- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

I tried to inject some humor, but well, I am on a bashing streak right now.

Sorry I was reading chapter one to make sure I didn't screw up anything. It's fixed, thanks for letting me know.

GUS’S POV

 

I am so tired. If you have ever ridden a bus you know it’s not the best way to travel. Pop is right, I should have called, but I needed time to think. I was angry at my Mom who stood there and did nothing. When Mel started ranting that I was just like my father, I yelled “What, born to support you?” Mel threw the paperweight she had in her hand. I don’t know who it surprised more, her that it hit me, or me that she threw it directly at me. The books were flying everywhere. One even hit Mom.

 

Mel and Mom have never gotten along. I spent most of my childhood being shuffled from one place to another. Mel hates my father and in turn blames me, because Mom still wants Dad. I don't get it, Dad is gay. He has never shown any inclination that women interest him. Mom seems to think that if she likes both, that Dad could too. Mom uses Dad as a way to get back at Mel.

 

I love how they both act like they are better than Dad and Pop. Pop told me that he and Dad used to have an open relationship. Pop said that they never would have made it at the time if they had been monogamous, because Pop was young and exploring his sexuality. To me that’s better than the moms and their constant cheating.

 

Pop is the one I talk to if it’s going to be bad. He’s more easy going and can be silly when you need it. When they adopted Mia and Chad I was only 10 and worried that Pop and Dad wouldn't have time for me.

 

Pop decided that he was going to show me he loved me. He arranged for the circus to come to Britin. In the front of the house was a banner that read “We love you Gus”. Dad told me next time just tell Pop my worries, so we don’t have circus animals in the yard.

 

Mia is my woman, our first meeting was her grabbing me and telling Dad her prince was here. Dad asked what about him, she told him “Silly, you're the king.”  Mia is so different from JR, Mia thinks I am the best brother in the world. If I am at the house Mia is with me.

 

Chad and I bonded over insecurities. I was afraid of losing Pop and Dad. Chad already lost everyone. When I met him he kicked me and I hugged him. We bonded in that moment.

 

Being boys we wanted to go do boy things, I took him fishing at the pond Pop put in the back of the house. Pop wanted a Koi pond we wanted to catch fish. I will never forget the look on his face when we walked up with a Koi on the hook. Pop smiled and said we were great fishermen.

 

He called and had a smaller pond set up closer to the house for the Koi. Then he had the workman make the other pond much larger and had it stocked with catfish and bass for us. Mia came and sat under the tree and read, she said Dad told her only little boys stink. Princesses cheer the one who catches a big one.

 

Dad looked at the big pond and told Pop that we must be heteros. Dad came out an hour later with sunscreen and towel and told Mia they were going to catch some rays. It was fun because Pop brought out lunch and handi-wipes. Pop got us worms for bait and told us that we need to clean up after touching them.

 

Pop can act prissy, but then he turns around and gets muddy with us. Dad will do anything to see Pop smile. I remember Chad, Mia, and I sitting in the house because it was raining, we were bored out of our minds. Pop tells us we are going to play car wash. He opened the garage doors and told us to run out to the end of the drive and run in the other garage door. We did it about a thousand times. Pop ran with us and we looked like drowned cats. Dad pulled up told us to finish because he wanted to go to dinner. We went to get pizza. Pop was in heaven, he told us that he has to sneak junk food. Dad said that explains the bubble butt.

 

I sat on the bus and felt sadness. I lost my Mom when she defended Mel and JR. I tried to like JR, but it's hard to like someone when you always have to take the blame for their mistakes. JR thinks Michael walks on water. I made the mistake of saying Michael needs to stop trying to make Dad take care of him. JR told me that my Dad is a slut who doesn't take care of anyone, only abandons them. I pushed JR out of my way. JR ran down and told Mel and Mom that I tried to hit her. Mel told me to get out. I was 12 at the time. I spent the night in the tree house in the yard.

 

I learned to keep my mouth shut and stay in my room after that. I figured out after a while that Mel would suddenly be nice before my visits to Pop and Dad. I wonder now if that’s why I kept things from Pop and Dad. She conditioned me by treating me well for a month before a visit.

 

I was changing my shirt, it hurt to lift my arms. Pop walked in and very calmly asked what happened. I wasn’t going to protect anyone any longer. I told him Mel threw things at me. The paperweight caused the worst bruises. I have quite a few bruises, Mel might not have touched me with her hands but she can aim.

 

Pop asked if I needed a doctor, I told him it hurts to lift my arms but I don't think anything was broken. He went to get some Tylenol and told me to get rest. Pop said we were going to a doctor and the police. He was pissed.

 

JUSTIN’S POV

 

I had to walk out before I reacted to this. Brian is going to explode, because Mel hurt Gus. Gus was the first person Brian ever loved more than himself. Brian and I would gladly lay down our lives for Gus, and the girls hurt him.

 

I call Blake because I need help. Blake sees all sorts of things in his work. Blake tells me he's coming over. He says he's going to let Ted know because Brian is going to rain fire on everyone that hurt his child and Ted will keep him out of jail.

