- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Lindsay seems desperate, almost on the verge of being delusional…

Title: Christmas Presents…
Story Type: AU
Word Count: 6022
Rating: R, Porn…
Warnings: Passion, Lust, M-Preg…
Beta Queen: BigJ52
Banner: aaa_mazing

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, plot, etc. are property of their respective owners, including, but not limited to Russell T. Davies, Cowlip, and Showtime. The author of this story is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended…

Summary: Lindsay seems desperate, almost on the verge of being delusional…

Chapter Twenty-One ~ Think Before You Speak...

“Lindsay, what are you doing here? I told Cynthia that I didn’t have time to see you. I’m in meetings all day.”

“You’re always in meetings.”

“Busy! Busy!”

“I have to talk to you, Brian. It’s important.”

“Alright, five minutes.”

“Well… Ah…”

“Lindsay, spit it out! Time is money!”

“I just wanted you to know… To know you don’t have to do this.”

“I’m afraid I do. Leo’s flown in from Chicago for this meeting.”

“That’s not what I meant!”

“Oh???”

“I saw Deb, and she mentioned that Emmett was meeting with Justin to start planning the wedding.”

Brian raises his eyebrows, looking at her questioningly.

“Brian. I know Justin is pushing you to marry him. But you really should consider the consequences.”

“Consequences?”

“You know what I mean… Mel mentioned that you’re changing your living will and life insurance. That you’ve already added Justin to all your bank accounts.”

“And this concerns you? How?”

“Brian. I’m one of your oldest friends. You need someone to look out for your best interests. Like I said, it’s no secret that Justin’s manipulated you into marrying him and having you change your life insurance, will and bank accounts.”

“Lindsay! I’m the one who asked Justin to marry me.”

“But only because he’s pregnant with your child.”

“Is that what you think? Well you’re wrong. I’ve asked Justin to marry me multiple times since he’s returned from California. The first time on Christmas Eve, then on Valentine’s Day, and again just a couple of days ago.”

“But have you really considered the implications? I know you. You’ll become restless and start to trick. Then you’ll feel like you have a noose around your neck. You’ll resent Justin for trapping you into this and eventually you’ll leave him.”

“I don’t think so… I’m very committed to our relationship. Thank you very much!”

“But have you considered that fact that he’ll eventually leave you to go to New York? It’s where he belongs. You’ll only be holding him back. You’ll be sorry when he takes half of everything you’ve worked so hard for.”

“Is that what you think?”

“Yes. Yes I do…”

“Wow, Lindsay! Tell me how you really feel?”

“I’m just stating the obvious. You need to consider the ramifications before you jump into the fire.”

“Why do I get the feeling that you’re more concerned about the fact that I’ve changed my insurance policy and living will? Is it because you’re worried that I won’t take care of Gus? Or maybe, because you wouldn’t be the one inheriting my wealth should anything happen to me?”

“How can you say that? How can you even think that? I love you so much!”

“Yeah! Maybe a little too much!”

“Brian…”

“Lindsay, if you’re this uncomfortable with me marrying Justin, then maybe it’s best if you don’t attend the wedding.”

“What? How can you even consider that?”

“Good. Then it’s understood. You’ll never question my decisions again. Whether it be about my choice of who to marry, who I leave my estate to, or how I choose to live my life.”

“Brian. I’m just trying to protect you. Saving you from making the biggest mistake of your life.”

Brian walks over and opens the door, gesturing for Lindsay to leave.

“Lindsay. I have story boards to review and I want to go over my presentation once more before my meeting. I’d say it’s been nice to see you, but we both know that’s not true. Now don’t ever talk to me like this again, or you’ll be the one suffering the ramifications… Is that clear?”

“Brian. Please don’t be this way, and think about what I’ve said… You know it’s the truth.”

“Lindsay! Don’t show up again without an appointment. I don’t have time for your bullshit!”

