- Text Size +
Story Notes:

DISCLAIMER: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

Thanks Lorie for being my Beta

Author's Chapter Notes:

Thanks Lorie for being my Beta.

BRIAN

 

When Justin first moved to New York I used work to occupy my time. Then I just moved part-time to New York. We worried about breaking up, because of the distance. I told Justin, we didn’t stay together through all the crap just to fall down now over distance. Justin was living with Daphne’s friend until we had time to find our own place. We were both busy, and within six months Justin was getting shows with other new artists.  

 

We were able to get a large loft apartment reasonably priced because it needed a lot of work. We remodeled it so that Justin could have a studio and I could have an office. I was in New York every other week, not only to see Justin but because of accounts. My clients like to have access to someone in New York. New York became lucrative for both of us.

 

Justin came home for his first holiday at the end of his second year in New York. It was a disaster. After that, we decided to stay in New York except for the holidays. Michael gave Justin grief about my having to go to New York all the time. Michael said I wasn’t able to spend time with the gang. I heard I wasn’t able to spend time with Michael. Lindsay told Justin he needed to call her for advice, she could help him guide his career. I heard her jealousy of Justin succeeding. Debbie was just upset that Justin was so far away. She was happy Justin’s career was a success and told him just to visit more.

 

I walked into a conversation that Lindsay was trying to have with Justin. Justin told me not to get involved when Linds wanted to bitch about his career or our relationship, so I stayed out of it.

 

“Justin, you need to stop letting people distract you from your career. If I was your manager, I would have told you to let go of Pittsburgh. Being an artist is a hard career to maintain and unless you stop letting others get in your way, you’re never going to make it.” Linds tells Justin.

 

“Linds, I’ve already had five shows in New York and my agent told me that that is more than most artists get in the first two years. Truthfully, I would rather listen to an agent who has guided five famous artists to the top, than to you. You need to worry about the kids and Mel, not me.” Justin tells her.

 

“If I was able to move to New York, I could work as your agent,” Linds tells Justin.

 

“Linds don’t take this the wrong way, but you don't have any experience managing an artist. If I wanted advice I would ask Peter, my agent. Why would you even think about moving to New York?” Justin asks her.

 

“Mel and I moved and ignored the fact that we still have problems, all we do is fight about everything. I want to take Gus and either move back here or maybe try New York. I have experience working in a gallery, if you help me out I could get a job in one of the major galleries.” Linds tells Justin.

 

“Gallery owners want my art, not my opinion on staffing Linds. If you want to do that, I would suggest sending them a resume.” Justin tells her.

 

“It’s just a suggestion, Justin. I know you don’t hire for the galleries, but a recommendation isn’t a big deal. I also wanted to see if you could talk to Brian about visiting Gus more. Brian is spending so much time with you that Gus is getting neglected.” Linds is starting to badger Justin.

 

“Linds, you need to talk to Brian, I won’t guilt him for you. Gus spends every other weekend with Brian and me. If he needs us more than we’ll make more time. I'm going in, I’ve had enough of this conversation.” Justin tells her.

 

“Justin, how long do you think Brian is going to keep putting aside his life to keep running after you?” Linds asks him.

 

“Apparently longer than you thought when you interfered with that article. I don't need pointers on my relationship from someone who can't even work on their own.” Justin told her and walked back into the house.

 

This is one of the major reasons we stay in New York, to get away from everyone telling us how to run our lives. Justin wanted our lives to be about us, not about what everyone thinks it should be. He said that it amazes him they have so many opinions when they can hardly keep their own relationships going.

 

Michael is acting as if he's a slighted housewife.

 

“Brian, how can you stay in business if you're constantly in New York?” He asks me.

 

“I have clients who wanted more than phone conversations to discuss accounts, it is actually better that I have an office there,” I tell him.

 

“You need to tell them if they want a personal touch they need to come to you. You have responsibilities here.” Michael tells me.

 

“What responsibilities Michael? Gus lives in the Great White North and Justin lives in New York. New York is closer to Gus. You know, my responsibility.” I tell him.

