- Text Size +

LINDSAY’S POV

 

This morning I wake up to Mel fixing breakfast. We still haven’t really talked about anything. I am starting to get scared. We used to sit for hours discussing current events and things we wanted to do. It’s like the minute we can’t talk about Brian, money or family, we are at a loss.

 

“Lindsay, since we don’t have anything we have to do today. I think you should pick a place for us to go and then I’d like to go see a movie later. I think we need to have a fun day.” She tells me.

 

I want to go look at the markets on the beach, maybe just go swimming after. I tell her and she agrees to that. It’s different, normally she tells me what we need to do and I go along with it.

 

We were lying on the beach when she asks me to tell her what I regret most in my life. I tell her that I gave up so easy on my art. I let the fact that it was too hard cause me to stop. I told her about how Justin fed me thru his art, and I was letting Justin do all the work and pretending that I was happy enough to see him become what I wanted.

 

Mel was quiet and I asked her what about her. She told me that she regrets pushing for us to go to Canada. At the time she could claim the bomb was the issue. She knows it was really trying to run from Sam, Brian and everyone interfering all the time. She wanted everyone out but me and the kids.

 

Then Mel tells me that this is a fun day and that she wanted us to have fun. The strange part is we did.

 

BRIAN’S POV

 

It was hard listening to Gus, but he needed that and I gave it to him. Justin and I went back to bed and didn’t discuss it. Justin knew I need that. We also decided not to bring it up today unless Gus asked.

 

I had to work so I was up and gone before they both were. I was sitting here at my desk, but I was at home with Gus in my head. I am actually mad at Mel and myself, we were making it harder on the kids because we can’t get along. Trust me, I am still mad at the girls because instead of dealing with things they say things that hurt my son.

 

A couple of hours later Michael shows up and asks me to lunch. I want to ask where JR is, but I don’t. We go to a deli close by instead of the diner. He wanted to talk without his mom around. I hope that he understands why I said what I said last night.

 

“Ben and I talked in the car. I was still upset that you didn’t listen to me. I know that I shouldn’t have put the blame on you and Justin. I just thought that JR should want to spend more time with me. I sometimes feel like I don’t exist when Justin is there. JR is always running after him. Ben told me that I needed to remember what it was like when I was younger. I was always looking to escape Ma.” Michael goes silent after that.

 

“I know we are all stressed by this, but Justin can’t be your excuse when you screw up. I thought you grew out of that. I need to take care of my son, just like you need to take care of your daughter. I can’t give Gus what he needs if I have to take care of JR and you.” I hope this gets thru to him.

 

“Ben took her out today, they were going to some art and science thing at his college. I came to talk to you because I know I was being harsh yesterday. I want to be able to help JR and I thought if we talked maybe we could help each other.” He tells me.

 

I wonder why he didn’t go with Ben and JR today. He does have help at the store.

 

“Are you working at the store today?” I ask because he will close down to go to lunch.

 

“No I got my part-timer to take over today. I just have to close the store down at 7.” He tells me.

 

“Why didn’t you go with Ben?” I don’t get it. I mean I am probably just going to go home after lunch.

 

“It’s boring, I didn’t want to spend the day looking at art and science exhibits.” Michael really needs to get a clue here.

 

I just don’t have time for this anymore. I tell him I have to go. Michael said he was going to go home and watch a movie. He told me I could come over but I tell him I thought it would be a good idea to spend time with Gus.

 

I call Justin to see where they are. He told me that Gus wanted to see the science exhibit. I guess I’m going there. I swing by the loft and change and head to the campus. Gus is waiting out front. I ask where Justin is and he tells me someone asked him about his art and Justin got stuck.

 

GUS’S POV

 

Justin asked what I wanted to do this morning. I called JR to see what they were doing. She tells me about the exhibit at Ben’s school. Art is okay but the science stuff sounds fun. I ask if we can go and tell JR we’ll meet them there. Justin by-passed the art stuff and we went to look at the science section. We told Ben and JR we would meet them for lunch.

 

After lunch at the school café, we were going to look around some more. JR asked if we could go to the art section together. They had someone giving tips in drawing. JR had a sketchbook and was trying to keep up. Justin was helping her. One of the teachers noticed Justin and asked him to talk about how he got started. Justin seemed a little embarrassed by it.

 

Dad had called and said he would be here. I told Ben I was going to wait for Dad. He walked me to the front to wait. When Dad pulled up he walked back in. Dad asked where Justin was and I told him. We went in and Justin was talking to the group about how he got started. It’s weird, because to me Justin is my dad’s boyfriend and my best friend. To the group of people standing there he is like a rock star.

 

I look at my dad and I can see he is proud of Justin. When Justin gets done he walks over to us and shakes his head. JR and Ben come up and she is showing Justin her drawing. It’s okay but you know, she’s nine. Ben and Justin both praise it. She walks over to Dad and ask him. He looks at it and asks if she wants a job. JR is beaming.