With that Brian slams his office door shut, and pinches the bridge of his nose. He can’t help wondering when Lindsay changed. He always thought of her as the one who supported his and Justin’s relationship. Now he questions her motives, and thinks she’s the one trying to manipulate him, not Justin.

~~~

Justin chows down on the muffins that Em baked this morning and brought over for them to enjoy. They’re brainstorming ideas for their wedding. He wants it to be classy, elegant and tasteful, just like Brian. Of course he wants a big wedding, he wants everybody to know the Brian is off the market. He can’t help feeling so proud and happy. He’s wanted this since the first night he met Brian. He’s daydreamed of this day for so long you’d think he’d have it all planned out in his head. But now that he’s actually planning the big event, he’s at a loss as to what he wants.

The only thing that Brian insisted on was that it be legal. He wants a real wedding, not just some pathetic commitment ceremony. And now that Pennsylvania has joined the other eighteen states to legalize same-sex marriage, the timing couldn’t be more perfect. So he’s given Justin free rein over all the details in planning their wedding, as well as free rein over his checkbook to pay for it, and Justin plans on sparing no expense. Meanwhile, Brian insists on planning their honeymoon, sparing no expense himself.

“Well… Where to start? Have you thought about colors? You know you need a color scheme for the wedding?”

“Hum… Blue really makes my eyes pop, but then I know Brian loves red.”

“They both sound like great color choices, either one would work well.

“Red looks so gorgeous on him, so masculine. You know he hates anything frilly, so definitely red.”

“You know, Em… I’m already into my second trimester. I really don’t want to wait until I’m showing to be married. So how hard is it going to be to find a venue on such short notice?”

“Well… Hmmm… This could be a problem, but then again money talks. Let me make some calls and see what I can do.”

“Sorry, Em… I know this is last minute, and everything…”

“Here, you look at wedding cakes. You can pick any flavor of cake you want and decorate it in whatever style you like.”

“Okay, but you know Mr. Persnickety. He won’t want anything with flowers or bows…”

“Justin… You know they all have flowers and bows. Right?”

“Of course they do.”

Justin flips through pages and pages of wedding cake pictures while Emmett tries his best to get through to all the local hotels, banquet halls, conference centers and country clubs, hoping that they might have something available before a year from tomorrow. He’s not feeling very hopeful, as he listens to all the event managers’ hem and haw, sigh, chuckle. One even out and out laughs when he tells them he’s looking for something in the next six weeks.

He hangs up after trying his last possibility and says, “Well let’s talk about flowers. Don’t tell me Mr. Fussy has anything against flower centerpieces?”

“No, I think he’ll be fine with that. Just so long as they’re plain and not gaudy.”

“Of course. I expect no less.”

“I’m thinking roses. What do you think?”

“They are the flower of love, and of course they’re beautiful in red.”

“I’m thinking a single red rose on each table.”

“I like it. It will fit right in with your red and black theme.”

“Simple, But elegant.”

“I like this one.”

“Looks perfect.”

“I think Brian will like it too.”

“Have you found any cakes you like?”

“Yeah. I downloaded the pics of the ones I like.”

“Justin, honey… You have over twenty cakes picked out.”

“Yeah, I know. I’ll try and narrow it down… I just can’t decide.”

“For someone who doesn’t want frills, flowers or bows, you do realize that most of them are covered in bows and roses?”

“I may have been wrong about the flowers and bows thing. You’re right, they seem to all follow that theme.”

“Oh. Oh I really like this cake design. Even if it does have a bow on the top…”

“And this one…”

“And this one…”

“Oh, I agree. That first one is so unique. You know you could put a couple of grooms on top instead, if you wanted.”

“No, I think not. Remember we’re trying not to be too over the top.”

“Right, right… Because Mr. Finicky might just realize that he’s actually making a commitment.”

Justin punches Em in the arm, and they both start laughing. Even Jamie squeals in the background, not wanting to be left out of all the excitement…

“Oh, and I really want to have fancy chocolates at the guests’ place settings.”

“I like that idea, and it looks so delicious.”

“I know. I’m starting to a get a craving for chocolate now.”

~~~

Deb’s becoming concerned, as she’s left several messages for Michael and even stopped by the bakery to see him. His boss told her he hasn’t been in for a couple of days; he’s been out sick. So later that day she packs up a picnic basket full of all of Michael’s favorite foods and heads over to his and Keith’s apartment. After knocking for several minutes, she wonders if she should continue knocking or just leave.

Keith’s in a sour mood and the last thing he wants is company. Especially company he didn’t invite over. He barks at Michael that it better not be any of his so-called-friends. Michael prays that it’s not, knowing how irritated Keith would be if he didn’t ask permission first. Finally Deb hears someone unlocking the door and Keith is surprised to see her standing there. He quickly adjusts his mood and welcomes her in. He takes the basket full of goodies, politely thanking her for thinking of them.

