- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

I tried really hard to be nice but well Mikey was screaming in my head.

MEL’S POV

 

It’s been a strange weekend. I’m so use to Brian and I sniping at each other, instead it was just a fun weekend. Sunday morning was the kids and Lindsay, we had breakfast and the kids were telling us the stuff going on in Pittsburgh.

 

JR told us about how at first, she and Michael seem to be having problems and then when he left her at Kinnetik he started spending some time with her. I was worried about Michael. He doesn’t do well thinking about other people. JR told us about Justin at the art exhibit and how people act like he’s famous. I guess we never really talked to her about Justin, beyond that he is a friend. JR wanted to go play with her toys for a while. I think Gus asked her to do that so he could talk to us.

When Gus told us what he told his dad and Justin, Lindsay and I were in tears. Did we really put this much on his shoulders? He told us what his dad told him and we told him that his dad was right we are adults and not children. It’s our responsibility to act like adults and handle our problems without making him feel like he did anything wrong. He looked at both of us and said “Welcome back Mama and Mommy.”

 

GUS’ POV

 

Justin told me that I needed to tell the moms how I felt. That half the problem is that we aren’t honest with each other. It was hard because it hurt their feelings, but Mama said Dad was right. I almost asked her to repeat it so I could record it for Dad.

 

After that, the moms said no more sad things, and that we were going to have fun day. We went out to the beach and just did what normal families do. I was glad that I came. I miss them and want to be able to have good memories of us, like Justin does for JR and I.

 

When it was time to go, we all went to the airport and the moms hugged and hugged us. They promised to call once a day and that at the end of the summer, be ready for us.

 

LINDSAY’S POV

 

I am going to miss my babies, but I know Mel and I need to be ready for them. We drove back to the house giggling. Mel told me that Brian and she talked about the carriage house on his property and that we could move in there if we wanted to. He also offered to sell it to us if we decided that we wanted to live there.

 

I asked her how she really felt about that. She told me that it would make getting a job easier, it’s only a 30 or 40 minute drive to Pittsburgh and the house is actually far enough away from Britin that we have our own place.

 

I want to know if she can handle having Brian as our neighbor. Mel said that someone would be our neighbor, and Brian would probably want to see us as much as we want to see him. It would also be good for Gus. He would get to see Justin and Brian as much as he needed.

 

It’s funny we love the kids equally, but Mel is worried more for Gus. I wonder sometimes how our biological children are more like the non-biological parent. JR is all art and Gus is business. I guess we never gave them the impression that they had to take after us. We have been doing something right.

 

I am actually looking forward to making progress so we can be a family again.

 

BRIAN’S POV

 

The three children are excited to go to Chicago. Justin has all these plans for museums and aquariums. JR and Gus actually excused me from going, their reasoning, ‘Justin does the fun stuff’. Works for me.

 

I got through with Leo on Tuesday afternoon and was going to relax at the hotel. We were leaving in the morning. Michael started calling. I waited till I was in the room to call back.

 

“Where is my kid, I let you take her to the girls. I thought you would only be there for the weekend.” I guess he didn’t talk to Ben.

 

“Yes, but like I told your husband, I had a business trip. We are in Chicago and are coming back tomorrow. Justin took the kids to a museum and aquarium for the two days we’re here. I didn’t see the point in dropping off JR, when it’s something she would enjoy doing.” I tell him.

 

“Great, now something else I have to compete with. I don’t have all the money in the world to take her to do these things. Justin just happily spends your money and looks like the good guy. I look like an ass that doesn’t do anything for her. Why couldn’t you have just let her come home?” Michael is feeling neglected.

 

Michael was still going on. I pulled the phone from my ear and looked down at it. Fuck it. I hung up. I wanted to turn it off but Justin might call. It rang five more times in a row. When Justin and the kids came in, I called Cynthia and told her to send any emergency calls to Justin’s phone. I also made sure to tell her that Michael wasn’t an emergency.

 

We had dinner while the kids competed for attention. I called Ben and told him to talk to Michael.

 

MICHAEL’S POV

 

It took me days to get out of the dog house with Ben. JR just had to tell Ben that I left her at Kinnetik. I tried to explain that I had a lot on my mind and that I forgot. Ben didn’t care, I needed to think about my kid, not about Brian not letting me have my way.

 

I know that, but I didn’t think they were going to take her all over the place. I have made a point of spending time with JR and doing what she wanted. I was bored, but I did it. Justin is made out to be the good guy taking them to major things I can’t afford. I wasn’t told that they were going to keep her all week. I thought about telling Brian it was kidnapping when you take a kid and don’t let the parent know. He hung up before and won’t answer.

 

Ben came home and told me that he knew about it and thought it would be nice for JR. I told him how we were going to seem so boring in comparison. I don’t think he understands how hard this is for me. I was still made me mad that Brian isn’t listening to me.

