- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Sorry to keep leaving you with these terrible cliff hangers.  There is just so much you can get in one chapter, though.  Don't worry, though, Detective Kinney is on the case.  TAG

Chapter 21 - Confronting Craig.


Brian Kinney had been standing on the sidewalk in front of his loft for over an hour now. He’d told at least four different police officers and two detectives what he’d seen earlier when Justin had been taken. The police had taken the broken cell phone and keys as ‘evidence’, for whatever good that would do, Brian thought. And still, after an hour and counting, no one had done anything. Brian was barely restraining himself from punching out the latest bumbling idiot who was asking once again the same questions - the only thing holding him back was the thought that he wouldn’t be any help to Justin if he was locked up for attacking a police officer.

“Detective, please. I’ve told you already - and I’ve told all those other guys standing around over there too - you need to go talk to Craig Taylor. He’s Justin’s father. I’m pretty sure that was who I saw watching from across the street while this whole shit was happening.” Brian was trying again to get someone to DO something. “He drove off right after Justin was shoved in that car, like he’d been waiting for it or something. He was driving a silver Jaguar - there can’t be that many cars like that in the Pitts, for Christ sake. Can’t you at least check your fucking records and confirm that Taylor drives a Jag - if so, then he’s definitely your guy”

“Mr. Kinney, can you positively ID the guy you saw as Craig Taylor?” the detective asked.

“No, I can’t. As I already told your buddies over there, I’ve never actually met Craig Taylor.” Brian tried to explain again. “But, he looks just like Sunshine, only older and not as hot”

“Sunshine?”  

“Sorry, I meant Justin. It’s a nickname,” Brian mumbled, embarrassed that he’d been caught using a stupid pet name.  

“Okay. Now what’s this about the kid being disabled or something?” the detective asked in a totally condescending manner.

“He’s not fucking disabled,” Kinney shouted. “He was ATTACKED less than a month ago and lost his memory. He isn’t a fucking cripple or something. He just can’t remember some stuff that happened before the attack - which, by the way, your wonderful police force hasn’t done anything about.”  

After another ten minutes of questioning along the same lines, Brian gave up. Throwing his hands up in the air, he turned on his heel and walked away from the ‘Keystone Kops’, ignoring their admonitions to come back because they still had some questions. Brian was through wasting time.

“Ted, do you still have Justin’s old driver’s license,” Brian was already on the phone, relieved to finally feel that he was doing something productive. “Great. Give me his old home address. Got it. Thanks. Put me through to Cynthia.”

A half hour later, Brian was back in the ‘burbs for the second time this week, pulling up to an elegant looking ranch style house on a huge lot, only a half mile from the country club. Brian knew that the boy had probably come from the country club set, but actually seeing this place really shook him. He and Justin really did come from two different worlds, he thought, remembering the series of falling down rentals where he’d grown up.  

-Deep breath, Kinney. . .  Remember, this guy’s just as much an asshole as your dad was, just with more money to hide behind. . . I know he is involved somehow and if the cops won’t do anything, then I will.

Brian strode to the front doors and rang the bell, mentally comparing the melodious chimes that rang out with the loud off-key buzzer he remembered as the doorbell in the last place he’d lived in with his parents. He was about to ring a second time, thinking maybe no one was home, and already trying to figure out what he would do in that case, when he heard footsteps approaching from the inside. He sighed loudly when the door finally began to open, pulling his shoulders back and preparing himself to confront Justin’s father.

“May I help you,” said a petit, elegantly dressed blonde woman, holding the door ajar.

“I hope so,” Brian pulled out the Kinney charm thinking it was good for more than just winning over clients. “I’m looking for Craig Taylor. Do I have the correct residence?”

“Why, yes, you do, but I’m afraid my husband isn’t home right at the moment,” the polite blonde responded. “Is there anything I can help you with?”  

Brian thought briefly about whether or not he should confront this woman, apparently Craig’s wife, about Justin’s kidnapping. He thought better about it though - if he was wrong about Craig being involved, he didn’t want to be throwing around accusations. He had to see Craig Taylor and confirm that the man he’d seen was Justin’s father before he did that.

“Um, no. Thank you, but I really need to talk to Craig personally.” Kinney charm oozing out on full now. “Could you tell me where I could find him this morning. My business is rather urgent, I’m afraid.”

“Of course. You should be able to find him at his store. Please come in and I’ll write the address and phone number down for you,” the trusting woman replied, sweeping Brian into the entryway and then walking a short distance away to a small secretary’s desk against the nearby wall.  

