- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Michael struggles to accept that things are changing, what he needs is a reality check…

Title: Christmas Presents…
Story Type: AU
Word Count: 5194
Rating: R, Porn…
Warnings: Passion, Lust, M-Preg…
Beta Queen: BigJ52
Banner: aaa_mazing

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, plot, etc. are property of their respective owners, including, but not limited to Russell T. Davies, Cowlip, and Showtime. The author of this story is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended…

Summary: Michael struggles to accept that things are changing, what he needs is a reality check…

Chapter Eighteen ~ Reality Check

The sun is shining brightly although there is a crispness in the air. Justin’s taking the kids for a walk downtown when Gus decides he wants a cookie. Just the thought of cookies makes Justin’s mouth water, and his stomach grumble. They’re practically in front of The Liberty Bakery. He hesitates for a moment, and then decides that now is as good a time as any to talk with Michael. Gus is standing looking into the huge display case, but he can’t seem to make up his mind; he wants doughnuts, cookies, and cannoli.

These days Justin’s cravings make it hard for him to say no, so they buy a huge box of pastries with a variety of baked goods to indulge in over the next couple of days. Gus loves that Justin is pregnant; he never says no like he used to when he’d asked for candy and ice cream all the time. They’re both happy campers these days.

Michael comes out from the back with a tray of fresh-baked cupcakes and sees Justin and the kids at the counter. At first he thinks about ignoring them, but they make eye contact and Justin smiles back at him.

“Michael, do you a have a minute? Maybe you could take a break and we could have coffee?”

“What for?”

“I was hoping we could talk.”

“What about?”

This wasn’t going to be easy. Michael seems determined to make this difficult, still being stubborn, and unreasonable.

“Michael, just a few minutes. I think we need to talk about what’s happened between you and Brian.”

“That’s between me and Brian!”

“No, I don’t think it is. It has everything to do with me, and we need to clear the air.”

Michael stares at him for a minute, “Fine!”

He throws his apron under the counter and comes over and takes a seat in the farthest booth from the counter. He doesn’t want his boss, or co-workers hearing their conversation.

“What do you want? I’m working!”

“I was hoping that we could talk about what’s happened between you and Brian. I know you’re upset, but we need to get past all this.”

“You expect me to just accept that you’re going to be around forever now? Accept that Brian wants to marry you?”

“Yes. Yes, I do. Because that’s exactly how things are, how they’re going to be. And the sooner you realize it, the sooner you and Brian can start to rebuild your friendship.”

“As if you care about my friendship with Brian.”

“You’re right, I don’t. I think it’s unhealthy and run its course. But I do care about Brian, and if he needs your friendship then I want to help him rebuild it. I want him to be happy. You and I are never going to be friends, although I thought at one point we might have had a chance. It’s obvious that you’re full of resentment and anger towards me. But if you want Brian to remain in your life, then you’ll have to accept that we’re a couple. We have a family, and we love each other.”

“I HAVE TO? NO, I DON’T! AND DON’T TELL ME WHAT TO THINK!”

“That’s your choice. I just thought that you’d want to rekindle your friendship with Brian.”

“What I want is for you to leave Brian! To get out of all our lives and for things to go back to the way they were before you showed up under that damn streetlamp.”

“That’s just another one of your childish fantasies! For once try and live in reality. Even if Brian and I split up, which we won’t. But if we did, I’d still be a very integral part of his life. That’s what children do. They bind people together for life. So I’m not going anywhere and you need to accept that.”

“So, I guess you won!”

“Michael it was never a contest. Please, for Brian’s sake. Try and accept reality.”

“I have to go back to work!”

