- Text Size +

A Captivating Coupling


Chapter Seventeen: Scatter & Align


Moving on, is a simple thing, what it leaves behind is hard. ~ Mustaine


Saturday, June 5, 1999


“They contracted work from Kevin Jacobs on the old house. He’s not too bright and probably believed Marshall when he told him that he’d be keeping his antiques in it. He’s Police Chief Lyle Anderson’s nephew. I doubt he would’ve done it if he had any clue what he was really doing so go easy on him if you talk to him.”


Agent Bruce Holden listened carefully to what the man sitting across from him was saying. At any moment the man, Pace Wheaton, would stop talking and start demanding immunity in return for giving any further information. “If he’s not too bright then I don’t think we’ll waste time speaking to him. Knowing the layout of where they’re kept isn’t nearly as important as knowing the layout of the estate.”


Pace checked his watch. “I’ve got to be back at the park to pick up Hank Marshall and his kid in fifteen minutes. I’ll work on drawing up a layout and we can meet again next week.” He grabbed a piece of paper from his pocket and slid it over to Holden. “Those are all the guards and the numbers assigned to them. They’re on a patch on our shoulders and should be easy to spot.”


Hank unfolded the piece of paper and gave it a look. You have an X marked beside four of them.”


Pace nodded and crossed his large arms over his chest. “Those are the guards who will give you trouble. They aren’t from around these parts and they seem like they’re trained hit men or something. Number 12 accompanied some politician to Marshall’s estate two years ago and never left.”


Bruce Holden eyed the man skeptically. “You don’t remember this guy’s name?”


Pace shook his head adamantly. “Look, I’ve been trying to drop hints to my brother-in-law for years now. If I hadn’t befriended Hank, Peter wouldn’t allow me to go outside of his gates without one of these men accompanying me.” He reached across the table and pointed to the men with the X beside their names. “I’m not lying to you, man.” He took a deep breath, trying to quell his frustration. “I want to bring Marshall down and I’m not the only ‘employee’ that wants to, I’m just the only one with a way to. I’m risking my life and my family’s life telling you this.”


Going with his instincts, Bruce accepted the man’s words as truth. “We’re keeping a close eye on all of the employee’s family members.”


Pace sighed, “Thank you.”


“All right, meet me in two weeks, same time, same place.”


“Two? But next week I can get…”


“Just in case they’ve noticed that you’ve been missing, they might watch you next week. Don’t do anything out of the ordinary. We should have enough on everyone connected with this to move by then if we need to but we’d prefer to wait until we’re absolutely certain that we have enough evidence to bring down every man and make sure none of their fancy lawyers can get them out of it.”


“I’ll work on memorizing the layout of the estate, the schedule and draw them up for you the next time we meet. It was risky writing down all their numbers but I wanted to be sure I remembered the men’s numbers that you’ll most likely have problems with.”


“You did fine, Wheaton,” Holden felt compelled to say. “Just don’t get caught and don’t look suspicious when you get back to the park.”


“I won’t,” Pace assured the agent. He stood form the table and offered his hand to shake. “We’re so close to freeing those men and their children, I wouldn’t do anything to fuck it up.”


Holden grasped Pace’s hand and started to shake it before the man’s words clicked in his brain. “What do you mean, their children?” he whispered in shock.


Pace was surprised that the feds didn’t know about them. Then again, no one did. “They have two children together. I think they’re both almost a year old. One boy, one girl and the younger man, Justin, he’s pregnant again, probably ready to pop.”


Bruce nodded, trying not to show how thrown he was. “Then we will have a talk with Kevin Jacobs about the layout of the farm house. We’ll have to be more careful with the rescue if we do have to go in before we’d like.”


“In two weeks.” Pace gave a curt nod before walking away from the table.


Holden sat for almost twenty minutes in silence before he whispered into the speaker wire under his shirt. “No one tells Kinney or Taylor’s family about the children. That includes Carl Horvath. They don’t need to be worrying about the victims' children too.”


***


Saturday, June 19, 1999


Cynthia poured Jennifer a cup of coffee. “So Craig is just fine with watching Molly while you date Tucker?” she asked.


Jennifer shrugged and took the offered cup. “Craig believes that having a relationship with Molly will lead to having a relationship with me again.”


Cynthia sat across from Jen at the kitchen island and toyed with expressing her next thought.


Jennifer knew the woman was biting at the bit to ask her something else, she and Cynthia were close friends now and she could easily pick up on Cynthia’s nervousness. “Just ask,” she said.


Cynthia smiled. “Will Craig’s plan work?”


“I want to say no but….”


“But what?”


“I don’t want Justin to come back to a broken home. Everything else is going to be different in the world. I know we have Molly now, but I still want him to see that no matter what he still has his family.” Tears pooled in Jennifer’s eyes as she imagined the day she’d see her son once again.