Brian’s attention was immediately drawn to an array of framed family photos displayed on a foyer table set against the wall directly across from the door. The central photo of the grouping was a large 8x10 photo of Justin, smiling his best killer smile, looking happy and content. Brian could feel his heart rate speeding up just looking at that beautiful smile. He reached out and traced the lines of the familiar face with one finger, desperately wishing he could touch the real thing right now.  

“That’s my son, Justin,” came the woman’s voice from behind him.  

Brian cleared the sudden lump in his throat before replying. “He’s a handsome young man.”

“Yes. He is,” said the woman with obvious pride and love evident in her tone. “He’s an incredibly talented artist too. He drew this, in fact,” she said, proudly pointing to a large framed piece hanging on a nearby wall.  

Brian moved closer to the piece, examining the charcoal drawing of the woman standing next to him with a young girl. As usual, Brian thought, Justin’s work was magnificent.

“It’s absolutely beautiful,” Brian said truthfully. “Who is the girl?”

“That’s my daughter, Molly. Justin’s sister.” The woman seemed a bit melancholy, staring at the drawing, but quickly shook it off and turned back to Brian, handing him a slip of paper. “Here’s the address and phone number for the store. If Craig isn’t there, his secretary should be able to tell you how to get a hold of him, Mr. . . .?”

“Kinney. Brian Kinney.”

“It’s lovely to meet you Mr. Kinney. I’m Jennifer Taylor,” she said, offering her hand to the charismatic man.

“Mrs. Taylor.” Brian accepted and shook the woman’s hand. “Thank you for this. I really do appreciate it.”  

“Goodbye Mr. Kinney.” Brian stepped out and nodded as Jennifer closed the door behind him.

Brian slipped the small piece of paper in his jacket pocket as he walked back towards his car, reflecting as he went on the woman he’d just met. Jennifer Taylor wasn’t at all what he’d expected. From the limited and unpleasant contact he’d had with her husband, Brian had just assumed that Justin’s entire family were a bunch of homophobic assholes. Jennifer didn’t seem so bad though. She obviously loved her son and was proud of his talent. The subject of homosexuality hadn’t come up, of course, but she didn’t seem the type to cast off her son just because of his sexuality. Brian thought, once he’d recovered Justin, it might be worth it to get to know Jennifer Taylor a little better.  

That was assuming, of course, that Justin was okay. Brian shook his head, trying to dispel the negative thoughts. He wasn’t giving up on Justin. No fucking way.

Taylor Electronics’ main store was a typical ‘big box’ type store right off the interstate located in the middle of your average suburban strip mall. It was the type of business that just reinforced Brian’s disdain for the ‘burbs. Brian parked his car in the acres-wide parking lot and squared his shoulders, again preparing for the expected confrontation. As he walked towards the store entrance, he noted a silver Jaguar parked two spaces down from the doors.

Entering the store through the automatic sliding doors, Kinney walked up to the ‘customer service’ desk and asked to see Mr. Taylor. He was directed to the rear of the store, and told to go right on through the door marked ‘Employees Only’. Behind that door, he found a small office set up with a receptionist desk on the right side of the entryway. Brian approached the attractive redhead sitting behind the desk who was busy reading a paperback novel. He was just about to announce himself and ask to see Mr. Taylor, when a loud, demanding voice echoed out from one of the rear offices, distracting his attention along with that of the receptionist.

“Connie, get me the April invoices, damn it,” the order was accompanied by the appearance of the man behind the voice, as Craig Taylor strode through his office door bound for the brazen redhead, who rolled her eyes in Brian’s direction as she reluctantly put down her book and rose to comply with her boss’ directive.  

Brian recognized the man right off as the driver of the Jaguar from this morning. Craig recognized Brian Kinney, from the PI’s surveillance photos, at the exact same time. Brian could see the recognition in Taylor’s eyes and started to move towards the man. Taylor turned his back, pretending he hadn’t noticed the tall, handsome brunet, and started back towards his office. Brian arrived just as the office door was swinging closed and he angrily shoved it back against the wall as he barged into the spartanly decorated office space.  

“What the fuck are you doing?” Craig, who was standing behind his cluttered desk, turned to confront the intruder. “Whoever the hell you are, get out of my office.”

“You know who I am, Craig,” Brian said, his voice dripping with fury, not even slowing down as he stomped around the side of Craig’s desk, grabbed the older man by his shirt, and pushed him violently back against the wall. “Where the fuck is Justin.”

“I don’t know what the hell you mean,” Craig roared back at the taller man who had him pinned to the wall. “Get your fucking hands off of me before I call the police.”

