- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

It will be late tomorrow or the next day for my next post.

GUS’S POV

 

I got home and Mom is trying to call Dad. He isn’t answering her. She asks me if I have talked to him. I tell her that he told me that he was going to be busy. She tells me that I should call him and tell him that it was important and that he shouldn’t be too busy for me. What she really means is he shouldn't be too busy for her.

 

I love my mom, but she is being selfish. I tried to talk to Mama, but she said to give Mom time. Time for what? I don’t understand, she is married to Mama but is constantly after Dad. I asked Ben and he said that the move was hard. Michael told me that if I need to talk, that he was there. Emmett said Mom has permanent PMS.

 

I talked to Dad, he said not to worry about the adults. He and Mama want me to worry about kid stuff. Justin said that Mom feels left out of things. He thinks that she wants to be the center of attention and in Canada she doesn’t have an audience anymore. Justin tries to stay out of it. He and Mom don’t talk a lot.

 

She uses me when she wants to talk about it. I just play games and ignore her. I learned how to nod and make agreeing noises.

 

I called Dad because if I don’t she is going to hound me till I do. Dad answered and asked if everything was alright. I told him I just wanted to say hi. Mom grabs the phone.

 

“Brian, I have been trying to call you. No. Everything is fine. I called to talk. You are always so busy. You can talk for a couple of minutes, can’t you? Okay, call me back when you have time. I want to talk about something.” Mom hands me the phone.

 

Mama comes in and I get to be free of Mom. I tell Mama I will be in my room doing homework. Ben and Michael are coming and we are going to play tourist together.

 

MEL’S POV

 

Gus is running from Linds again. I guess it’s my turn to deal with her. I wonder why I agreed to get back together. My problem is I love her and I want us to work. I thought when we moved that she would find friends and join the community here. Instead, she was all about Justin’s career and Brian not calling enough.

 

I know it’s bad when I want to take the intern up on her offer. Linds can’t spend one day without bitching about Justin. I want to turn around and walk out. Instead, I smile and ask how Michael and Ben are.

 

“They came and picked up JR. They said they would be back later to get Gus. I think we should talk about the baby idea when they leave.” Linds tells me.

 

I want to say that we are barely making it and another baby would be too expensive. She would just suggest asking Brian to help out more. My real reason is that our relationship is barely surviving. I know we are heading towards the end. I don't even want to be in the same house anymore. I think I know that we don't want the same things. She wants to be her mother.

 

“We need to worry about the children we already have. Linds, you and I need to decide whether our relationship is what we want.” I finally say it.

 

“What are you talking about? I moved with you, I gave up my happiness for you. What is this about Mel? Maybe you want someone else, is this your way of telling me?” Linds' voice is raising with each sentence.

 

She is about to say more but someone is at the door. She tells me this isn’t over and goes to answer the door. I am just relieved for the interruption.

 

MICHAEL’S POV

 

We were coming to pick up Gus. I noticed the door open just a little. When I started to walk in, I hear Mel asking Linds if they should stay together. I was going to shut the door, but I’m nosy. After listening, I know we need to get Gus out before they really start. I close the door and knock.

 

Linds answers and is acting like everything's normal. Ben invites them to dinner, and before Linds can say anything, Mel says yes. I guess we offered her a reprieve from Linds. I don't blame her. I tried to argue with Jennifer once, and you don't win. WASP women can make you feel like you’re two years old. Linds learned it well.

 

Gus told us that he had to finish his math homework and then he was done. We sat around and tried to make conversation.

 

“How is Hunter doing?” Mel is being so polite.

 

“He is taking two night courses at the community college. He is almost done, but he’s been going nonstop so he wants an easy semester.” I want to hurry Gus because this is painful.

 

“Good for Hunter. How's Deb?” Mel keeps going.

 

“Great.” I can't think of anything else to say.

 

I suggested they get ready. Mel is up the steps and Linds is behind her. I wanted to ask Ben why he invited them. I think he just wanted to keep the peace. JR was playing in the corner with her dollhouse. Everybody was ready so we go out to eat. I hope we don’t have to try to have a normal conversation. We didn’t do well at it.

