- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Lorie the beta want to smack Michael. I did too.

LINDSEY’S POV

 

We got home last night after fun day and sat and talked. It was just random things, nothing heavy. It was the first time in a long time that we had done that. I decided that this morning I would make breakfast.

 

The phone rang. It was Justin he told me that Gus wanted to come this weekend for a visit. I was excited, I miss the kids but we need to let them have peace before we called. He told me that Brian was coming to and that was even better. I need to talk to him.

 

Mel came into the kitchen and wanted to know who called and I told her that Brian and Justin were bringing Gus to visit us. She didn’t say anything at first. She looked at me and said that it will be great to see Gus.

 

The phone rang again and it was JR. She wanted to tell us about her last couple days. She sounds like she has been having fun. Mel smiled, listening to the excitement in her voice. She told us about the exhibit at the college and how Brian offered her a job after looking at her drawing.

 

Mel asked if she was coming with Gus this weekend. JR told us that she didn’t know that they were coming. JR told her to talk to Ben. Ben said that he didn’t know anything about it either but would check with Brian later. I hope that wasn’t a mistake but I want to see JR too.

 

MICHAEL’S POV

 

Ben has been really silent since he came home with JR yesterday. I was watching a Spiderman movie and just hanging out. He asked if I just got back from work. I told him no I took the day off. That is the last he has said to me since last night.

 

JR wanted to talk to the girls and I wasn’t thrilled about it. I told her to call in the morning, I thought she would forget. After breakfast she asks Ben if they can call. She seemed happy talking to them. Then she asked Ben if we were going to visit the moms this weekend. Ben asked to talk to the girls and I asked JR what that was about.

 

I couldn’t believe that Brian didn’t tell me that he was going to take Gus down there. I decided to go to Kinnetik and tell him we need to talk about this stuff. Ben said to let him find out and not to go running to Brian demanding answers. Ben needs to understand that Brian should have discussed this with us. JR is going to be upset that Gus gets to go and she doesn’t.

 

I left for work, JR is with mom today. Justin and I are working on the comic. JR wanted to come with me. I told her that we would be busy working and that she would get bored. Justin walked in and sat down at his desk. He was pulling out storyboards.

 

“JR talked to the girls and they told us that you were going down there this weekend. Why didn’t Brian call and tell me?” I know I sound upset but I am.

“We didn’t tell you because it was for Gus. JR can come if she wants. Brian and I talked to Gus last night and he wants to see them. I have some stuff to talk to the girls about.” Justin tells me.

 

“I don’t want JR to see them. If it wasn’t for them fighting, JR wouldn’t have had to sit in a police station all night. I haven’t said anything yet but I think that maybe she needs to stay here.” Justin shrugs and starts working.

 

“Brian should agree with me. Gus was hurt too.” I want him to see my point.

 

“Michael, they aren’t bad mothers. They fight like all of us. They took it to far. JR is mad at them and wants them punished for it. Give her another few weeks and she is going to want to go home.” He tells me.

 

“None of have landed in jail for having an argument. I want to do what is best for my daughter and right now I don’t think they are the best.” Justin needs to see that I am right.

 

JUSTIN’S POV

 

I should have expected this but, you know. Brian planned to tell them today but he needed to be at work. Gus wanted to hang out with Em today. Em was going with Drew to an autograph signing and Gus is a big football fan. Me, I get stuck with Michael.

 

I understand that he is still upset.  He doesn’t think I know about his night in jail, but I do.

“Michael when you were mad because Deb wanted to date Carl, didn’t you spend the night in jail for mouthing off?” I watch Michael waiting.

 

“That was different, I was pissed that she would date him after the way he acted.” He always tries to excuse himself.

 

“No you decided that you were mad and to hell with everyone. Instead of minding your own business, you hurt your mother and got Brian and Ted put in jail with you. Mel and Linds didn’t think of anybody and hurt the kids. It’s not the same but it is.” I tell him.

 

Michael can listen, it’s just he takes time. He nods but isn’t happy.

 

“I guess seeing JR isn’t going to hurt anything but I think I should go too.” Michael decides. Brian is going to go postal.

 

“Let’s wait and talk about it when we get together for dinner.” I tell him.

 

We work through the afternoon. The store gets busy so I leave. I have enough that I don’t need to see Michael tomorrow. I drive to Kinnetik to see if Brian was free. He was in a meeting so I went to see if Ted wanted to go to lunch.

Ted and I were walking out when Theresa and Brian were letting the clients out. Brian asked us to wait. Theresa was getting the clients information packets and leading them out. Ted and I walked into Brian’s office.

 

“Where are you to going?” Brian asked.

 

“Lunch, I came to see if you wanted to go, but you were busy so Ted said he would.” I tell him.

 

“I can go now if you are ready. I want to try the new bistro in town.” He always wants to go healthy.

 

We were getting ready to leave when Theresa comes in.

 

“Mr. Kinney, Leo Brown called and asked if you have time to see him next week in Chicago.” She asks him.

