Canada for a year, apparently Mel realized that Linds was getting my dad to supplement money when they needed it. Mel being Mel, was pissed at Linds for going behind her back, even if it meant keeping us off the street. A week later Mel came home from her job and told us that we were moving to Florida, her aunt was going to let us live in one her houses. Linds, being ever the doormat, went along with the idea.

 

Florida, other than being hot was just like everywhere else. We have lived here for six years. The only difference between Canada and Florida, was that they both were able to get jobs. Neither of them told the dads for a couple months, until JR mentioned it to Michael. I wished I could have seen him explode.

 

Michael, never one to not let his opinion go unnoticed, apparently got Mel’s work number and went into Drama Queen mode on her. He felt that he and Brian should have been told. I agree with him on this, I didn’t lie to my dad, I told him. Michael then told them he was coming to Florida. Mel told him that we didn’t have time for a visit. I knew that he would go to my dad, so I used the phone and called Justin.

 

Justin called all the time and checked in to make sure JR and I were good. In my ‘7 year old’ mind, I felt he was the one who would take care of me when all the other parents went crazy. When I talked to him and told him what was going on, he told me he was coming and that was all I needed to put me at ease. Justin called Linds and asked if he could get advice on his career. Linds was over the moon, Justin in a less than a year, was doing well with his art. She still felt that he should have stayed in New York.

 

Linds and I went to the airport, because I insisted on going. I remember that I just needed him to tell me that he would handle everything. I was having a lot of problems with insecurity. When he walked into the waiting area, he didn’t greet Linds, he walked over to me. It embarrasses me now, but then I just needed a ‘safe person’. Justin picked me up and I grabbed on, I might have cried a little.

Justin being Justin, didn’t make a big issue of it. He kept a hold of me and greeted Linds. Linds wanted to know everything that was going on in Justin’s career. Justin told her he was going to have a solo show in New York and wanted her to come and help. The only thing I could hear in the conversation was that I could be close to my dad and Justin.

 

Justin and my dad stayed together through the New York separation. Justin told me later on that they had finally reached a place where not being a couple was unacceptable. Dad was with Justin from Friday until Monday morning every week. He didn’t let work get in the way. Every other weekend they came to see me.

 

When we were moving, Mel trying to keep it from everyone. She told dad that we were going places and wouldn’t be home. I told my dad about Florida. He talked to Linds, and said that as long as he got to see me it was fine. Mel told dad that she would tell Michael. She didn’t.

 

Justin told Linds and Mel later that night that since it was summer break, he wanted to take me and JR to Disney. Justin is their favorite, so they just go along with everything he asks. That night he and I camped out in my room. He told me that dad was going to be there too. I think at that moment I knew that Justin would always be there.

 

Uncle Michael is a good guy, but he tends to lose it when people don’t do what he wants. When he would visit, he was there for JR, not me. He still included me but mostly he wanted to see his daughter. My dad is like that too. He includes JR but it’s me he wants to see. Justin is there both of us.

 

We had a blast at Disney and at Sea World. Justin told me that for the next week we were going to have fun, no adult stuff. My dad rolled his eyes at that. JR and I still use that trip as a way to escape when the moms start fighting. Justin made a scrapbook of the trip and under each picture JR and I had to write what we did in the picture and what made it fun. We just go to my room and look at the book when they fight.

 

Back to now

 

Now, about the reason we are at the police station. It all started last night at dinner. Linds mentions that she wanted to attend an art class two night a week. Mel at first didn’t seem to care. Linds told her that all the teachers were attending and that after the class they were going to hang out. Mel said that she didn’t see the harm in the class, but why did she need to hang out with a bunch of single women. Linds told her that it wasn’t about being single, it was about having adult time.

 

JR and I got up and left the room.

 

The fight went on and on. I don’t know what made me call Justin, I think because this one was the loudest they ever got. Justin and Dad were at dinner at Deb’s. Justin asked me to wait and I could hear him tell everyone it was his agent calling. When he got back on I told him to listen and took the phone into the hall so he could hear Mel and Linds scream at each other.

 

I walked back into my room, I told Justin I needed him. Just like that, no excuses, he tells me he will be there as soon as he can get a flight. I asked him not to bring Dad. I know Justin is going to tell Dad, but it will cause more problems with Mel.

 

The fight got worse, things were being thrown and the noise was getting louder. The neighbors called the police. When the police arrived they were still yelling, Mel told the police that they didn’t need anything, that everything was fine and shut the door. But Linds and Mel were still fighting, so the police came back and tried to intercede. Both women ended up in jail because as soon as the cops left the first time they went at it again. This time the cop thought it would be better for them to cool off in a cell. I called Justin again and told him we were going to jail.

Since JR and I are only 9 and 13, child services was called. I told the lady that my dad was coming. Justin is pretty much my dad too. She went to talk to the moms. Mel and Linds agreed to let Justin take us when he got here and the child services lady agreed to wait so she could get his information.

 

In case you’re wondering why I call them Mel and Linds, I decided that until they grow up and act like mothers they don’t get to be called mama and mom.

 

Justin’s POV

 

I was sitting at Deb’s table eating with the gang. Michael and I were about to release a new comic. Rage is great, but we wanted one for younger teens who want more comics. Michael and I get along well, we only have one agreement. Brian doesn’t get put in the middle of our friendship. We will never be best friends, but we don’t need each other for that.

 

My phone rang, I saw it was Gus. Excusing myself from the table, I answer the phone. I keep walking till I got outside. Gus sounded upset.

 

“Justin, it’s bad tonight, listen.” I listen and I hear the girls yelling.

