- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

 

Darn - no good B/J moments in this chapter - too much important plot development.  But, it's all good.  Just keep reading!  TAG

Chapter 24 - The Search Continues.


The driveway and road outside the Taylor cabin were a complete circus. There were State Police, Clinton County Sheriffs, and even a couple of Pittsburgh PD squad cars. There were also State Park Rangers, two fire trucks and three ambulances. As soon as Brian and Justin had managed to disentangle themselves and find their clothes, they’d been escorted out of the cabin by EMTs and Brian’s injury bandaged.  


According to the tall black guy who cleaned and bandaged his head, Brian had been lucky. Apparently, when he turned to look at the door, he’d moved just enough so that Hobb’s swing only glanced against the back of his head. If he hadn’t moved right at that moment, the force of the blow might have killed him. As it was he was definitely going to need about twenty stitches and probably had a mild concussion.  


While the two lovers were sitting on the back of one of the emergency vehicles, still hand in hand and refusing to be separated, the County Coroner’s van pulled up and a few minutes later, a gurney with a sheet covered body was wheeled out and loaded into the back. Justin looked away while they were moving the body. Brian couldn’t empathize with him about this - as far as he was concerned the fucker deserved what he got - but he hated to see Justin upset for any reason and took pains to comfort his boy until the van drove off.  


A few minutes later, a Sheriff’s deputy led the older thug, someone had said his name was Carter, out of the cabin in handcuffs. The man was silent as he passed, scowling at his former captives. Right behind Carter came Detective Horvath and Ted Schmidt, who both walked directly over to the lovebirds - Ted still smirking a little and Horvath looking decidedly embarrassed every time he looked in Brian and Justin’s direction. Apparently, watching two guys fucking their brains out while being held captive in a forest cabin wasn’t a regular occurrence on the Pittsburgh police force. Brian thought he should feel honored to have witnessed such a great fuck - Justin had been magnificent, at least in Brian’s opinion.


“Kinney,” Horvath greeted the man who was holding a dressing against the back of his head while the EMT was looking for something in the back of the ambulance.  


“Well, Detective Horvath. What brings you out to the Great Western Wastelands,” Kinney’s usual sarcasm was back, indicating that he was already feeling much better. “Don’t tell me that you finally believe me about Justin being in trouble and all?”


“Well, it turns out you might have something there after all,” Horvath said good-naturedly, willing to admit his shortcomings. “Thanks to your friend Schmidt, here, I finally had some solid leads to pursue. You’re both lucky that he had pulled those property tax records and knew when you didn’t show up to call me.” Horvath clapped Ted on the shoulder affectionately. “You know, Kinney, you COULD have called me with the information you had instead of rushing up here like the Great American Hero trying to save the day? It would have been a lot easier on your head.”


“Sorry, Detective. But, you know how it is,” Brian said, his tongue firmly planted in his cheek. “I just couldn’t wait to get back to Justin’s sweet, hot, little ass.”


*Hmmm* “Actually, I don’t know,” Horvath said, looking down at his notebook in order to avoid Brian’s amused gaze, while the three gay men openly laughed at his embarrassment.


“Okay. Now you both get to answer a metric fuck ton of questions for me,”  Horvath went on, more comfortable to be back on topic.


“Sorry, Detective,” the attractive dark-skinned black EMT interrupted. “This man needs at least twenty stitches and may have a concussion. We need to get him to a medical facility and looked at by a doctor before you get into all your questions.” The EMT looked back at Brian as he finished speaking, an invitation clear in his dark chocolate eyes, and he ‘accidentally’ brushed his hip against Brian’s thigh as he turned back to his job of securing the bandage.  


“Detective Horvath,” Justin spoke up, “wouldn’t it be more convenient if we went back to Pittsburgh right away. Brian can be seen at the hospital there and it would definitely be quicker for you to question us on the drive there.”  


The opinionated blond turned to the EMT and smiled a saccharine sweet smile in his direction as he finished this suggestion. The man looked at Justin and then back at the gorgeous brunet, who merely shrugged at him with one eyebrow raised, and the man finally conceded the blond’s claim to the attractive, virile Kinney. When Horvath asked the EMT if it would be possible to transport Kinney back to Pittsburgh, a three hour plus drive, without risking his health, the lovely but outclassed black man just laughed and nodded, reluctantly relinquishing his patient.


Over the next three hours, Horvath asked question after question while a uniformed officer drove and Brian and Justin cuddled in the back seat of the squad car. Justin was careful not to point out that they were cuddling and Brian was careful to avoid noticing it, but both men seemed unable to keep their hands off one another. Horvath was careful not to look directly into the back seat, pretty sure that he didn’t want to see exactly what those hands were doing. By the time the group arrived at Allegheny General Hospital, Brian and Justin had told the whole story of the kidnapping and Carl felt he now had probable cause to arrest Craig Taylor.