 

“Justin, you have anything planned for next week?” He asks.

 

I tell him no. He tells her to plan for him to be there on Monday and Tuesday. He tells her to get a suite with 2 rooms. She just stands there for a second, looking lost. Brian gets her attention and asks if she needs to write it down. She writes it down and then kind of fumbles out the door.

 

Ted is laughing and Brian is smirking. I tell them both they need to be nice to her. Brian scares people. Why are they both laughing? We walk out and I walk over to her and tell her not to let Brian scare her. She nods and runs off. Someday people will see Brian isn’t that bad.

 

When we sit down to lunch I decide to let him know about Michael.

 

“JR talked to the girls, and they asked if she was coming with us. Michael told me.” I tell Brian.

 

“That must have been fun this morning.” Ted says.

 

“He queened a bit and then said it was fine that JR come, but he thinks he’s coming.” I know that isn’t all but I really don’t want to deal with Brian hearing it.

 

“I already talk to Ben. He said that JR can come with us and that he’ll deal with Michael.” Brian thinks that will work.

 

“Brian, Michael isn’t going to let this go.” Ted is so smart.




BRIAN’S POV

 

“I honestly don’t care if Michael wants to bitch about it. I am doing this for Gus, not him. If he wants to go, he can buy a ticket and go. I can’t stop him. If he thinks I’m going to finance his bitching mission, he needs to think again. He has been bitching and moaning about how JR doesn’t appreciate him enough, but dumps her off on anybody who will take her. Yesterday, he could have gone with his family, but instead he has lunch with me and runs home to watch a movie he’s seen 50 times. Did I have fun? Not really, but Gus did and that is what counts. Justin makes time for Gus and JR and he sees it as Justin interfering with JR. I buy things for my kid and I am hurting him because he can’t buy JR everything. JR wanted a sketchbook, they cost five dollars. No, he can’t get her something that she would want to do with Justin. Ben talks to him, I talk to him, everyone does, it doesn’t get through to him that she is a little girl. I am done, my son is what I care about.” With that I stop.

 

I am tired of worrying if Michael’s feelings get hurt. I have more important things to worry about.

 

“Justin we are going home when Gus gets back, and Ben can deal with Michael. If JR can go, we’ll take her, but otherwise I’m done with it.”

 

TED’S POV

 

I have heard all sorts of speeches from Brian but normally they protect Michael and Justin. I think I need to go talk to Michael and see if I can get him to listen. Brian is right, Gus needs him. Did I just side with Brian?

 

I get they are all dealing with the fallout of Mel and Linds. Emmett calls it the ‘Battle of the Bulls’. I wonder how Ben is dealing with Michael acting like the old Mikey. It’s been years since we have had to deal with it. Change is hard for Michael and when something changes he runs to Brian and expects him to solve it. Brian usually indulges Michael.

 

Michael has to realize that this time Gus is going to come first.

JUSTIN’S POV

 

Can I just say WOW? Brian usually internalizes his feeling, so I think I can say that he’s done. I can’t help it, I do my happy dance in my head. Which is usually me and Brian naked. Michael will calm down and Brian will let it go. I know this is just about Gus and the talk we had the other night. He feels responsible for fighting with Mel. Gus thinks it’s his fault and Brian needs to take the pain away. Michael whining is just one thing too many.

 

We finish lunch and walk back to Kinnetik. I need Brian to relax. I walk into his office with him and drag him with me into the bathroom.

I left Kinnetik and Brian with a smile. Walking out, I wave to Cynthia and Theresa walking towards me. Theresa should reconsider heels if she trips so much.

 

Gus was going to be dropped off at the diner. I wanted to get him and go. Why can’t I get what I want once in this lifetime? Deb grabs me and ask why we didn’t tell anyone we were taking Gus to see the girls. I told her that I had an art thing to discuss with Lindsay and Gus wanted to see them so we planned to go. Deb told me that Michael expects to go too, and that I need to tell Brian that it’s a really bad idea.

 

I was surprised, usually Deb thinks Michael walks on water.

 

“Justin, he wants to go down there and cause a fight. He told me and Em he is thinking of suing again for custody. Michael isn’t thinking straight. I know what the girls did was stupid, but they are the moms. Kids need their mothers.” Deb tells me.

 

Deb believes mothers nurture like she does. She smoothers but she means well. I think with Michael, it was just the two of them, so she overcompensated and you have whiney Michael. The rest of us aren’t her kids, she helped us, was there when you needed her, but let us learn to solve our own problems. With Michael it was everyone doing for him.

 

“Brian already said if Michael wants to go, he can go by himself.” I tell her.

 

Deb nods and walks out of the diner. I wondered why she was here, she was off today. Guess Michael called to complain. Gus walks in and Emmett waves and leaves. Gus has on a Jersey and a hat. It looks like Drew had the team sign it for him.


I tell Gus his dad wanted to have dinner at home instead of at the diner. He said that while he was with Emmett, Michael called and told him about going to Florida this weekend. I told Gus that as far as I know it’s just the three of us, unless JR comes.