- Text Size +

GUS’ POV

 

Everyone is busy planning the party and Papa tells me that we need to stay out of the line of sight if we don’t want to be sucked in. He told everyone that he needed to get some painting done, and I was going with him. No one even cared. Papa took us to McDonalds and then to the loft.

 

He told me he needed me to sit for him. Papa brought an easel into the bedroom and told me to just play. I sat there playing but you know when someone watches you, you notice it. After a while I forgot because I was playing. Papa stopped and asked if I want to stay here or go see Daphne. Like that was even a question.

 

l like Cynthia, but Daphne is my woman. We meet her at the movie theater. Papa is really trying to stay away from the party prep. Papa told me it was up to me. I decided on Battleship. It was really funny. After that Papa said we had to go home. Dad texted him to get his twink ass home. I asked him what twink meant he said it’s just Dad’s way of meaning come home. I’ll ask Aunty Em, he always tells me.

 

I finally decided to ask about why Michael acts like he doesn’t like Papa. Papa shrugs and said that it isn’t that Michael dislikes him. Michael just has a hard time with change. He tells me about how Michael dated someone before Ben and that they moved really far away. Michael didn’t try to adjust to the change he just ran home and wanted everything to be the same. Michael even went back to work at the same job.

 

I asked if anything changed. Papa said that Michael wanted to do something new, but he had to talk to everyone first, then he took the chance and opened his comic store. After the store, one of his favorite comic book hero’s died and he came to Papa and wanted to start Rage. Papa thinks that if everyone just lets Michael go at his own pace, Michael will be okay. Well, until something else changes.

 

I ask Papa is it because Michael wanted to be Dad’s boyfriend. Papa smiled and said that Michael wanted what he has with Ben, but Dad was his emotional support since Michael and Dad were 14. It’s hard when the person who gives you that, sees you like a brother. Yes, at one time it was that. Now it’s that no one is there to help because we all have our own families and lives to worry about.

 

We get home and I tell him I am going to go swimming. I was swimming around and thought about what he told me. Maybe JR and I should do something for Michael. Everyone else is fine.

 

JUSTIN’S POV

 

Riding home with Gus was an experience. I never realized how much we must talk around him. Michael is acting like Michael. He isn’t being smart where JR is concerned, but otherwise it’s business as usual. If Brian was there to hold his hand and tell him that it would be okay, then Michael wouldn’t be running away. I know it’s Ben’s job to take care of his husband, but Ben is logical, and married to an illogical man.

 

I walk toward the kitchen and get grabbed and shoved into the closet. I think Brian missed me.

We walk back out and there is Emmett smirking at us.

 

“We were just making sure there was room to hang coats and things.” I can play innocent. Not that anyone believes me.

 

“And is there enough room?” Emmett starts to laugh. I give him the finger and go to my Mommy.

 

My mother is in WASP heaven, a huge party with clients and family coming. I hug her and tell her to protect me from the bad men. She turns and tells me she tried, and apparently I want to marry one. Brian sticks out his tongue at her. Gus starts to laugh. I run to him and tell him that the only reason I want to marry his dad is because I love Gus.

 

I am starting to see us all finally becoming normal again, and with the girls coming it will be like old times.

 

BRIAN’S POV

 

The next morning Ben lets me know that they should be back in town in a couple hours. I let him know Hunter showed up at Deb’s and they stayed at Deb’s last night. Ben sounded really tired at this point and I told him to take Michael home, get some sleep then deal with everyone. He agreed to that.

 

I let Justin know. Justin said that he thinks that everyone should leave it alone for a couple days. If everyone starts in on him again it could cause him to start up again. I told Justin good luck telling Deb that.

 

I was going to work. Cynthia has a new Ad exec that she is interviewing and wanted Ted and I to sit in. I got to work and was looking through memos when Deb comes in.

 

“I need to talk to someone who will listen. Carl told me to let my son handle his problems. I’m so mad right now I can’t look at Michael. He left his daughter and didn’t even think about the fact that everyone could have thought he was hurt or dead. I mean how did we find out where he was? The girls had to call. Brian, this is worse than the time he was ashamed of us for going to that party.” Deb sits and waits.

 

“Deb, this isn’t new. What is new is that I can’t be there to keep him from acting out. I need to take care of my son. Michael has to take a backseat to that. Justin and I can usually run after him and help, but even us doing that is wrong, Michael needs to rely on Ben. He’s my best friend but I can’t keep running around and being either his savior or the person to blame for his behavior.” I tell Deb.