The only oddity, as far as Carl Horvath could see, was that some of Justin’s answers were a little vague. For instance, he didn’t seem to recognize the cabin he’d been held in, even though it was still in the name of his paternal grandfather, Edward Taylor. In fact, Justin didn’t even recognize his grandfather’s name. And, when asked if he had any idea why his father, Craig Taylor, would be involved in his kidnapping, Justin seemed completely confused and at a loss for an explanation - definitely not what Horvath would have expected. Justin’s only response was that he didn’t have any contact with his family and didn’t know why his father would do anything to hurt him other than because he disapproved of the boy’s lifestyle. From the veiled looks Kinney was giving his partner, Horvath thought maybe the AdMan had more information - information he didn’t want to share with the younger man. Horvath felt in his gut that there was a lot more to this than meets the eye, but decided he’d hold off on this line of questioning for the time being.


Back in the Pitts, Horvath left the two ‘Kinney’ men at the hospital ER desk and called for another squad car to meet him at the Taylor residence. By the time the police arrived at Craig Taylor’s home it was past 9:00 pm. Carl Horvath led the team up to the front door, rang the bell and waited until the front door was opened by an attractive, forty-ish blonde, whose face showed complete amazement at the sight on her doorstep.


“Excuse me Ma’am,” Horvath began. “Is Craig Taylor here?”


“Yes, he is. But, may I ask what this is about?” Jennifer Taylor asked.


“Are you Mrs. Taylor?” Horvath asked and wasn’t surprised when the woman nodded. “I’m sorry to tell you this Mrs. Taylor, Ma’am, but I have an arrest warrant for your husband. He’s wanted in connection with the kidnapping and assault of Justin Kinney and his partner, Brian Kinney. So, if you would please stand aside and let these officers in to do their duty, I’d appreciate it greatly.”


Jennifer was too stunned to say anything further. She merely stepped aside and watched while the three uniformed police officers entered the house and moved into the living room where Craig was planted in front of the television. The older Taylor seemed blindsided by the appearance of police in his home. When Horvath informed him what he was under arrest for and read him his rights, though, Craig clammed up tighter than a virgin’s ass.  


“Craig. What the hell is this about,” Jennifer confronted her husband as he was being hustled through the living room and out the front door. “What is this about Justin? OUR Justin? You’re involved somehow with someone kidnapping our son? Craig! Answer me!”


“Shut the fuck up, Jennifer,” Craig commanded. “Call my lawyer and have him meet me at the police station. And DON’T say anything more.”


After Craig had been escorted out of the house and down the drive to one of the waiting police cars, Jennifer clasped Detective Horvaths’ jacket sleeve before he could leave the house.  


“Detective, please, is this about my son, Justin? He’s been missing for weeks. Has he been found? Do you know where I can find him?” Jennifer was pleading now, almost in tears, fearing after hearing the words ‘kidnapping’ and ‘assault’ that Justin was seriously hurt. “Please, detective, if he’s hurt, I have a right to know.”


“Relax, Mrs. Taylor. Justin appeared fine - it was his partner who was injured, but I don’t think it was too serious,” Horvath tried to reassure the distraught woman. “We left the two of them at Allegheny General about a half hour ago. You can probably still find them there if you hurry. Goodnight, Mrs. Taylor. Sorry for interrupting your evening, Ma’am.”


Jennifer slammed the door shut behind the retreating detective and ran to the phone. She was still confused about whatever was going on - Craig being arrested, Justin being kidnapped and assaulted and what was all that about Justin’s ‘partner’ - but all she cared about at the moment was finally finding her son. She could figure all the other stuff out later, she thought.


Picking up the phone and dialing ‘411’ she got the number for Allegheny General and waited while the call was connected. Then, she spent several minutes explaining to one unhelpful hospital employee after another what she needed until she was eventually put through to the emergency room intake desk. She quickly explained who she was trying to contact and waited on the line for the attendant to search for her son.


++++++++++++++++


“Excuse me. Are you Justin Taylor?” a young brunette woman who had just entered the curtained off area where Brian was getting his stitches asked.  


“No. The name is ‘Kinney’,” Justin responded, his attention focused on the cursing and complaining brunet sitting on the examination table as the poor baby suffered through getting yet another suture to the back of his head.  


Justin was too distracted to care about what or why the orderly was asking. He was too busy consoling Brian, who was heartbroken over the fact that they had shaved the back of his head in order to put in the stitches. Justin was also preoccupied by trying not to laugh at his partner who was far more upset at his haircut than at the actual stitches.