 

This is how our life should be. I mean everyone encourages us and no one is fighting. I know that my Dad and Justin fight, they just do it away from me. I was eight the first time I ever saw it happen. I didn’t hear anything because they asked me to stay in the kitchen and walked outside the door. They were waving their arms and talking but after they were done they held each other and came in. I can’t even tell you what it was about.

 

JR’S POV

 

Ben told me that he wanted to take me to the school exhibit. I stared at him. He said that he wanted to surprise me because they had an art show. I was happy because we were going to something I am interested in. Dad told us he was going to go to work.

 

Gus called and I told him what we were doing and Justin and Gus wanted to come. Ben then hands me a sketchbook and said that my Dad forgot to give this to me. I asked if I could take it with me and Ben said that was the point.

 

When we got there I was excited because they have station to learn how to draw, paint and other different forms of art. Mommy would have loved this. We walked around and I did the painting booth and the pottery wheel. We joined Justin and Gus for lunch.

 

When the drawing exhibit started again, I wanted to sit and try to draw with them. Justin sat with me and helped until someone asked him to talk to everyone about how he got started. I know Justin is an artist but I have never been to a show or anything. It was kind of neat to listen to him talking about what he does.

 

I was still drawing when he was done and need to show him. Everyone told me it was good and Uncle Brian offered me a job. I think he was kidding, but who knows.

I also missed mommy because she would want to see what I did. Mama too. Ben looked down and asked if I was okay. I told him I wanted to talk to my moms. He told me we could call them tonight before bed time.

 

JUSTIN’S POV

 

I hate talking about how I became an artist, because to me, I draw and people either buy it or not. Brian told me not to pass up opportunities to sell myself. I also don’t want to seem like a jackass who thinks he is too good to talk to people. I talked and then I got the heck out of there.

 

After looking at JR’s drawing, Ben noticed that she was upset and asked what was wrong. She misses the girls. He told her they could call tonight. Brian asked Gus if he wanted to talk to them. Gus said not yet. I hate this, I want us to be a happy family, but we promised not to push. We left to go home. Gus rode with Brian and I dropped of Ben and JR.

 

Gus wanted to go swimming, so Brian and I swam for a bit then sat and watched him. Brian told me about Michael and lunch. I think that it was better for JR not to have Michael there. He would have gotten bored. Brian told me that he was bored but he still came. He is right, but Michael will adjust in his own time.

 

Brian doesn’t have anything he needs to do other than an appointment with the lawyer tomorrow so he is going to take the day off to spend with Gus. He said they can go to the park and play soccer. I asked if he wanted to take lunch with us. I know it’s hetro but it’s for Gus. He said no tomorrow he was going to sacrifice on the altar of the golden arches for us. I love that man.

We hang out and watch an action movie with Gus. When he fell asleep we had to drag him to bed. I look at the life we are living right now and wonder how we are dealing with it. Brian isn’t freaking out so that makes it easier.

BRIAN’S POV

 

I go to my attorney Gabe in the morning. I tell him that I don’t want this to turn into a war. He asked what I wanted. I told him that I wanted it in writing that I have authorized visitation and that Gus comes to me anytime the girls are incapable of taking care of him. I also want it in writing that if something happens to all three of us that Gus goes to Justin.

 

He told me that the amount of money I sent in one year to the girls is what a normal non-custodial parent would give in five. I told him my son will not want for things and the girls sometimes need help. He is trying to figure out why they would ask someone who had no rights for financial assistance. I repeated I didn’t care, my son will not want for things.

 

He said if the girls resist we might have to go to court, but if they agreed I would get what I want but he wants me to agree to a set amount on the child support. I was going to argue. He told me it is so they can’t come after me saying that I needed to give them more. I asked that if I did give them more was that a problem. He said that it was up to me.

 

I told him that Justin wanted to contact them first about this and try to keep it from causing Mel to think I was trying to piss her off. Gabe said that he could hold off as long as I wanted to. I asked to give us a week.

 

When I got to the park, Gus was kicking the ball to Justin and Justin kicked it back. Justin can play sports he doesn’t really like too. I take over and he sits and sketches. Gus gets hungry and wants to go. We go the golden arches and the boys are in heaven. I cheated, I ate a quarter pounder meal.

 

We get home and Gus tells me he wants to play a video game. That works because Justin and I need to talk. I tell Justin what is going on. He sits there for a second then asks me if I can watch Gus alone this weekend. He thinks it would be better if he talks to them in person. I want to tell him no, but I see his point.

 

I tell him we need to see if Gus wants to see the girls. At dinner, I ask Gus if he wants to see them. I also tell him that I am going to try to get partial custody of him. He asks what that means. I tell him that nothing will really change just that I will have the right to see him on paper and that if anything ever happens again that he comes to me or Justin without having to go through the court. Gus said that he wanted to go see them.

 

Justin tells me that we should visit first and then he will stay behind and talk to them. I hope girls can be reasonable about this. Gus needs to know that he has that security.