- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Once again into the breach.

LINDSAY’S POV

 

We went home after our appointment with the counselor and had to get ready for the first parenting class. We were told to write down any questions that we wanted to ask. It sounded like an easy assignment. I sat at the table with the notebook we each have for our sessions. She told us to write the questions with space to write if we felt it was answered.

 

My questions were:

 

Why is Mel still mad about something that happened seven years ago?

 

What upsets Mel about Brian?

 

Why can’t Mel understand that although my family isn’t great I can’t stop loving them?

 

Does she still love me?

 

Why can’t we move back to Pittsburgh?

 

I stop with those questions. I feel like, if I write any more the next question might be, why do I care? I still love Mel, but I feel like all we do is hurt each other with the things we are afraid to say. I left the session more upset than before I went.

 

MEL’S POV

 

I went into my office to write my questions. It was a hard session because Dr. Bradford wants facts. She reminds me of Brian’s motto of no excuses. I didn’t want to say what really caused the fight. It was that Lindsay brought Sam home for dinner and introduced us. I know it was long after that night that anything happened. I even greeted the man like a friend until I saw the way they were talking to each other outside.

 

My questions were:

 

When we fight why does she feel the need to bring up Brian?

 

Why did she not tell me that she was asking Brian for money?

 

Why did she cheat with a man?

 

Did she regret the moves to Canada and Florida?

 

I think those are some of the hardest questions I need answers to first. I don’t put the one I really need an answer to. Do you even want to be together any longer? I hope that we manage to fix us.

GUS’S POV

 

It’s funny how Justin didn’t realize that Dad bought him a car. Dad and I went to the Mercedes Dealership. We didn’t have to wait he pre-ordered the GL 350 BlueTec so that he could have it for Justin today.

 

We took it shopping because it had room for things. Dad wanted me to get new clothes because he wants me to understand style. I wanted toys. We shopped and shopped and shopped some more. If Justin thinks what is in the back was bad, wait till the other stuff shows up.

Justin and I were going to go to the house, but then he said that we need energy if we are going to unload the car. I think he wanted to show off the car. He called Aunty Em to meet us for lunch. We pulled up to the diner, Debbie was out throwing away garbage. She saw us and walk over to the car.

 

“Good lord Justin, I think I need to suck….” Debbie looked at me. “Kiss Brian more if this is the result.”

 

“He thought we needed a bigger car since JR and Gus are here for the summer.” Justin tells her.

 

“Justin, a car is one thing but a seven seater, Mercedes is another. I love it Baby.” Aunty Em tells Justin.

 

We all look at the car, Em looked at the back. Justin shakes his head.

 

“Em, I’m not going to look at the stuff in there. He said that he wanted to get Gus essentials and I have to believe that or I will go nuts.” Justin tell Em.

 

“Baby, you need to just look at this as a compromise, for Brian.” Em is trying to keep the peace.

 

“Justin, Dad brought you stuff too.” I’m trying to help but he rolled his eyes.

 

We walk in to sit down and JR is here by herself. I go sit with her she is coloring a paper place mat.

 

“Hey, why are you here?” I thought she would be with her dad.

 

“I got bored sitting in the comic shop. Dad didn’t have any toys or anything for me to do there. When we came for lunch Granny Deb said she would watch me till she gets off.” JR tells me.

 

I don’t get that Dad and Justin worked it out so I am with them. Grandma Jen even offered to help. I look at Justin and he picks up his phone leaving us to order lunch. He comes back and asks JR if she wants to come back with us to the house. JR wanted to go, more because she is in love with Justin than any other reason.

 

Debbie told Justin that she was getting off soon and he didn’t have to take JR. JR looked like she was about to cry. Justin tells Debbie that if she and Em want to come over we were going to go swimming and maybe we could barbeque tonight. Everyone starts planning.

 

JUSTIN’S POV

 

When we got to the diner, I didn’t think much of JR being there. When Gus asked her, and she told him about not having anything to do. I need to talk to Brian.

 

“Kinnetik, how can I direct your call?” It’s Theresa.

 

“Hey Theresa, it’s Justin is Brian busy?” I ask and it’s silent. “Are you still there?”

 

“Yeah, I mean yes. I, can you like, I mean I’ll connect you.” She says then hangs up on me.

 

I called Brian again, this time Cynthia picks up and connects me. I think they need to help Theresa.

 

“Hey Justin.” He is laughing about something. I hear Cynthia laughing to.

 

“Hey, I’m going to bring JR over with me to the house. She is bored and I think Gus and her would have fun in the pool. I can paint outside while they swim, and Gus has someone to swim with.” I need him not to get angry Michael isn’t a planner and needs some help with JR.

 

“Don’t think I don’t know what you’re doing. If you want to take her home fine, but they take her home tonight. We have a child to think of too.” He tells me.

 

We say goodbye and I head back to the table. After talking to Debbie, I now have a barbeque going. I am going to owe Brian so many blow jobs for this.

 

I have a larger attachment to JR then Brian. I was their babysitter and playmate as they were growing up. I made sure that they knew I would be there because my sperm donor wasn’t. If Ben were watching JR then it would be different. Ben would have planned for them to do things.

 

Michael loves comics so to him sitting in a store reading them is nirvana. If JR was a boy that might have been great but she’s not.