Deb comes in and hugs Michael. Then she complains that he hasn’t been in touch with her for days. She notices Michael’s bandaged hand and asks him what happened. Michael quickly answers her, telling her that he burnt his hand at work on one of the ovens. That’s why he’s missed so many days recently, and therefore hasn’t been by the diner.

Keith pours on the charm, asking if Deb will join them for lunch, as he compliments her on the home-made fried chicken and potato salad. She tells him there’s also some baked lasagna, chicken parmigiana and German chocolate cake for later. He’s all smiles, telling her she can cook from them anytime, while at the same time mentioning that Michael can barely boil water. Debbie, of course, makes excuses saying that she’s always spoiled him, cooking for him several times a week so he never really learned.

Deb can’t help hovering over Michael, insisting that she put a new bandage on his wound, and asking if he needs her to do their laundry. Keith thanks her, but makes it clear that Michael’s more than capable of doing the housework and laundry all by himself. Debbie senses that they need their space, and she’s overstayed her welcome.

Michael walks her to the door and as Debbie kisses him good bye, she tells him what a great catch Keith is. How lucky he is to have found him, and not to fuck it up this time. He’s no spring chicken anymore, and he needs to make this work. Michael bites his tongue, wishing he could confide in her but he knows now’s not the time. And from her attitude, she wouldn’t be able to see that everything’s not all roses in their household.

~~~

Both Emmett and Justin look up, surprised to see Brian coming through the door. He comes over and pulls Justin into his arms, giving him a deep, passionate kiss. Emmett looks on in envy and astonishment. It still surprises him how much Brian has changed since Justin came into his life. He hopes that maybe someday he’ll feel the same kind of passion with Josh that’s so apparent in their relationship.

“What are you girls giggling about?”

“Nothing.”

“I didn’t realize it was so late. I guess time got away from us.”

“Emmett. It’s so good to see you.”

Emmett nods… “Brian.”

“Emmett came over this afternoon to help me start planning the wedding.”

“So have you two found a way to bankrupt me yet?”

“Not yet. But give us time.”

“So when is the wedding? Have you decided on a day?”

“We can’t pick a date until we can find a venue to have it at, and that’s turning out to be more of a problem than we thought it would be.”

“Oh? You know I signed a new account earlier this week. Mr. Jensen just happened to mention that they’ve remodeled several of their reception and ballrooms. Maybe we might be able to reserve one or two of those.”

“Really? Who’s your new account?”

“It’s the William Penn Hotel.”

Emmett gushes, “Oh my! That place is like a fucking palace. Have you seen it?”

“As a matter of fact I was given a tour on Tuesday. Would you like to see a couple of pics?”

“Oh God, Brian! It’s beautiful! Do you really think you could arrange for us to rent one of the banquet rooms?”

“I think it can be arranged. Mr. Jenson said their construction actually finished ahead of schedule. But you know it would mean we’d have to get married in the next two weeks.”

Justin and Emmett both start squealing, jumping up and down they’re so excited.

“Brian! Brian, please call them and see when we can get a room. I want to get married as soon as possible!”

“Alright, Sunshine. Don’t pee your pants…”

“Brian, call me if you get a reservation and a date for your wedding. Why don’t you two look through all of the different styles of cakes and decorations tonight and see if you can decide on one you both like? Remember that you can have any flavor cake you want.”

“Thanks, Em. I have a really good feeling about this. Everything seems to be coming together for our wedding.”

“Okay, I’m off. Justin I’ll see you tomorrow so we can continue planning and ordering what we’ll need. A couple of weeks isn’t much time to organize everything.”

“I’m sure you two will make it all work. After all you have full access to my bank account.”

Brian nuzzles Justin closer, kissing the top of his head, loving how wonderful it smells. Justin uses coconut and vanilla-scented shampoo that’s all natural so it makes his hair extra soft and shiny.

“So I guess it’s pizza tonight?”

“Yeah, I kind lost track of time and forgot to take anything out for dinner.”

“I’ll order the pizza, and then I’ll call the hotel and see what they can schedule for us.”

An hour later both of them are stuffed from eating too much pizza, and they have a date for their wedding, Saturday, May 29th at seven thirty. Justin’s all smiles as he tells Brian about what Emmett and he planned this afternoon.

“So… I was thinking that we’d both wear black suits or tuxes, and you’d wear a red shirt and black tie, and I’d wear a pink shirt and black tie.”

“Alright.”

“You’re okay with me wearing a light pink shirt?”

“It’s your wedding, Sunshine. You can wear anything you want. Besides I know how much you love pink.”

“That way we’d match, but be different at the same time. I want to use red and black as the predominant colors for the wedding.

They go over all the plans him and Em outlined earlier that afternoon. Brian likes the idea of a single red rose on the guest tables, and a larger arrangement of roses and candles behind the altar and on their banquet table. Even though they’re not getting married in a church, they plan on having the actual wedding in one of the grand ballrooms and the reception in another.

