- Text Size +

 

 

MEL’S POV

 

After the session we both walked out feeling better. It wasn’t just the questions. I think it was also the fact that we talked. I know we aren’t there yet, but my thought of did we still want to be together, is yes we do. When Lindsay asked me if it was a woman, would what happened have been any better. I realized no it wouldn’t.

 

She surprised me when she didn’t make excuses for the cheating. I have been using Brian as an excuse for my cheating. I need to put the blame where it belongs. So tonight my questions are simple.

 

Where would be a good place to live?

 

Can we talk before you talk to Brian?

 

What can I do to help you grow as an artist?

 

LINDSAY’S POV

 

It was different today when we left the therapist. I now see that avoiding things really hurt the relationship. I married her knowing that she is an in charge person. I liked that, it took things out of my hands. I should have talked to her about the money but I was concerned about the kids. I think that with, no, I know that with the help we are getting we can make it.

 

My questions for Mel are easy to write.

 

Where are we going to live?

 

If I talk to you will you listen and not judge me?

 

Can you talk to me before we get in an argument about what upset you?

 

GUS’S POV

 

My sister is such a dork. When she found out that she was going on this trip, she asked to sit with Justin. Dad told her to find her own boyfriend. She turned red and ran to Justin. I am actually kind of excited about seeing the moms. I just hope that when Justin brings up the custody thing that it won’t become a big thing.

 

JR told me about her dad forgetting her at Kinnetik. She thought it was funny. Ben, not so much. Michael is in the dog house right now. JR said that he actually has been really good about doing things with her for the last couple days. They went to park so she could sketch and play. He took her to see a movie she wanted to see. Maybe Justin is right, that Michael needs to learn in his own time.

 

Dad has been really busy. He said that because he has to attend a meeting after going to see moms, we have to go to Chicago for two days. JR is going with us. Justin told dad he would take us out so Dad could work. We have been looking at places to go. Justin and I decided on the Chicago Children’s Museum and the Shedd Aquarium. Dad was happy that he didn’t have to go.

 

BRIAN’S POV

 

Michael is acting like a dad. I guess forgetting your kid will do that to you. He hasn’t come by or called in two days. Ben is the one who dropped her off with me this morning. We are leaving at 11AM. She skipped off to see what Murph and the art department were doing. Justin is on his way with Gus. When we get there, the kids are going to their moms and Justin and I are going to have some us time. Saturday, it’s the beach for me and the kids. Justin wants to talk to them alone. When I bring the kids back, we are going to dinner. Saturday night till it’s time to leave late Sunday, the girls can keep the kids.

 

When Justin arrived I knew immediately. Theresa was talking to another employee then just turned and ran the other way. Justin hasn’t figured it out yet. We keep him in the dark because, to us it’s funny.

 

Cynthia told me she is an art fan, like huge and Justin is the first artist who has shows, that she has ever met in person.

 

Justin isn’t huge, but he is getting there. He has been offered more shows but he keeps the number of painting to 10 and they are selling in the thousands now. His agent told him he needs to produce, he told her he had a sugar daddy and that he doesn’t have to. After the shock wore off, he told her that he won’t paint something just so they have wall space covered. She tried to talk to me about it. I told her I was the sugar daddy and didn’t care. Justin actually has 40 paintings at the house finished, he told me that until he feels it’s time, he isn’t showing them.

 

I was worried that he wouldn’t have the time to get ready for his show, but he told me that he had enough paintings but when he need to paint he would. I left it alone after that.

 

We got on the plane. I let JR sit with Justin. It gave me time with Gus if he need to talk. I am glad he talks to Justin, but I want him to know he can talk to me.

 

JUSTIN’S POV

 

Mel and Lindsay were waiting for us and I can see they miss the kids. Brian was renting a car and I was talking to the girls.

 

“We could have taken you to your hotel.” Lindsay offered.

 

“Brian wanted a way for us to get around. We planned to leave the kids with you until Sunday night.” I can tell that made them happy.

 

“They are staying at the house?” Mel asks.

 

“We thought you guys could have time together without us in the way. If you need us to, we’ll take them with us.” I hope they were ready to have the kids.

 

“Thank you, I didn’t want to make an assumptions. I think we need to be able to be a family together.” Mel tells me smiling down at the kids.

 

“I need to talk to both of you tomorrow. JR and Gus are going to the beach with Brian so we can talk. Will that be okay?” I ask.

 

“That’s fine if you need to.” Mel tells me.

 

We leave, the kids with their moms, Brian with me. Brian and I have dinner and spend the rest of the night making up for not having much alone time lately.

 

Brian drops me off and picks up the kids at 10AM. I wasn’t look forward to this. Mel was either going get defensive, or she was going to listen, I wasn’t sure which it would be.

