- Text Size +

JUSTIN’S POV

 

I really want to offer to go instead of Ben. Michael needs someone to let him get it out. I would go but you know what, I want to be with my son. Can you believe that? Brian also mentions that we have to sign some paperwork and he wants to get everything in order for the Domestic Partnership agreement.

 

Brian arranged for the girls to stay at a hotel and a flight for Ben. In the morning, Deb is going to take JR. I was going to offer to keep JR but Brian vetoed that too. He said that we have a lot to do. He wants to tell my mom about the Domestic Partnership so that she can feel a part of it. I think he just wants her on his side.

 

Gus was all kinds of happy about it. I told Brian I would take Ben to the airport. He and the kids could eat and relax. In the car Ben tells me that he is really pissed at Michael. I know Ben is his husband, but he needs to make sure that he stops trying to tell Michael that he is screwing up.

 

I decided to put in my two cents worth. I tell him that we all know Michael has a hard time when change happens around him, and I have probably made Michael feel like he’s disappointing JR. I told him that being the youngest in the group, everyone always wants to tell me how to do everything. I want to be an artist, go to New York. I love Brian, don’t depend on him he’ll disappoint me. I want to go to PIFA, artist don’t make money. It’s like I wasn’t capable of making any decision.

 

Ben tells me that it’s hard sometimes to not lecture Michael. I asked why lecture, he’s a teacher, teach Michael. Michael loves his daughter. He never had to do more than two weeks. Two weeks is a short amount of time and JR was younger, all she wanted was Daddy to play. Michael was given a little girl this time, after a traumatic event. He is shaken up as well. Ben stays quiet until we park and walk into the airport.

 

We wait together for his flight to be called. He told me that when he gets there he is going to take Michael to a hotel and let Michael get out what he needs to, then they will try to talk to the girls. They also have a long drive back. I hope it works for them. We hug and he gets on the plane.

 

Time for me to go to my son. I love saying that. My SON.

 

BEN’S POV

 

When I found out that Michael drove all the way down to Florida, I was not feeling very Zen anymore. Why can’t he act like an adult? Listening to Justin, I wonder how I would feel if everyone was coming down on me. I need to work on not treating Michael like a student. Michael needs to work on handling his insecurities better.

 

I want to get him to see that running away instead of talking isn’t the answer. What was he planning, to go off on Mel and Lindsay? Michael is a very short term thinker. I am going to let him talk and try to see if I can help him. I just don’t know how at this point.

 

BRIAN’S POV

 

We get up and get ready, I told Gabe we would be in first thing to sign everything so he can file the paperwork. When we get there I ask Gabe about Legal Domestic Partnerships. He told me that he can get the paperwork started but he needed our information. I guess Ted gets to know. I hand him Ted’s card and tell Ted what he needs and Ted or Cynthia can get it.

 

I call Ted and tell him what ever Gabe needs to give it to him and not to ask questions. I invite him and Cynthia to come to lunch with us. We go to see Jen at her office. She is all over Gus and Justin. Gus tells her she’s always been Grandma Jen so it’s just legal. Jen smiles and tells him it didn’t matter, she loved him anyway she got him.

 

I tell her we want to take her to lunch. She said she could. I look at Justin. He tells her about the us deciding to go ahead with the Legal Domestic Partnership. I tell her that I didn’t want to be accused of keeping her from it. Jen smiles and tells me that I better invite my mother or we will all be in trouble. I sat there for a minute then I realize she meant Deb. I figure we can clue Deb in later after Ben and Michael get back.

 

Justin and she discuss the party. Gus said that he wanted a cake. I tell them to call Emmett, oh hell, we might as well just tell everyone at this point. We are going to have the paperwork in a few days and then it still has to be filed. Jen tells me that we should plan a party for next weekend and that she and Emmett will handle it. She looks at Gus and asks if he wants to spend that weekend with her and Tucker. Gus tells her that he that would be supercool.

 

We get to lunch and I tell Ted and Cynthia. I look at Ted and say that if he says anything to anyone, I make it so that crystal wasn’t his worst experience. Ted rolls his eyes. Apparently when Gabe called and asked for the information Ted read between the lines. They congratulate us.

 

MICHAEL’S POV

 

Ben gets in the car and tells me to drive to a hotel. I was going to say no, but I need a shower. After getting in and showering Ben tells me that he wants to know why I drove here.

 

“I was mad. Everyone thinks that I can’t do anything right and then every time I turn around Justin is the perfect dad. He doesn’t even have a kid. You’re pissed, Brian is ignoring me, and everyone is protecting the girls. I don’t even know why I’m here anymore.” I just deflate because what the hell was I doing.