The ballrooms have beautiful marble walls and floors and the one they plan to use for the reception has a water feature, complete with waterfall. Justin can’t help drooling over the pictures Brian snapped of the interiors. It’s even more beautiful than he ever imagined. Brian suggests that they serve champagne and hors d’oeuvres, prior to the ceremony in yet another one of the elegant reception rooms while the guests wait.

Brian, of course, wants a full dinner service complete with waiters in formal tuxes; no self-serve banquet tables for his guests. Even though he said Justin could plan everything, and, as much as he thought he wouldn’t have an opinion about the details, that’s obviously not the truth. If he’s going to actually get married (which he never thought he would) he wants everything to be exquisite, sparing no expense.

Justin writes pages full of notes of Brian’s suggestions for him and Emmett to incorporate into the wedding plans tomorrow. After spending hours hashing over every intricate detail Justin’s exhausted and ready for bed. Brian checks on Jamie, making sure he’s sound asleep for the night, or at least until he wakes for his bottle.

Justin gazes over at him with hooded eyes; he can’t help getting hard just looking at his gorgeous partner, now fiancé, soon-to-be husband. Brian sees the glint of passion in his eyes and crawls up his body. He gently grazes his erection across his thighs, and then against Justin’s own weeping cock. Justin’s legs naturally circle his waist as the two of them lock lips and get lost in their passion.

Several minutes later Brian pulls back, needing air. But his eyes never leave Justin’s as he reads the yearning written within them. Brian runs kisses around his jaw, and then across to his left ear where he gently licks him, knowing that it drives him crazy with desire. Justin leans his head back, exposing his porcelain neck as Brian continues to nibble and suck at his flesh, sure he’ll leave a mark.

Brian has a way of practically making Justin purr, as little moans and sighs escape his lips, letting him know that Justin is more than turned on. Justin’s cock is now poking Brian in his stomach, oozing pre-cum, creating a slippery pool filling his own belly-button. It’s turning Justin on even more as he feels the friction build as the head of his penis is rocked gently between the two of them, and soon they’re rutting against one other.

His pregnancy has a way of making him even more horny than usual, as he’s flooded with endorphins. Brian can’t help noticing Justin’s breath hitch, knowing that he’ll soon to be consumed with pleasure. Oh yes, he remembers how incredibly horny he was during his own pregnancy, and there’s nothing he wants more than to fulfil all of Justin’s desires.

He slips his hand between the two of them while gently rocking his hips, feeling Justin’s dick gliding back and forth. He takes his finger and circles Justin’s crown several times and then runs his thumb across this slit, triggering Justin’s orgasm. Justin cries out in pleasure as he coats their bellies with warm spunk.

His eyes are wide open now, looking like the deep blue waters of the ocean. Brian doesn’t think he’s ever seen him look more beautiful. Sometimes his love for Justin fills his heart so full it’s a wonder it doesn’t burst out of his chest. Brian dips his head down and captures his lips, letting more passion flow between them. He can still feel Justin’s body quivering as he rides out the remaining waves of ecstasy.

Finally able to finally catch his breath he whispers, “Brian…”

Brian leans his forehead against Justin’s, feeling his breath on his neck. Justin raises his head until their noses are touching. Brian tilts his head to the side and brings their lips together. Their kisses start off soft and gentle, but grow until they’re filled with passion. It doesn’t take long for Justin to recover and soon Brian feels him growing firmer against his stomach, and his breathing increases, making his desire known.

Their lips part, but their eyes remain gazing into each other’s. Brian reaches down and lifts Justin’s legs up one at a time onto his shoulders. He finds the tube of lube Justin set on the pillow next to them and squirts a dollop onto his fingertips. After warming it up a little he coats Justin’s rosebud, and then his shaft. He nudges the tip of his cock against his opening, and then glides into Justin’s welcoming tunnel. Brian’s amazed that he still gets a rush of excitement feeling him, caressing him as he enters.

They’re both in heaven as Brian slowly starts driving deeper with each thrust. Justin’s back to moaning, as Brian’s plump head makes contact with his prostate. It isn’t long before he’s sending sparks of pleasure pulsating through his limbs. Brian increases his thrusts, loving the way Justin’s wet walls clench and release him.

Brian reaches down and pulls Justin closer to his body, sliding deeper into him, as he starts hammering his prostate. Waves of ecstasy wash over both of them as they’re both pulled closer to fruition. Just a few more deep plunges and Justin falls over the edge. Brian follows close behind as he shoots inside him. Just like the first time, those three little words escape Brian’s lips.

“I love you…”

Justin’s smile spreads across his face as he hears them, but words aren’t necessary; he knows exactly how Brian feels. How much he loves him, and he can’t help feeling like the luckiest man alive. They lie there in their bed holding each other, never wanting this feeling of love and passion to fade. The moonlight dances through the window, illuminating the space, making everything look magical. Brian holds his hands on the sides of Justin’s head, caressing his face with his fingertips as they relax and drift off to sleep.

