- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Hope you enjoy i have 2 chapters finished so the next is right behind this.

MEL POV

 

I don’t know what is wrong with Lindsay and I, but we need to figure it out. It’s hurting the children. We’ll have to stay in jail, because we don’t have any way to get bailed out. That is the only thing about having no friends or family close by, no one is there to help.

 

When we get told that Child Services is here, my heart stopped. Kelly the advocate explained that after viewing the house and talking to the children, they were going to investigate us. She then tells me that Gus informed her that someone named Justin was on his way here.

I am relieved, Justin will be able to help the kids. Brian would probably kill us for this and I don’t even want to deal with Michael.

 

Justin and Kelly come into the room and they bring Lindsay. We both are ashamed of what we did, but it didn’t change where we ended up today.

 

“Mel, Lindsay, we need to decide what to do with the kids. Michael is here and so are Brian and Ben. As long as you agree, we want to take the kids to Pittsburg for the summer. This is to give you time to work on yourselves and keep the kids away from it.” Justin tells us.

 

“I need to add to Justin’s statement and tell you both that you are going to be required to go to parenting classes. I also think seeing a counselor will help.” Kelly tells us.

 

I ask if Lindsay and I can talk to Justin alone for a minute. Kelly walks out of the room.

 

“I think and hope Lindsay will agree that it would be good for the kids to be away from us. I also want you to be in charge of Gus.” I can tell he doesn’t like what I’m saying, but I trust Justin to take care of Gus.

 

“Mel, Brian will take care of Gus. I don’t have a problem with Justin having custody, but you need to stop acting like Brian would neglect Gus.” Lindsay starts to get upset at me.

 

“Look I live with Brian, he is going to be there too, Mel. Right now you two need to stop this crap. I don’t know what is going on with your relationship, but you need to see that the kids are being affected by it. Fine, I’ll take custody, but Mel you are not going to put conditions on it.” Justin talks to us like we are children.

 

He goes and gets Kelly. We sign the paperwork, and she tells us that she is going to release the children into Justin’s and Michael’s care for tonight. As long as, everything comes up fine they will be allowed to take the children to Pittsburg for the summer.

 

Justin tells me that he is going to tell the guys to go to the hotel and then he will bail us out.

 

LINDSAY’S POV

The guard takes Mel and I back to our cells. It took Justin about an hour to get us out. Brian insisted on waiting for Justin before going to the hotel. Justin insisted they all wait in the car.

 

Thank god, I don’t know which would be worse, Brian or Michael at this point.

 

Mel and I tell Justin that we are going to go home and clean up the mess and pack the kid’s stuff. He nods and hands us money for a cab. He also tells us to wait until they leave to come out. Justin and Ben apparently knew that if either Brian or Michael sees us, we might all be in jail.

 

Mel and I walk into the house, and look at all the damage we did.

 

“We need to talk to a counselor, we can’t keep going like this.” I tell Mel.

She nodded and started crying. I sat with her and we cried together. How did everything get so screwed up?

 

I think that half of our problem is that we never talked after we got back together. We just ignored it and left everything behind. We’ve been fighting over stupid things and ignoring that the kids are suffering through it. We answered the problem with moving again.

 

This latest fight was because Mel and I haven’t made many friends, it gets lonely with just each other. We talk but she isn’t really interested in art and I feel the same way about law. She works a lot and I get stuck with the kids. I need adult conversation, not every day, it would be nice to be able to go to lunch with a friend. Just adults for once.

 

Mel doesn’t get my need for others. She has lawyers and family that she can talk to. Her aunt is nice but I have nothing in common with her. Mel will act like she is listening to me, but then she cuts me off and starts talking about herself.

 

When we started arguing last night, I started with needing to have someone who listens, and that just got her to bring up Sam and Brian. We escalated from there to throwing things and yelling. We didn’t stop until the police came, but the minute the police left I start again. When they police came a second time we were taken to jail and the kids were with Child Services.

 

BRIAN POV

 

It took a lot for me to not go to the girl’s house and have it out with Mel. Justin told me to not fly off the handle. I know in the past I wasn’t father material. I made mistakes, but I am not going to keep allowing for Mel to hold that against me.

 

Mel and I have problems with each other, it stems from both of us wanting to control everything. I used drinking, drugs and tricks. Mel uses her anger at not being a man. Lindsay doesn’t always help the situation. She is a people pleaser. Justin likes to please people too, the difference is that he stands his ground if he believes in something.

I know then when we get home, it’s time to talk about my rights. Justin has always thought that I should do it. I talked to him about it in New York one night. His reasoning was that if something happened to Mel and Lindsay, I didn’t have any say in where Gus was sent.

 

Lindsay has keep her promise and Gus is with me on most of his school breaks. Mel agrees only because she didn’t want to fight with Lindsay over it. Which now is funny considering last night.

 

GUS’S POV

 

I was a little upset when I saw my dad and Michael. I wanted to keep my Dad from getting mad. When Justin left to talk to my moms, my dad sat with me and told me that Justin had to tell him because of JR. I calmed down after that. I wanted my dad but I know that Mel won’t listen to him, and usually, Michael would just add fuel to the fire.