“He will still have his family,” Cynthia assured, placing her hand on top of Jennifer’s to comfort her. “He’ll have an even bigger family than he ever did. You know that everyone in Brian’s life will love Justin too.”


Jennifer had thought much about what Brian and Justin were going through. She knew that the same man kidnapped them and kept in the same place, but she didn’t know for sure if they were together or not. She wondered if they had ever even seen one another. It was entirely possible that Justin and Brian would want nothing to do with one another when it was all over. Everyone assumed that they were together and had probably become friends, but Jennifer wasn’t too sure that the case. “I know that,” she said, not voicing her other thoughts.


“He’s going to find out one day what Craig did,” Cynthia said in a gentle tone. “You won’t be able to keep that from him and I doubt he’d want you to. He won’t want to come back to a lie.”


Jennifer knew that Cynthia was right. “Craig tried so hard to make me fall out of love with him. He did everything in his power and….and…I…”


“You did,” Cynthia finished for her.


Jen nodded. “I can’t help but wonder if we didn’t know that Justin would be returning soon if Craig would even have anything to do with me or Molly right now. How long would he have gone on pushing us away, ignoring his child?”


“He was scared for your safety.” Cynthia wasn’t defending Craig, but she could empathize with the way he’d treated Jennifer and Molly. However, it didn’t make it right and she didn’t think that Jennifer should just go back to him, especially because she saw the sparks that were between Tucker and her and believed that they could be happy together.


“I feel guilty moving on. I know I shouldn’t but I do.”


“That’s understandable but it isn’t reason enough to deny yourself happiness. You deserve some, don’t you think?”


Thinking of how happy she was whenever she and Tucker were together made Jennifer’s lips tugged into a smile. “Yes.”


“I warned my brother,” Cynthia confessed.


Jennifer gasped. “What do you mean?”


“I told him that you may not want to be in a serious relationship for a long time and that he might be better off only being friends with you. But he told me this morning that after his ‘date’ with you last night he couldn’t stop thinking about you. He’s reached the point where he might be falling in love with you.”


Jennifer swallowed thickly. “But we’ve only been out a few times.”


“Sometimes it only takes one date to know you’ve met the right person. So I think you need to think carefully about what you’re going to do. Are you going to let your guilt go? Or, are you going to let Tucker go?” Cynthia leaned back in her chair and studied her friend. “You look terrified.”


“I am. Because… because I know you’re right. I guess I need to talk to Craig when he gets back with Molly tonight.”


“That’d be a good idea,” Cynthia agreed.


“But after I call Tucker this afternoon. We don’t know what’s going to happen with Justin once he comes home and I need to know that he’s going to be patient and supportive. I don’t want to start getting more serious with him if he thinks it all might be too much for him. I need to know how he feels now.”


Cynthia was pretty certain of what Tucker’s intentions were with Jennifer. “Don’t be too nervous, he’s been right beside me this whole time that Brian’s been missing. He’s a good rock to hold on to and I don’t mind sharing him.”


***


Hank put the squirming little boy down and encouraged, “Go play.”


Pace watched the child take off in a clumsy run toward the sand box. “I’ll pick you up in an hour,” he confirmed.


Hank reached past the diaper bag in between the front seats of the van and touched Pace’s arm. “It’s okay if you need longer.”


Chills raced up and down Pace’s spine as he stared at the man beside him. “How long do you need, sir? That is when I will return.”


Hank sighed and didn’t remove his hand but squeezed it gently on Guard 25’s arm. “I know that you’ve found a way to get help. I had to open all of your mail before it came to you. That’s why I asked for you to drive us into town after 18 left.”


Pace choked down a cough. “I knew that you both read our mail, why would I have anything in it…”


“I will never tell him,” Hank promised. “I’m ready to serve the time I deserve. I’m ready for things to be right. I’ve been prisoner nearly as much as they have been. As you all have been to him. I want the children safe and at this point I don’t care if he kills me when they finally come for them.”


“He won’t,” Pace said sternly. “I’ll make sure of it.”


Hank laughed softly. “You can’t be sure of that. I don’t matter. What matters is doing whatever you can to help them. If there’s anything I can do to help just tell me and I’ll do it.”


“I’ll let them know,” Pace said warily.


“Tell whoever it is that is helping you that they can trust me. I’m not looking for any immunity or protection. Peter and his ‘acquaintances’ are squirming. They know something is going on. That’s why they moved them in the first place. So they’d better hurry.” Hank reached for the diaper bag, gave Pace a reassuring smile and closed the passenger door.


Pace’s hands shook as he negotiated the parking lot and pulled out into the street, heading toward the coffee shop all the while praying that it would all soon be over.


