- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Michael starts his long recovery. But he seems to be changing right before their eyes, and not in a positive life-affirming way…

Title: Christmas Presents…
Story Type: AU
Word Count: 4669
Rating: R, Porn…
Warnings: Passion, Lust, M-Preg…
Beta Queen: BigJ52
Banner: aaa_mazing

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, plot, etc. are property of their respective owners, including, but not limited to Russell T. Davies, Cowlip, and Showtime. The author of this story is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended…

Summary: Michael starts his long recovery. But he seems to be changing right before their eyes, and not in a positive life-affirming way…

Chapter Twenty Four ~ What’s with Michael?

“Justin! Justin!”

“Daddy! We got cake!”

“I see that…”

“Brian, you’re home for lunch.”

“Justin, there’s two hundred cakes in the kitchen.”

“I know… It’s great! But really it’s only twenty-two.”

“Twenty-two cakes?”

“They’re very small… Besides…”

“The baby’s going to be born a diabetic.”

“Brian.”

“That’s a lot of cravings! You must have made several runs to the bakery.”

“Don’t be silly, I had them delivered.”

“Of course you did. But did you have to have a slice or two out of each cake?”

“We’re doing a taste test.”

“Of course you are.”

“Daddy, they’re really yummy. But Justy says you can only taste five.”

“I said we’d narrow it down to the top five, then you can help us decide.”

“Decide? Decide what? When to call the ambulance when you go into a sugar coma?”

“Hi Brian.”

Brian nods his head. “Em.”

“I see you’re here for the taste test.”

“What the fuck is a taste test?”

“You know, dear… For the wedding. Or did you forget you’re marrying me?”

“Oh… Oh yeah…”

“Daddy, we’re getting married! Do you want to come?”

“I’ll have to check my calendar.”

“So, I’m guessing you want more than cake for lunch?”

“I’ll order pizza. That’s what you want. Right?”

“Yes, daddy! Pizza! Pizza! Pizza!”

“I can see he’s had more than enough cake.”

“I’m sure as soon as he eats his pizza, he’ll crash and be sound asleep in no time.”

“So Em, I’m guessing you need another check?”

“That would be great, Brian. We’ve got just about everything finalized and I trust that you’ve got the whole honeymoon thing planned.”

“I’m working on it.”

“Just let me know if you need any help with that. I’m more than willing to do anything you need.”

“That’s good to know. I’ll call you later and we’ll talk. I could use a little help with a special surprise.”

Emmett claps. “I love surprises.”

Justin grins. “Me too!”

“Sorry, little boy, you’ll have to wait and see.”

“Fine!”

“Now, now dear. Don’t you want the perfect wedding?”

Justin smiles his bright sunshine smile. Just thinking about their wedding makes him so excited.

“Yes, I want it perfect! So do you want to start tasting the different flavors now or after lunch?”

~~~

Lindsay’s new lawyer got her out on a bond that her parents posted. She is now staying with them, as the Board of Children’s Welfare investigated her and the death of Jenny Rebecca. She is also requesting her rights to Gus be reinstated, granting her and her parents full custody. Now that she’s living with them she’ll be able to provide a stable home in a good neighborhood, was well as being with him during the days.

From her perspective she is the perfect parent, and everything that happened with Jenny Rebecca was a big misunderstanding and a tragic accident. It was Justin and Maria’s fault that she was delayed at the loft and therefore the children were put in jeopardy. She’s actually insisting that her attorney have Maria, Brian and Justin investigated, claiming they’re unfit parents.

Her parents hope that now that her relationship with Melanie is over she’ll see the error of her ways, and abandon her desire for companionship with other women. She’s even agreed to be set up on a date with Ken, her father’s junior business partner. Nancy and Ron are so happy that they have their little girl back, they’ve decided to build her a small house in the back of their property. They have no idea about Lindsay’s delusional behavior concerning custody of Jamie.

~~~

Michael’s starting to feel better; he’s awake more and often spends time talking with Maryann. He feels comfortable with her as she listen to all his problems without passing judgment. She’s taken an interest in him, and makes him feel special in a way that he’s never felt before. Deb’s noticed that he seems to be undergoing some changes. It’s subtle at first. Little things, like he becomes irritated easily and seems more critical of her and his friends.