 

“What about your friends? You hardly spend time with me... us, anymore. I miss my best friend, but even when you're here you only have time for work. Don't you miss going out with the gang?” Michael asks me.

 

“You need to worry about your life, Michael. I’m managing just fine without the drugs, drinking, and tricks.” I tell him.

 

“What about me, or is Justin going to replace my position as your best friend too?” Michael asks me.

 

I look at this person, who constantly tells us how his relationship with Ben is so fulfilling, yet the minute we aren't around, he complains that he is being neglected. Justin takes my attention from him, so he is being selfish. I wonder if he has a voodoo doll of Justin that he sticks pins into every time I go to New York. Ted told me Michael shows up at Kinnetik and tries to tell him that he should be upset that I leave him with all the responsibility at work. Ted told Michael to go read a comic.

 

Deb told me to stop letting the petulant twosome bother us. I told her that we wouldn't bother with either one but we want to see her, and Gus comes with Linds. Mel has actually had to rein in Linds. Linds actually tried to tell us if Gus visited she should come too.

 

“Why would Gus need you there? Brian and Justin are just fine with him.” Mel told her.

 

“I want to make sure Gus isn’t stuck with a babysitter all the time,” Linds said to her in front of me.

 

“When Gus visits, Justin and I don't use or need babysitters, we take time off of everything to be with him,” I tell her.

 

“This why Justin needs you to stay in Pittsburgh. You're leaving him to take care of Gus. How can Justin have a career if he is taking so much time off?” Linds asks me.

 

“Linds, Justin is already successful, why even bring that up?” Mel asked her.

 

“Brian doesn’t understand what it takes to make it in the art world. If he did he wouldn’t ask Justin to risk his career by being his fuckbuddy.” Linds tells us.

 

“Justin stopped being my ‘fuckbuddy’ around year two of our relationship Linds. We have been and are partners. We don't owe you or anybody else explanations on how we run our lives. I'm here to pick up my son, not argue about Justin’s place in my life.” I tell her.

 

“Brian, you need to listen to me. I know what it is going to take for Justin to make it. It isn't running after your ‘partner’, it’s working on your craft.” Linds tells me.

 

“Well, I guess Justin should listen to you, your career is so successful, isn't it? Wait no, that’s Justin, you never got past finishing college. If you need to give advice Linds, give it to the kids in your art class. Then maybe the ten-year-olds you teach could become the artists you never were.” Mel tells her.

 

I left with Gus. The merry munchers can fight on their own.

 

Justin was ready to move home at the end of year four. His agent told him he was at the point where people would come to him. I transferred my top Ad executive from Pittsburgh to the accounts in New York, and we started transferring everything to Pittsburgh and our home, Britin. Jen and Deb worked with the crew that was preparing the house, so it was ready when we moved in.

 

Justin and I had married in New York and filed for Legal Domestic Partnership in Pittsburgh. Jen, Gus, and Deb were there for it. Ted, Emmett, and Cynthia were on Skype. Linds and Michael were trying to tell us we were making a mistake so we didn’t invite them. I told Justin if he wanted a bigger ceremony we could have one. He said not after the last one.

 

Justin and I decided we wanted to have kids together before we moved back. Justin said he wanted us to be able to have the kids to ourselves first. We donated and had the babies with the same egg donor. The babies were born from the same surrogate, twins with different fathers. We had two girls. That caused a tidal wave from the twosome. Deb tore into both of them. She told them no one asked their opinion and to stop thinking anybody wanted to hear either of them bitch. I told her not to worry about what they thought, just enjoy being a grandmother to Beth and Victoria.

 

Justin and I kept swimming along. We bumped into the wave of advice when we had to see Linds and the wave of Michael’s constant need for attention when we visited Deb. Otherwise, we were happy in our lives. I told Justin not to let Linds and Michael bother us. I have a hard time taking advice from two people who still haven’t gotten their own lives together.

 

JUSTIN

 

We finally moved back after five years of living in New York. The girls were already walking and I don’t think I will ever need a gym again after having to chase them everywhere. The girls seem to think if they need to get somewhere you run to it. I told Brian we would need leashes until they understood walking is just as easy. Brian thinks the girls are perfect, it could be because when he says stop they will. Me, they giggle at and keep running.