 

BEN’S POV

 

After the dinner, Michael and I made it so our visits were to just pick up the kids and leave. Gus told us that so far everything has been quiet. Mel asked if she could talk to us before we leave. I tell her that she can drive us to the airport. I think that Mel is at her wit's end and she doesn’t even know why yet.

 

She picked us up about three hours early, so I have to wonder, does she have a lot to say or is she escaping Linds?

 

“I want to know how you feel about having some house guests? I can’t stay here anymore. I know I can take JR with me but I don’t know about Gus. I want to bring him, but Linds might fight me on it.” Mel finished, and we can see she needs this.

 

“We are going to be gone but Hunter is home and we’ll let him know to expect you. Are you sure this is what you want?” I ask.

 

“Do you need us to stay home?” Michael asks.

 

“No. Go on your trip. I’m going to need a couple of weeks. I called my old firm and they said they would make room for me. I have to work as a paralegal until I get qualified. I want you to let Brian know. She is probably is going to call him and make it sound like I’m deserting her. I tried guys, but three years and this is how it’s been. Now she wants to have another baby. It’s not going to help our marriage to bring another child into it.” Mel has thought this through.

 

“Mel, we weren’t going to say anything, but the baby thing is because Brian and Justin are going to have one. She mentioned it to us and then thought that they were going to ask her. They went with a surrogate. The baby is due in six months.” I want Mel to know all the facts.

 

“Oh God, that explains so much. I’m done with her. I can’t keep being her substitute for Brian. She wouldn’t want Justin’s child. Brian’s baby absolutely. I don’t want to deal with her when she finds this out.” Mel is a mess.

 

“Mel, concentrate on leaving, if you need anything, call Ted. I’ll let him know what’s going on and he can help you if you need it. I know Brian will authorize anything you need. I’ll call him and tell him. He is probably going to call you back.” Michael tells her.

 

We get up to go and part of me wants to stay, she is going to need the family.

 

BRIAN’S POV

 

I was asleep when the phone rang. I got up and left Justin to sleep the sleep of the dead. I’ve been ignoring the phone. I want us to have fun and not worry. Ted and Cynthia know how to reach me. It was Michael calling.

 

Michael tells me about the latest muncher drama. I was kind of listening. But you know, looking at Justin naked is distracting.

 

“Brian, listen to me. Linds thinks you are going to ask her for another kid. Mel is leaving her. Did you get that part or are you looking at Justin's ass?” Michael can be such a drama queen.

 

“Justin’s ass is more exciting. Is Mel really leaving, or is this just a muncher meltdown?” I need clarification. They are always leaving each other.

 

“She is leaving. Linds is too busy trying to be your baby mama. Mel said that she is taking JR but doesn’t know if she can take Gus. We are going to let her stay at our house.” Michael tells me.

 

I have partial custody of Gus. We did it because when he stays with me, I needed authority to take him to the hospital. In that paperwork, either Mel or Linds can make decisions on Gus, but they can’t override me. If Mel is leaving, she is taking Gus. I don’t trust Linds to do what’s best for him.

 

I ask if we need to come home. Michael said Mel wouldn’t be in Pittsburgh until we got home. She wanted us to enjoy ourselves. I tell Michael we might as well since it will be hell when we get home. I tell Michael I will see him in Italy.

 

It’s two in the morning here, so it’s nine at night there. Guess it's time to see what is going on. I dial Mel with Justin’s phone. Linds would try to take the phone if it’s me.

 

“Justin?” Mel asks.

 

“No, it’s me. Can you talk?” I want to make sure that Linds isn’t listening.

 

“I’m not at home. I told Linds that I have a late client meeting.” Mel tells me.

 

“Are you really leaving, or is this where we separate and get back together after the drama?” I will not help if we have to go through this again.

 

“Brian, this is me officially calling it quits. I tell myself I love her, but it isn’t ringing true. I didn’t know that the reason she suddenly wants a child is that she thinks you’re going to ask her. She started asking as soon as Gus came home. I can’t stay anymore. I want to take Gus too. I don’t want her using him.” Mel is serious.

 

I tell her that she can take Gus. I’ll notify Cynthia to have my lawyer available to give my permission. I told her that before she leaves, to call me and we can discuss where she is going. She tells me she’ll call me when I get home. That gives me time to talk to Justin.

 

I wake Justin up. I need to forget this for a little while. We can talk in the morning.