After returning behind the counter he watches Justin help Gus on with his coat, zipping him up. Then he tucks blankets in around Jamie to keep him warm in his stroller. He hates it when Justin’s right, it’s like another slap across his face.

~~~

“Daddy! Daddy, you’re home!”

Gus comes running towards him, and then he jumps into his arms. Brian can’t help reminiscing about how in the early days Justin would rush to him, thrusting himself into his arms after a long day of work.

“Yeah, Sonny Boy!”

“Daddy, I have your money!”

“You do?”

“Yep. Cynthia says you were a very good boy today, so I have your pay.”

“Oh…”

Gus runs over to his animal crackers box and pulls out a wad of cash-little pink, white, blue, green, yellow, and gold bills. He’s thrilled as he spreads the cash on the table, deciding how much to give Brian. He settles on $4,517.00. Brian’s fascinated how he came up with that amount. Gus explains that he loves pink, so only he can have the pink bills. He gives Brian eight $500 bills because he hates the color gold, then he mixes in two $100 bills, five $50 bills, six $10 bills and seven singles.

“Gus, do you know what the number is on your pink dollars?”

Gus looks at it, thinking, then looks at Brian. “Five?”

“That’s right, do you see the number on my gold bill?”

Gus stares at it, really thinking about it then he says, “Five, zero, zero? Daddy, does that mean it’s less than five?”

“No, silly, I just wanted you to know that the gold one is much, much more money.”

“Okay, Daddy, so let’s say the pink ones are really a million dollars.”

“That’s my boy.”

Justin comes upstairs with a load of Jamie’s clean clothes, folded and ready for the dresser in the playroom.

“You’re home!”

Brian comes over and takes the laundry basket, bending over and kissing Justin hello.

“Daddy! You kissed Justy! That will be ten dollars!”

“Ten dollars? Hmm…”

“Yep, and Daddy. No funny stuff! That’s extra!”

“It always is…”

“He found the monopoly game after lunch, and he’s been fascinated by the money all afternoon.”

“So how much was your pay?”

Justin chuckles. “He actually said that I had to take out a loan. You see, I don’t have a job.”

Brian burst out laughing. “Yep, that’s my boy. He’s no fool.”

Justin playfully smacks Brian across his chest.

“I have to check on the chicken enchiladas.”

As Justin starts to step away, Brian pulls him into his arms and kisses him passionately while Gus’s back is turned. He’s watching Jamie struggle as he tries to lift himself up on his arms, looking like he’s doing pushups. Gus loves his baby brother and is fascinated with his ever-changing facial expressions.

Brian is going upstairs after changing into his jeans and t-shirt, when Gus calls out to him.

“Daddy! Daddy, do you want to buy one of my beautiful pictures I colored for you?”

“Oh my, that is beautiful. How much is this one?”

“For you Daddy, it’s only five hundred dollars. But not the gold one.”

They have dinner and Brian suggests that maybe Justin needs to get a car. Now with the kids, they’ll need another vehicle. Justin worries about Brian buying him another expensive gift and about how the family or Michael will react.

“Justin? You know once we’re married I don’t expect us to have separate money. I understand that it takes time to sell your artwork. But I have no doubt that you’ll be hanging in the homes of very wealthy clients in no time.”

“Brian…”

“I’m serious, about both. You already know that I’ve had your name added to all my bank accounts. And you’re so talented, it’s truly just a matter of time…”

“Oh, Brian…”

Not that he wants to bring this conversation down, but he knows he has to tell Brian about talking with Michael.

Justin says, “Brian, I ran into Michael this morning, and things didn’t go as well as they could have.”

“I don’t doubt that. It seems Michael is really digging his heels in about this. He actually expects me to apologize to him.”

“Oh God, Brian… I’m sorry if I’ve made things between you two so strained.”

“Don’t worry about it… I’m not. Michael will come around, or he won’t. It’s up to him.”

After dinner Gus slips a $100 bill next to his plate, leaving Justin a tip. Brian and Justin can’t help laughing at Gus’s antics. Who knows? Maybe it will be educational for him learning the value of a dollar. He’s now playing with all the little monopoly charms, houses and hotels from the game, when he comes over and gives Justin the sports car.

“Now you have a car that’s all your own.”

Justin can’t help but think he’s just precious, loving to be able to share these simple interactions with him daily.

~~~

Later that evening Michael meets Emmett for a drink at Woody’s.

“Can you believe that little bastard had the nerve to tell me I had to accept that Brian and him were a couple? That they’re getting married.”

“Well… You do, don’t you?”

“I can’t believe that Brian sent him over to do his bidding, rubbing everything in my face.”

“I seriously doubt that Brian sent him to see you.”

“Who the hell does he think he is?”

“Michael, Justin’s right. He’s always going to be part of Brian’s life. If you want to remain friends with Brian, you’ll have to learn to accept that.”

“I can’t believe you’re taking his side. I thought you were my friend.”