 

I wanted to raise them with a yard. Apartments are not a place kids have room to play and get messy. It was the reason I wanted to come home. The girls would have their grandmothers and all the room in the world at the house. My only worry was them being around Michael and Linds as they got older. Michael, because he runs at the mouth and little ears hear everything. Linds, because she suddenly feels the need to mother my children. I don’t mind if she wants to spend time with them, but she is using it as a reason to be at my house constantly and give me the same lecture about my career over and over. She is also pissed at Brian for making us move back.

 

Linds is nice to the girls. She just felt once again I was limiting myself to keep Brian happy. We got the speech.

 

“Children are a lot of responsibility, they take up your time. Justin should be free to have a career, not be tied down. Brian, you should've thought of that before you brought children into Justin’s life.” She lectured us.

 

“Well Linds, unlike you, Justin not only managed a successful career but is a successful father. Instead of lecturing us, go home and take care of your children. If you leave now Gus and JR won't have to wait at the school for you to pick them up, again.” Brian tells her.

 

“I was just offering advice. Beth and Victoria are going to need a woman in their life.” Linds tells me.

 

“Jen and Deb are doing fine helping to turn the girls into women. I think that at the age of one, we still have time to worry about them growing up. Now, go get Gus before the school calls again.” Brian practically shoves her out the door.

 

Linds and Mel moved back last year when Mel got offered a partnership here in Pittsburgh. The money she could make in a month was more than she made in a year at the small firm in Canada. She said she was ready to move back, Linds was driving everyone in the house crazy. Linds had a hard time keeping a job. She was too busy trying to run my career. Since she had nothing to do with my career, I couldn't figure out what that had to do with her working. Mel told me it didn’t, Linds was bored and hadn't tried to make a life in Canada. When the offer came to move back, Mel thought it would be good for them to come home. Linds still had friends here and Mel hoped she could find something to do other than badger me.

 

“Why do you put up with it?” I ask her.

 

“I love her, Justin. If this was about Brian, I wouldn’t put up with it. It’s about seeing you succeed where she failed. It’s hard to watch someone being able to do something you couldn’t.” Mel tells me.

 

“I guess I don't understand accepting failure. Nobody is successful if they don't keep trying. She gave up at the first hurdle. Do I get rave reviews all the time? No, I don't, but I keep going. I don’t have time to be her prize for giving up.” I tell her.

 

“I don’t expect you to. I just want you to understand why she acts the way she does.” Mel tells me.

 

I told Mel I understand, but I don’t have time to deal with it. I never told her about Linds offering to move away from her with Gus. I think that if Mel wants to put up with it, she has to live with Linds, I don’t.

 

Michael, on the other hand, tries to pretend I don’t exist. He isn't openly hostile to our daughters, but he tries to get Brian to go out and leave the girls with me.

 

“Justin can take care of his kids. We can go to Babylon and have a reunion with the guys. Justin you don’t mind do you?” Michael, the man-boy says.

 

“We have plans to take our children to Jen’s for dinner tonight Michael. I have to go pick up Gus in an hour.” Brian tells Michael.

 

“I’m getting JR and taking her to Ma’s for dinner. You should call Jen and tell her to come over, then they can keep the kids while we go out. Justin can take the girls home with him.” Michael acts like it’s the perfect answer to getting what he wants.

 

“I would, but you know, I think I want to spend time with my kids and not have my attention dragged away by talking about things that don’t interest me anymore,” Brian tells him.

 

“Emmett and Ted aren’t going to be at Ma’s tonight.” Michael can be really dense.

 

“I thought you wanted to go out with the gang, Mikey.” Brian reminds Michael.

 

“I’ll call them, but if they can’t come, we can always go out with Ben’s friends. They all work at the college.” Michael tells Brian.

 

“I’m sure it’s fascinating to hang out at the club with the professors who teach the guys at the club, but I think I would rather be here with the girls and Gus,” Brian tells him.