~~~

Brian’s putting the finishing touches on the revamped story boards for Brown Athletics. After his presentation yesterday Brian made a few changes to the layout and adjusted the colors. He now knows that he finally has them just right, giving Leo the feel he is looking for.

Later that morning Brian walks Leo out to the reception area, both pleased with the new designs. Leo congratulates Brian on his great work and presentation; he’s excited to start implementing the new advertisements and commercials they discussed. Cynthia rushes to tell Brian that he has a visitor, but she’s too late as Brian walks into his office to see that Lindsay is back, sitting on the sofa waiting for him.

“Lindsay. What a surprise! What could you possibly have to say to me now? I’m pretty sure we covered everything yesterday.”

“Please, Brian. I really need to talk to you…”

“Lindsay, don’t you have a job you should be at? Doesn’t Sidney need you there to run the gallery?”

“Brian… That’s what I wanted to talk to you about…”

“Oh… What’s that?”

“I was hoping that maybe I could start working in the art department?”

“The art department where?”

“Brian… Here. Here at Kinnetik.”

“I don’t really have any openings right now. Besides I’m not sure that would be a good idea.”

“Brian! It’s perfect. I’m an artist. Besides, you let Justin work here.”

“No. He interned at Vanguard, and he got that position all on his own. It was a requirement for school. Besides, he’s an exceptional artist.”

“What is that supposed to mean?”

“Lindsay, it takes a certain type of person to be able to produce artwork for advertisements. Besides you’re not even a graphic artist”

“I’m sure I can draw advertisements!”

“No. I don’t think you can. It’s not some art project that you can simply take all the time you need to complete.”

“Brian. I’m sure I can. Won’t you just give me a chance?”

“Lindsay, you have to understand there’s strict deadlines. You have to be able to create the ideas that are given to you, not what you want to draw. Anyway, I don’t think you’d be able to take the criticism when I critique your work. There’s often lots of changes and corrections involved until the storyboards are tweaked and meet with my approval.”

“Brian, please?”

“I’m sorry, Lindsay but you haven’t really drawn anything in years… And well… You know, you weren’t very good even then. After all, you graduated with a degree in Art History, not with a Bachelor of Arts degree.”

Lindsay is shocked. She can’t believe that Brian is being so direct with her, so blatant. Pointing out that she really didn’t graduate as an artist.

“Brian! I can’t believe you just said that! I’m totally offended. Is that what you think of me?”

“Oh please, Lindsay. It’s the truth, and this is exactly what I’m talking about. You can’t take the criticism and scrutiny of your own work. And that’s what I would do. It’s what I do with all my employees. I only accept excellence, and you know I’m a perfectionist when it comes to my business. I have to be. I’m the best at what I do, and I don’t have time to coddle my employees.”

Now crying she spits out, “And apparently you don’t care about your friends’ feelings either!”