 

“Michael, we need to take a step back. What do you need me to do?” Ben asks me.

 

“I don’t know. Can we talk to the girls and see what is going on? I know I was kidding myself with the full custody thing, but I’m still mad about not being told they were moving here. They tell Brian and then forget I should have been told.” I tell Ben.

 

“You're right, that should have been done before they decided to move. Michael, I left a very confused little girl in Pittsburgh. She doesn’t understand why you left.” God I feel like a complete asshole. Ben is right, why did I drive here and leave her alone again.

 

Ben tells me he is going to sleep and I lay with him. I need to go home. Ma is going to kill me. I also need to tell JR I didn’t mean to leave her behind like that. I know I have issues when it comes to Justin. I wouldn’t have wanted to live through the shit he had to. I wouldn’t have minded having Brian but not at the expense of Ben. Why do I constantly get mad at a guy who has been bashed and had to fight for everything? I know why, because I never fought, I let everyone protect me.

 

I fought for Ben. I ran with Hunter to keep him away from his mother. Which reminds me, I need to call that son of mine. He is supposed to be home this week. We could take him camping. He’ll bitch the whole time. That will be fun.

 

DAPHNE’S POV

 

Justin is waiting for me when I get home. I walk over and hug him. He is too smiley, something is up. We walk into my apartment and Justin is bouncing. I grab us a drink and tell him to spit it out. Justin spews that he is now Gus’s legal father and is going to, in essence, marry Brian. I stood there in shock. I mean I figured the marrying would happen, but Mel and Lindsay deciding that Justin is a parent wasn’t something I thought they would do. I wait for him to take a drink.

 

“That means you’ll be my father-in-law in seven years.” Justin starts choking. Yay me.

 

We both start laughing and he tells me about his plans. I told him that I would help Emmett set up. I asked when they were telling everyone. Justin pulls out his phone and dials Emmett.

 

“Em, I need you to plan a party for next Saturday.” Justin tell Em.

 

“Sure baby what kind.” Em is so going to kill Justin for this.

 

“Well Brian and I decide to make it a two-for-one party. First now that I am Gus’s legal dad we want to celebrate that, and the second is that we are going to be signing Legal Domestic Partnership papers. Think you can swing that party next Saturday? My mom will help, and Daphne will too.” Justin waits for Emmett to answer.

 

“Baby, you better show up at Drew’s house immediately or I am going to have a football team hunt your ass down. I am not kidding you, you can’t just call me and tell me something like that and just go on your merry way. I need details, and well, anything at this point and I better not be the last person you told. Mr. Kinney is going to get his ass kicked too. I bet Ted knows doesn’t he? You know what, get over here and we are going to talk about you not telling me about this.” Em hangs up.

 

We both start to laugh. Justin calls Brian and tells him. Brian tells Justin that he and Gus are off to shop, and good luck with Emmett. Justin groans and tells me I’m coming with him. Like I would miss this.

 

JUSTIN’S POV

 

You know, when you think it’s a great idea to do something like tell Emmett, it’s not. I have to tell him in detail about the whole thing over and over. I also now get why Brian wanted to take my car. He is shopping. Emmett, after getting over it, wants to know how many people are coming and what are we want to serve. I text Brian about what kind of food. He texted back ‘do a large barbeque’. I tell Em that, he likes the barbeque idea, only steaks and seafood. Em asks how many people, I text Brian again and he said ‘tell Em anywhere from 200 to 250’. I texted back ‘you mean 20 to 25’? The phone rings.

 

“I need to have a party for the company and clients also. This way we get everything out of the way.” Brian tells us. I put him on speaker.

 

“Are you crazy? I can’t have a party that big ready in 10 days.” Poor Emmett.

 

“I’ll double your fee.” Brian just has to win.

 

“Then I have to call in everybody in the family to help.” Is Em threatening Brian?

 

“Call them, I don’t care. I’ll talk to Deb.” Brian is going to win.

 

EMMETT’S POV

 

You know, I want to plan this, but this is going to take a group effort. I can order the food, it’s enough time, and with Jen, Deb, Daphne and Molly to help we’ll get it done. I have Darren and his staff. I called Darren and he said that with barbeque it is just assemble and marinade so it’s really easy. Drew came in and said he had a pastry guy who can do desserts and a cake. The rest is just table, chairs and linens. Jen is going to get with a guy she knows to get that done.

It’s really amazing what we can do as a group. I am still going to get Baby back for this.

Chapter End Notes:

to any Mikey fans this isn't going to get better even though it seem like it. Sorry.