- Text Size +


Kelly came to see us the day after the kids left. We have to attend a parenting class two nights a week for six weeks. When we told her we are going to see a counselor on our own to work on the marital issues she took the information down and told us the counselor needs to have a progress report sent to her so that she can add it to our file. We are allowed to have contact with the kids. She left her card and told us to call anytime we had questions.

 

The counselor made room in her schedule for us to come in today after hours. She told us that we would need at least two hours for the first session. After that it would be an hour each time twice a week.

 

Lindsay and I arrived early, we haven’t said a lot to each other. Just cleaned the house and took the rest of the week off work. We have seen counselors before, but not together.

 

Dr. Bradford is about our age, she told us both that she is our doctor, not our friend. She told us the first part of the session was going to be her asking questions, the second is us talking about what we want to accomplish.

 

She asked if we ever had counseling before together and we told her no. She asked when the problems started in our relationship. We took her through to the fight.

 

“Mel, why does Lindsey wanting to do things outside of you and the children cause fights.” She asks me.

 

“I think because.” She stops me.

 

“No thinking, if you need a minute take a minute. I want to know why.” She tells me.

 

I really don’t want to say it. I promised that I was over it. I look at my hands and talk.

 

“When Lindsey cheated, she was out of the house and making excuses for her time. When she talked about going out with the girls after a class, it sounded like an excuse so I wouldn’t question why she was out so late.” There, I said it.

 

“Lindsay, how does that make you feel when Mel said that. Total truth.” Dr. Bradford asked Lindsay.

 

“She told me that we would put it behind us. I realize she hasn’t forgotten it. It hurts. I forgave her when she cheated.” Lindsay answered.

 

Dr. Bradford wrote down some information. Then looked up and asked us to both tell her what we want to accomplish with therapy.

“I want to be able to build back Mel’s trust and find a more constructive way to discuss our issues.” Lindsay answers.

 

“I want to be able to do the same and also make sure the kids have a healthy environment to grow up in.” I answer.

 

Dr. Bradford stares at us for a minute. Then tells us what she feels we need to do.

 

“First taking the night class on parenting will help. Second when you leave each session here, I want you to separate and write a list of questions we can discuss in the next session. Third if the urge to fight happens, walk away until you can discuss the problem. I want you, off the top of your heads to name three things that cause arguments. Those will be things you cannot discuss until the next session.” Dr. Bradford tells us.

 

Lindsay goes first. “We can’t talk about my son’s father, my family or money.”

 

Dr. Bradford nods and looks at me.

 

“We can’t talk about Brian our son’s father, money, or my family.” I tell her.

 

She looks at Lindsay and me and asks why the same list.

 

“Those are the things that cause all the fights.” I tell her.

 

She smiles at both of us and said that we should be great for the next two days, since we have nothing to fight about.

 

GUS POV

 

This morning Dad left early, I got up with him because I have a hard time sleeping in strange places. He gets me cereal and milk. We eat together and he tells me that if I want to watch TV go for it, he would be back in 2 hours. I am still tired so I walk into their bedroom and lay down next to Justin. Justin wakes up and smiles at me. I cuddle up to him and we both fall back to sleep.

 

My Dad comes to wake us up and says that we need to get to the diner. We get ready and head to the diner. When I walk in Debbie swallows me in a hug. I notice Justin slide by and head to the booth. Traitor.

 

Debbie tells me that she ordered me breakfast already. I sit between Dad and Justin. Michael, Ben and JR come in a grab a seat.  Debbie starts serving us, then leans over and pinches JR cheeks. I decide the hugs aren’t so bad.

We eat, and the Dads decided how they would split up our time. Justin will take JR, if Deb isn’t off to watch her. Justin told them we could stay at the house since there is more to entertain us with. If Justin is busy, Michael will keep us with him at the comic shop. Ben has summer class, but has volunteered he and Michael if Dad and Justin have something planned for the evening.

Michael looked like he was going to argue about that. Ben said he meant like business meetings. Dad rolled his eyes.

 

JUSTIN’S POV

 

Brian told me that it was fine to offer help with JR, but not to let Michael dump her on me. I don’t feel that way, if Gus is home, why not have JR over, we don’t have any friends with children. I made Brian promise to not buy something for Gus just because Gus looked at it. He did that at first and we had issues with Gus throwing tantrums when he didn’t get something.

 

Brian also is going to see about partial custody. He wants it in stone that he has rights. Mel and Lindsay have never scared Brian as far as Gus is concerned, till now. We knew that they fight, everyone does, Gus calls only if it gets loud. I normally just call the house and they stop. I have even had Ben call so it seems random.

 

Brian was a little hurt by the fact the Gus didn’t want him to help. I told Brian that it wasn’t that Gus didn’t want him, but between him and Mel they can’t keep their cool. Gus overheard that and told Brian that he knows that his dad could handle it, he just doesn’t need all his parents fighting at once. Brian told him he would try to handle Mel better, but that yeah maybe it was better for me to smooth the way first.

