- Text Size +
Story Notes:

 

 

 

Don't know why, but this bubbled out today from nowhere. 

Call the Mom in your life and tell her you love her.

 

 

 

 

What do you say when the mother of your heart asks you to take her to dinner?

You say yes. You say yes because you know you haven’t made enough time for her lately and she never asks for your time.


What do you say when she requests the most expensive restaurant in the the tri-state area?

You say yes. You say yes because you know that she could never afford it on her own, nor can anyone else in her life but you and you didn’t make the time to see her on Mother’s Day.


What do you say when she asks if it could just be the two of you?

You say yes. You say yes because you can hear something in her voice that tells you she needs it that way and you suspect that you will too.


What do you say when you pick her up and she is dressed to the nines and she asks if she looks okay?

You say yes. You say yes, and smile at her as you walk her to your car, arm around her waist, and try not to notice that the dress and the makeup can’t hide the pounds lost or the pallor of grey.


What do you say when she orders a bottle of Dom and laughs that big laugh when you roll your eyes at the extravagance and she brags to the sommelier that you can afford it?

You say yes. You say yes, because you CAN afford it and it seems a trivially small amount to pay for your neglect.


What do you say when she wants to order every dessert on the menu after dinner because she can’t decide which one she wants to try the most?

You say yes. You say yes and order every fucking dessert they can create because somewhere inside you, you realize what she is doing.


What do you say when she offers you a bite of every single one, holding out her fork so you can taste the decadence of her memory-making?

You say yes. You say yes and open your mouth like a child and let her feed you whatever she wishes because it makes her happy and in the end, when it is all over, it will help you to feel happier too.


What do you say when you realize that she has decided not to fight it anymore, that she is tired and wants to spend her time enjoying what she has and living in the moment?

You say yes. You say yes, because a long time ago you made the same decision and understand exactly what it means to her.


What do you say when you sit alone in the same restaurant two months later all alone?

You say yes. You say yes. You say yes. You say yes. Bring the Dom. Bring the most expensive dinner. Bring every dessert you have.


And as you eat in silence, tasting every one, you say yes to the memory your Mother made for you.

The End.
Saje is the author of 11 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 1 members. Members who liked What Do You Say? also liked 6 other stories.