***


Monday, July 4, 1999


Craig popped his head up from the recliner and yelled, “Go away! I’m not coming to that fucking barbecue!”


The knocking continued anyway.


Craig threw the beer can he’d been drinking from across the floor. “Go away, damn you!”


Still, the knocking continued.


The last thing he wanted was to attend the barbecue at Debbie Novotny’s house. He’d told countless people who called to invite him that he wouldn’t be going. After Jennifer told him that they were ‘forever divorced’ and that, she wanted to move on with Tucker. Tucker would accompany her to the Fourth of July barbecue and that meant he was going to stay far away from the Independence Day celebration. After his early morning roaming of the streets of Pittsburgh and handing out his last ‘Missing’ sign, he found himself in front of a liquor store and decided that he deserved a little alcohol.


“Jesus, Christ!” he yelled, finally standing up from his chair. He swayed a bit as he walked toward the door. “I’m coming!”


“It’s about damn time! Holden called!”


Craig sobered as he recognized Cynthia’s voice and took in her statement. He quickly unlocked the door and threw it open. The sun nearly blinded him as Cynthia stepped inside. “What’s going on?”


Cynthia wiped the sweat from her brow and smiled. “They’re flying me, you, Carl and Jen down.”


Craig felt dizzy and backed himself against the staircase. “Now?”


“Yes, now.” Cynthia cautiously touched Craig’s shoulder. “You look like shit and smell like shit. Go get cleaned up, Carl and Jen are packing right now. They’ll be here to get us in an hour.”


“What about you? Don’t you need to pack?” Craig asked. It was easier for him to talk about something that didn’t directly relate to Justin, he wasn’t sure if he could handle getting his hopes up only to have them dashed.


Cynthia shrugged. “I’ve been packed since Carl said that we might be able to fly down there once they were ready to get them.”


Craig felt like his whole body was shaking. “They’re ready?”


“Yes,” Cynthia assured. “We all have been trying to call you. They’re going to get them tonight.”


Craig’s knees weakened and he nearly passed out but Cynthia was there to help lift him up.


“They’re coming home,” she said, hugging him.


“It’s…it’s Independence Day,” Craig said in a soft tone. “It’s Independence Day.”

XXXXX

Moments in Captivity


Chapter Seventeen: Independence Day


“A very small degree of hope is sufficient to cause the birth of love."


Monday, July 4, 1999


Brian wiped the burger juice from his lips and licked his fingers. “This is delicious.”


Justin carded his fingers through Brian’s hair and pulled him into a kiss. “You’re right, it is delicious.”


Brian laughed. “You do realize that you just ate chewed up food from my mouth.”


Justin shrugged and grinned. “If that’s the grossest thing I’ve done around you, I’d be surprised.”


Brian took a big drink of his water and then burped.


“What is this? A contest?” Justin asked.


“That was the twins,” Brian defended. He placed one hand on his stomach, over the catsup stain on his shirt. “They’ve got the hiccups and they’re making me burp.”


“Riiight,” Justin replied playfully. He slid from his stool and walked over to the babies in their high chairs. “Are you guys ready for your bath?” he asked.


“Bap! Bap! Bap!” Bevyn squealed.


Beatha just smiled prettily at her father and nodded her head. She didn’t know if she liked playing with the mashed green beans more or taking a bath.


Brian stuffed the last bite of his third burger into his mouth and wiped himself up with a napkin. “Wait, let me help,” he spoke around the food in his mouth.


“After we give them a bath we can watch ‘Yankee Doodle Dandee’ while they nap,” Justin suggested. He lifted Beatha into his arms and turned to Brian. “Are there fireworks in it?”


Brian shrugged. “I don’t know. I’ve never seen it. I just remember Deb watched it on the Fourth every year.” Bevyn smashed green beans into Brian’s face as he picked him up. “Lovely, son. If I’m not already a mess, you just did it.”


“You’re the Jolly Green Giant,” Justin teased, kissing Brian’s cheek.


Brian looked at his stomach and sighed. “You’re right. I am.”


“Oh, stop. I’m much more of a giant than you,” Justin said, rolling his eyes.


“Not much!” Brian groaned.


Justin turned to look at Brian from head to toe. “Really you are so far away from how fat I am that it isn’t even funny.”


“Fap!” Bevyn said firmly, patting Brian’s belly. “Fap!”


Justin couldn’t find it in him to hold back his laughter. “He’s such a devil.”


Brian kissed Bevyn’s messy face. “He tells the truth.”


Beatha waved over Justin’s shoulder at Brian, her eyes serious as if agreeing with her brother.


“Wave bye-bye to Dada’s skinny butt,” Justin teased. “We like it big and bubbly.”


“As if I’ll let you touch my ass ever again?” Brian joked, following him down the hall toward the stairway. “One of these days I’m going to knock you up with two and we’ll laugh about how big your ass gets then.”


