- Text Size +

BEN’S POV

 

We listen to Michael and I suddenly realize that his feelings were hurt from the beginning. I tell Mel and Lindsay thanks for coming, but I think I can handle it from here. They leave and I tell Michael it’s time to go home. He starts to say something, but I tell him that we will talk in the car.

 

I want him to talk so that by the time we make it home he has it all out. I am going to sit in the car and not say anything. When he is done I will ask again how I can help him. I don’t want to be just another person who makes him feel like I won’t listen.

 

We get in the car and I tell him to let it all out. Not to think of my feelings or anyone else’s. I said that I would listen and not offer anything. He sat there dumbfounded at that. Justin is right, when you constantly tell people what to do and not listen, then why would they think we are there to help.

I am glad that Mel and Lindsay apologized for not telling Michael about the moving. I’ve always thought that was shitty on their part.

 

BRIAN’S POV

 

After Gus finishes ordering the things for Justin and Ben, it was my turn. Justin said that he was going to get Gus something. I want something to show our union. Justin paints and gets it everywhere so rings are out and so are bracelets. He also tends to lose things all the time. I figured necklaces would work nothing overdone just something for us. I look for something that is us. I finally see it. I asked the clerk to have it engraved with our names on the back of each but they aren’t large so I tell her just to BJ on it. She just looks at me for a second, and I tell her B&J instead.

 

Gus and I are going to Deb’s because I want to talk to her. Ben calls me and tells me that everyone talked and they were on their way home.I know she is worried about Michael but she is trying not to worry JR.

 

Everyone agreed to keep it quiet about Justin and I until I tell her. When we get there Deb is in the kitchen.

 

“Deb, I talked to Ben. He and Michael are on their way back from the girls. It sounds like it went okay.” I tell her she looks relieved.

 

“I also came to tell you that Justin and I will be having a party next weekend. We will be celebrating two things. Justin and I are going to become Legal Domestic Partners.” I’ll let Gus tell her the other thing.

 

Deb smiles and hugs me. She said she was proud of us. I tell her about Justin, Jen, Molly and Gus coming to the signing. There isn’t really anything exciting about it but if she wanted to be there that she was welcome. She told me of course she is going to be there, Justin needs the witnesses. She then asks what was the second reason.

 

“Mama and Mom made it so that I am Justin’s son legally. I have a Papa.” Gus is really happy.

Deb smiled at Gus and told him that Justin was that from the beginning, now it’s just paperwork. I love her, she has always just wanted the kids happy. JR and Gus run out to the backyard and I fill her in on what I know. Deb is actually pissed that Michael is running around instead of being with JR. Deb, for the first time, said she can’t let him get away with it. He hurt JR, and Deb said she always put Michael first and Michael is too busy being a Prima Donna to act like a real father.

 

I’m worried about Michael, but I won’t put him before Gus. I know that I sometimes put him before Justin, but Justin doesn’t need a lot of hand holding. Michael is like an invalid sometimes.

 

EMMETT’S POV

 

I want to kill Kinney. If this had been just a family party, it wouldn’t be so bad. No, he has to invite clients who could use my services. I called Jen and she told me that she will meet me at Britin. Justin told us do whatever. He is never any help. If there is food, Baby is happy. He was raised around these types of parties and I asked if anything rubbed off. He shrugs and said they just had to dress and attend. Daphne laughs and says that his mother had to dress him.

 

Jen and I were planning the party when Brian and Gus show up. Brian walks to Jen and kisses her cheek. I walk up and put my cheek out. He actually kissed it. I told Brian that Justin is no help. Brian tells me he keeps Justin around so that Jen can help with the parties. She laughs at that. Jen asked for the client list, and if he plans on inviting everyone from Kinnetik. He told her everyone. Cynthia said that we need to have a party at least once a year to show appreciation for all the work everyone does. Brian said it’s because he is an asshole and Cynthia hates hiring new people.

 

I wanted to know about Michael but I decided to wait since we are talking about happy things. I haven’t been there for him lately, but I have a life too. Teddy and I talked, and Teddy said that after listening to Michael complain, it was more about Brian not having time for him. Michael and Lindsay used to go into overdrive if Brian wasn’t solving everything. Lindsay and I have been texting each other and it looks like she finally realized that’s what Mel is for. Teddy said that Mel called and told him that they were talking for the first time, and what seemed insurmountable now seems like a bump in the road.

