- Text Size +

LINDSAY’S POV

 

I am meeting Mel at her office. Brian’s lawyer sent the custody paper and we were going to read and sign it and send it back. Mel had read through it and starts crossing out sections. I waited so

I could find out why.

 

“Is there something they didn’t mention?” I ask her.

 

“No, the child support is huge, $5000.00 a month. With Brian’s income it’s normal. I want it stated that both Brian and Justin have custody. Not because I don’t trust Brian, but because Justin is as much a parent to Gus.” Mel tells me.

 

I was surprised at the amount. If we didn’t want to work, we didn’t have too. I like that she is including Justin.

 

“He put in the paperwork that if something happened that we all agree to give Gus to Justin. I think it should just be in the paperwork that Justin get custody too. Is that okay with you?” Mel asks me.

 

I nod and it feels good we are actually making the decisions together on this. Mel then asks if I want to work when we move. I thought about it.

 

“I do, just so that I have something more than making a home. I can tell Sydney that I only want to work part-time. I’ll try to keep it to when the kids are in school. The only time I will be required to be at the gallery would be if there’s a party at night and we could do date nights for that.” I tell her.

We agree that that would work. Signing everything, she calls to tell them she is faxing it back and will put the originals in the mail. I think she wants Brian to see that she’s serious. We have class tonight and we are going to dinner first. We have been doing really well.

 

BRIAN’S POV

 

I was watching Gus and JR swimming and Justin was working on the painting to finish it. He was going to come home when he was done. JR walks over and sits next to me.

 

“Do you know where my Dad went?” Why me?

 

“No, but hopefully Ben will know soon. He was going to meet us at the loft but he is coming here in a little while.” If it was Gus, I would tell him.

 

My phone rings and it’s my attorney. I answered and ask him to hold. Someone was at the front door. JR and I go to answer it. Ben is here. I tell Ben I need a minute and could he watch the kids. I walk to my office and talk to Gabe.

“Hey Gabe, everything good? The girls seemed like they were okay with everything.” I hope they just signed.

 

“It’s good, they did amend a few things. Instead of Justin being the person who Gus goes to, they want Justin to just have shared custody too. Other than that it’s everything you asked for. I need to know that you agree and I need you and Justin to sign it.” He tells me.

 

I told him we would be there in the morning. I just sit there, I wanted to put Justin in there but thought they might not agree to that. I need to call Justin.

 

“I am on my way. I just finished do you want me to pick up something?” Justin ever the WASP.

 

“Nope, did you take a picture of it.” I ask.

 

“Yes and I want to send a copy to Lindsay.” Justin always sends Lindsay copies of everything.

 

“I just got off the phone with Gabe. He has the paperwork back. Mel and Lindsay want you to have custody too.” I wait to see how Justin responds to this.

 

“Really! I mean like parental rights, or just that I can do things?” Justin ask.

 

“Congrats, you have a ‘13 year old’ son.” I tell him.

 

Justin hangs up on me. Guess he either excited or wondering how he is a father at 30. I can tell he’s thrilled and I want to talk to Gus before Justin gets home. I give Ben some menus and tell him and JR to order for five people. I ask Gus to come with me to my office.

 

I can tell Gus is nervous, so I tell him about the papers being signed and that Justin is considered his father now. He sits quietly for a minute.

 

“Can I call him Dad or something?” Gus asks me.

 

“Do you want to? I think you should go with Pop or Papa so we don’t get confused, but it’s up to you.” I want this to be Gus’s decision. Justin would be fine with Justin.

 

“I’ll call him Papa. Can I call Mom and Mama?” Gus asks.

 

I tell him I am going to go and he can talk to them. It’s weird, I think this is the best thing the girls have done for all three of us. I think Justin and I need to talk about Legal Domestic Partnership. I left it alone because we’ve combined everything, we just didn’t go that far yet. Justin doesn’t think it’s a big deal. I think it’s time.

 

GUS’ POV

Dad wanted to talk in his office and that made me nervous. We usually just talk where we are. I waited and he told me that Mama and Mom made it so Justin will be my Dad too. I want to call Justin by a name that symbolizes it. Papa has a great ring to it.

 

I dial Mom’s phone and wait.

 

“Hey Mom, can you put me on speaker phone.” I ask her.

 

“One minute,  okay we’re both on.” Mom tells me.

 

“I love you both, thank you for making Justin my Papa. I miss you.” I am kind of crying.

 

“Oh sweetheart, we wanted you to be happy and Justin is there for you. I guess you and Dad liked our surprise.” Mom and Mama are laughing.

 

“I think you just made Dad really happy, I haven’t talk to Justin, I mean Papa yet.” This is so cool.

 

“Trust me he will love it. He loves you.” Mama tells me.

 

I tell them good-bye and go to see what everyone else is doing. I was about to walk into the kitchen, when Justin came in. I decided to try the new name.

