- Text Size +

 

 

 

 

 

 

JUSTIN

 

Mel called to tell me Michael was denied custody, and for now will only get supervised visitation. He went into the mediation without any preparation. It doesn’t surprise either of us.

 

Mel got a surprise when she returned home. Linds decided to move back in. Mel wanted to know if we could keep Gus and JR, so she could handle Linds.

 

“I don’t want the kids to see me kick her out,” Mel tells me.

 

“Linds had to see this coming,” I tell her. I would if I was her.

 

“Linds seems to think everything is fine. I came home this morning to pick up some paperwork, she was sitting in the kitchen drinking coffee and saying we need to work things out. I told her I would talk to her after the hearing.” Mel tells me.

 

I tell her the kids can stay with us. Linds can’t really think that after everything she could come home and act like everything is great. Then again, this is Linds we’re talking about. Mel thanks me for helping out again.

 

I wish I could live in the worlds of Linds and Michael. Michael probably thinks that Brian will let him have a pass on the restraining order. I told Brian that if he tells Michael he doesn’t like the color yellow on him, Michael hears that Brian wants him to wear blue. If he tells Michael, “I want to spend time with my family”, Michael hears “Justin is demanding my time.” Michael rewrites the dialogue to fit what he wants to hear. Linds, on the other hand, hears you but tries to convince you she knows better. She called Peter’s office yesterday and told the secretary I would be mad that Peter didn’t want to talk to her. I’m so glad I’m gay, women are scary creatures.

 

MEL

 

I went to Brian’s office, to tell him the verdict and to apologize for once again having to ask Justin and him to take care of the kids.

 

“Mel, it’s fine. I enjoy having Gus and JR around. Granted, if you asked me ten years ago, I’d have told you to put the crack pipe down.” Brian tells me with a smirk.

 

“I don’t think Linds is going to leave without a fight,” I tell him.

 

“Don’t let her talk you into anything. Linds learned ‘manipulation 101’ from the womb. I told Justin to shut her down if she tries to reason with him. You need to do the same, Mel. She is going to try and make this all about you not trying to work things out.” Brian tells me.

 

“It is me not wanting to work it out anymore. The last straw for me was that she is practically stalking Justin like a crazy fan. The counselor tried to tell her we needed to talk about problems in our relationship and it’s like Linds thinks if Justin would just give in to her, we would be fine. Before it was about you, now she seems to think you’re the problem. I was okay with it truthfully, I wasn’t in fear of her leaving me for you anymore.” I tell him.

 

“Mel, I am gay, have been gay all my life. Yes, Linds and I played hide the hot dog one night, but it was about getting off, not being in love. You also need to understand Linds and Michael have always had unrealistic perceptions of their importance in my life. At one time, I needed people who would be there. I didn’t care that I was leading either of them on. Yes, it was selfish, but then so was I. I treated everyone like shit most of the time, you included. I probably would have kept going the same way if Justin hadn’t shown up.” Brian tells me.

 

“It’s different this time Brian. Linds is acting as though Justin is married to her. I told her in one session the only people Justin needs to please are you and your children. Linds said that Justin should want her and only her to be there for him.” I tell him. I get up to go home to face the dragon.

 

“Mel, if you want me to be there, or even Ted, we can. I don’t think we would be much help, but we could be moral support.” Brian offers.

 

“It’s time to put on the big girl pants I took off on the way to Canada, but thank you for the offer.” I leave his office and start the drive to the house.

 

It’s still strange that Brian and I get along now. I think it’s because Linds doesn’t have rose-colored glasses where Brian is concerned and we don’t have anything to fight about anymore. When Linds stopped catering to Brian and started running after Justin, I ignored it. I even tried to make excuses to Justin for it. Justin deserved better from me than excuses.

 

I parked in the driveway and sat in the car. I want us to be able to leave this relationship on good terms, we share children. I’m worried she is going to try and use Gus as a bargaining tool. We are both his legal parents and I don’t want to have to take this to court to keep Gus. Linds couldn’t win any more than Michael could, I just don’t want Gus to feel like he has to tell Linds he would rather stay with anybody but her. Gus told me he wanted to live with his dads or me. Linds shows up and it’s like she expects that spending thirty minutes asking about the kids day fulfills any obligation she has to them. It’s time to stop stalling. I enter the house and find Linds on the phone.

 

“Look, I have called you four times in the last two days and you can’t seem to do your job. When I tell you to have Peter call me, it means have him call me now, not when he decides to.” Linds tells the person on the phone. “I don’t care how busy you think he is, Justin is going to have his head if he doesn’t return my call. Justin depends on me to make sure Peter doesn’t screw up his career. No, I want him on the phone. If Peter doesn’t get on the phone immediately, tell him Justin is going to find a new agent. Hello... HELLO?” Linds is muttering that she is going to have to take over Justin’s career. I clear my throat, to get her attention. Linds looks up from the phone.