Justin wiggled his ass as he started to step up the staircase. “Yes, we will laugh and I’ll know you’ll love me anyway, just like I love you. No matter how many stretch marks you get this time.”


Brian laughed loudly and swatted Justin’s ass. “I don’t have any and I won’t be getting any!” he insisted. Hoped.


***


“Are they asleep?” Justin asked.


Brian looked down at his children. “Yeah, they’ve nearly put me to sleep.”


Justin slowly stood from the rocker and walked over to Brian. “You’re getting good practice in.”


Brian huffed. “If you think I’m going to be the only one feeding the twins, you’re wrong.”


Justin frowned and backed away from Brian. “I’m sorry, neither one of them wanted to nurse from me, Brian. I think they just don’t like the colostrum. If it becomes a problem we can always start Beatha on real milk, the books say she can start to have it at a year old.”


“I didn’t mean for what I said to come out so harshly,” Brian said softly. “I’m sorry if I hurt you. I know that you’ll help me.”


Justin walked back over to Brian and looked at the children who were asleep against his chest. “I’m sure after this baby’s born and my milk comes back they’ll like me again,” he assessed.


Brian grabbed Justin’s hand and looked into his eyes. “I don’t mind nursing them, Justin. I swear. Now, take Beatha for me, put her in his crib and I’ll put Bevyn in his. Then, maybe we can go watch that movie.”


Justin’s mood shifted and he smiled as he carefully took his sleeping daughter from Brian. Beatha began to wiggle and whine as Justin walked her over to the crib. “It’s all right baby, girl. You go to sleep,” he whispered, kissing her forehead. “I love you.”


Brian hadn’t stood up from the rocker yet, he was entranced with Justin. Watching Justin with his children was his favorite thing in the world. He thought that many times a day and quiet moments like this were some of his favorite.


Once Justin was satisfied that Beatha was deeply asleep he took his finger from her gripping fist and pulled the side of the crib up and locked it. “Have a good nap,” he told her.


Brian had a silly smile on his face as Justin turned back around to face him. “You’re a great father, Justin.”


Justin blushed furiously and his heart swelled at the compliment. “You are too,” he said back, helping Brian stand.


Brian kissed Justin’s mouth swiftly as he walked to Bevyn’s crib. The little boy was sleeping so soundly that he didn’t make a move or a noise when Brian placed him in his crib. “Love you, Bevyn,” he whispered.


Justin kissed the tips of his fingers and placed them on Bevyn’s cheek. “Love you, son.”


Brian knew that Beatha would wake up if he tried the same with her so he blew her a kiss and begged her, “Please have a nice long nap, little girl. Love you.”


Justin laughed softly at Brian’s pleading and it soon turned into a yawn. “Gosh I could use a nap too.”


“And forego Yankee Doodle?” Brian asked, turning on the baby monitor.


Justin wrapped his arm around him. “How about we go to bed and make some fireworks before we take a nap?”


Brian licked his lips, his mouth watering as he thought about taking Justin’s cock into his mouth. “Sounds like a plan,” he replied, pulling Justin out of the nursery.


***


Justin shot up in bed as a sharp pain barreled across his stomach and then zapped into his lower back where it began to pulse until it died off. “Oh my.” He looked at the clock and saw that he and Brian had only been asleep for about a half hour. His ears tuned in on the sound of babbling coming from the monitor.


Brian groaned beside him. “They can’t be awake. Not yet.”


Justin took a deep breath and wiped the sweat from his forehead and neck. “They’re not crying, just talking to each other.”


“Thank god they haven’t figured out how to climb yet.”


Justin gripped his chest as a wave of heartburn radiated within him. “Jesus,” he gasped when it subsided.


Brian kept his head buried under a pillow as he asked. “You all right?”


“Yeah, I probably shouldn’t have put so much onion in the burgers.” He knew it was more than that but he could also tell that he still had a lot of time. “I’m going to go take a shower; will you get up with them if they start crying?”


“Yeah, as long as you’ll give them a snack while I take a shower when you’re done.”


“Of course,” Justin replied. He leaned over and kissed Brian’s cheek. “Love you.”


“You too,” Brian mumbled, absently stroking Justin’s arm.


Justin’s legs felt wobbly as he stood from the bed and quietly padded toward the bathroom. Once there, he started the shower and looked down at his naked body. “So this is why you haven’t been moving much today, you’re all settled and waiting patiently to make an appearance.” He stroked a hand over his stomach and a footprint appeared upside down, pressing out on his skin for a split-second. “You don’t seem in too much of a hurry though. Not like your siblings,” Justin assessed as he stepped into the large tub. “That’s a good thing. I wouldn’t mind it if you wait until your brother and sister are sleeping tonight.

XXXXX