 

Well party time. Problems later

 

JUSTIN’S POV

 

I’m going to admit it, I’m hiding from the party planning. I’m happy about the reasons, but I paint, not plan parties. I want to give Lindsay and Mel the painting of the kids for the carriage house. Brian told me they are planning on buying it. Brian wanted to just give it to them, but I told him Mel needs to feel like she worked for it. He’ll probably just put the money in the kid’s college funds. I also finished Michael’s painting. I am going to put them in my next show. They are going to be titled True Happiness. In Michael’s, I put him looking at JR and the look he gets, that tells you he loves her, and JR looking back. Brian says they are sappy, but good. I told my agent they weren’t for sale. I told her that I would put 2 more into the show to make up for not having all 10 for sale.

I want to get Gus something as my present to him. I was going to paint something but I want it to be something really special. I went to find my mom. After asking her, she said that she knew exactly where to find what I want and she would take care of it. I love my Mom.

 

I was done for the day, so I told my son we need to go swimming.

 

LINDSAY’S POV

 

We were glad to escape. Michael always feels that you have to tell him everything. I remember when he donated for JR, I think if Mel and I let him, he would have watched me insert it.

 

Mel and I decided that we weren’t going to let his attitude affect our progress. We got our flight information from Brian. We are leaving as soon as I am done for the day Friday. I love Florida weather but when you have lived in cold all your life, the heat is hard. Brian told Mel that Jen had the cottage inspected. The previous owners used it for company and kept it in good shape. Also the gardener kept things from overgrowing.

 

I can’t wait to see it. Justin took some pictures of the whole place and sent them to us. We want to change the color, it’s white and we like warm colors, but other than that I think we can just move in.

 

Jen called and said that when we knew what colors we wanted to bring her the samples and what rooms and it would be her welcome home present. She also said it was thank-you for making her son happy.

 

We have an appointment tomorrow with Child Services and Dr. Bradford. We decided to let them know about everything including this weekend and the next.

 

BEN’S POV

 

It was about an hour before Michael said anything. Then it was all about him. I wanted to tell him to stop acting like the world was conspiring to make him look bad. But, as I promised, I didn’t say a word. Then it was how Brian could have taken the time for him. I wanted to ask why what concerned Gus needed to be discussed with him. Next it was how everyone is treating him like a kid. This was a complete dissertation, with each person and our crimes. I let that go because he is just blowing steam now. He starts to wind down.

 

“Aren’t you going to say anything about it?” Michael asks me.

 

“No, I want you to get it all out. You can’t help how you feel. Do I agree. No, not with all that you said. I’m your husband, not your teacher or your parent, so I am going to listen and what you do is up to you. I will be there for you and I love you. All I am going to ask is that before you do anything, stop and think about what you want to do and decide if someone did it to you would you like it.” That is all I can offer him.

 

MICHAEL’S POV

 

I told Ben I was going to sleep. I turned and looked out the window. I wanted him to agree or at least say something. I want to know he will side with me. All I got was that he would be there for me. I talked for like three hours and not a word from Ben. This is hard, I am used to hearing something about what I say.

 

Mel and Lindsay talked back, why can’t Ben. It’s like he doesn’t want to tell me anything. I need people to say things. Brian would at least give me an opinion. Ben is probably just tired, I mean he had to come here and now we are going to have to drive home.

 

I know that when I get home that I have to apologize to Ma for taking her car, and to JR for walking out. I think I need to get away. I want to have some breathing room.

 

DEBBIE’S POV

 

Ben called and told me that they are on their way and will be home sometime tomorrow. Carl told me that he was going to take JR to the police station. He wanted to show her off to the others. I started to cook. I know that Michael can do childish things, but he has never done anything like this before. Carl told me be his mother, but also treat him like an adult.

 

I’m mad, and was scared out of my mind. Doesn’t Michael know that we thought he could have been dead or hurt. You don’t get to run like a child when you have child of your own. I was a seventeen year old single mother in a time when you didn’t have kids out of wedlock. I had to find a way to support us. I didn’t have time to run away from my life. I had to be everything for him.

I have always tried to protect him, but you don’t neglect your kid. I can’t let him think that I am okay with that.