 

“Mel, can you believe this, Peter isn’t returning my calls. Justin and I need to sit down and talk about firing Peter. If Peter isn’t going to help Justin’s career, Justin needs to let me take over.” Linds is really in her own world.

 

“Linds we need to talk about our relationship. I think it’s time we make the separation permanent. We don’t want the same things anymore. It’s like we coexist with each other, but the reason we stayed together is that it was easier than admitting we made a mistake when we got back together.” I tell her.

 

“Mel, is Justin bringing the kids here this afternoon?” She asks like I never said a word.

 

“No. Justin is keeping Gus and JR, so we could talk,” I tell her.

 

“Justin needs to be able to work, not take care of the kids. Call him and tell him to bring them here. You’ll take care of all the kids tonight. I’ll go with Justin to his house so we can plan his show.” Linds needs help.

 

“Linds, since you weren’t listening, I’ll spell it out for you. I want you out of the house, immediately. We need to talk about dissolving our marriage.” I tell her.

 

“Look, I agree with you, but Justin needs me. Just get me the paperwork and I’ll sign. I guess I’ll have to call Justin since you won’t.” Linds grabs her phone.

 

I sit on the sofa and stare at her. Linds is pacing from the living room into the kitchen and back. She called Justin and I assume was sent to voicemail. She hung up and tried again.

 

“Mel, I need to go and take care of some things. I’ll talk to you later.” Linds walks out of the living room to the front door and leaves.

 

What the hell was that? I called Justin and told him Linds might be on her way to his house.

 

“Did it go okay?” He asks me.

 

“Justin, we need to talk. Linds didn’t even react to me asking her to leave. She just kept talking about you and her.” I tell him.

 

“What about me and her?” He asks me.

 

“When I got home, she was trying to talk to Peter. The secretary must have hung up the phone on Linds. She started talking about you and her firing Peter and working together on your show. She even told me I needed to get all the kids and take care of them so you two could work.” I tell him. Then I ask Justin if he wants to bring Gus and JR to me. Linds might show up and cause a scene at his house. Justin tells me he is going to ask Emmett to watch the kids because he needs to talk to Brian.

 

BRIAN

 

Justin calls me and tells me what the crazy lesbian is up to now. He is dropping the kids off with Emmett, so we can talk without worrying about little ears. Ted was sitting in the chair in front of my desk. I gave Ted the rundown on Linds. Ted has been out of the loop with Austin being born.

 

“Why is Linds so concerned about Justin? If this was about you, I could see it. She has always had an older sister relationship with Justin.” Ted is confused by the way Linds has been acting.

 

“At first it was her unwanted advice. She keeps trying to take over Justin’s life. She offered to mother Victoria and Beth.” We both snorted at that.

 

“I know Justin has told her to butt out, but maybe it’s time to look at this as stalking. I mean, between you and Justin, stalking might have been invented.” Ted tells me.

 

It’s something I should talk to Nick about at this point. Justin isn’t going to be harassed by Linds. When Justin told me Linds didn’t seem to care that her marriage was over, I knew it was because Mel no longer served a purpose to Linds.

 

“Brian, think about that singer Selena. The woman, Yolanda, was the president of her fan club and Selena considered her a friend. When Selena tried to fire her for embezzlement and eject Yolanda  from her life, she killed her.” Ted really thinks he’s helping.

 

“Hopefully Linds hasn’t gone full-on crazy, but thanks for the visual Ted,” I respond sarcastically.

 

“Yeah, I guess that wasn’t a great comparison. I don’t think Linds would kill Justin, but she could try to kidnap him or something... I think I’ll just shut up now.” Ted tells me. I thank him for all the helpful information and tell him to stop trying to help.

 

Cynthia tells me I have a visitor, and the woman of the hour is standing in my doorway. I ask Linds to have a seat, I would be right back. I followed Cynthia out the door and told her Justin is on his way here and to keep him away for now. Linds and I need to have a talk. I think I’ll make Ted stay. He owes me for the doom and gloom analogies he made me think about.

 

LINDS

 

I decided instead of going to Justin first, it was time Brian and I talk about my expectations, since I’ll have to take over for Peter. I drove to Kinnetik, and I decided to tell Brian it was time to let Justin go. He and Mel could raise Gus, while Justin and I are traveling. Justin can work in the loft in New York, it will give me time to make contacts. It will all work out.