His doctors mention that it’s not unusual for patients with closed-head injuries to experience slight personality changes. Of course it could also be a side effect of him suddenly stopping his use of crystal meth, although no one but Keith knew he was using. The oddest change is that he’s started reading the Bible when he’s alone in his hospital room. Deb imagines that with everything that’s happened Michael might need to turn to God for guidance. After all he’s lucky to be alive.

~~~

Mel feels lost. It’s strange being in an empty house and the couple of times she’s tried to go and pack up Jenny Rebecca’s things, she ends up sitting in the rocking chair, crying her eyes out. She knows she needs to get her things out of the house. Once everything’s gone maybe she’ll be able to start accepting what’s happened. Her life is in chaos as losing a child is the worst kind of tragedy to have to suffer. But she’s also lost her wife, and she feels so alone. Then there’s the stress of her job which is becoming more demanding. They of course gave her the week off to grieve, but they expect her back next week all bright-eyed and bushytailed.

So she sits packing JR’s things for the children at the women’s shelter, folding her tiny little dresses and packing away her black patent-leather shoes that JR loved to wear. Tears run down her face and she wonders if she’ll ever feel normal again, if she’ll ever have the opportunity to raise another child. After all she’s already thirty-five and her biological clock is ticking away, and with her career choice, being a single parent is out of the question. So she not only grieves for JR, but for any other children that she’s unlikely to ever have.

She’s brought out of her sorrow as she hears someone knocking on the front door. It’s her cousin Mona who can only imagine how sad and lonely Melanie is feeling. She’s brought her apple pie from the bakery and insists that Mel get out of the house for a while. She suggests that they go to the movies. It will help take her mind off everything that’s happened, for a few hours, anyway. Mel’s resistant at first, but after having some of the pie with vanilla ice cream she finally agrees to go to a matinée.

~~~

Brian chuckles when he realizes that just as Justin had predicted, Gus is fast asleep for his afternoon nap. He thinks it’s adorable that Justin and Jamie are also fast asleep on the sofa. He remembers how tired and exhausted he would get when he was pregnant, so he completely understands. After deciding on the different flavors for each layer of the wedding cake, they keep several of the small cakes for Justin and Gus’s sweet tooth. Then Brian helps Emmett box up all the left-over cake, some for his nephews and the rest for Emmett to deliver to the Vic Grassi House.

Brian gathers his clothes together for soccer practice with his nephews, and walks Emmett out to his car. They make arrangements to meet for breakfast the next day to go over Brian’s wedding and honeymoon plans. He’s grateful for the help as planning everything in only a few weeks is proving to be more time consuming that he expected. He wants Justin to be totally surprised and he just hopes that Emmett can keep his secret. But he is a wedding planner, so he should be able to handle all the arrangements.

~~~

Once Michael’s started to heal he’ll have to go into physical therapy. Between his broken ribs and broken pelvis he’ll probably have a hard time walking, and it’s possible that he might have to use a cane once he starts getting around. Lying in a hospital bed is giving him lots of time to think about the direction of his life, he’s even started confided in Maryann.

She’s young and a recent graduate from Nursing school, her father is a minister. She’s very strait-laced, but tries not to pass judgment on Michael’s past lifestyle. She thinks he deserves better, thinks he just needs someone more patient and understanding of him and his needs. Michael seems distant when Ted and Emmett visit and it’s almost as if he questions the value of his friendship with them.

But as the days continue he seems to be coming more and more religious. He questions Deb about why she seldom attends church and why he wasn’t raised more religiously. He knows she was raised Catholic, but he never went to catechism, or attended Catholic school. She’s starting to feel uncomfortable with his questioning her about these issues. She can’t imagine where all this is coming from. The truth is, that although she worked hard, money was always tight. She often worked extra shifts on the weekends and seldom attended mass.

Although she always brought Michael to church on the holidays and observed most of the Catholic traditions throughout the year, for the first time she starts to question how close he and Maryann are staring to become. She never thought that reading the Bible or bringing God into his life would start him changing, but it is and in ways she never expected. He’s started to question all the choices he’s made, and now refers to his homosexuality as a lifestyle choice. Debbie’s at a loss, but doesn’t say anything because he seems too touchy about everything and she doesn’t want to set him off.

~~~

Brian’s relationship with his mother and sister has improved; they’re trying to accept him for who he is. Claire’s thankful for the time he’s spending with John and Peter whether it’s helping them with their homework, or coaching their soccer team. They seem happier and are doing better in school. They’re at that age where they might start hanging out with the wrong crowd, experimenting with drugs and just getting into trouble in general. She never thought she’d feel this way but she’s grateful to have Brian as her brother.