“I won’t apologize when it comes to my business. I’m sorry the truth hurts.”

“I always thought that you loved me, that you respected me. I can’t believe you won’t give me a chance. At least let me try and prove myself.”

“Linds, I don’t think it’s a good idea for me to have my friends as employees.”

“What about Ted?”

“Ted’s an exceptional accountant. Besides he’s capable of separating our friendship from our business relationship. He doesn’t take personal offense when I criticize him, the way I know you would.”

“Why do you have to intentionally try and hurt my feelings?”

“This isn’t about you… Can’t you understand that?

She just stares at him, at a loss for words.

“What’s this all about anyways? Did you get fired from the gallery?”

Lindsay starts crying again, barely able to talk…

“Yes. Sidney had to let me go. Sales have been down and he can’t afford to keep me on anymore.”

“I’m sorry, Linds, but maybe this is a good thing. I mean the pay is for shit, and you obviously need to make more money. I can’t keep coming to your rescue every time the furnace needs replacing, or the oven breaks.”

“Oh, I guess you want your son to live in a house without heat, or go without a home-cooked meal.”

“Lindsay, you’re a grown woman, and you have a wife. You two need to start budgeting your money better. Besides you’ll feel better if you make your own way in life.”

She pours on the tears again, begging Brian to help her. She’s surprised when her manipulations don’t even make a dent in his stance.

“I’ll do anything, anything at all.”

“What does Mel say about all this?”

“I haven’t told her, and I don’t want you saying anything to her.”

“Right. Because I talk to Mel all the time…”

“If I didn’t know better I’d think you were being intentionally cruel, trying to hurt my feelings. But I know being a total asshole is just your personality. I don’t know how Justin puts up with you. I guess love really is blind.”

“Are you through? Did you get it all out of your system yet? Because I have to get changed. I’ve got a soccer practice to coach and I don’t want to be late. It’s important for these boys that they learn the game and build their self-esteem.”

“You? You’re volunteering to coach soccer for kids you don’t even know? How altruistic of you! Mel will never believe this.”

Brian takes a deep breath, trying hard not to snap at her. It’s none of her business that he’s taking the time to get to know John and Peter better. He likes the idea of coaching; it’s been a while since he’s taken the time to be athletic. And as Justin pointed out, it will be good for him, helping him release some of his stress and have fun at the same time.

“I think we’re done here…”

“Wait, Brian. What I’m I going to do? I can’t continue to leave the house each day pretending to be going to work.”

“Jeez, Linds. Maybe you should start applying for jobs?”

“But I don’t have any skills…”

“Well, thank God I wasn’t the one to have to point that out…”

“So you’re not going to help me?”

“For once in your life, help yourself. I’m sure you’ll come up with something, and for Christ’s sake, tell your wife the truth.”

Brian turns and walks into his private bathroom, quickly changing his clothes to meet with John and Peter at the local park.

~~~

Ted and Emmett are on their second drink, a Cosmo for Em and seltzer water for Ted. They’re waiting for Josh and David at Woody’s to have cocktails and then they’re trying out the new Mexican restaurant that just opened up. Ted mentioned that it got rave reviews from the restaurant critic in latest issue of ‘Out’. David loves Mexican food, and Ted thinks it might be a good prospect as a new client for Kinnetik.

After David shows up they have another round of drinks. Emmett can’t help wondering what’s keeping Josh. But dating a cop has its drawbacks; you never know when a case might keep them working late. Emmett’s feeling no pain as they finish off their drinks and review the menu at the restaurant. Finally Josh calls and tells them he’ll meet them there as he has to process the arrest he just made.

A half an hour later he joins them, apologizing for making them wait. He looks at them and says that they arrested Keith. Even though they had planned on keeping him under surveillance for the time being, some rookie cop saw him run a red light and pulled him over. Josh was tailing him at the time, when the rookie took it upon himself to search the car because it smelled like marijuana.

Not only did they find two kilos of grass in the trunk, they also found a dead teenage hustler. Josh was so grateful he was right behind them when the rookie pulled him over. That gave him a chance to come up on the other side of the car, holding his gun on Keith. Otherwise they would have had two dead bodies on their hands, and the rookie would never have seen it coming.

Sometimes multi-tasking isn’t a good idea. Keith thought that making a drug deal down at the docks would give him the perfect opportunity to dump the kid in the river. This isn’t how Carl wanted things to go down, but at least they have Keith stone-cold with the dead kid, and the grass is just icing on the cake. The only problem is that Josh has now been made, and won’t be able to continue to work undercover on taking Big Jack down.

Keith is furious at being caught. He punches the concrete walls of his holding cell, breaking several fingers and his wrist. Josh, along with a couple of uniformed policemen, take him to the hospital to be treated, and then to night court. He pleads not guilty and is sentenced to remain in jail until his court date, or he makes bail.

Carl tries calling Michael to tell him the bad news but he’s not answering his cell. Keith has taken it away from Michael in a fit of rage, and left him in the apartment with the deadbolt locked, unable to leave if he tried, He’ll be locked inside for the next couple of days until Big Jack posts Keith’s bail, and he finally goes home. Debbie’s worried about Michael, but she hesitates to go over there. She’s left several messages and thinks Michael will contact her when he’s ready to talk about it. Little does she realize that he’s imprisoned in his own home.

The boys all drink a toast to Josh’s arrest. They hope they can talk some sense into Michael, making him see just what an asshole and criminal Keith is. But sometimes Michael is just too bull-headed to hear or see the truth. Maybe a few days stuck without much food and no phone will open his eyes to Keith’s manipulations and sadistic behavior.

