- Text Size +

MEL’S POV

 

We are back at Dr. Bradford’s office with notebooks in hand and ready. She gets us and tells us to have a seat. Today we are going to talk about our questions. She tells us to switch notebooks and read the questions and when we’re done she needs to see them.

 

I read them and there it is, why am I mad about the affair, Brian and her family. The one about did I still love her was sad. The last one, about moving back to Pittsburgh is one I asked myself. I hand it to Dr. Bradford and know that I need to make sure that we tell the truth. I want Lindsay and I to make it. I realized that yesterday. I also realized that blaming her and Brian didn’t excuse my behavior, but in order to fix this I also have to stop blaming everyone.

 

Lindsay finished and hand it over.

 

“Are you ready to answer, remember no ‘I think’, I need facts and you both need to tell each other.”

 

I swear it’s like Brian sitting there.

 

I decide to go first. She told us she would prompt the questions and we answer.

 

Why is Mel still mad about something that happened seven years ago?

 

“It’s because I met him and we had him to dinner and I was friendly to him. You let him into our lives and I was serving dinner to someone you had an affair with.”

 

Dr. Bradford asks if this answers her question. Lindsay nods yes.

 

What upsets Mel about Brian?

 

“I wonder, if Brian wasn’t gay would you be a lesbian? I don’t understand your need to tell him everything and not tell me. If he called, you would drop everything and run to him. You depend on him for everything and hide things from me when it involves Brian.” I tell her.

 

She starts to say something but Dr. Bradford tells her that she needs to only nod yes or no. She nods yes.

 

Why can’t Mel understand that although my family isn’t great, I can’t stop loving them?

 

“That is an easy one, Lindsay I don’t like that they hurt you. I know you love them and I don’t care if you love them. I just want you to stop trying to please them, when they just hurt you.” I tell her.

 

She nods without prompt.

Does she still love me?

 

“I will love you always. You are who I picture growing old with.” I almost cried at that question.

She nods again.

 

Why can’t we move back to Pittsburgh?

 

“I can’t live near Deb and Michael again. We can move close but not the same town if you want that. We never had a moment’s peace. I am willing, once we get done with counseling and Child Services.” I have been thinking about it but I want to be somewhere that everyone can’t just walk in all the time.

 

LINDSAY’S POV

 

I nodded and was smiling when she said that. I could live with being harder to reach but being close to see people we know.

 

Dr. Bradford told me it was my turn

 

When we fight why does she feel the need to bring up Brian?

 

“Before we met, Brian was the person who helped me. He listens and doesn’t judge me. You don’t do those things. Before I can even finish saying anything you start telling me your opinion.” I answer.

 

Mel nods

 

Why did she not tell me that she was asking Brian for money?

 

“We didn’t have money to pay bills and feed the kids. I knew that Brian would help but you would get pissed. I took the easy way out and didn’t tell you. It wasn’t just to prove Brian would provide better, it was to take care of us.” I refuse to excuse myself for taking care of the kids.

 

Why did she cheat with a man?

 

“I have so many ways to answer that but I am going to tell you what Justin told me. I was a shit and selfish, it was in heat of the moment, and when we were done, I walked away. If Sam had been a woman would it had been any better?” I look directly into Mel’s eyes.

 

She shakes her head. Then tells the doctor that it has been answered.

 

Did she regret the moves to Canada and Florida?

 

“Yes, because I think we keep trying to sweep our problems under a rug.” I don’t say anymore because to me that is the truth.

 

Dr. Bradford asked us about the parenting class and we explained what we came out with. She seemed happy that we paid attention and discussed it together. She asked how we spent the last two days and I told her the first day was hard. We didn’t talk to each other. The second day we discussed our biggest regrets and then decided to have a fun day.

 

She was impressed that we did that. She asked about the regrets and Mel said that the Canada move was done for the wrong reasons. I told her that giving up on my art. She asked if I still drew or painted at all. I shrugged and said yes. She asked then why did I think I gave up. I told her I never went to New York and tried. She said was that being an artist, or was that just wanting recognition.

 

We were on our way home, and I know now that I saw being an artist as fame and recognition.

 

Justin said that to him being an artist meant being able to create something.

 

“I think it’s time for me to just create for me.” I tell Mel.

 

“I think that is a wonderful idea.” She says smiling.

 

Dr. Bradford wanted us to continue with the questions but she wanted to focus on helping us to solve problems without fighting.

 

MICHAEL’S POV

 

After locking up I headed to the diner. I talked to Ma and Emmett and told them about Brian and this weekend. Ma said that maybe it would be best to just let JR go. I told her that I needed to be there in case JR had any problems. Emmett just said that I needed to make sure that I was doing it for JR.

 

I walked in and saw Ben, but no one else. Everyone must be running late. Ben told me he ordered for us already.

 

“Is Brian running late?” I ask.

 

“No, He said to tell you that he needed to be with Gus.” Ben tells me.