Father Thom has spent time talking with her and Joan about Brian and Justin’s relationship. He’s helped them understand that Brian’s homosexuality is just as natural for him as their heterosexuality is for them. They can now see that Brian is happy, maybe for the first time in his life. That his childhood has left him with scars, and an unresolved feeling of being rejected and unloved.

Brian has changed. He loves his sons, and he’s become very well respected in the business community. He has lived a lifestyle in the past that might have glorified his sexuality, and he might have even flaunted it. But now that Justin is part of his life, and they’ve decided to raise a family, he now has a positive outlook and has let go of some of his condescending and judgmental attitude that he so often displayed.

Joan has even opened her eyes to see that her own judgmental ways and Jack’s harsh behavior and punishments have left Brian with feelings of inadequacy and resentment. Now that she’s opened her heart to him, Brian seems willing to try and do the same towards her and Claire. Justin has taught him that family is everything, and that you don’t get to choose who your parents are, or who you fall in love with. Since he’s started to accept this, he’s now making an effort to let go of the past and build a future as a family.

~~~

Emmett stops by the hospital to see Michael and he’s introduced to Maryann, who seems shy, quiet, and very reserved, especially compared to Emmett in his tangerine pants and peach colored dress shirt. Michael welcomes him to sit down, he almost seems happy to see him and then the questions start.

“Em, when you first started going to those ‘See the Light’ meetings, did they make you feel better?”

“Better? Better than what?”

“You know, like a better person. Did you feel closer to God?”

“You know, Michael, they acted like they were teaching God’s word. But the truth is they never really talked about God at all, they only talked about how to become straight. About how they were going to help cure you, like you had a disease or something.”

“I don’t think they think it’s a disease. I think they believe that you deserve a life, a better life. One where you feel whole and complete.”

“That’s just it. It took finally seeing you and Ted to realize that I already was complete.”

“No. No, I don’t think you are, and I don’t think I am either. I think there is a better life, one where we can find happiness. One where we can feel fulfillment living a better quality life.”

“I’ve come to believe that life is what we make it, that you need to find your own happiness in life.”

“That’s exactly what I’m talking about. Making a better life living for ourselves the way God intended us to.”

“Michael, you’ve never really been a religious person before. What’s happened?”

“That’s exactly what I mean. I’ve never really thought about God before. But now, after everything I’ve been through, I can’t help thinking there’s a better life for me.”

Michael’s words echo through Emmett’s head, some of them seem so similar to those same words he heard from the people at ‘See the Light.’ He believes they were trying to reprogram him, trying to make him think that homosexuality was a sin. He stares at Michael, just waiting for him so say something similar, and he’s scared to death. Deb wasn’t kidding this morning. Michael really is changing and he wonders how he can help stop all this nonsense from happening. The problem is that Michael has always been so gullible and naïve, believing everything that he’s told.

“Michael, what’s happened to make you think that you need a better life?”

Of course as soon as the words came out of his mouth, he knew Michael would justify all this religious talk by all the bad things he went through with Keith.

“Emmett, you have to admit that I was living in a bad situation. Even when I was with Ben, it was a really unhealthy situation.”

“Yes, of course Keith was bad news, a really bad person. But Ben, Ben was a great guy and you really loved him.”

“No. I just thought that I loved him, just like I thought that I loved Keith. But they both put my life in danger, maybe not in the same way. But I was living an unhealthy life just the same. I’m so lucky that I didn’t contract HIV from Ben. Do you have any idea what he exposed me to on a daily basis. How could I have been so blind?”

“Michael, I think you’re overreacting. Ben was a great guy, and you really loved him. I don’t understand how you can say these things about him.”

“No, I don’t think I did love him. I think I did what everyone made me feel like I should do.”

“No one made you date and fall in love with Ben.”

“No. No it started a long time before that. It was my mom, and Uncle Vic. I was just a child and their influence made me think that homosexuality was natural and normal.”

“What’s that’s supposed to mean?”

“You, of all people, should know exactly what I mean, Emmett. You know it in your heart that you’re living a lie, just like me.”

“No! No, I don’t, and I can’t believe that you really think that either.”

