- Text Size +

LINDSAY’S POV

 

I am so ready to go to Pittsburgh. Justin and Gus are coming to get us from the airport. Gus is going camping Saturday. He is going to be home Sunday afternoon. So we will get to spend time with them. I had Mel call and let Ben and Michael know we are coming. Mel and I took a cab to the airport and were just hanging out. Michael calls on my phone.

 

He wants to know when we were getting in I tell him we would be in at 5pm. He said that he just found out and thought we might want to see JR. I told him that Justin and Gus were picking us up and everyone was going to Deb’s for dinner. He said he’d see us then.

 

We had an appointment with Child Services and our counselor yesterday and everything is progressing. Kelly said that once the classes were finished she was going to sign off. Dr. Bradford felt that we could see her every other week until we leave. Dr. Bradford originally told us that we were headed for trouble, but because we were both willing and wanted it to work that we are doing really well.

 

We got on the flight and just relaxed for the next couple hours.

 

JUSTIN’S POV

 

Brian wanted to clear off his schedule and try to work from home for the next week. With the party and amount of people he invited he wanted to oversee Emmett. More like micromanage. Gus and I were going to pick up the girls. Michael called and wanted to come with us. I stopped by his house and he and JR got in.

 

He was complaining that they girls didn’t say anything about coming when he was down in Florida. I told him that it was a last minute decision. They found time to come. He said that if they had said something about coming up earlier, that they could have stayed home to visit instead of going camping. I asked if they were still leaving early. He said that we need to get Gus over by 6am. Gus piped up and said that he was staying at Deb’s so they only had to go there to get him.

 

When the girls arrived, the kids were all over them. We went to get the luggage and Michael asked why so much stuff. The girls were only staying the weekend. They told him they were going to be here till Monday. Mel told Michael that they wanted to talk to the dad’s on Sunday night if Ben and Michael could stick around after bringing Gus to Brian’s. Michael told her they would make time.

 

We left the luggage in the car and went into Deb’s. Deb was ready to sit and eat. Lindsay told Deb and Carl congrats on finally setting a date. I think we all kind of watch Michael, but he was actually happy for his mom.

 

“Sunshine, where is Brian.” Deb asks.

 

“He told me he would be here as soon as everything was done. He is taking next week off. I don’t know exactly when he is getting here.” I tell her.

 

“Papa, he said he would be here at 6:30.” Gus tells me.

 

I look at my watch. It was just about that time. I figured I would go meet him outside. Gus wanted to come to so we walked outside to wait for him. Lindsay told us she would come out too. She wanted to say hi to him.

 

MICHAEL’S POV

 

I was sitting here actually happy that my mom relented and is marrying Carl. I never understood why she wanted to wait. She isn’t famous, so no one is going to notice that she didn’t marry Carl. I already called and told them both congratulations. I want Ma to be happy.

 

I was sitting here and when I hear it. Papa, why is Gus calling Justin ‘Papa’? Justin isn’t his father. I was told about the Legal Domestic Partnership but that doesn’t make Justin anything but Brian’s partner. They have been that for years, so it makes sense that they are doing it. Unlike marriage, it doesn’t turn Justin into his parent. I want to say something, but I can quiz Gus Saturday.

 

Brian comes in and we finally eat. I was going to try to catch Brian and warn him that he needs to explain to Gus that he and Justin aren’t married. I didn’t because Ben and Hunter came in. Brian, Justin, Lindsay and Mel told everyone good-bye and left. I asked Gus if he want to stay at our house. He said no, Granny Deb promised pancakes in the morning. JR asked to stay too. Ben told Deb we would be here early to get them.

 

I can wait. Ben and I are doing okay, but I don’t need anything tipping him over the edge with me again.

 

MEL’S POV

 

We got to Britin. Linds and I have always thought it was funny they named the house. Justin said at the time it was just them joking around.

 

Brian and Justin grab our stuff and put it in a spare room. Most of it was going to stay here. We are bringing things we don’t need between the two trips. Linds wanted to walk around, we have been stuffed from one seat to another since the flight. Brian and Justin told us to have fun. No guesses what those two are up to.

 

Brian gave us keys to the carriage house and told us it’s ours to do with what we will. His only stipulation was not to paint it pink. We walk out past the pool and tennis courts, it’s actually further than we thought.

 

Lindsay and I wandered around the yard first then unlocked the door. It’s one story but huge. There is a large living room, you pass through and you go to the right and the bedrooms are there. On the left is a dining room,  the kitchen has a bar then a door to go through to get into the kitchen. The laundry room is behind that. It’s bigger than any house we have ever owned. We go down the other hall and two of the rooms connect to a bathroom that also has a hallway access to it. There is a small room that I can use for an office. We walk into the Master Bedroom, someone has decorated for us. There is a note on the bed.