 

“Hi Papa.” I run to him and he is holding me.

 

“I love you Sonny Boy.” Justin says.

 

JR’S POV

 

We were in the kitchen and Brian is getting some Champagne and sparkling grape juice out. I wondered why. Ben shakes his head too. We hear the front door open and Gus calls Justin Papa. Ben and I are confused.

 

Brian tells us that Mama and Mommy signed papers making Justin and Brian Gus’ legal parents too. I’m a little jealous. I mean Ben is my parent too, but I just call him Ben. I don’t think anybody ever thought about it either.

 

“Are you my Papa?” I ask him.

 

“I’m whoever you need me to be Sweetheart.” Ben tells me.

 

I decide that I want him to be my Papa. He is there for me like Justin is for Gus.

 

BRIAN’S POV

I know that it is time to legalize things after seeing the two in the hall. I pour everyone a glass and make a toast.

 

“To Papa and his son. Justin, I want to make another proposal. Will you join me in Legal Domestic Partnership?” I look at him.

 

JUSTIN’S POV

 

When Brian told me that I am now Gus’s parent I almost ran off the road. I was fine being Justin, the best friend. I think I hung up on him. I’m still about 15 minutes out and I can’t believe I’m actually shaking. I pull over and decide I need to call someone.

 

“Mom, I need to tell you something. You’re a grandmother to a 13 year old boy.” I tell her.

 

“Justin, I have always thought of Gus as my grandchild.” Mom tells me.

 

“Now he is, legally.” I am smiling.

 

“What? When? Really?” Mom is laughing.

 

“Mel and Lindsay put it in Brian’s custody paperwork.” I tell her.

 

“Congrats Justin, you’re a father.” Mom sound happy.

 

We hang up and I drive home. Gus greeting me by calling me Papa is probably one of the biggest moments of my life. Then Brian has to go and top it. I couldn’t answer out loud so I nodded my head. He asks if I want to do the ceremony. I thought about it, but I think I just want him, Gus, Mom, Molly and I there when we sign the papers but we can have a party after. I tell him that and Brian said that would work for him to.

 

We ask Ben and JR to not tell anyone. They agree. While we wait for dinner, Ben and Brian go outside and talk. Gus and JR are watching TV and I am just happy.

 

MEL’s POV

 

We were on our way to parenting classes when Gus called and I we were practically drunk on the love our son poured out at us. I knew that it would please Brian and Justin. Gus was a bonus to our already good day. Class was easy we told everyone about our progress and that we have already seen the results when the kids were here.

 

Lindsay and I decide that we wanted to go to and have coffee and just hang out for a while. We were childless and we want to enjoy the time. We have been trying to do things that we haven’t done. It was fun and it reminded us of why we love each other.

It was getting late and we have to work in the morning. We headed home. I was talking to Lindsay about this weekend, suggesting that we should fly to see the kids. Brian offered us open end tickets so we could come if we want. Lindsay said that she wanted to go so we could see the carriage house and talk to Justin and Brian about buying it.

 

I look in the driveway and see what I think is Deb’s car. We drove by and parked up the road. I called Brian.

 

“Hey Smelly Melly what’s up?” Brian is joking around.

 

“Brian, why is Deb at my house?” I ask him.

 

“Deb’s car is there?” He asks.

 

“Yes, is there a reason it’s here?” Lindsay and I look back at the car.

 

“Michael has been missing since last night, so it’s not Deb it’s Michael.” He tells me.

 

“Why is he here?” I ask Brian.

 

Ben takes the phone and tells us about JR and Michael and the dinner. He says that he has no clue what is going on in Michael’s mind. Brian tells Ben that he can get him tickets to fly down there if Ben wants to. Ben asks if it’s okay with us. I tell him yes.

 

Brian gets on and tells me to go to a hotel tonight and he will book the room. This is really getting strange. Brian says that Michael is either there for sympathy or to cause problems. We agree to go to the hotel. Ben is going to come here and greet Michael.

 

We hang up and drive to the hotel that Brian told us to go to. We get to the desk and the clerk is on the phone with Brian. She gets us registered. We take the key and go to the room. I ask Lindsay what she thinks. She tells me that we need to go get some clothes in the morning so we can go to work. Ben sent the flight information to my phone he is going to be here at 5 am.

 

We’ll worry about clothes in the morning.

 

MICHAEL’S POV

 

I have been here all day. I went to get some food and wonder if I missed them. I rolled down the windows and fell asleep. When I woke up it was 10pm and they still aren’t home. I figured I’d just go back to sleep and wait, they can wake me up. I came so I could tell them about Justin making it harder for me. JR is getting spoiled and no one is listening anymore. Mel and Lindsay owe it to me to talk to him and Brian about this.

I also think that I need to tell them what I think of everything. Everyone is acting like we should let them get away with it. I am going to make sure they know better. I go back to sleep. I feel someone touching my arm and look up to see Ben.