- Text Size +
Story Notes:


Alternate Universe, Out of Character, Fluff

Emerald Enchantment

Chapter One: “Luck of the Draw”


March 14, 2006


Justin sketched what he could see of the New York City skyline, across the river from his Great Aunt's house in New Jersey.


He missed his bedroom in the apartment in the city; he missed his mom, his little sister, his dog, and even his father, who probably did not deserve to be missed by him at all. That was still home to him though. A home where he was no longer welcome.


Justin rocked back and forth on an old creaky porch swing, enjoying the night summer breeze as it grazed over his skin. The orange glow from the light by the front screen door cast the perfect light on his beautiful drawing of the city. New York City felt like a continent away, even though he could see the buildings clearly. While he sketched it lulled himself into a rare, peaceful state of being; until loud laughing coming from inside the house startled him.


He didn’t mean to listen in on the conversation that drifted through the open window. Nevertheless, he could not help but take in the conversation. It was Auntie Eleanor’s night to host the game of bridge with the old women from the country club. They were all in their late 60's and normally Justin would have had no interest in what any of them had to say. They were the uneducated-educated rich. Or, they all had once been. All of them were almost senile now. Any grace, beauty and propriety they'd once owned had long since passed them by. They were pinched faced, fat, rude old women. Anything they usually talked about bored Justin to death, or, at least made his stomach churn.


But tonight, he could have sworn that one had said his name and so he listened in closely to the conversation that followed the high-pitched laughter.


Not hearing anything important at first, his mind drifted back to that afternoon when the women arrived at his Aunt's house. This was Justin's first time seeing any of them since he'd come to live with his Aunt. He immediately felt uncomfortable, no matter how prepared he'd become for their snotty ways. The words they spoke to him and their fake smiles made him want to vomit more than he already had that morning. He was sure that most things coming out of their mouths would not be worth ingesting and they usually weren't. But he'd forced himself to stomach the immediate greetings and waited on them, bringing each woman tea and crackers when Auntie Eleanor asked. Finally, she’d dismissed Justin and he'd retreated with his sketchbook to the porch.


Justin heard his name prick at his ears again and his thoughts returned to the present time. He stopped his swinging completely. He reasoned to himself that he wasn't being impolite by listening. He figured that if they were talking about him, he was entitled to eavesdrop. Now, Justin could care less about the waspy manners his parents and Private Academy schooling had instilled into him.


“Well, Eleanor, no one would blame you one bit if you shipped him out. I mean, what do you want with a teenager?”


He recognized Mrs. Burtch's voice talking with a roaring laugh to her tone.


“Let alone...” said Mrs. Clarence.


“I know. Don't remind me,” Eleanor interrupted. She was very good at that. “Now, I have already made my decision. I don't wish to discuss the little tramp with you ladies,” Eleanor said haughtily. “We have much more important things to discuss.”


The women made hushing noises and cackled for a few minutes.


Eleanor cleared her throat and asked, “Now who won last week?”


Silent tears poured down Justin's face. Listening to the strangers talk about him and his life as though he were nothing more than a tramp made him feel sorry for snooping. They regarded him as less deserving of life, regarded his child as such, and thought of him as less than human.


Really though, it was women like them, who were the inhuman ones.


It was painful, but he kept listening anyway. The conversation once again drifted toward his life. They were talking about what they all thought his future held. None of the words they spoke held any promise for Justin but the young boy could barely think what they were saying held any falsities.


Six months ago, Justin’s future had seemed so certain and bright. Even if that future was also one that his mother and father had decided for him. Two months ago, it all came crashing down around him.


Ironically when he made his own decisions, he had, in fact, royally fucked up his entire life. Yet in a way, he still did not regret those decisions.


***


October 29, 2005


Robbie and Justin had been dating for a little over six months. It was senior year and Justin was constantly pressured about when he would finally give up his virginity and allow Robbie to fuck him.


Justin told his parents that he was staying at a friend’s house after the dance. He borrowed his dad's credit card to pay for a hotel room. He was going to surprise Robbie. Justin decided that after the Halloween dance he would finally have sex with his boyfriend.


The upcoming night stressed Justin out. All day he prepared himself and planned for the night to come. When everything was perfect, he left his hotel room looking like a sexy Draco Malfoy.


Robbie was supposed to be there dressed as Harry Potter; Justin thought that he looked a lot like Daniel Radcliffe. A few weeks ago, he had to beg Robbie to dress up as the famed wizard because Robbie thought that liking Harry Potter was beneath him. After Justin had given his boyfriend an amazing blowjob, Robbie had finally agreed. Justin bought their costumes and had even tried his on a few times before that night. He wanted everything to be perfect and wanted to make sure that he looked great in his clothes; clothes he would be taking off with the intent of losing his virginity a short time after.