 

Brian needs to talk to me about this weekend and he isn’t getting out of it. I pick up my phone and call him. It goes to voicemail. I try Justin and the same. I was about to call their house phone when Ben takes my phone.

 

“Brian isn’t going to discuss this with you because it has nothing to do with you. I told them that

JR can go. Before you say anything. She wants to see her mothers. I think that is a good thing. You need to think of her first and your feelings second.” Ben tells me.

 

“JR needs me to be there if something happens. She thinks that it is going to be all fun. I don’t want the girls to do anything to hurt her.” I tell him.

 

Doesn’t he realize that the girls shouldn’t get a free pass. I am going to be there and they are going to listen to me. I decided today that I want to see a lawyer about custody.

 

“Michael she has been here for 3 days and you have spent a total of 15 hours with her. You could have been with us yesterday but instead you stayed home. If you want to be a part time parent, then you’re doing fine. You need to take this weekend and figure out how you are going to take care of her.” Ben tells me.

 

BEN’S POV

 

Michael seems to think that if his mom or I are with JR then he has done his job. When I came home and found out that he had stayed home, I knew that if I said anything it was going to be bad. It took till this morning for me to calm down.

 

I want him to see that he isn’t going to win father of the year. JR doesn’t care if she has fun. Michael has to understand that he can’t leave us to take care of her when she doesn’t do what he wants. I talked to Deb earlier and she told me about him saying he wanted custody. I can’t support that.

 

“I’m not perfect like Justin and I don’t dump her on people. She has fun at Ma’s house and you didn’t ask me to go.” Michael is really not thinking.

 

“What did Justin do, he took her to his house, she swam, ate and played. It wasn’t complicated

Michael. I don’t see anything that you couldn’t do. If you wanted to that is.” I want him to understand this is about him.

 

“Brian should have been here tonight we need to talk about how to help the kids.” Michael is grasping now.

 

TED’S POV

 

I walked into hear Michael trying to make it sounds like Brian owes it to him to be here. You know what, I think I’ll take a page out of Justin’s book. Michael waves me over.

 

“Ted, don’t you think that if it involves the kids, Brian should be here?” He wants me to agree

 

I shrug and look over a menu I know by heart.

 

“Ted why aren’t you saying anything?” Michael tries again.

 

“I don’t have a dog in this fight. I came to get something to eat.” I tell him.

 

Ben smiles and I know that Michael really wants to go because he thinks Brian is going to back him up. After lunch today, I know Brian is done with it. Ben needs all of us to let him deal with his husband so instead of trying to get involved I am going to order to go.

 

BRIAN’S POV

 

My cell had 7 calls from Michael but I wanted to go home hang out with Gus and Justin. I got home and they made roasted chicken and all the sides. I had a salad and the chicken. Gus was bursting about meeting football players from all the teams and that Drew got him a jersey and had everyone sign it.

 

Justin told me that he got the flight for Friday afternoon. Ben called and said that JR is going and not to worry. I wanted it just to be us three but JR needs to see them too.

 

Michael called again and then called Justin’s phone. We switched them off. I told Gus that I wanted to go swimming. We all got in and relaxed for the evening. No drama.

 

MICHAEL’S POV

 

Ben told me that JR is going and I don’t need to make it into a big issue. We picked her up and came home. She was excited about going so I backed off.

 

I waited until 8 AM, then headed to Kinnetik. Brian is not going to ignore me. I knew that Ben wasn’t going to like this. I brought JR with me since everyone acts like I am ignoring her. When Brian sees me he told me to go into his office. He asked JR if she wanted to see the art department. Cynthia took her.

 

“Tell me that you just want to give me a list of things JR is allergic to.” Brian thinks this is a joke.

 

“Brian, I came to talk to you. You want to take my daughter back to see her mothers, don’t you think as her father I should be there?” I tell him.

 

“Michael I didn’t say you couldn’t go. Buy a ticket and arrange to go. You’re an adult, you can do that. I just said that I was going. My son wants to see his mothers, I am taking him. Nothing to talk about.” Brian starts looking at things on his desk.

 

“I thought we could go together. You know, to support each other and the kids.” Michael seems to think I need him to hold my hand.

 

“If you get on the same flight and book the same hotel I guess it will be like we went together.” Brian picks up the phone and tells them to bring in the boards.

 

“If that’s all, I need to get to work.” He dismissed me.

 

I get up and walk out. I can’t believe that he is acting like it doesn’t matter if I’m there. I started walking down the sidewalk. I need to talk to Ma, maybe she can make them see that I need to be there. Ben isn’t listening. My daughter needs me. What kind of father isn’t there when she is going to have to deal with the girls. I refuse to not think of my daughter’s needs.

 

My phone rings, it’s Brian. I knew he would change his mind.

 

“Michael did you forget something when you left.” He asks me.

 

“No, did you realize that you should have invited me to go with you.” I ask.

 

“Nope, but you know I can have Justin take JR for the day if you were going to leave her here.” Brian tells me.

 

I turn around and tell him that JR can go with them. I need to do a lot of thinking this weekend.