- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Gus is starting to get used to his independence, even if his mothers still disapprove…

A fic about coming of age, and dealing with real-life issues…
Title: Positive…
Story Type: AU
Word Count: 1069
Warnings: Love, Understanding, Compassion…
Beta Queen: BigJ52


Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, plot, etc. are property of their respective owners, including, but not limited to Russell T. Davies, Cowlip, and Showtime. The author of this story is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended…

Story Summary: Gus is devastated, feeling scared and alone…

Chapter Summary: Gus is starting to get used to his independence, even if his mothers still disapprove…


Positive…

Chapter Nine

Gus’s fingers slide through Cole’s golden locks as he bobs his head up and down, bringing Gus to fruition. Gus moans deeply as he relaxes and rides out the last waves of his orgasm. Sitting back Cole smiles up at Gus.

“Now hopefully that took some of the edge off, helping you relax.”

“I just hate that everyone’s talking about us. Why did Michael have to blab to everyone?”

“They’re just concerned about you. Please try not to over react.”

“I had hoped they would have respected our privacy. Now everyone’s calling and worried about me. The next thing I know they’ll start planning my funeral.”

“It’s not that bad. Finding out has just taken them by surprise.”

“You don’t know my family, they’re total busybodies. They’re always gossiping and butting in where they don’t belong.”

“I’m sure they’re just concerned about you. It’s nice having a family who loves and cares about you.”

“I know. It’s just that they’re a little too concerned. Now everyone thinks it’s their job to dole out advice. Even when they don’t really know what they’re talking about.”

“Well. Your moms are starting to come around. I think this dinner with them will be a good start.”

~~~

Mel can’t resist getting her digs in. “So, Gus. Now that you’re out on your own, I’m sure things are harder that you expected. I assume you’re looking for a job? I’m sure you’re not expecting your father to foot the bill for all your expenses.”

Gus grits his teeth thinking, like you do…

“Actually, I’m starting an apprenticeship with Baker and Associates when I return from Mexico.”

“Oh? Is that a law office?”

Mel snipes, “No, Lindsay! It is not a law firm!”

“It’s an architectural firm, mom. They’re one of the best in Pittsburgh. They’ve won several design awards, and are highly sought after.”


“I don’t know why you don’t intern at a law firm. Then you’d be able to see what you’re missing.”

“Because I want to be an architect.”

“Since when?”

“Really, mom? Why don’t you ever pay attention to my interests, and what I want? Why is it always about what you two think is best?”

“Gus. I don’t understand where this attitude is coming from.”

“Just because I have different goals in life, doesn’t mean I have an attitude.”

Trying to keep the peace, Deb says, “I was hoping that inviting you all over for dinner would stop you bickering long enough to have a decent meal.”

“We’re not bickering. I’m his mother, and I have every right to question his decisions.”

“Well, thank God! We agree that it’s my decision.”

“I never said that.”

“Well it is! So I’d appreciate it if you’d stop trying to control and manipulate me!”

“I’m just trying make you see reason.”

“What’s wrong with being an architect?”

Mel’s stumped for a response.

“I know I’ll make a good income. From what I can see you haven’t done all that well financially as an attorney. Because if you had, you wouldn’t need to always be asking for a handout from my dad.”

“How dare you! Don’t you ever ask me for help! You ungrateful little bastard!”

Mel is so mad she grabs her Jacket and storms out of Deb’s house.

“That went well…”

“Brian! You’re not helping!”

“Gussy. I’m sure mama didn’t mean that. She’s just upset. She’s always assumed that you’d be a lawyer.”

“Assumed! Manipulated! Controlled! What about what I want? What about my dreams and desires? Where do they fit into your scheme of things?”

“We just want what’s best for you!”

“What’s best for me is for you to let me grow up, and make my own decisions. Why can’t you accept that I don’t want the same things you do?”

“Ahhh… Just for the record. I don’t want to be a lawyer either. I want to be a race car driver.”

“What!”

“JR! That’s not even funny!”

Deb butts in. “Who’s hungry? Let’s eat!”

“Yum. Lasagna, my favorite.”

“Justin. Everything’s your favorite.”

“What can I say? I have a healthy appetite.”

Deb asks Cole about his football scholarship, congratulating him. Then she mentions that Brian had a soccer scholarship when he started college.

“Really, dad? I didn’t know that.”

“Oh yeah. I’ve seen pictures of him in his uniform. He looked hot!”

Brian grins, and kisses Justin. Lindsay looks on fondly, as her mind is flooded with images of Brian from all those years ago.

“You should see Cole in his uniform. Now Gus’s mind is flooded with images of Cole. Like mother, like son.

~~~

Mel’s sitting at Woody’s with Ted, drinking her third beer, still fretting about Gus’s behavior.

“Mel. Why can’t you accept Gus’s choices? He’s a good kid, and it’s not like he’s in a rock band about to leave to tour around the country.”

“I just feel like he’s doing this to defy me. Like Brian has influenced him, encouraging him to challenge my decisions.”

“He’s a teenager, he’s supposed to defy you. And so what if Brian is supporting his choice? Besides, did you hear what you just said? You said my decisions. Shouldn’t it be Gus’s decision what he does with his life?”

Mel glares at Ted. She hates that he’s right, and she hates that she’s been called on her behavior. And she hates him questioning her parenting.

“Like I said, Gus is a great kid, and being an architect is a great career choice. You should be proud of him. He’s smart and mature. Besides he’s going through so much right now. Can’t you see he needs you? Even if he wasn’t HIV positive, he’d still need you. You’re his mother, you’ll always be part of his life. That is, unless you don’t stop pushing him away.”

“Oh, God. You’re right. I’ve been pushing him away, instead of supporting him. Just when he needs me the most.”

She knows that she’s mostly upset because Brian has stepped up and become the good parent. Instead of standing strong with him, she’s feels challenged by him. She was disappointed about Gus’s decision, but she’s mostly focused on her power struggle with Brian, not what’s best for Gus. She knows she needs to apologize to Gus, but she’s never been one to admit her weakness. But that’s exactly what she needs to do now, and she prays that Gus will forgive her.

TBC…