 

Blake got to Britin and I met him outside. I grab him in a hug because he understands how hard this is. He asks if I called Daphne yet. I tell him I will when we get inside.

 

Daphne is a surgeon now and volunteers with Blake to provide care for people who won’t go to the hospital. Blake tells me he will call her. Daphne tells Blake she is on her way and we need a camera.

 

I wake Gus up and tell him that Daphne wants to check him over. He tells me he wants to forget it. I tell him this is so the girls will cooperate. Daphne checks him over and says she doesn't think anything is broken but Gus is going to get X-rays just to make sure. Blake says he will stay with the kids.

 

Daphne takes us straight in. Gus was run through a bunch of tests. When she was done she gives Gus some stronger pain medication. She tells me to take Gus home and put him to bed. She tells me there were no signs of continuous abuse. It looks just like Gus described it.

 

I drove a sleepy Gus home. I pull up to Brian in the drive. He looks at me and I tell him to help me get Gus into the house. Brian was going to grab him around his waist and back I tell him be careful. Brian pulls him up gently. We put Gus in the downstairs bedroom. Brian lifted Gus’s shirt, looks at me and walks out.

 

He tells me to call Ted, and his lawyer, David. He wants pictures of the bruises. I told him Daphne took pictures but said that it looked like it was just what Gus said.

 

BRIAN’S POV

 

I don’t care that the girls might never have abused him before. I care that someone put bruises on my son. Justin told me we could call the police but he doubts much will be done. I know he’s right. I want the girls to suffer. Gus turns 18 in a couple weeks, so as far as going back to live with them, that’s not going to happen.        

 

Ted asked what I wanted done. I told him I need Cynthia here and to get Emmett. Ted called and Cynthia said she would catch the first flight out. David showed up and told me that we could go after the girls but my support was paid up and they aren’t entitled to any more from me. Gus doesn’t have to go back. I looked at David and said that even if Gus did go back, he owns the house. I put it in Gus’s name when I bought it. Ted asked if I wanted them evicted. I smiled and told him yes. I cover all my bases.

 

Justin came in with Mia and Chad. Mia, my princess, hugged me and asked if she could stay home with Gus. I told her that she should go to school, Gus was tired and he would be well rested when she got back. Chad told me that he wanted to go fishing. Justin ushered them off to the bus. When he came back he told me he wanted the girls to have to beg Gus to be allowed to stay in the house. I told him that could be arranged.

 

Justin went to tell our cook that Gus was here. I wanted to have a cook for all the meals but Justin only wants someone for early in the morning. He likes to have time for the kids in the morning. Linda, the cook, will prepare meals for all times of the day. We just have to reheat them from the freezer. Justin also likes to cook so we only eat those when he is busy painting. I know I am thinking of asinine things because I want to crash a freight train into Linds and Mel. I have to be there for Gus first. Plus, jail was kind of boring.

 

The phone rings and I pick it up, thinking it was Cynthia. Nope, it’s Debbie.

 

“Brian, you need to help us out. JR was put in jail because of the drugs at the party Gus had. Your son ran when the police came and now they think that JR was the one who threw the party. Michael told me to tell you that he wants you guys to go to Canada together to get JR out and find your troublemaking child for the girls,” Deb tells me.

 

“No,” I simply say.

 

“It is your son’s fault my granddaughter is in trouble, you owe it to us to help her out,” Deb tells me.

 

“I stopped owing you anything when you decided that my life belonged to your son. I think you mistake me for the kid who got the shit kicked out of him and ran to you for a safe haven from my personal hell. What exactly do I owe you for Deb, the fact your son can’t take care of himself? That he runs to you so you can scream us into submission? I don’t owe you shit,” I hang up.

 

The phone ring almost immediately and I answer, glad it’s Cynthia. She tells me Ted is picking her up and she’ll have him fill her in.

 

Gus came in and I got up and hugged him. He looks better this morning, I ask if he’s still sore and he tells me not so much. Gus tells me that he doesn’t want me to do anything to his moms, he was going to ask to come here anyway. I told him that I wasn’t going to physically hurt them or kill them. I just want them to know what it’s like to be kicked out of their home.

 

Justin came in with food for Gus and tells him it was the best offer from me he was going to get. Gus nods and asks about JR. I told him Deb made it sound like she was still in jail but they don’t keep minors that long. I would find out for sure, but that I only care what happens to the kids in this house.

 

I ask about school and Gus tells me that he finished most of his exams and other than one paper he was finished for the semester. Cynthia would talk care of getting his paperwork transferred to the school here.

 

Gus got up and said he was going to take a shower. Linds is calling now. I answer and she tells me that Gus needs some sports equipment and could we have Ted send the money for it. I ask what sport and how much. She tells me hockey and eight hundred should cover it all. I ask if it's true that JR was put in jail and that Gus took off. Linds stutters and I ask if he's home. She says he's just staying with a friend. I told her that Gus needs to call me first. I know they need the money for JR.