 

“We could have fun, but you would rather hang out with a bunch of kids. Where is the Brian who could stay out all night and still be a success at work?” Michael thinks that still works on Brian.

 

“I left him on the side of the road before I killed myself, Michael. Go have fun, you can tell me about all I missed for the next week and a half.” Brian tells him.

 

Michael leaves to go back home, saying on the way out that Brian needs to get a life. Brian asks me if we should move further away. I told him I can work from anywhere but Kinnetik is still based in Pittsburgh. Brian said he can change that. We both started to laugh.

 

I hope we don’t end up killing Linds and Michael, but I will not have our lives dictated to.

 

LINDS

 

I can’t believe Justin won’t listen to me. Brian is ruining his career. I don’t want Justin to regret giving up a thriving career as an artist to play housewife for Brian. I love Brian, but he doesn’t see what Justin is giving up, I do. I tried to tell Mel, but she told me that I needed to stop projecting my wants on Justin. I don’t do that, I’m just trying to encourage Justin.

 

Well, at least they moved back so I can work on helping Justin keep his career on the right path. I talked with his agent, Peter, to see what he thinks about the family and move. Peter told me Justin can paint his ass in bright bold colors and people would buy it. He also told me that he doesn’t tell his clients how to run their lives. I told Peter that if I hadn’t settled down, I might have made it as an artist, but I settled down and had children. Now I teach instead of reaching my potential, and I want Justin to have no regrets. He told me that it takes more than being able to draw to be an artist.

 

I was sitting in the parking lot, trying to think of a way to help Justin, when I realize the kids are late. I get out of the car and walk to the front of the school. I see them standing at the sidewalk with the principal. It looks like the principal is waiting for me. Crap, I parked in the side lot, because I hate waiting in the carpool line.

 

“Ms. Peterson, this is the third time in two weeks you’ve been late picking up the children. You need to start making arrangements to pick them up on time.” The principal tells me.

 

“I’m sorry, it was my fault. A friend needed my help with his children and time got away from me. I’ll make sure it doesn’t happen again.” I hate this asshole.

 

“We can’t keep people here to watch the children unless you want to start paying for after-school care. I can get you the information. The kids are kept here until 5 pm, but you can get them at any time. It might be something for you to look into.” He tells me.

 

I tell him it won’t be an issue and get the kids in the car.

 

MICHAEL

 

Brian needs to spend his free time with me. He’s been back for a few weeks and all he wants to do is work and go home. When Brian came home I told Ben it could be like it was before he left us for Boy Wonder.

 

“Michael, Brian has two businesses to run and small children to raise. He isn’t going to want to go clubbing all night long anymore. We need to concentrate on JR and our jobs.” Ben tells me.

 

“I’m not asking him to go out every night, just once in a while. Justin can watch his own kids.” I tell Ben.

 

“They are both Brian and Justin’s kids Michael, Brian has changed. He is no longer a twenty-nine-year-old club boy. If he wants to keep his businesses successful and raise his children, he can’t do that and party all night.” Ben tells me.

 

“He could at least come to the diner once in a while, but it’s like he can’t leave Justin alone,” I tell Ben.

 

Ben tells me to remember when JR was a little girl, we skipped out on Brian too. I act like I understand because Ben will keep trying to push the point. I just want to be able to have fun with my best friend. Brian isn’t even coming for breakfast at the diner in the mornings. I have to close my shop to catch him at lunch and Justin and the girls are always with him.

 

I talked to Ted and he told me that it was none of my business what Brian is doing. I told Ted that the old Brian would be horrified at having a family life. Ted told me Brian grew up and wanted more than to be the life of a party. I told Ted Brian isn’t going to be happy living like that for long. Ted said I shouldn't hold my breath waiting.

 

Emmett wasn’t any help either, he settled down with Calvin. Calvin had a kid from a marriage he was in before he figured out he was gay. The baby mama wanted to get remarried and didn’t want a kid around. So Calvin and Emmett are raising the kid. Emmett told me that life moves on and I better move with it.

 

Ma is so in love with the girls that she tells me to go home to Ben. I just wish people would listen to me. I know my best friend.