- Text Size +

 

 

 

DEBBIE POV

 

I just sat back, because all my boys are happy. When Mel returned, I wanted to get involved, but Michael asked me not to. I respected him and was just going to be happy my grandchildren were here. But the gloves are coming off.

 

Linds doesn’t get to come into my diner and bring her problems here. I was sitting with Mel, JR, and Gus, having lunch. Gus started school and wanted to eat here today. Mel wanted to take the kids out for a mommy day. We were talking about the other night and making plans for dinner at my house tomorrow. We wanted to have a small celebration dinner for Brian and Justin. Jen was on her way to join us.

 

Linds comes in the door and heads straight for us.

 

“Lambskin, do you miss Mommy? I missed you, no one allowed me to see you. Come here and give me a hug.” Linds says, ignoring everyone else at the table.

 

“Hi, Mom.” Gus doesn’t get up just side hugs her.

 

“Did your dad tell you that I wanted you to visit me at your grandparents' house? Wouldn’t that be fun?” Linds asks Gus, speaking to him like there is no one else there.

 

“I don’t know the grandparents, Mom. I would rather stay with Dad and Mama right now. If you want to meet here to see JR and me, that would be okay.” Gus tells her.

 

“I want to be able to talk to you without so much noise Gus. We haven’t been allowed to see each other.” Linds is persistent.

 

Gus looks around and there is one other person here right now, and the only noise is his mother. I look at Mel. She is playing with JR and ignoring her former partner.

 

“Mom, I’m back in school near where Dad lives and I go early in the morning. The only time that we could see each other is around now. You could meet me here or at Uncle Michael’s shop.” Gus tells her.

 

Linds is starting to turn red and I can tell that she is going to say something. I will not allow her to put Gus through anymore. Mel looks and shakes her head at me.

 

MEL’S POV

 

I sit here listening to Linds trying to convince Gus that not only should he go to his grandparents' house, but that Brian and I do not allow her to see him. She hasn’t even asked to see him. The only attempt to see Gus was when the police came to the house. I promised myself that the kids could see her if they wanted to.

 

“Mom, we can go sit at the booth in the corner if you want to talk.” Gus is trying.

 

“Are they telling you not to spend time with me?” Linds asks Gus.

 

“No. Dad and Mama told me if I wanted to see you they would make it possible. I just haven’t wanted to see you.” Gus looks straight at his mother.

 

Linds turns to me and I can see that she wants to hurt everyone at the table. I am about to get Deb to get the kids out of the line of fire. I feel a hand on my shoulder. I look up to see Jen standing there.

 

“Sorry to be late. I sold a house and had some paperwork to fill out.” Jen tells everyone.

 

Jen asks Linds to move over a little and asks Deb and Gus to slide over. She seats herself, so Gus isn’t at the end next to Linds. Jen asks Gus about school and tells JR she has something for her. Then tells Deb that she found a knickknack for her at a market. She turns to look at Linds.

 

“Linds, sorry about ignoring you, how are you today?” Jen says politely.

 

“I was trying to spend some time with my son. It seems that he doesn’t want to spend any time with me.” Linds tells Jen.

 

“Gus, is that true?” Jen turns to Gus.

 

“No Nana. I told her I would talk to her in the booth over in the corner.” Gus doesn’t look at Linds but at Jen.

 

“Linds, why not sit with Gus and talk to him?” Jen asks her.

 

Linds doesn’t respond to Jen, she just walks over to the booth and sits. Gus goes over there to sit with her.

 

LINDSAY’S POV

 

I can’t believe Gus refused to go with me. I know my mother wouldn’t be happy that he came to live with us. I need to get Gus to agree to come with me.

 

I asked how school was going. Gus said, 'it’s school'. I told him that no matter what anybody said, I never wanted him to live away from me. Gus shrugged. I was getting angry at the way he isn’t talking.


“Gus, you know when your Dad has his new child, that he isn’t going to be able to give you as much attention. He will need to spend time with the baby. I want you to know that I will be there for you. I’m not saying your Dad doesn’t love you, it’s just that babies need a lot of attention.” I don’t want to say anything that will come off as Brian not wanting him.

 

“You mean like you and Mama when JR was born? Dad and I talked about it Mom, he told me that other than eating, sleeping, and using the bathroom, babies don’t do much. Mama said Dad and Jus might be a little sleep deprived, but everyone wants to help.” Gus tells me.

