- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
JR’s just like her father, she can’t keep her big mouth shut!


A series of drabbles about coming of age, and dealing with real-life issues…

Title: Positive…
Story Type: AU
Word Count: 1015
Warnings: Drabble, Love, Understanding, Compassion…
Beta Queen: BigJ52


Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, plot, etc. are property of their respective owners, including, but not limited to Russell T. Davies, Cowlip, and Showtime. The author of this story is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended…

Story Summary: Gus is devastated, feeling scared and alone…

Chapter Summary: JR’s just like her father, she can’t keep her big mouth shut!


Positive…

Chapter Eight

Michael storms into my office, interrupting a conference call with a client.

“Why the fuck didn’t you tell me Gus has AIDS?”

“Michael! I’m working here!”

“You should have told me! I don’t want my daughter exposed and put in danger!”

I look at him like he’s crazy. He has no problem with JR being near Ben and Hunter.

“This is none of your business! How did you find out anyway?”

“JR told me Gus ran away from home because he has AIDS.”

“He didn’t run away from home! He simply moved out!”

“So it’s true? He has AIDS?”

“No. He’s positive, he has no symptoms.”

“Like father, like son! He probably whores around just like you. But he wasn’t smart enough to protect himself.”

“Get! Out! Get the fuck out of here!”

I finally grab Michael’s arm and throw him out of my office. Cynthia heard the yelling and called security and they threw him out of the building. I head over to the loft to see Gus. I want to make sure all hell hasn’t broken loose over there. Justin’s visiting, giving Gus a cooking lesson. They’re making his famous jambalaya.

Once they have it all chopped and mixed together Justin turns it down low to simmer, letting all the delicious flavors do their magic. We relax in the living room, and I’m trying to feel them out to see if they know that JR has mentioned Gus’s situation to her father. I’m slightly irritated, because there’s a fly that keeps buzzing my hair and neck. Justin has a smirk on his face, and Gus is trying hard not to laugh. I have no idea what’s so funny. I guess it’s an inside joke. I keep swatting that damn fly away, but it just keeps coming back.

“Ouch! That fucking bee stung me!”

Now Justin’s practically rolling on the floor laughing, as I jump up to kill the bee. But much to my surprise it’s not a bee at all, it’s a fucking kitten. No, wait. There’s two little fuzz balls and they’re actually kind of adorable.

“Gus! What the fuck is this!”

“That’s Antony and Cleopatra. Aren’t they cute?”





“Did the landlord say you could have pets?”

“Yep, he helped me pick them out.”

“Justin! Justin, you know I don’t want pets!”

“And I didn’t get one for us, although I wanted to.”

“I’m not happy about this.”

“You’ll get over it.”

“Well, they better not scratch the sofa, or ruin the hardwood floors.”

“Thanks, dad! You’re the best!”

“Wait! Who’s going to watch them when you go to Mexico?”

“You are.”

“Justin!”

“Oh, Brian. You won’t even know they’re at Britin.”

“Britin!”

“Brian, they’re too young to stay all alone at the loft.”

“Why didn’t you just wait until you got back?”

“It was one of those impulse things.”

“Can you guess what my impulse is right now?”

They both have the nerve to just look at me and start laughing again. I swear Gus is getting to be more like Justin every day.

“So I guess this means you’ll be spending most of your time here at the loft.”

“I guess. I haven’t really thought about it.”

“Well, you know Cole’s more than welcome to spend the night at Britin, if you want.”

“Justin, you just got through telling me the kittens can’t stay at the loft alone.”

“Brian. Of course he’ll bring the kittens with him.”

“Are you sure these really aren’t your kittens? Why do I feel like I’m being played?”

“I don’t know what you mean?”

“Ah ha…”

Just then the loft phone rings, and we let it roll over to voice mail. Cole always calls Gus’s cell phone.

“Brian? Brian, are you there? I just talked with Michael. Why didn’t you tell me Gus has AIDS? Listen, call me when you get this message. I’ve been trying to reach you everywhere without any luck.”

“What! Michael told her! How does he even know?”

“I’m afraid JR’s telling everyone that’s why you ran away from home.”

“Why does everyone keep saying that? I didn’t run away! I moved!”

“I’m thinking maybe it’s time you had a talk with your mothers. You can’t keep avoiding them forever.”

“Fine! If they’ll stop yelling at me and actually talk. I guess I’ll call them.”

~~~

“Hi, mom.”

“Gus. Oh my God, Gus. Are you alright? I’ve been so worried about you. Are you ready to come home and talk about everything?”

“Yes and no.”

“What do you mean?”

“I mean yes, I’d like to see you, and I think we need to talk. But no, I’m not coming home to live, if that’s what you meant.”

“Gus. I really think it’s best if you live here with us, we can take care of you. You need your mothers. You’ve never been on your own before. How are you going to manage without us?”

Gus says in a sickeningly sweet voice, “Why yes, I’m doing great. Thank you so much for asking.”

“That’s not what I asked?”

“No, it isn’t. But it should have been.”

“You’re acting more like your dad all the time. You know that’s not going to fly with your mama.”

“Mama. Don’t you think I’m a little old to be calling her mama?”

“What do you want to call her?”

“How about I call you by your names, Melanie and Lindsay.”

“I don’t think that’s appropriate.”

“No? Well I don’t think it’s appropriate that you keep treating me like a little boy, trying to control my life.”

“Gussy, don’t be this way. I think you’ve been spending too much time with your father.”

“Just making up for lost time. Of course I wouldn’t have to if you and Meanie had let me spend more time with him growing up.”

“I don’t like you calling us Melanie and Lindsay.”

“Why not? It’s your names.”

“You need to show us some respect.”

“Oh, you mean like the respect you’ve shown me, by telling JR I have AIDS and I’ve run away from home.”

“Gus, it’s not like that.”

“Ah ha…”

TBC…