Emmett’s had enough, he just wants to get out of there. He knows he should stay and argue with Michael. Make him understand that he’s being brainwashed but he just feels panicked and needs to leave.

“Michael, can you hear yourself? Because I can’t believe you’re saying these things. I have to go, I’m meeting a client. But you need to really listen to yourself, maybe talk to your doctor. You sound unstable.”

“You’re wrong. For the first time in my life I’m seeing things the way they really are. But you go, run away. But you’ll be back. You know I’m right and God will welcome you back when you’re ready to accept the truth.”

Emmett rushes out of the room and stands at the elevator, pushing the down button over and over again, needing to get out of there. Maryann comes over and asks him to please stay away from Michael until he’s ready to accept the word of God, and live a life, free of his deviant homosexual behavior.

Soon Emmett’s pacing as he talks a mile a minute waving his arms in the air, practically hysterical as Justin pours him a few fingers of Jim Beam. Justin’s trying to take in everything Emmett’s been saying, but it all seems so unbelievable. Could Michael really have had a break from reality?

After listening to Emmett rant for the last hour until he really did have to meet with a client, Justin’s left feeling concerned and confused about Michael’s stability and this nurse Maryann. He calls Brian and asks him to stop by to see Michael on the way home. He knows Michael’s been upset that he hasn’t been visiting him enough while he’s been in the hospital. Brian’s dirty and sweaty from practice but agrees to go the next morning to see Michael.

Brian’s drops the boys off at home. He makes plans to pick them up after school the next day to buy them some new clothes as theirs are faded and tattered. Besides he wants to buy them each a new suit for the wedding, and a pair of dress pants and sports jacket for the rehearsal dinner next week. Jennifer’s even agreed to take Claire and Joan dress shopping so they have several new outfits to choose from for the upcoming events.

The next morning Deb’s refilling his and Emmett’s coffee cups as they finish breakfast. Emmett’s beaming; he can’t believe he’s been given the task for arranging the band for the wedding and it’s not just some band. It’s Justin’s favorite band, but it’s a surprise so Emmett’s lips are sealed until the big day. He’s also been put in charge of the travel arrangements for their honeymoon, and Em is so excited he wishes he could go with them.

Brian has secretly asked Maria’s sister Consuela to travel with them on their honeymoon. Maria will need help caring for both Gus and Jamie, because Brian knows there is no way Justin will agree to be away from the kids for three weeks. This will give them a much-needed vacation and still be able to spend time with the kids. It will also give Maria a vacation with her sister; she works hard for Brian and Justin and deserves a little down time herself.

Emmett rushes out to start on all the arrangements he needs to make, so Brian waves Debbie over and asks her to sit with him for a few minutes. She sips her coffee, as she holds back the tears in her eyes. This is so not normal for Debbie and he knows it. Her usual self is made of steel and can handle anything that comes her way. But today she’s a wreck, and the stress is making her show her age.

“What is it, Deb? You look so distraught.”

She shakes her head, as she tries not to raise her voice and show her emotions.

“I went to see Michael before my shift this morning. I baked him some sugar cookies, his favorite. That nurse of his, Maryann, said that she didn’t think it was a good idea for me to be visiting him so often. She thinks it is unhealthy for him, and hindering his recovery. I went by early, so I could explain to Michael that I could only visit him in the evenings. I agreed to pick up Kiki’s morning shifts this week, she’s having reconstructive surgery. You know, to…”

“Yes Deb, I get it. But why would she say that to you? I mean you’re his mother. You’ve been there every day.”

“I know, it makes no sense. Emmett said that she asked him not to come by at all anymore, that he wasn’t welcome. Can you believe that?”

“Yes, I just got an earful from Em during breakfast. I can’t imagine what’s gotten into Michael these days.”

“It’s that skinny-assed Maryann and her high and mighty attitude. Sure, she acted all nice and sweet in the beginning, but now she seems to be convincing Michael that homosexuality is a bad thing.”

“Yeah! Right! Like Michael’s going to actually give up cock! He’s almost a bigger nelly bottom than Em.”

They both crack a smile. Michael is a total bottom boy. Besides, they know Michael’s never been able to stick with anything for more than a day or two.

“Give him a couple of days, and a few good-looking male nurses and he’ll be back. I’ll guarantee it.”

“I hope so, Brian. I’m really worried about him.”

“Trust me. Michael’s a big old queer. Not even nurse Mother Theresa can change that.”

“Thanks, I do feel better now. But you’ll go see him. Right?”

“Yes, mother… But not until after work tonight.”