“Great. Please, by all means, call the cops,” Brian said with a sneer, his face only millimeters away from Craig’s. “I’ve been trying to get them over here all morning. See, I saw you this morning, Craig. I know you had something to do with Justin going missing. Now, tell me where the fuck he is before I fucking smash your goddamned homophobic head in.”  

“I have no idea where Justin is,” Craig replied, his eyes sliding downwards and to the left, unable to continue looking directly at Brian. “The brat ran away a month ago and we haven’t heard from him since.”

“You and I both fucking know that isn’t true, Craig. Justin didn’t run away. You fucking abandoned him after he’d been attacked the night of his prom. You refused to come to the hospital to see him even. You goddamned piece of shit. Now, tell me, Where. Is. He.” Kinney thundered at Craig, emphasizing each of his final words by thumping the captive man back against the wall.  

“I told you, I don’t know where the goddamned little faggot is, and frankly, I couldn’t give a damn even if I did.” Craig’s face had turned a deep, unhealthy red and Brian could see a large blood vessel in his left temple pulsing as the man struggled to remove Brian’s hands from his shirt. “Now, get your fucking faggot hands off me and get out of my office.”

Brian realized that he wasn’t going to get anything out of Craig like this. The fucker knew something - Brian was sure he was lying through his fucking teeth. But he didn’t have time for this. He had to get to Justin and this wasn’t helping right now. Shoving the older man back against the wall with all the force he could muster, Brian released the crumpled fabric of Taylor’s shirt and took one step backward, still regarding the older man with evident scorn.

“Fuck this, Taylor. I know you’re lying. We’ll let the cops handle this. But, if Justin is hurt, in any fucking way, I’ll be back for you.” Brian didn’t bother to wait for a reply.  

Brian spun around and strode out of the office, through the store and back to his car, without pausing. When he got back in his car, Kinney dug through his pocket and pulled out a business card one of the detectives from this morning had given him. He noted the precinct address from the bottom of the card, tossed it aside and started the Jeep, determined to try one more time to get the cops to question Craig Taylor.

Brian had to drive all the way back downtown to get to the police station that was listed on the detective’s card. He was getting a queasy feeling in the pit of his stomach thinking about how much time had gone by since he’d seen Justin getting into that black sedan. This was taking just too fucking long and getting him nowhere so far, but he didn’t know what else to do.

He asked at the police station for the detective whose name had been on the card and was told to take a seat. A few minutes later a familiar looking older, balding man with a definite paunch, came striding towards Brian from the back of the station house. As the man neared, Brian recognized the detective that had questioned him at the hospital the night Justin had been attacked. He stood up to greet the man, meeting him halfway across the waiting area.

“Mr. Kinney? Carl Horvath. I’ve been assigned to the case you’re asking about. How can I help you,” the detective started, shaking Brian’s hand amiably.

“Aren’t you the cop that I talked to at the hospital the night Justin was attacked - at the Fairmont?” Brian asked, just to make sure.

“Oh yeah. I remember you now. You’re the boyfriend, right?” Horvath stated. “Are you here about that matter - if so, I’m afraid I don’t have anything more to tell you. That case has been shelved for the time being. My sergeant said you were here about this alleged kidnapping thing, though.”

“I am. Justin, the boy who was attacked that night, is the same one who was kidnapped this morning,” Brian began to explain, then paused as the idea that the two incidents might be related popped into his brain. He didn’t have time to analyze that idea, though, so he plowed on. “Detective, I think I know who’s responsible for Justin’s disappearance - his father, Craig Taylor.”

Horvath escorted Brian back to his desk and listened while he retold his story again. This time though, Brian was able to absolutely confirm that it was Craig Taylor who had been watching the abduction from the alley across the street. Horvath took notes as Brian spoke, thankfully, Brian thought, not interrupting. Brian ended his tale with a renewed plea that someone head out to arrest Taylor and pressure him to find out Justin’s whereabouts.

“Hold on, son,” Horvath cautioned. “We don’t have enough here to arrest the man, yet. I’ll admit it does seem kinda suspect, though. I will send some officers out to question the guy. In the meantime, I’ve got people out canvassing the neighborhood to find out if anyone else saw anything helpful and we’ve sent the kid’s cell phone down to forensics - I thought there might be something helpful in the phone memory.” Horvath stood as he said this, indicating to Kinney that the interview was over. “You should be back at your house, Mr. Kinney. You need to be there just in case your partner shows up or calls.”

“Fuck that,” Brian said under his breath - If the police weren’t going to take any real action, then he would do it himself.

Chapter End Notes:

How do you like Action/Paction!Brian?  TAG