“I’m not taking anybody’s side, and I’m friends with all of you. I mean, really, Michael! Brian and Justin have been a couple for years now. I’m just trying to make you see reality.”

“They are not a couple! Brian’s doesn’t do boyfriends!”

“Whatever you want to call it. They’ve been together longer than you and Ben were together.”

“They have not!”

“Really, Michael? You know they may have had an open relationship, and even split up for a while. But they’ve never stopped loving each other. They’re meant to be together.”

“No! No! Brian and I were meant to be together.”

“Michael, don’t you think it would have happened by now, if it was going to happen?”

“He wasn’t ready, but now he is.”

“Michael, please don’t take what I’m about to say the wrong way but… Brian needs someone in his life that will inspire him, challenge him, someone who is more his equal.”

“Are you saying that I’m stupid?”

“No, you just have different interests. Like with David, you didn’t really have anything in common. And as you found out it’s hard to make a relationship work if you’re not mentally stimulated by one another.”

“So you’re taking Ted’s side too. You think I was too stupid to have a relationship with David?”

“I’m just saying that you need to find someone who shares more of your own interests.”

“You really do think I’m stupid!”

“No, no. It’s just that I can’t imagine that you’d be very comfortable if you were out to dinner with one of Brian’s clients. You wouldn’t know what to talk about.”

“Oh, because I’d rather drink coca cola and read comic books, instead of drinking fancy wines and talking about the latest art exhibit at the museum?”

“Quite frankly, yes. You need to find someone who’s a better fit, someone you have more in common with.”

“Well, fuck you, Emmett! I don’t need you ragging on me just like my mom or Justin!”

With that, Michael stomps out of Woody’s, practically in tears. Why couldn’t anyone understand how he felt? Why didn’t they want to help him find a way to make Brian see that they belonged together?

Once home he sits in his tiny apartment thinking about how much his life has changed since Christmas. It’s true he is resentful towards Justin for having come home to Brian, especially now they’re engaged and expecting a second child. He is angry about Ben’s death; he feels like Hunter has somehow robbed him of their time together. He is mad that everyone found out about his gambling, and he’s ashamed that he lost the house and his comic book store.

But mostly he is angry that everyone’s life seemed to be moving along, while he is stuck treading water, or worse sliding backwards. He hates that David is back, and now dating Ted. Ted, of all people? How could this have happened? His own mother didn’t even support him or understand how he feels. She is taking everyone else’s side: Hunter, Ted, Brian and Justin’s. Why doesn’t anyone understand what he’s going through?

He finds himself standing at his kitchen counter, downing his third beer in the last half an hour. The alcohol is starting to take effect, numbing the pain. That’s when he‘s startled by someone knocking on his door. He opens it and is surprised to see Keith, one of his gambling buddies standing there.

“I ran into your mom at the diner and she said that you were working at the bakery, and living upstairs.”

“Yeah, I ended up losing my comic book shop. I had a run of bad luck and just couldn’t seem to turn it around.”

“I know how that is. I’ve had my share of bad runs myself. So do you still play? Or are you truly reformed?”

“I haven’t been back to Big Jack’s since I got in over my head and had to have my best friend bail me out.”

“So, you’re not tempted to try your hand at it again?”

“Well, yeah… But I’m trying to stay clean. My mom would kill me if she found out I was gambling again.”

“Your mommy, ha, ha, ha…”

“Shut up, Keith! It’s not funny. I really fucked up.”

“I understand. I just thought that you might want to have a little fun. Try your luck at a few hands, for old time’s sake.”

“Well… It is tempting. But I don’t really have any cash.”

“I’ll tell you what, I’ll front you a couple of hundred to get you started.”

“Okay, that sounds like fun. Besides I need something to take my mind off my troubles. So why not?”