+++++++++++++++++++


“I’m sorry, Ma’am. I wasn’t able to locate any Justin Taylor here in the ER,” the attendant told the caller once she got back to the ER desk. “You might try the main hospital administration desk, though, in case the boy you’re looking for was admitted to another department.”


“Damn it - stupid incompetent idiots,” Jennifer almost cursed she was so angry.  


Jennifer wasn’t giving up so easily though. She knew she was close to finding her son and she wasn’t taking the word of those inept hospital peons. She would go see for herself.


“Daphne. It’s Jennifer Taylor. I may have located Justin. Can you be ready to come with me in five minutes? I’ll explain everything as we drive,” Jennifer said into her cell phone as she ran out the door, grabbing her coat and car keys as she ran to her car.


++++++++++++++++++


Halfway to the hospital, as she was telling Daphne what had transpired earlier this evening in her living room, something the detective had said finally clicked in Jennifer Taylor’s brain. She suddenly remembered Detective Horvath saying something about Justin’s ‘partner’, Brian Kinney. Then, she finally connected that name with the man that had come to her home early yesterday asking for Craig - she was almost 100% sure that man had said his name was Brian Kinney. And, again, that thought reminded her of the barrista on Liberty Avenue who had said something about Justin being seen with someone named, ‘Kinney’. It was finally all falling into place and Jennifer knew that Brian Kinney was the key to everything.


Jennifer dropped Daphne off outside the ER while she went to park the car. When she finally got inside, she found the exasperated young woman standing at the ER intake desk arguing with the attendant there. The attendant was trying to tell Daphne, once again, that she had no record of any ‘Justin Taylor’ having been admitted tonight and that she’d already tried looking for the man earlier this evening when someone else had called looking for him. Jennifer interrupted the woman before she could repeat herself for the third time.


“What about ‘Brian Kinney’? Do you have a Brian Kinney here?” Jennifer demanded breathlessly.


The woman glanced down at her computer screen and looked up smiling, glad to finally be able to help these frantic women.  


“Yes. We did have a Brian Kinney here earlier this evening,” said the attendant. Then, clicking the computer mouse a few times, she added, “but it looks like he was discharged already.”


“Yes! We’ve found him, Daph!” Jennifer shouted. Then turning back to the ER attendant she asked, “we need to find Mr. Kinney, right away. Can you give me his address, please.”


“I’m sorry, Ma’am. We can’t give out any patient information,” the stalwart attendant replied, watching as both womens’ faces fell.


++++++++++++++++++


“I have no idea, Daphne,” Jennifer was saying again. “I know it doesn’t make any sense that Justin would still be here in Pittsburgh, apparently with this man ‘Brian Kinney’, and wouldn’t have contacted us. But, this Kinney character keeps popping up too often for it to be simple coincidence. I’m sure he knows where Justin is - we just have to find Brian Kinney.”


The two women approached the front desk at the downtown police station and waited until the desk sergeant acknowledged them.


“Ladies, how can I help you?” the older man asked pleasantly.


“We’re trying to find Detective Horvath,” Jennifer explained. “He arrested my husband, Craig Taylor, earlier this evening. I need to talk with him about my son, Justin.”


“I think Carl may have already left for the night, Ma’am,” said the kindly policeman. “But, let me just check with the squad room and see for you. Just give me a minute, okay.”


The man picked up the desk phone and pushed an extension, asking whoever answered the line about Horvath’s whereabouts. He waited for several minutes for a response and then nodded his head and hung up the phone.


“I’m sorry, Miss,” the sergeant said to Jennifer. “Detective Horvath left about a half hour ago. I can take a message for you though and have him call you back in the morning.”


“Maybe you could help me instead, Sergeant,” Jennifer tried. “I need to get in touch with someone about my son’s, er, my husband’s, case - Detective Horvath was working on the case and told me the man’s name but I missed them at the hospital earlier. The man’s name is Brian Kinney. I believe he’s a witness on the case.”


“Sorry, Ma’am. We can’t give out witness contact information. Especially not to the wife of a suspect.”


“Of course you can’t,” Jennifer admitted in defeat.  


The dejected woman turned to leave, ready to give up, when Daphne grabbed her arm causing her to look up again.  


“Mrs. Taylor, I have an idea. Don’t give up yet,” Daphne said, smiling at the older woman who suddenly felt reassured and hopeful.

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

We're finally coming to the climax of the story.  I estimate there will be about 5 more chapters - depending on how distracted I get writing the sex scenes. He he he.  Hope you are all still enjoying!  TAG