- Text Size +

Chapter Six “Take a Bow”



Say Goodbye. All the world is a stage. And everyone has their part. But how was I to know which way the story’d go? How was I to know you’d break, you’d break, you’d break my heart. I’ve always been in love with you. Guess you’ve always known. You took my love for granted. Why? Oh, why? The show is over say goodbye. Say goodbye. –Madonna

December 16, 2000


Shortly after Justin's meeting with Mrs. Montgomery, he decided that no matter what, he was going to keep his baby. Once he had time alone to himself, he started to weigh everything in his head.


He knew he would have to quit the ABC. He decided that he would rather run away and live in a shelter than have an abortion. He would then get his trust and legally be an adult. He knew he would have to work very hard to give his child a chance at a real life, but already he loved his baby, and no one was going to force him to get rid of his sunshine.


Justin walked back to his dorm room, sent home sick from his morning class. He had to tell his instructor that he wasn’t feeling well when she suggested that the class go to the pool and swim as a part of their exercise.


It was one thing to practice in tights and baggy sweaters, but it was entirely another to be in a pair of skimpy swim trunks. Everyone would have noticed his plump little belly.


That was when he knew that he would have to leave the ABC. The sooner the better. As soon as he reached his room he changed out of his tights and started to pack his things.


There was only so much he figured he could take with him, so he was nearly packed in just under an hour when a loud knock sounded at his door. He grabbed his terrycloth robe to hide his stomach. He had changed into his street clothes, pair of pants and a t-shirt that was too small for him. After donning the robe he opened the door and rolled his eyes at the woman before him.


"What are you doing here?" he asked. Instinctively he clutched his arms around his belly, to hide his child from the woman who wanted it aborted.


"Justin, I think we need to talk," she said with a soft tone Justin had never heard her use.


"What's there to talk about?" he snipped once she sat on his sofa.


"You, your baby. The state we left things, well, I just want you to know that I talked to Dan." She looked at Justin who stood above her. “I told him that you were pregnant and that you needed our help."


"Your help?" Justin scoffed and started to pace. “You want to give me money to get rid of my baby! I don't think so."


"Oh, Justin." Mrs. Montgomery buried her face in her hands. "I am so sorry; I thought that was what was best for you. I didn't mean it."


Justin stopped pacing and looked at his guardian, if she could be called that. “Yes, you did." He hissed, "You do not give a shit about me or my baby."


"I do, Justin." Mrs. Montgomery looked up at Justin with tears in her eyes. "I just wanted you to be successful. I wanted you to have a good life, and I thought it was best at the time, but I thought it over last night and now I know that's not true." She stood and neared him.


"I'm quitting the company." Justin said sternly. "And I am going to raise my child; I don't need your kind of help. I may have to work my ass off, but I know that there is money to be used for my housing expenses. It may not be much but..."


"You can live in your parent's house in Jersey. We had been renting it out to help pay for your schooling and your lessons, but, this is more important."


Justin eyed the woman carefully. “Are you serious?"


"I talked to Daniel and he came up with the perfect plan to help you." Justin wasn't sure if he liked the idea but he kept his mouth closed and listened.


"Do you really want to quit the ABC?" Mrs. Montgomery asked, thinking she knew Justin’s answer.


Justin shook his head. “That’s not the point. It doesn’t even matter what I want from the ABC, because once they hear about this, they'll kick me out. Not to mention, I am going to have to raise a baby on my own. I won't have time for it."


"Well, Dan and I already thought of that," Mrs. Montgomery said. "We thought we could tell the ABC that you have come down with mono. And you need to take some time off until you are well enough to return. They don't need to know about the baby."


“Then what happens after I have the baby?” Justin asked. “You think I will give it up for adoption or something? Cause I’m not!”


“No, Justin,” Mrs. Montgomery said. “I thought that Dan and I could help you out. You could live off campus in the guesthouse and we could hire a nanny.”


Justin sighed. What Mrs. Montgomery was offering was definitely better than doing it all on his own. “They’ll want a doctor’s excuse or something,” Justin said.


Mrs. Montgomery smiled. “Dan has a friend who could help out. We talked to him and he already agreed to write a note excusing you until you are better. He is an OBGYN, but the ABC does not need to know that.”


“No, I guess not,” Justin said softly. He did not like lying about being pregnant, and he knew he would also have to lie about having a child once he was back at the ABC. However, he also knew that the only way he was going to be able to provide for his baby the way he wanted was to take the Montgomery’s help. At least, for now.


If he did not like the way things were going he could always leave. Really, he was not sure if he would want to go back to being a dancer. However, the Montgomery’s did not have to know that.


“Ms. Gordon called me and told me you were ill. Dan and I had already discussed this and when she suggested I come and take you to the doctor, I thought that I would. I mean, well, actually, I told her I would take you and let her know how you were after the appointment.”


Justin cringed. He hated that his every move was reported back to the woman in front of him from his instructors. “Well, I don’t have an appointment,” Justin said dryly.


Mrs. Montgomery smiled and opened her purse. “Sure you did.” She took out an envelope and handed it to Justin.


He opened it cautiously. Inside was a document of diagnosis and an excuse note from a Dr. Minton, for his patient Justin Taylor. “How did you do this?


“I was pretty sure that you would accept my offer. I didn’t want you to have to give up your child, Justin,” Mrs. Montgomery said and hugged the boy.


It was awkward and Justin was not too sure he liked the woman’s gall very much. Just twenty-four hours ago, she had tried to convince him to have an abortion, but now, she seemed to have all the answers.


He warily replied, “Ok, let’s do this then.”


“In about an hour I’ll take this to Dean Ryan and have a talk with him. I am sure there will not be any problem. I will make sure that your position to advance will not be jeopardized,” Mrs. Montgomery patted Justin’s shoulder making him shiver.


Mrs. Montgomery helped Justin pack the rest of his things and then went to meet with the Dean.


Things went smoothly and much to her delight Justin still owned a spot in the ABC as soon as he was well enough to come back.


“Dean Ryan said to take all the time we need to pack, but I was thinking that the sooner we get to Jersey the better,” she told him once she got back to his dorm.


Justin sighed. “Actually, if you don’t mind, I would like to stay here tonight. I have some friends I need to say goodbye too.” Justin was of course lying. Most of the kids were jealous of him and in turn hated him for his talent.


The only friend he had, Daphne Chanders, left the company last year to pursue college. Something he was now considering doing after the baby was born.


Tonight though, what Justin really wanted was one last night dancing in the moonlight with his child. He decided while Mrs. Montgomery met with the Dean, that he would not be coming back. His child would just be the beginning of all the dreams that he would make come true.

***

Justin silently wept the entire walk home from his last dance session. He knew that he would always dance. Whether it was with the ABC or on a street corner, Justin really did not care. He really had no sentiments regarding the halls of the ABC, or anyone in the company. Even if he did give his last performance to the night. None of that really mattered to Justin at all.


Except of course for that one person. Brian Kinney; Principal Danseur of The American Ballet Company, beautiful, charismatic and sexy. He was the love of Justin’s young life. He was also the reason for the tears that flowed down Justin’s cheeks as he snuggled into his bed to sleep. Brian Kinney, the father of his baby.


Justin whispered into his almost empty room, “I did love you, Brian, but you didn’t even give me a chance. And I cannot take the chance of telling you about our baby.” With those last words Justin passed out from the day’s exhaustion.