Keith and Michael head out to Big Jack’s and play cards into the wee hours of the morning; Michael ends up spending the night with Keith. He wakes up at the crack of dawn, barely having had four hours of sleep before he’s scheduled to start his morning shift at the bakery. But he’s feeling good about himself; he won four hundred dollars last night and he has plans to see Keith again tonight. Keith is great for his ego, and it is time that things turned around for him. He’ll show Brian he doesn’t need him. He has someone who is just as good looking as Brian, someone who wants him.

~~~

Brian is putting Gus to bed but as he tucks him in he hears the crinkling of paper and asks Gus. “What is that?”

“Nothing, Daddy.”

Brian leans down to kiss Gus goodnight, and hears the crinkling again as his hand rests on the bed. He looks at Gus as he pulls the blanket back to see all of Gus’s monopoly money under his pillow and blankets.

“Gus, let’s set this aside, it’s got to be uncomfortable laying on it?”

“No, daddy. I don’t want the tooth fairy to steal it.”

“Gus, she won’t steal it. She isn’t even scheduled to stop by, unless you’ve lost a tooth I don’t know about.”

After much coaxing, he finally convinces Gus that it will be safe on his nightstand. Brian can’t help thinking Gus is so adorable, and he wonders if he was ever this sweet and innocent.

~~~

Brian walks into the bedroom after finally getting Gus to sleep and sees Justin eating potato chips in bed, getting crumbs all over the sheets.

“Justin! Must you eat that in bed?”

“What?” he says innocently…

“You’re getting grease and crumbs all over our 800 thread count sheets!”

Justin just rolls his eyes, and brushes off the sheets, motioning for Brian to join him. Brian shakes his head as he leans over to capture his lips, tasting the salty flavor, making his desire for both Justin and his bags of chips increase tenfold.

“What am I going to do with you?”

Justin smirks as he rolls over on his stomach, flaunting his perky bubble butt as a peace offering. Brian’s never been able to resist temptation, as he shimmies out of his jeans and crawls up Justin’s back. Covering Justin’s body with his, he starts nibbling and running kisses over his neck, until he reaches that special place just below his left ear. The one that he knows drives Justin crazy with need and desire. Justin wiggles underneath him, pushing his plump ass against Brian’s raging hard-on, loving the way it feels pressed between his cheeks.

Little moans escape his throat as Brian nips and sucks his neck which is sure to leave a mark. Brian makes good use of his hands, pulling Justin up onto all fours as his lips and tongue continue to assault him, leaving Justin wanting more. He’s putty in Brian’s hands with his senses on overload, and his desire bubbling within. He’s practically purring, so excited because he knows what’s coming next. Brian’s tongue runs down his back, leaving a wet trail over his spine, as his hands spread his cheeks.

He trembles as waves of pleasure wash over him as he feels Brian tongue lick and prod his rosebud. His moans are getting louder, the deeper Brian’s tongue delves into his crevice, and he can’t help remembering hearing Brian say, “Now you know what rimming is.”

Yes, he’s learned from the master; learned everything he knows about giving and receiving pleasure. It may have taken them years to get here, but they’re finally at the precipice, ready to commit to each other, forsaking all others. Yes, that persistent little twat has definitely snuck in under the wire, turning Brian’s world upside down and the strange part is Brian wouldn’t have it any other way.

Justin is chanting, “Brian, Brian, Brian.”

Brian swirls his tongue around his pucker one more time, bringing Justin to the brink as his thumb caresses his mushroom head, triggering his orgasm. Justin cries out Brian’s name again as he shoots into Brian’s hand. Soon it’s dripping down, soaking the sheets as Justin’s body turns into a puddle of love. Brian loves that he can still turn Justin into that naïve little boy, begging to experience everything Brian can make him feel.

Justin collapses onto the bed, catching his breath as his heart races, barely conscious of the fact that he’s now laying on the wet spot. He rolls over and Brian quickly lifts his legs up onto his shoulders, using his cum-covered hand to coat his dick. Then he’s ready with his cock aligned with Justin’s opening. One long smooth thrust and he’s breached his tight ring of muscle. They’re both overcome with intense sensations as they feel their skin gliding against one another, still in awe of the delicate ripples that vibrate through them, knowing this is the way it’s meant to be. They’ll never experience this with anyone else. This is love. This is the true commitment they’ve made to one another.

They’re both so lit, it doesn’t take much thrusting for them to find themselves close to the edge. Justin’s moaning again and Brian’s grateful that they soundproofed the bedroom. Justin’s always been a screamer, and now that there’s no barrier he’s even louder that he used to be. Justin’s in heaven as Brian hammers his sweet spot, finally giving in, letting his body quake with pleasure as his climax pulsates throughout him. Brian explodes moments later as Justin slick walls clench and release him, triggering his own orgasm.