~~~

Brian’s beginning to feel like Lindsay is stalking him when he pulls into the underground parking garage for the loft and he sees her sitting in her car, waiting for him.

“Lindsay! What the fuck are you doing here?”

“Brian. I wanted to catch you before you went upstairs.”

“Oh? What do you possibly have to say to me now, that you can’t say in front of Justin?”

“Well… I was thinking…”

“For Christ’s sake, spit it out, Lindsay. I’m not a mind reader.”

“You know, Brian? I was thinking I should watch Jamie, and help out around the house.”

“We already have help, Lindsay.”

“I know. But you could let Maria go, and I’ll do everything.”

“No.”

“No? You’re not even going to consider it?”

“No.”

“Brian!”

“I don’t think it’s a good idea, and I’m sure Justin wouldn’t be comfortable with it.”

“Justin! Why must everything have to involve Justin!”

Brian just stares at her…

“Why??? Because he’s my husband, or will be soon enough.”

“Brian, I’m sure I’d be able to handle taking care of Jamie better than Justin. After all, I have experience with children. He knows nothing about babies, and I’m sure he gets overwhelmed and resents not having any free time.”

“Justin is great with Jamie, he loves being a stay-at-home dad, and with Maria there he can paint whenever he gets the urge. Besides, quite frankly I don’t think he’d appreciate spending all day with you.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

“After our conversation yesterday I would never consider having you as our housekeeper/nanny. Maria does a great job and there’s no friction between them. I can’t imagine that the two of you could spend even an afternoon together without killing each other. And then there’s the whole not-employing-your-friends issue again and we’ve already addressed that.”

“Brian… That’s not true. I’d be great at helping around the house and Gus would love seeing Jamie every day. And even though you can’t see it, I’m sure Justin is resentful; he’s young and I’m sure he hates being a housewife.”

“Lindsay, Justin is not a housewife! And I’ve already told you he loves taking care of Jamie. He’s free to do whatever he wants. He’s not trapped, and he’s definitely not resentful. Besides, that’s why we have Maria, so he has all the freedom he needs.”

“But Brian… I’d be a better choice, and after all I’m his mother.”

“You’re what?”

“I meant, I’m a mother. And Maria is practically a stranger.”

“Maria has worked for me for years, she’s hardly a stranger. She works hard. She cooks, cleans, grocery shops, runs errands and helps Justin with Jamie. As well as thinking this is a bad idea, I don’t think you’d do a good job. After all I’ve seen your house and it’s a disaster on your best days. I like everything neat and tidy; you know how anal I am when it comes to my personal space.”

“Brian… You’re just mad about yesterday, but I was only trying to make you see reality. I understand you’re upset with me, but I think you’re making a huge mistake getting married. You need me!”

“Go home to your wife and kids, Lindsay. Shouldn’t you be cooking and cleaning for them now that you’re unemployed?”

“Brian, please think about it.”

He just stands there, glaring at her until she starts her car and drives away. He can’t help thinking she seems desperate, almost on the verge of being delusional.

TBC…