When Justin arrived at the party hall, it took him nearly a half hour to find Robbie amongst the huge crowd of students. The students packed into every available space in the hall. Everyone he asked about Robbie’s whereabouts seemed completely aloof and had no answer for Justin.


Justin continued to search for his boyfriend, all the while texting him and receiving no message in return. Finally, one of the students Justin knew as one of Robbie’s friends was able to direct Justin to where she’d last seen his boyfriend.


Justin stopped in his tracks at the sight of his boyfriend once he found him. Robbie was dressed as Peter Pan and making out with Wendy in a secluded corner.


“What are you doing, Robbie?” Justin yelled as he marched over to them. Of course, he knew what they were doing but he just couldn’t believe what he’d seen.


Peter and Wendy, a.k.a. Robbie and Mica Jacobs who was captain of the cheerleading squad, broke apart. Mica gave him an evil smirk as Robbie narrowed his cool blue eyes at him and spoke, “We're done Justin.”


“What do you mean?” Justin asked, shaking inside as he tried to hold back his tears and process the situation before him.


“Look, it was fun, Justin. But let’s face it, we weren’t going anywhere,” Robbie replied tersely.


“B...B...but, I was going to… tonight... I thought...you loved...you... and her?” Justin could not speak a full sentence; his mind was racing from the shock of Robbie’s betrayal. Not only was Robbie cheating on him, but he was also telling him that they were over, because of a girl! Justin could hardly believe that was possible.


“Look, Justin,” Mica spoke snidely. “Robbie just does not feel that way about you. You knew he was bisexual. How long did you really think he would wait before finding someone that appreciated him and give him what he really needs? I can't believe a gorgeous thing like him had to wait so long.” Mica started to giggle as she rubbed her hands along Robbie’s chest.


Justin's heart raced and tears fell down his cheeks in quick torrents. He could not believe that Robbie had been cheating on him! He didn't want to believe it. But he had to; it was sickeningly right in front of his face. “You're both sluts!” Justin yelled. He draped his cape to hide the tears on his face while he made his way through the crowd, running out of the dance hall.


By the time he walked the twelve blocks to the hotel he had rented, he had calmed down bit. He felt like a complete fool, but he was glad that he had not been a bigger one and given himself to Robbie previously. After working out what had happened in his head, he felt a sense of relief, though his heart was still breaking a little bit.


When he got to his room, he realized that it was still early, only 8:30. He wanted to veg out and hoped the shops down in the lobby were open. He could really use a new pack of smokes and some munchies since he'd smoked his last two on the walk home and hadn't eaten since breakfast because of his nervousness.


Justin was in luck as he reached the lobby area and saw the shops were still open. He decided upon a pint of chocolate milk, his cigarettes and a bag of fun-yuns.


Justin was browsing the aisles and nearing the register when he heard someone yelling at the clerk.


“What the fuck da ya mean you won't take a fucking credit card after eight o’clock?”


Justin immediately loved the Irish accent in the man’s voice, even if it was speaking in anger.


“I'm sorry sir. That is our policy. If you have cash or a personal check issued from this state, that would be fine,” the clerk’s voice seemed very rude.


“I don’t suppose you have a Bank of Ireland here?” The man laughed sarcastically and shoved his hands into his pockets and grumbled, “Bastard.”


Justin saw the geeky looking employee smirk at the tall man as he put his purchases beside the angry customer. When he looked up toward the man, his breath caught.


The Irishman was a fucking GOD! He had dark auburn hair and piercing hazel eyes and the most beautiful face; Justin had never seen someone so perfect.


“Ya have a problem there, boy?” the man asked him, the green eyes burned into Justin's blue gaze.


Justin felt his heart leap and race; the Irish accent was just too sexy. “N...no. I don't.” Justin looked to the counter. He saw that all the man was trying to buy was the pack of Marlboro lights on the counter. “But I guess you do. How ‘bout I buy those for you? I have some cash and if you want to, you can write me a check for them.”


The gorgeous man eyed Justin for a moment before smiling. “My check book is up stairs. I’ll pay ya back. I just figured they'd take the card. I don’t usually carry American dollars on me.”


Justin managed a nervous laugh, “It's no trouble. I am going up after I buy this anyway. I can follow you up.” Realizing how forward that sounded Justin immediately began to back track. “But, I don't mind just paying for them. I need a pack myself and this stuff,” he told the clerk who began to ring up his items.