 

“Do you know when the baby is due? Have you met the woman who is having it?” I was hoping to get him to tell me some information.

 

“I think Jus said five months more or less. I wasn’t paying attention.” Gus tells me.

 

I was hoping that he knew a little more. I was about to ask him more questions when Deb came and asked if we needed anything. Gus looked at me and said that he wanted to go to eat his lunch. He scooted out and went back to the other table.

 

I had been coming by the diner to see if Brian or Justin were here. I looked and saw Mel and the kids. I wanted to try to convince Gus to come with me. Gus doesn’t seem to want to. When he walked off to sit with Mel and Jen, I wanted to go over and tell him that he was coming with me whether he wanted to or not.

 

Jen got up and walked over to me.

 

“Linds, if you want to join us you can. I can change sides and you can sit with your children. No one would want to deny you the right to see your children.” Jen is like my mother. She can talk down to you without seeming to.

 

“I wouldn’t want to ruin your perfect happy family moment. How does it feel to be old enough to be a grandmother?” I said, in the same tone Jen did.

 

“It feels wonderful. I thought I would have to wait for Molly to have a child to be one. Between Gus, JR, and the new one, I told Molly to take her time and have fun.” Jen tells me.

 

“Well if you aren’t going to join us, I’d better get back. I’ll have to let Nancy know I saw you here. Tell her I said Hi.” Jen says as she walks back to the booth.

 

I get up and go. I hope that she doesn’t say anything to my mother. Mother wouldn’t be happy about me coming here. I told Mother that I was going to see Sydney about a job, not trying to find Brian. I called Sydney and was told that he filled my vacancy and didn’t have anything available. Sydney wasn’t thrilled with the way I left after Sam.

 

 

BRIAN’S POV

 

Justin and Daphne were going by the gallery and then meeting me for lunch today. They wanted to go to the diner. Daphne wanted to see Deb. I told them I would meet them. I was walking toward it when I spotted Linds coming out. She was looking for something in her purse and didn’t see me at first.

 

I looked at her, this woman who used to be a caring mother and my friend. I don’t see it anymore. Linds is dressing and acting like her mother. I never understood that about her. She would be in a pair of jeans and a tee shirt, hair in a sloppy bun and would be happy. Now she looks brittle, cold, and unfeeling.

 

She sees me and walks towards me. I see Justin and Daphne pulling up. Justin walks over and kisses me. Linds looks pointedly at Justin and asks if she can talk to me alone. Justin looks at me, I nod. He drags Daphne behind him. Daphne wants to say something, but Justin tells her no.

 

“What do you want Linds?” I ask her.

 

“I want Gus to be allowed to visit with me.” She tells me.

 

“Gus can see you anytime he wants to. He knows we will make it possible. If that’s all, I’m having lunch now.” I keep my conversation with her relevant, no friendly banter.

 

“I think we need to talk about this situation. Brian, I was upset that you didn’t come to me and ask me to have a child with you. It would have been good that Gus had a sibling fully related to him. We could have all lived together if you wanted to play a larger part in the kids' lives.” Linds tells me.

 

“Linds, I wanted a child with Justin, not with you and Justin. We decided that we wanted to be full-time parents without having extra people involved. The surrogate isn’t the mother, just a place to grow the baby. I’m telling you so you will stop bothering everyone else. One other thing. Justin would most likely burn down the house I bought for him if you moved in.” I tell her, and leave her on the sidewalk.

 

Justin and Daphne are on the side of the building listening and trying not to make noise. I open the door to let them in. Linds looks at Justin.

 

“You know, I was the one who helped you become an artist. You wouldn’t be where you are without me. You really need to fire Sarah, and I can help you find a better agent.” Linds tells Justin.

 

“Linds, I was an artist before I met you. I would have been an artist without meeting you. I thank you for all your encouragement, but I can’t give you any credit beyond that. As for Sarah, she is one of the top agents in the world. Who do you know that could top that? Do you know any agents?” Justin asks her and walks away.

I follow them in and wonder how Justin held back. He is normally snarky when people piss him off. He was almost nice. I asked him about it when I sat down. Justin tells me that Linds tried the same thing on Michael and told me what Michael said to Linds. Justin said that nothing we say matters to her anymore.


Gus and JR mob us. Daphne tells Justin that she found this farmer who can make fruit grow in the shape of a penis on trees. I looked at Daphne and told her no more. I have no problem with the sex garden, but nothing that we might end up on the news over.