 

I walked out of the house and went to Ma, she and Carl were watching TV.

 

“Hey Michael. What are you doing here tonight?” Ma asks.

 

I told her that JR was still with Brian and Justin and that no one told me. I told her that I thought that Justin spoiling JR it was going to cause problems when she had to spend time in the real world. Carl looked at me and shook his head. I asked what he wanted to say.

 

“Michael, JR is on vacation, if someone wants to take her to do fun things, you let them. You can explain to her that you might not go to museums and aquariums, but things like biking, parks and movie nights can be fun. All you have to do is include a kid and they have fun.” Carl tells me.

 

“I was mad because they didn’t tell me that they were keeping JR till tomorrow. I might have had plans.” I need them to see my side of this.

 

“Michael even I knew JR was going with them to Chicago. Ben and JR told me. Did you have plans?” Ma says waiting for me to answer.

 

I got up and left they act like I’m being unreasonable. Why can’t Brian understand that he could have invited me to go to Chicago to help out.

 

JR’S POV

 

It was neat, I got to touch a turtle and see dolphins and sharks. Gus loved the Children’s Museum, you got to do hands on stuff. I can’t wait to tell Dad and Ben. I sketch some of the animals. I asked Gus is this what summer is like for him. He said no they usually just do normal things, like swimming and going to the park. Gus thinks that Justin and Dad thought we need to do things to take our minds off the moms.

I wanted to make a new scrapbook, so I could show Dad and Granny Deb. Justin took me to a hobby store to get the supplies and went to get the pictures we took printed out. He asked if I wanted help but I want to try on my own. Gus is too old for it according to him but when I got started he helped.

 

Tomorrow we go back to Pittsburgh, I can’t wait. I have so much to tell everyone.

 

BEN’S POV

 

Michael came home after I assume talking to anyone he thought would listen. He asked me why I didn’t tell him that JR was going to go to Chicago. I asked if he had listened when JR and I talked at the dinner table about her going. He was there.

 

I love Michael, but he needs to stop trying to make this into a competition of ‘Who is the best father’. He looked at me then said he thought it was just Brian and Justin going. I told him no when JR told him she said that she couldn’t wait to go to the aquarium.

 

“I guess I wasn’t listening.” Michael shrugs and walks to the bedroom.

 

I talked to Brian and he said tell Michael to get it under control. JR had fun and is going to want to share it with Michael. Michael is still upset about not being invited to go with Brian to the girls. I know this has been hard on all of us but it’s only the first week. What is he going to do for the next two months?

 

JR is going to want to spend time with Justin and Gus, she loves them and they love her. I won’t let Michael make her feel bad about it. I’m going to suggest Gus spend next weekend with us. Let Michael and I  do things with the kids. Michael might feel better about it.

 

“Michael, how about we invite Gus to stay with us next weekend. We can take them camping and hiking?” I ask him.

 

He sits on the bed, arms folded across his chest. “Sure, then you know what, Justin will take them to Atlantis.”

 

“You know what, I’m going to take them camping, if you want to stay at home and be pissed because Justin loves your kid, you do that.” I am tired of him acting like this.

 

When the kids left Michael was actually happy and we were back to my Michael. We went out with the guys and generally had a good time. It wasn’t till Monday night when JR was still gone this started up again. JR loves her dad, she understands that Michael doesn’t know what to do with a little girl. She didn’t care that Deb or Justin entertained her, as long as Michael loves her.

 

JUSTIN’S POV

Ben meet us at the airport to get JR. He asked if Gus wanted to go camping next weekend and if it was okay with us. We let Gus decide. I told Ben just let me know what they needed. He said this is on him, to thank us for taking JR.

 

I dropped Brian off at his office and Gus and I headed home. Daphne was coming over, she didn’t make the barbeque because she had a date. Gus was thrilled, he has a crush on her. Brian told me this was going to be a late night. He and Ted were going to Woody’s and then Babylon. He wanted me to go but I told him that Daphne was coming over and we wanted to hang out.

 

Ted wants to hire a couple extra managers because neither of us goes there a lot. Brian said at first the idea of owning the club was fun. After the bombing he saw it as a business and that meant being serious about it. Ted wants to have time to date. I think that he should call Blake. He told me that there was too much history. They tried again while I was in New York and just couldn’t seem to make it. I think Ted is too much in his head. Blake is only a few years older than I am. Ted is always worried that Blake will leave him for someone younger and exciting. I told Ted Blake was done with that. He was ready for home and hearth. Hopefully Ted will get a clue.

 

Gus was doing flips and dives in the pool to show off for Daphne. Then he asked her to wait for him and he would marry her. Daphne told him that when he turned 21 to call her, she would drop whoever she was with for him. I think she created a monster.