“No, I'd feel much better if I could pay ya for them. Fuckin’ fags cost a mint here in the States.”


“Okay then, I'll follow you up. What floor are you on?” Justin asked as the clerk gave him his sack of purchases.


“The Penthouse,” the Irishman told him.


Justin smiled as they made their way to the lobby of elevators, happy to be walking next to someone who was so beautiful. The man must have been rich too, not that Justin cared about money. He liked nice things but he was not obsessed with obtaining them the way his family and friends were. He knew though that it cost a grand a night to stay in the Penthouse. His parents often roomed there when they were having one of their frequent remodeling of their apartment, so the man had to have some decent cash.


“Are you staying here long?” Justin asked, wanting to know more about this slightly older, charming man.


“Leave tomorrow morning,” the man replied and gave Justin a smile. “S’shame though.”


****


March 14, 2006


Justin’s family was deciding his future. However, it was all still so elusive. He had brought the family shame and he was being coerced into sitting back quietly while they continued in the good graces of their country club, high-class group. Justin had no idea what he was going to do tomorrow let alone in a few more months. He hated that his family seemed to have all the answers when he had none. He knew it should not be this way.


“Now, El, don't leave us hanging,” Justin heard one of the women giggle.


“Oh, alright, just don't go gossiping about it until it's done. I don't need any more bad attention brought on my family.”


“Oh, Eleanor, it's not your fault your dear brother raised, and I use that term lightly, a lunatic son who in turn raised well, how should I say this, a...”


“Ruth, that's enough,” Eleanor interrupted the old bitter woman. “He is still my family, even if he has strayed away from our family’s ideals. If I completely abandon him then I will be no different from my nephew.” She then said in a lighter tone, “So back to the matter at hand, a friend of his mother's has expressed interest in the boy. She has two kids of her own. She had been rather close to Jen and the family when Justin was younger but now lives in Paris. We are going to discuss the particulars tonight over the phone and then with the boy when the time comes. If I have anything to do with it, he will be staying with them. Far, far, away from here.”


“But what will happen once the bastard child is born?” Ruth asked.


“Justin will of course leave the child with that family and continue with his education.”


Justin felt his stomach churning. He could not believe that his mother would truly arrange for something like that to happen. He wanted to keep the baby. Justin knew that it would be hard, but he planned to keep his child and would do whatever it took to make that happen.


“Well that’s one way to take care of the problem,” Mrs. Burtch laughed.


The problem? Justin thought. They’re talking about my baby as if it isn’t a living thing, a part of me! He took deep breaths and tried to calm himself down, his hand protectively rubbed at his stomach. “I won’t let that happen to us, baby. I promise. I’ll keep you; I’ll make sure of it.”


“It’s the best thing for all of us,” Eleanor told the women. “I’ll make sure Jennifer sees my point when we have our chat."


Justin felt anger boil up from the pit of his stomach. His entire body was shaking, he felt the tell tale spit climbing up the back of his throat, signaling him that he was minutes away from being sick. He threw the sketchpad off his lap and stood up. He turned and gripped the fencing on the deck as the spasms started and he emptied his stomach, right onto Eleanor’s prized roses.


Justin rested his head on the cool wood railing as he got his body under control. Though, the world around him was starting to spin and he felt light headed. He could not control that, just as he could not control the fact that almost nothing he had eaten that day had stayed down. The morning sickness had passed almost two months prior, but it had sprung up, wreaking havoc nearly all day for the last two weeks. He was scared, constantly scared and his stomach seemed to always be in knots ever since he told his parents he was pregnant.


Justin took a few more deep slow breaths and once he got himself together, he silently walked into the house and went into the bathroom, used the toilet and then brushed his teeth. When Justin stared at his reflection in the mirror, he saw that the dark circles under his eyes had become much more noticeable in the two weeks since he had been living at Eleanor’s house. He was becoming physically ill in many different ways from all the stress he was under.


Justin walked back into his bedroom and sat down heavily on the firm, uncomfortable mattress. He let out a long deep sigh and felt his emotions starting to get the better of him as his eyes began to tear up. He successfully fought them off as he crawled under the covers into the bed. The stress was causing him to be sick, but also to lose weight and feel lethargic all day long. He even had a hard time sleeping at night, getting maybe a few good hours of rest. The remainder of the night, he tossed and turned with nightmares and memories.


This place isn’t good for us, he thought, rubbing his small belly. But we will be gone from all this soon. When we are, I’ll take better care of the both of us, Justin promised silently to his child and fell into an exhaustion prompted fitful sleep.


 

XXXXX