 

MEL’S POV

 

I’m kind of nervous about this. Justin would usually get whatever he needs to say out of the way. When he first came in, it was small talk and I want to just shake it out of him.

 

“Let me get this out and then you guys can ask away. Brian wants you to give him partial custody. Nothing is going to change, it’s just so that if anything happens, we don’t have to go through a lot a red tape to get Gus. He is also going to give you child support, set in stone on paper. I asked to tell you so that we could talk about it, not fight.” Justin stops and waits for us to talk

 

I am going to be honest, the minute I realized what the asshole wanted I was ready to tear his balls off. I wasn’t going to listen anymore. I stopped and decided to ask questions, then if I didn’t like the answers, I’m going to tear Brian’s balls off.

 

“What exactly does he want when you say ‘partial custody’.” I know I sound tense.

 

“He wants exactly what you guys already do. School breaks and some holidays. The lawyer wants the child support on paper. It also means that he is legally allowed the rights of a parent. You are still his mother and have your rights. It’s because of situations like this. Child Services could have said no and put Gus in foster care. Michael’s paper work gave him JR, no hassle. We had to go through background checks. You don’t have to make a decision today but we need you to let him know by tomorrow.” Justin stops and watches me.

 

I look at Lindsay and tell Justin that we need to talk in private. We go to the bedroom.

 

“Look I want to say no, just on principle, but I know that what he is asking isn’t anything new for us. I mean he gets those times already and Justin is right, they could have taken Gus to foster care. Tell me what you honestly think.” I ask Lindsay.

 

LINDSAY’S POV

 

“I don’t think it’s that big of a deal. I mean Brian should have the same rights as Michael. Brian pays for Gus. Michael doesn’t pay anything towards JR. Normally, Brian pays for the flight to Pittsburgh and we pay for the flight back. I want to make sure that Gus goes to someone who loves him if something were to happen.” I stop to see how she’s taking it.

 

“I know you’re right, and I know he loves Gus. I can’t sit here and say we are the better parents. It just feels like he wins.” Mel tells me.

 

“Tell me what he wins, other than the right to be as much of a parent as Michael?” I ask her.

 

“We’ll do it. Give Gus the same as JR. I agree that is the right thing. Lindsay, if he gives me a hard time about this, you need to help me, not him.” Mel tells me.

 

I know that she needs to see that I have her back on this, and I will. When I heard Brian was coming my first thought was, good I need someone to talk to. After our session I realized that I need to talk to Mel. Brian and I need to become the kind of friends who talk about fun stuff and our past. Mel needs to be the person I talk to about my feelings and wants.

 

We walk back out to talk to Justin. When Mel said she and I agreed to it. He hugged us both. We went to dinner at this really great seafood restaurant in town, Mel and Justin got drunk on margaritas. Those two drunk are funny they lose track of what they are talking about and then think everything is funny. JR and Gus thought that they were nuts.

 

BRIAN’S POV

 

When Justin told me they agreed, I asked if he slipped Mel anything first. Mel looked at me, and with a straight face, said yes Justin slipped her something big. Well okay then. Then she explained that she wanted Gus to have the same as JR. I told her to expect the papers next week sometime. I was waiting all night for Mel to act like Mel, it never happened.

 

Lindsay and I put the kids to bed and the drunks on the couch. We walked outside and sat on the steps together. Lindsay told me that the therapy is helping and the parenting class is an eye opener, and that they plan to do everything they can to complete it in the next six weeks. It was different she usually tells me everything wrong in her world. Instead I get what she has been doing. It’s nice.

 

Then she drops a bomb, but a good one. Her and Mel want to move back close to Pittsburgh. Mel want to be somewhere not as close to everyone but near enough that it wouldn’t take more than an hour or two to see everyone. I need to talk to Justin. I told her to let me know when she was ready and we would help.

 

I think that night was the first night I actually breathed easily, Gus was going to get everything he wants. I can’t talk to the wino next to me in bed right now. He would probably move them into the house so Mel and I could burn it down to kill each other. I have an idea for them.

 

When we get up I tell Justin that they want to move back and he was thrilled about it. We decided to wait until the girls were ready to tell the kids. I told him they wanted to be far enough away that the family couldn’t just show up on a whim. The house has 6 acres of land and a caretaker’s house. It has four bedrooms and 2 baths. It’s also on the other side of the tennis courts. We never really bother with it. It was just part of the property. I figure when they are ready we’ll talk about it. It far enough away that you can’t just show up. No one shows unless they call. That is my rule.

 

Justin said that we should at least mention it. It’s not like they have to take it but it would be a good place until they decide where to go. Instead of telling Lindsay, I pull Mel aside and tell her. She said that she and Lindsay would talk about it and let me know.

 

I put my hand on her head and ask if she feels okay. She pulled my hand off and called me an asshole. It wasn’t the usual way she does it. What the hell? I’m not going to complain.