 

Em, Gus, JR and I get in the car to go to the house. I also have to stop and pick up food. I look at the back and I guess home first, food second. When we get home, Cal, the gardener is there. Cal helps us unload I tell them to just put everything in laundry room for now.

 

The kids get dressed for the pool and Em starts planning the food. He told me he would watch the kids and I could go to the store. I figure that I better call Brian.

“Kinnetik, how may I direct your call.” Theresa answers.

 

I handed the phone to Emmett to see if he got better results than I did. He asked for Brian and surprise, was put thru no hassle.

 

“Brian if I promise to blow you, will you promise to listen?” The key to this is distraction.

 

“What did you do, adopt a kid from China?” Brian is always a smart ass.

 

“No but I did invite everyone over tonight for a barbeque.” I cringe waiting for him to explode.

 

“I want shrimp and chicken. I also want you to tell Michael we need to talk before he leaves.” That was it, no yelling, no “I’m not coming home”. I’ll take it.

 

“Already on the list, Em is planning the menu.” I figure I might as well make sure he knows when I said everyone it meant everyone.

 

“Call your mother and Daphne, they won’t be happy if they weren’t invited and I’ll tell Ted.” He hangs up.

 

“How did it go?” Em asks.

 

“He seemed okay with it.” I tell him.

 

I grab the list and my car keys, I need to get this done it’s almost 5 and everyone is going to be here by 7. I am a fast shopper, I grab what I need and go. I think it comes from shopping with my mother and Brian, they take hours to make decisions. Me, if it fits, I buy it. Brian said that explains my clothes.

 

I get in the store and out in 30 minutes. I drive back and Em shoos me outside. While I was gone Debbie got Ben to come over with her. Ben is sitting watching the kids.

 

“How did you end up with JR and a barbeque?” Ben asks me.

 

“Gus would have been bored and JR was bored.” I tell him.

 

“Brian say anything about it?” Ben asks me.

 

“Just that we have shrimp and chicken and that he wanted to talk to Michael later.” I tell Ben.

Ben nods, I can tell he wasn’t thrilled that Michael was already having problems with JR.

 

BRIAN’S POV

 

I could have gotten pissed about JR and the barbeque, but I think that Michael needs to understand that JR needs more than to sit in a corner at the shop. I know Justin really doesn’t care and would just take JR all summer. It’s not about JR so much as Gus.

 

Gus needs to know that he is the most important thing to me. I can’t do that if JR needs the same. I won’t neglect any kid. I just think it’s better if it comes from Michael and I. Justin and Ben give them equal time and love. It’s great that they do, but a kid needs one person that they know loves them more.

 

I think that is why I was so hard on Justin. I needed him to prove to me that he loved me more. I did a shitty job when the fiddler came along. I made everything more important than him. It didn’t excuse the cheating, but I understand why it happened. Justin told me it happened because he was a shit and being selfish.

 

We learned to talk to each other, even if it hurts. I think that is what is wrong with the girls, each time they cheated they never talked about it, just keep getting back together and moving on. Wait, when did I become a lesbian.

 

I packed up for the day at 5:30, Justin owes me a blow job. On the way home, I called Michael and asked if he needed a ride. He said Carl was on his way. I thought about talking to him before we go to the house but I think it would be better after. Ted and I talked about it, he said that if I wanted Michael pouting all over the place, then do it before.

 

Ted is a good friend, not my best, but he straightened out his life. I can say that I am glad I hired him, and he’s my sounding board for everything but Justin. He told me only one thing about the NY situation. Grow up and realize that Justin loves me. I listened.

 

I called Justin to see if we needed anything else. He told me it’s all covered. I told him he had 20 minutes to be in the bedroom waiting, I was going to start taking payment.

 

JR’S POV

 

I love my dad but you know, I’m 9, I want to do girl stuff. My dad is a comic geek, he lives and breathes them. I want to create the art. I told mama(Mel) that I think I want to be an artist like Justin, she patted me on the head and said that most artist never make a living. Mommy walked by and I could tell it upset her. Dad said that I was too young to know what I want. Ben offered to pay for lessons.

 

I love Justin, because he just handed me a sketchbook and pencil and we drew together. He also told me that art is what you like, not everyone else. Mommy loves Justin because she said that it’s easier to work on her art with him. He sees any creation as art.

I asked Mommy why she doesn’t do like Justin and sketch and paint all the time. She said that she can draw, but never could create the way Justin could. When I asked what she meant, she said that a nice picture doesn’t sell but the vision of the artist does. I didn’t get it.

 

I called Justin later and asked him. He told me that sometimes people don’t believe in themselves enough and are afraid to fail. When you try you have to know that not everyone was going to like what you do. You have to be able to take the good with the bad and keep going. I love Justin because he doesn’t talk down to us. He just makes it so we can understand.

 

Dad and Grandma, tend to treat me like I am still too little for anything. Ben is like Justin, but he talks a little above my head. Uncle Brian is great, but not a lot of fun. Justin would play Barbie with me, Uncle Brian just bought the accessories.

 

I miss the moms but I am still mad that they can’t stop fighting. Gus told me that I went too far with the social worker but I didn’t care. I can’t call them Mel and Linds like he is. I want to stay with my Pittsburg family, at least there is someone to call if we get in trouble. Plus, I can be around Justin. Maybe when I grow up he will decide to like me back.