 

Smelly Melly and Wendy,

 

Do your girl stuff in your own house.

 

From the King of Britin and his princess

 

We both started laughing and then we decided that we would take them up on it.

 

GUS’ POV

 

I really wanted to go camping, but six is too early. Papa and I sleep till at least nine. We all get in the car and JR and I go back to sleep. Ben is taking us out to Bear Run Campgrounds, it is about 40 minutes away. When we get there he tells us that he decided that since we were only here for a day we were going to stay in a cabin.

 

I was so glad Dad told me that sleeping on the ground where anything could get you wasn’t his thing. I don’t think it’s mine either. After getting settled in, Ben rents a boat and we go around the lake. He then said that we could hike around after lunch and be back by dinner. Hunter is complaining the whole hike that he lived in cities, he might be allergic to country. Michael let JR ride on his back when she got tired.

 

JR passed out when we got back and Hunter grabbed his phone and started texting everyone. Ben was cooking burgers. I was surprised because Ben is like Dad, they eat healthy stuff. I was sitting with Michael on the porch.

 

“What do you think of your Dad and Justin doing the Partnership?” Michael asks me.

 

“Dad said that nothing really changed, except on paper. They already combined everything anyway.” I tell him.

 

“I always wondered why they hadn’t done it yet.” Michael tells me.

 

“Dad said they never saw any reason to, they were together and Papa didn’t really care one way or another.” I tell him.

 

“You know it doesn’t make Justin your dad, don’t you?” He tells me.

 

“No, Mama and Mom did that. When Dad asked for the partial custody thing, Mama and Mom listed Papa as my parent too.” I tell him.

 

MICHAEL’S POV

 

I can’t believe nobody said anything. I mean Ben is my partner and he deserves the same rights. If they want Justin to be a parent, then Ben should be too. I am tired of this, once again no one asked me. I tell Gus that it’s great. I don’t want him to think I’m mad at him.

 

I waited till everyone went to bed and walked outside. Why wasn’t I told about this? I deserve to at least be told. Just another way they treat us differently. If Mel and Lindsay think I am going to let this go they have another think coming.

 

I really want to go back now and wake them up and find out why I wasn’t told about this. I was walking around fuming. Ben calls me and I decide he should know.

 

“Mel and Lindsay gave Justin legal rights to Gus.” I want to yell but I don’t want to wake anyone up.

 

“Yes, they did it when Brian asked for partial custody. Brian put in the paperwork that Gus would go to Justin if something happened to all three of them. Mel and Linds decide to Justin should just be another legal parent. Is there something wrong with that?” Ben asks me.

 

He doesn’t feel slighted by this. I do.

 

“What about you, you're my husband and they never thought to do that.” I can’t believe he is so calm about this.

 

“Brian did it. Have you ever thought to put me in the paperwork?” Ben stands and stares at me.

 

I look at him and just shake my head. I can wait till we are all together. I smile and pretend that I don’t care. Ben holds out his hand and we walk in the house.

 

LINDSAY’S POV

 

I wake up to someone knocking and go to see who it is. Justin is standing there with food on a tray and I look to see he drove over. He hands it to me.

 

“Have you looked behind the laundry room yet?” Justin asks me.

 

“It was dark when we walked out here so I didn’t yet.” I tell him.

 

“I’m going back to the house, take a look but I need it back. Only for a week okay.” Justin tells me and kisses my cheek.

 

What could he borrow for a week and from behind there. I walk through the laundry room and there is a glassed in sunroom. I walk around it then realize he left me a painting. It’d different than anything he has tried before. Gus and JR are running around and there are little elements in them. I see a note.

 

Mel and Lindsay,

 

This is what your kids have looked like since we left last weekend. Let’s keep our angels smiling.

I need this for my show in August but you own it. I am calling it True Happiness.

 

Love,

 

Sunshine

 

I stare at it and you know he is right they are happy. I hear Mel and call her to come. She walks over and looks and I hand her the note. We sit there and stare at it. I want it over the fireplace so I move it. Justin gave us a painting when we were moving to Canada, it’s great that we get one when we are coming home.

 

BRIAN’S POV

 

The little twat took off this morning. He is probably over at Mel and Lindsay being a good host. I go to get coffee and wait. He comes in and is all happy. I asked what he was doing and he says that he delivered the girls breakfast. He figured that gave us a couple hours before they came over. I grab him by his pants and drag him to my office.