~~~

Gus is helping Maria to make peanut butter cookies. She’s showing him how to press the fork across the tops to flatten them out, leaving a waffle pattern on the tops. Justin’s folding laundry as he watches Jamie playing on his baby quilt on the floor. He looks away for a minute and when he turns back he sees Jamie cruising across the floor, crawling at a fast pace. It seems he tossed his teddy bear, Mr. Snuggly under the table and, Lord knows, he can’t live without his teddy bear.

He’s still a very happy baby, although he’s fussy when Justin tries to feed him any kind of baby food. He still prefers his bottle, although Justin wonders if it has more to do with being held close in his arms when he’s feeding him. Gus runs to get him his bear. But Justin tells to let him get it, but just make sure he doesn’t hit his head on the table legs. He thinks it’s good for Jamie to be learning to crawl on different surfaces, although now he washes and vacuums the floor several times a day. Can you say neurotic?

Jennifer stops by after dress shopping with Joan and Claire. They found several new formal dresses and well as some clothes for Joan to wear to church, and Claire to wear to her new receptionist job she starts next week. She eats lunch with them, bringing everyone sandwiches from the deli and Justin’s much-needed Reuben sandwich, pickled beets and sushi. Yes, his taste buds are craving some weird foods these days. Afterwards they enjoy the fresh-baked cookies before she takes Gus to the park to play before his afternoon nap.


Brian’s POV

After a long day I’m headed to the hospital to see Michael, hopefully he’ll be in a good mood. I enter his room as he sits looking out the window, lost in his thoughts.

“Michael, penny for your thoughts.”

“Brian, I’m glad you’re here. I’ve been thinking a lot about us - how we grew up and all the influences on our teen years.”

“Oh? Just what influences are those?”

“You know, me not growing up with a male influence and only Uncle Vic. You and your dominant mother and abusive father.”

“What about my parents?”

“I’m just saying that neither one of us had positive role models. They didn’t really let us see how real men should live and behave.”

“I agree. My old man was a bastard. But Vic, he was a great guy. When he was in town, he was always there for us. He helped guide us and helped us understand what it meant to be gay in a not-so-accepting world.”

“Do you ever think that maybe it was such an unaccepting world, because there was a better way to grow up and learn to become a man?”

“You know, Michael, both Deb and Emmett said you seem to be questioning your sexuality. But I just can’t believe that you’re really all that confused. I think this Maryann is pushing her religion on you.”

“Maryann is a great girl, and a great friend. I won’t have you dissing her just because you don’t agree with her beliefs.”

“Her beliefs? It sounds like she’s brainwashing you.”

“Think about it, Brian. You had no one to turn to when you were young. I know about your… your tryst with Uncle Vic. I know you tried to hide it from me, you and him. But you both knew it was wrong, and you were so young at the time.”

“Michael.”

“No! Hear me out! Then there was our gym teacher. He basically raped you, even if you don’t want to believe it. He was a grown man, and an authority figure. He knew better, but he did it anyways.”

“Michael, you’re way off base.”

“No. Please listen to me. It’s not surprising that you tried to seduce me, we were so young. And it’s only normal to have questions about your sexuality, and to experiment with sex. But you should have been trying it with girls.”

Brian shakes his head. This nurse has really done a number on Michael.

“First of all, I didn’t try to seduce you. We were teenage boys. Besides, you were hard before I even touched you. Blame Patrick Swayze if you need to blame someone.”

“Everything’s a joke with you! I’m trying to tell you that it’s not your fault. You probably couldn’t help it when you came on to your nephew John. After all he’s about the same age as when you started touching me.”

“I didn’t touch John! And I didn’t start touching you! I may have cupped your cock for all of about ten seconds. So please stop making that encounter some turning point in your life.”

“I’m not done!”

“I am!”

“You sit and hear this. Damn it! Look what you’ve done to Justin. He was a virgin, and you seduced him. Made him want you and now, now you’re marrying him.”

“It that what your real problem is, Michael?”

“No! Not anymore. I don’t want you and I don’t want to be with men anymore.”

Brian raises his eyebrows. “Sure, we’ll see about that.’

“I’m going to marry Maryann when I get out of the hospital. I’ve found my way to God, and it’s not too late for you. You don’t have to marry Justin. You could give your children to a loving Christian couple who would raise them properly.”

“Fuck you, Michael! I love Justin! I love my sons, and I’m not giving any of them up because of your misguided sense of religion!”

“Think about what I’ve said, Brian. The Lord forgives. It’s not too late!”

Brian’s already halfway down the hall, he doesn’t even know who Michael is these days. It seems he’s like a sponge, absorbing everything anyone spews at him. He’s unable to see the truth or deceit behind their words. It truly makes his skin crawl, thinking about how fucked up Michael has become. He stops at Woody’s on the way home and has a drink with Ted and Emmett. He gives them an update on his visit with Michael and they’re beside themselves, wondering where their friend has gone, and who this stranger is living in his body. It’s like he’s a pod person right of out of ‘Invasion of the Body Snatchers.”

TBC…