 

Justin handled the moms, and the rest of them handle JR and me. When it was all over we came to the hotel and Justin and Ben decided it was time to do something fun. Ben stayed in the pool with us, while Justin, Dad, and Michael talked. I really wanted to know that they were saying.

When they were done Dad walked off and I know something upset him. I wanted to know. I got out and sat with Justin.

 

“Why is Dad mad?” I asked him.

 

“Gus, he wants you to have a great life, because he knows what it’s like not to. He and Michael are upset because you and JR were hurt.” Justin tells me.

 

“They didn’t hurt us, they just hurt each other.” I don’t understand, the moms didn’t do anything to us,

 

“I know they didn’t do anything to you and JR, but it affects you both. Your moms love you, but what they did was wrong. You and JR shouldn’t be scared to be home.” He tells me.

 

I understand now, but when you grow up with people fighting all the time you get used to it. That’s why it’s confusing for me. They don’t fight every night or even once a week. JR and I know when it’s going to happen and leave the room.

 

MICHAEL POV

 

It’s really hard for me not to want to bitch the girls out. My kid will not be in a war zone. I let Mel and Lindsay take JR with them to Canada, because even I feared for JR after the bombing. When they moved again and didn’t tell me, I was pissed about it. I am her father and I deserved to know where my daughter was.

I remember going to Brian’s loft and pitching a fit. When I figured out Brian knew already and had known, I bitched him out for not telling me. He told me that Mel said she was going to tell me, and if I want to get pissed to take it home. It took me a week and talking to Ben and Justin to finally forgive Brian.

 

What was weird to me is that I didn’t get mad at Justin. Ben and I talked about it and he said that it was probably because I feel Brian owes me due to us being best friends.

 

Justin and I have developed a friendship. We still sometimes have issues, most of the time it comes from me. I know Brian better than Justin, and want to help him understand Brian. Justin told me that I can tell him whatever I want but it doesn’t mean he’ll listen. Ben thinks it’s funny.

I was sitting listening to Justin and Gus talk and I realize that Justin doesn’t talk down to Gus. They talk like adults to each other. Then they had to ruin it, they run to the pool and Justin picks up Gus and throws him in. Children.

 

Brian comes back and sits with me. I can tell he is still mad at Mel.

 

“I’m going to try to get partial custody of Gus, I’m telling you as a friend, not to get an opinion.” Brian tells me.

 

“Well, I’m not going to let JR go back until they prove to me this will never happen again.” I need to make sure that my baby doesn’t get hurt any more.

 

BRIAN POV

 

I wanted to make sure that Michael knew what I was going to do. I don’t need his Queening out because I didn’t tell him. I’m not going to take Gus away from the girls, I just need it in writing that if anything happens, that I get him.

 

Justin and I talked on the plane and he is behind me on this. He also told me to let him talk to Mel and Lindsay about this because Mel and I can’t talk to each other. Justin is right, but it’s hard to sit back. Ben agreed with Justin. Michael and I would be such a mess if these two didn’t keep us grounded.

 

I watch Justin and Gus playing around and Gus is happy. That is all I want for him. Mel and Lindsay have never made me want to take Gus from them before. When I saw Gus at the police station, I saw me, without bruises or broken arms. I won’t let anyone do that to him.

 

Justin comes over to us and asks if we want to go to Bush Gardens before we go home. What is with him and theme parks. Michael is all in for that. Those two are like Siamese twins sometimes. When we took the kids to Disney and to Sea World when we came the first time, I tried to resist but all it took was Justin pouting and about three blow jobs. After the trip, I saw how  happy it made my son, so guess we’re going to Bush Gardens.

 

I called Ted and Cynthia and filled them in so they knew I was going to be out for a couple days.   

Justin and Michael wanted to ride everything, I just went for the beer. Ben and I let the four children run around. Michael started to scold me for drinking, I told him to think of what this place is called. Justin stole some of my beer, what was funny was a waitress demanded to see his ID. Justin might be close to 30 but he still looks like he’s 17.

 

Michael started laughing and Justin stuck his tongue out at him. JR has a bit of a crush on Justin, so she kicked her dad and told him to leave Justin alone. Ben and I couldn’t help it, we started laughing at JR. Gus who was reading a pamphlet, looked up and told us he wanted to go on the roller coaster. Michael and Justin grabbed the kids and left.

 

On the flight back, I opted to sit with Ben. Michael and Justin were working on the comic. JR and Gus were passed out. Ben can sit and be quiet. Justin and Michael can’t not talk. Justin and I are going to stay at the loft with Gus tonight then I have to get to work. Justin doesn’t have another show until August. He is going to have Gus most of the time. He told me he understands I have to work, but he is not going to be the only person Gus sees all summer. I know that, but it’s his way of making sure that I come home at a reasonable hour.

 

Deb already agreed to take off Tuesday and Wednesday, so Justin and Michael can work on their comic. It’s been doing better than Rage. This time they didn’t base it on anyone, they still have gay characters but they also included straight ones. Not really my thing, but it’s selling faster than Rage.

 

We all agree to get together in the morning at the diner before going home.