Brian rests his forehead in the middle of Justin’s back, both spent as they linger in that euphoric state, still amazed that their lovemaking has reached such an extreme high. They can’t help feeling like they’re the only ones to ever experience such intense pleasure, and the bond between them seems unbreakable. Brian may not be able to verbalize all the emotions that he’s feeling, but knowing that Justin is his, makes him feel an inner peace he never knew existed before.

They disengage, and then snuggle together, spooning one another as sleep takes them. Neither one of them has ever felt this happy before…

~~~

The next morning Justin is making cocoa for him and Gus, having woken up with a craving for chocolate. He’s just adding miniature marshmallows to the hot chocolate as he waits for Jamie’s bottle to warm up. He sets Gus’s cocoa down on the table, reminding him that it’s still hot and he needs to let it cool. Gus looks at Justin like he thinks he’s still a baby. “I know that.”

“Of course you do, but I’d hate to have you burn your mouth.”

They both turn towards the door when they hear someone knocking. Justin quickly finger combs his bedhead hair, and smooths out the wrinkles in his shirt before he pulls the loft door open. Joan Kinney stares back at him, holding her famous chocolate-chocolate-chip cake.

Justin’s slightly shocked as the last time he saw her was at Christmas time when she actually said that she had talked with Father Thom, and was working on accepting Brian’s lifestyle. Always being the polite WASP that he was raised to be he asks her in, offering her cocoa or a cup of coffee; surprisingly she accepts the offer of hot chocolate.

Justin quickly makes her a cup, and brings plates and silverware back to the table where they make small talk, enjoying the rich cake as it delights their taste buds. This is the first time that Joan has met Gus, and she’s so surprised at how much he looks like Brian at that age. Just then Jamie starts to fuss, crying out for Justin. Just like his father he always wants to be the center of attention. Joan looks on, watching the interaction between father and son. Even Gus stands next to Justin as he holds Jamie close to his chest, swaying back and forth to help calm him. Justin notices that faraway look in Joan’s eyes, and asks her if she’d like to hold him.

“They grow up so fast. I can still remember holding Brian when he was just a baby.”

Again she’s struck by how much both of Brian’s sons look like him when he was a child, and she knows that they’ll both grow up to be just as handsome as their father. She knows she’s stalling for time, and she’s still a little unsure how this conversation will go. But she really does want to find a way to bring her dysfunctional family back together. She just hopes that Justin will agree to talk with Brian; she can see just how much they care for one another. No, make that love each other. It’s so apparent that the two of them share a special bond. A bond that was never shared between her and Jack, and she’s happy for Brian, happy that he’s finally found a way to be loved.

As Justin and Gus make their way through a second piece of cake, Joan mentions that she’s worried about her daughter Claire. She’s separated from her husband. It seems that he’s run off with his PA, leaving Claire to try and support herself and the boys. She been working two, sometimes three jobs to keep from losing the house, and as a result the boys have been on their own and getting into trouble. Joan casually mentions that she knows that John was way out of line when he accused Brian of molesting him, but she hopes that Brian can forgive him.

She thinks that the boys need a strong male influence in their lives, and wonders if maybe Brian might be willing to spend some time with them when Claire is at work. John and Peter are both interested in soccer, and she knows that Brian played on a team in high school. She even mentions that there’s a soccer league that meets a couple of times a week in the afternoons, but they need a coach. She looks at Justin with a hopeful look in her eyes, knowing that she’ll need his help in convincing Brian to consider helping out.

Justin’s actually thinks that this might be a good idea, more so because Brian’s working too much and needs a healthy outlet for all his pent-up energy and stress he’s under. It’s the part about being the strong male influence that he’s concerned about. After all this is Brian’s mother and sister we’re talking about. But they both have been more accepting of their relationship, and Justin agrees that it would be a good way to mend fences between him and his family.

“Mrs. Kinney, I think this is something you need to talk to Brian about.”

“I know, but… I’m worried that he won’t be very receptive if it comes from me, or Claire. I was hoping that maybe you’d talk with him. Help him understand that we really do want to let go of the past, and build a relationship with him, to be a real family.”

“I don’t know, Mrs. Kinney. I admit that things have been better between all of you since Christmas, but I’m afraid that Brian still harbors some resentment over the incident with John. Have you even asked John and Peter how they feel about spending more time with Brian? The last thing we need is for them to resent Brian inserting himself into their lives.”

“No, I haven’t spoken with Claire, or the boys. I wanted to find out if Brian was even interested before I approached them.”

“It seems that we both need to have a talk with them and see if they’re even on the same page. I can’t promise you anything, but I’ll try and talk with Brian about this over the weekend. Maybe you’re right, maybe this would be the perfect thing to try and heal old wounds.”

Joan thanks Justin for hearing her out, knowing that it might be like trying to move a mountain to get Brian to even consider coaching the soccer team, and getting to know his nephews. Justin walks her to the door, and of course thanks her for the yummy chocolate-chocolate-chip cake, telling her he’ll try but he can’t promise anything. As he watches the elevator descend he thinks to himself that he’s surprised that Claire wasn’t asking for money, and Joan didn’t seem to have been drinking at all. Wonders never cease…