 

“I know that, I just needed to get how I feel out to someone who isn’t going to get all emotional.” Deb gets up kisses my cheek and leaves.

 

Hope that helped her.

 

DEBBIE’S POV

 

Carl was going to work and told me to leave Michael to sulk until he is ready to talk. Carl is unhappy with Michael running and not telling anyone where he went. I don’t want to burden Ben or Hunter at this point. I need someone who is going to let me say what I need to say. After talking to Brian I can see he is right, this is Michael.

 

Instead of going to see Michael, I call Emmett to see if they need any help. Emmett told me that he would paint my toenails and do a facial if I came and helped. I guess I am going to help my Sunshine get hitched.

 

Emmett had plans all over the place. I’m a cook but Emmett said that he wants me to help him put a seating chart of the family together. He had the family tables all around in a circle. They have one large table in the middle that is going to be Brian and Justin’s table. Emmett told me that Jen, Carl, Gus, JR, the girls and I are at that table. I start to work the chart and think, why are Carl and I waiting? I dial Carl.

 

“Hey Sweetheart,everything okay?” Carl is always making sure I am okay.

 

“Yes, I’m helping Emmett with the party. I want to get married on July 4th. Nothing big, just friends and family.” I tell him.

 

“You’re serious?” Carl agreed to wait till I wanted to do it.

 

“I’m serious. Our marriage is about u,s not any agendas. No one cares if we don’t get married but us. I think it’s time we stop living in sin.” I tell him. I have lived my life for Michael. I want something that is about me.

 

You show up and so will I. I have to go, but I love you Deb.” Carl hangs up.

 

I look up to see Emmett clapping. He tells me that we are trying to kill him. Then tells me to start writing what I want so he can get it planned. Jen comes in and Emmett is looking at me, I nod.

 

“Deb is going to marry Carl on July 4th.” Emmett is bouncing up and down.

 

Jen walks over to me and grabs me into a hug. She tells me that we are going to plan together. I ask her to be my maid of honor and she tells me that she would have killed me if I hadn’t asked. This is so exciting.

 

MEL’S POV

 

I am waiting for Lindsay to pick me up from work. I am off until Tuesday because all the cases I have are waiting for verdicts. I already put in my notice, I didn’t want to take on something I couldn’t see through. They told me that they appreciated that I gave them a four week notice. Lindsay teaches art at a center and they told her that it was fine when she wanted to quit. We both want to have time to pack and not have to rush. Brian sent the first child support check for the whole month. He also sent a note that said suck it up and use it for the move. Instead of trying to pack and work at the same time I’m sucking it up.

 

I get a text from Emmett. I guess Deb is getting married too.

 

Lindsay pulls up and I ask if she has seen Emmett’s text. She said her phone was in her purse. I show her and she starts laughing. We are going home to everyone getting married.

 

BRIAN’S POV

 

I was just about to leave when Michael comes in. He sits down in the chair and I guess I am supposed to sit down too. I guess I need to give him a couple minutes.

 

“I want to say sorry for worrying you but I had a lot on my mind. On the way back Ben let me talk but he isn’t really offering any help. I mean I tell him what is going on and he just tells me he is going to make me figure it out. You know...” Michael was still talking.

 

My phone went off and I stopped listening I looked to see if it was Justin or Gus. Nope it’s Emmett. Deb want’s to tie the knot.

 

“Brian are you listening?” Michael asks.

 

“I was until you started trying to rehash the same story. You need to check your phone.” I tell him.

 

He pulls out his phone. He reads the message and shrugs about it. He starts to tell me about his trip, my phone rings it’s Justin calling. So I pick up and listen to an excited Sunshine. He tells me that he wants to pay for plane tickets for the honeymoon. I tell him to talk to Carl about it. Justin asks if I want them to come to town and maybe we could take Carl and Deb to dinner. I told him to call Deb and text me back.

 

Michael is sitting with his arms crossed and mad that I was ignoring him.

 

“Michael, unless you want to add anything other than the fact that you took off, left your daughter and husband without any idea that you were okay, I already heard it. I have things to do.” I grab his arm and usher him out.


Michael tells me that he’ll talk to me when I’m not so rushed. I asked if they are still planning on the camping trip. He said that Ben said the trip is still on. I looked at Michael and then he told me he was going too. He promised JR that they would do it. He finally got one thing right.