 

Ben and I decided that we were going to talk to Debbie, she is just itching to talk to the girls. Brian and Michael were taking the kids out shopping. When they left after I reminded Brian not to give in to everything Gus wanted, Debbie sat with us.

 

“Look, I know you want me to stay out of this, but JR and Gus deserve better than what happened.” Deb tells us.

 

“Deb, I’m not saying they don’t but it was a fight that got out of hand. They aren’t trying to hurt the kids, but each other. We need to let them work it out, and only help when they need us to.” Ben tells Deb.

 

I can see she wants to argue, but she knows that Ben is going to counter her arguments. She looks at me and ask what I really think.

 

“I think that if we get in the way, it could cause more harm than good. Deb, when Brian and I were first starting out everyone had an opinion and everyone decided that they knew better than us. I listened, Brian listened and all it did was cause more problems. I think that if the girls call, we listen, and offer advice if they ask. One of the worst things we can do at this point is try to take sides since we don’t really know enough to have an informed opinion.” Wow, maybe I should became a counselor myself.

 

Deb nods and we know she doesn’t agree completely but she’ll try to be good.

 

I have to go by Kinnetik and drop off some papers for Brian. He wanted us to spend the day together with Gus. I felt him and Michael needed to spend time with the kids.

 

I walked in and Cynthia is out in the reception area talking to a client, so I wave and go to Brian’s office. I put the paperwork in Brian’s outgoing mailbox. Cynthia hired a new assistant for him when he made her partner. Theresa is really nice. I was worried that Brian would run her off.

 

When Cynthia hired Theresa she told Brian if he wasn’t civil than he was going to be without an assistant.

 

I checked my email on Brian’s computer and Theresa walks in. I look up and smile at her.

“Brian sent the paperwork, it’s in the box. He told me to tell you that he will be in by two today.” I tell her.

 

“Okay, yeah, sure, I mean, I’ll write that down somewhere. I mean I’ll…, never mind thanks.” She tells me and rushes out the door.

 

She is so nervous, but Brian can do that to a person. Ted walks in and almost gets hit by Theresa.

 

“Sorry Ted.” She tells him.

 

“No problem, Theresa.” He walks in.

 

Ted handed me the file with a list of expenses Brian pays for Gus.

 

“That is everything I have that Brian has paid for Gus. Tell him that anything that’s missing before that list he can get  the cancelled checks from his bank.” Ted tells me.

 

Brian told me to let Ted know what’s going on so he can be there for Mel. Mel and Ted are best friends from college. Theresa comes back in again.

 

“Um, Mr., I mean Justin, there is a package for you. Do you want me to…um bring it in here.” Good lord, the poor girl.

 

“Do I need to sign for it?” She shakes her head no. “Okay just bring it in here then.” I tell her.

 

Ted is looking at her, then at me. She walks in and almost trips on her feet. I get up and take the package and she practically runs out of the room. Ted looks back at me. I shrug.

 

“Is she always like that with you?” Ted asks.

 

“I think today is the first time she has ever tried to talk to me.” I tell Ted.

 

Ted lets go of whatever he wanted to say to me and goes back to his office. I take the files to Brian’s lawyer’s office. We had it set up where I would pick up Gus, and we were going to go to the house. When I got back to the office, I see Gus flirting with Cynthia. Brian told Gus that if he was going to be straight, only hit on the top shelf. I roll my eyes since Gus had to ask why he need to hit the top of a shelf.

 

Theresa walks out of Brian’s office and I wave to her. She turns red and goes towards the copy room. I hope Brian wasn’t an asshole to her. Cynthia starts to laugh. Gus and I walk in to say bye to Brian.

 

“Justin, I need you to take some stuff home with you.” He tells me.

 

What did he buy Gus? The corvette is small so hopefully it isn’t something I might have to strap to the roof. Gus is all smiles.

 

“Okay what did you get Gus?” I’m kind of scared now.

 

“Come outside and I’ll show you.” Brian tells me.

 

Theresa walked out of the copy room, when she see us she drops one of the folders. Brian shakes his head and drags me out the door.

 

We get to the side parking lot and I see the corvette, but it doesn’t look stuffed full of anything. Brian walks me over to a SUV. It’s really big.

 

“Nice car what did you need me to take home Brian.” He can be so evasive sometimes.

 

“You can be a good boy and drive your new car home.” Brian tells me.

 

I look at the car and back at Brian. “Why did you buy me a car?” It’s not that I don’t appreciate it but he needed to stop spending on things like this.

 

“We have a kid who can’t ride in our laps and you need a car that can haul paintings. I saw one of these a couple weeks ago and it has everything you need.” He tells me.

I know nothing about cars and truthfully, if it gets me where I’m going I’m good. I kiss him thank you and then look in the back. I wonder if any store had anything left. I decided to leave before I say anything.