 

“Justin can you come? JR and I are scared, but don’t tell Dad.” Gus asks me.

 

“Gus, stay in your room with JR. I’m going to get a flight and be there as soon as I can.” I hang up and tell everyone my agent needs me to send some information to her right away. Brian and I are soon in the car and I tell him instead of the house, to go to the loft. We converted the loft into a studio and apartment. It was for when I need to meet with people, so they could see my stuff in the city.

 

On the way, I tell him about the call. He wants to go with me. We talked about it and decided that he could, if he promised not to make it worse. While I was packing our bags, Gus called again to tell me the girls were being arrested. Lovely.

 

Brian called Cynthia to find out what was going on down there. I looked at him and decided we were going to have to tell Michael. The police informed Cynthia, that with the children being minors that they had to call Child Services since there were no other relatives around.

Brian called Ben and asked that he and Michael come over. Ben is calmer than Michael. Brian booked them on the flight, Michael would be needed for JR. The best way to describe Michael’s reaction to the news, well it was comparable to the atom bomb being dropped on Hiroshima. Ben held him and told him to calm down.

 

I love the girls, but this is one time that they need to stop acting like the children don’t exist. Mel and Lindsay don’t use the children in their fights. In fact, if you asked any of us, they love their children. The problem is, they start fighting and nothing matters to them but being right. If JR and Gus didn’t exist then they could be as selfish as they want, but they do exist and the girls need to remember that.

I can see Brian is ready to commit mass homicide, I walk over to him and he just holds on to me. He and I talked about this once, and he said that he just needs quiet, to not to discuss it. I told him that I need to be able to help, this is our compromise.

 

Brian looks at Michael, and before Michael can say anything, Brian tells him,

 

“We need to get to the kids and make sure they are alright. The rest can wait.”

 

“I know you’re mad Michael, but another thing, the kids are upset and do not need you going to jail with the girls. When we get there we get the kids and make sure they know we will help. You do not need to voice an opinion about anything that doesn’t reassure them.” Ben tells him. Michael nods and we head to the airport.

 

Brian’s POV

 

If the girls weren’t good parents to Gus and JR, I would have gotten with Michael and taken the kids. I might not be legally Gus’s parent, but I made sure that I could be if it ever got bad for Gus.

Justin gets along with everyone, and Gus is the closest thing he has to a child. When Justin left to go to New York, we both knew that if we didn’t work at a relationship, it would be over. Instead of acting like a child and pushing him away, I grew up. I rented a place in New York for us. On Fridays, I left the Pitts and went to New York. Justin and I had a weekend relationship, but it worked. Michael got clingy for a while until Justin called him and told him that he wanted to do a new comic. Then Michael was visiting Justin on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. It’s a wonder that Justin ever got any painting done.

 

Justin also made me see that Gus needed to see me, so we started to visit every other weekend. Justin wanted to get a job, but I convinced him to just do freelance work for me. He worried about me paying for everything, I told him that when he was rich and famous he could take over. We worked it out.

 

Now I am on a plane to get to Gus. I worry about both children, but JR is Michael’s and he is a good father to her. Michael knows that I care about JR and will do anything for her, but Gus is mine. Ben and Justin even it out. They love the kids equally. It works for us four.

 

I called Cynthia, she tells me that Mel and Linds told the child services lady that Justin has their permission to take the kids. They didn’t know about Michael and I being here. The four of us walk into the police station and request to see the kids.

 

When we walk into the room the Child Service advocate introduces herself as Kelly and tells us she needs to fill out information on Justin, so he can take custody until the girls were deemed able. That was a surprise we were not told about. Apparently ‘Mikey Jr’, Jenny, went on about how this is what the house is always like. Jenny is apparently mad at her moms and wants to punish them.

Justin smiles at her and goes to the kids. Gus is as tall as Justin, but Jenny is still tiny.  He hugs them both and tells them to sit still until they could leave. Michael and I go to the kids and check on them too.

 

Kelly explains about the police being called twice and the condition of the house. Social services didn’t feel the children should be in that environment. The girls will be required to go to counseling and prove that they can handle their anger better.

 

Michael pulls out his custody agreement and she tells him that he can take JR, but Mel and Linds have to agree for him to leave Florida with her. Justin fills out the paperwork and so do I. Justin asks if she and Justin can go talk to the girls together.

 

After they leave the room, Michael looks like he is about to explode. Ben stops him.

 

“Michael not now, JR and Gus need us.” Michael nods and grabs JR.

 

“Dad, I want to live with you and Ben.” JR tells Michael.

 

“Honey, let’s get through this and we’ll see, okay?” Michael is really calm.

 

Justin returns with Kelly, she told us we could go to the hotel and she would come with the paperwork. He tells us to wait outsides while he frees the girls. Free to go, we leave to go to the hotel. Justin suggests that we feed the kids and go swimming in the pool, before we do anything else.

 

While the kids are swimming with Ben, Justin tells Michael and me that he got the girls to agree to the kids being with us for the summer. He paid the girls bail and they are going home. They told the social worker they would have the house cleaned and get the kid’s stuff together for us. The girls agreed that it was best for them to try to work out their problems without the kids being home.


I am impressed, they actually took the kids into account. Michael is happy, for now. Justin then tells me that Mel told the social worker that she wanted Justin to be in charge of the decisions for Gus. I can tell Justin didn’t want to tell me that.

Chapter End Notes:

This is not going to be a suing for custody although Brian is going to work to get rights. I also felt like I pick so bad on Michael in my first story that maybe this time I'll be nicer. It also isn't going to be a Mel and Lindsay bashing. Just a singe around the edges.

Let me know what you think