~~~

Brian has just finished up pitching the new ad campaign to ‘Full Beams,’ a start-up lighting company that specialized in modern lamps and lighting. He’s taken them out to lunch to seal the deal. When he opens his wallet to pay the bill, several gold five-hundred dollar bills fall on the table. Everyone’s eyes shifted to them, as a smirk spreads across Brian’s face and he thinks about Gus.

“I see my son’s been playing with my wallet.”

“That’s so sweet. How old is he?”

“He’s four. He just discovered the monopoly money yesterday afternoon, and he’s totally obsessed with it.”

“That’s adorable. He sounds like he takes after his father, knowing the value of a dollar.”

Brian pays the check and walks his clients out to their car, setting a date for presenting the final television commercials they discussed. As he watches them drive off he pulls out his phone and calls Justin, letting him know that he’ll be home early after having just signed the new contract with ‘Full Beams’. He offers to pick something up for dinner, so Justin won’t have to worry about cooking. They’ll both be glad when Maria returns from her extended stay in Florida. She’s a great help with the boys, and it will give Justin time to get back to painting.

~~~

Michael’s mood swings are almost as dramatic as Justin’s. One minute he’s mad at Emmett for not supporting him when he was wallowing over his fallout with Brian. Next he’s inviting him to join him at Babylon as he chatters on and on about his new boyfriend, Keith and how he’s so in love with him, even though they’ve only been together once. Emmett tries to be understanding, not knowing if he might set him off again by saying the wrong thing. They have drinks, and several dances as Michael keeps an eye out for Keith who’s supposed to meet him there.

Little did they know that Keith was there watching them together. He can’t help himself from becoming jealous, sure that Emmett is trying to seduce Michael. He waits in the shadows as they dance, and laugh, evaluating all the cute guys there tonight. Finally Emmett has to leave as he has an early morning appointment to plan a quickie wedding to take place next week.

Emmett doesn’t know what hit him when he feels himself being punched in the gut, and then thrown up against the building, as someone threatens to beat him to death if he ever goes near Michael again. Keith has a hold of Emmett by his collar as his cold dark eyes stare at him, making sure he’s understood.

Then he releases Emmett, letting him fall down onto his knees, shaking and in shock, wondering what Michael has gotten himself into. Keith leaves Emmett cowering in a fetal position next to the brick wall, afraid to look up, afraid that he’ll get punched again. A couple minutes later he feels strong arms around him, pulling him into their chest, asking if he’s alright.

Emmett looks up into the eyes of the most beautiful man he’s ever seen, as the man asks him again if he’s alright. If he needs to see a doctor, and if he can give him a ride home telling him that his name is Joshua. They stand and Josh helps him over to his car, Emmett can’t help worrying about Michael and he insists that he needs to call Michael and warn him about Keith.

Michael doesn’t believe a word of it, and actually accuses Em of making up stories, trying to ruin his relationship with his new boyfriend. Emmett tries desperately to convince Michael that he’s in danger, but Michael just hangs up on him. Keith pulls Michael out onto the dance floor like nothing even happened. He tells him how much he means to him, and he’ll never let anyone come between them. Michael can’t help grinning like a fool. It’s been so long since he’s felt this happy and he’s not going to let Emmett’s jealousy cloud his future.

TBC…