- Text Size +

 

 

 

 

 

KYLE

 

I’ve been sitting in front of my computer and I have a blank screen, I’m so going to be fired. What do you write about these guys? My editor said I got a lot of responses and wants to write a blurb every couple days. I mean it doesn’t even have to be that long.

 

In the three days I’ve been with the men and women of Pittsburgh, I thought you would get an article about the hardships and triumphs they face being gay. What I learned is that they don’t pay attention to the world, only to each other. I’ve witnessed two proposals of marriage, each one unique to the men asking their partners to marry them. The family, related through love, cheering them on. Want to know the difference? Other than both partners being men, the couples are in love. Isn’t that why we get married, to be united with the person we love?

 

I think we should refer to the couples as A, B,C, and so forth. I want to let them have privacy in their lives.  Let’s start with couple A. This couple married in Canada, because at the time they wanted someone to recognize their Union. The family celebrated with them, but the minute they tried to cross back in the United States, they were told the United States doesn’t recognize their Union. On what should have been a time of joy for Michael Novotny, it became once again discrimination. On June 26, 2015, couple A went to join the thousands of others to finally have their union recognized and that was when they caught my attention. Michael’s mother wanted the protesters to leave everyone in peace. I wished I could have asked each of the protesters what two people in love and getting married had to do with the protesters lives. I think the only answer I would have gotten was the old, tired “It’s a sin, they're going to burn in hell.” I say let them, it will leave more room in heaven for people who judge other people. Maybe we should reread the part of the Bible that tells us “Judge not, that ye be not judged”, then the protesters need to tell everyone they lead perfect lives. I suppose none of them had a child out of wedlock, divorced, stole something, or hey, decided they know better than God. God made man in his image, but gave them free will. God made theses men and women gay, it’s not our job to judge them for it. It’s time to congratulate couple A instead of condemning them.

 

I send this to my editor, I want to separate each couple to have something to write. I also figured I could placate Michael since I used his name.

 

I was roped into helping Emmett with his wedding. The only person not helping is Brian. I have to figure out how he gets them to not even try to ask him. Emmett told us to meet at the diner that way everyone could help and talk at the same time. I almost asked Emmett, if expected to get anything done. Well time to tell how they work together.

 

I get to the diner and the group has taken over the whole diner. What is interesting is people who are just there to eat are helping them.

 

“Hey Kyle.” A guy I don’t even know, says.

 

“Kyle help me arrange the seating chart, I tried to get Justin to do it but he was doodling all over the page.” Emmett shows me Justin’s doodles.

 

“Emmett, sell it, you could probably pay for the wedding.” I tell him.

 

“See, I was just trying to help.” Justin tells him.

 

“Justin, helping means doing something, not trying to sneak off to the bathroom with Brian.” Michael yells.

 

“It’s helping me.” Brian tells us.

 

“Look, let them sneak off and all of us will help pay for the wedding.” A guy snickers.

 

“Yeah, it’s like ‘Jerk at Work’ Emmett. We can charge admission.” Ted adds.

 

“I’ll pay twenty, if they let me touch.” A guy leers at Justin.

 

“I’ll make sure you never use your dick again.” Brian warns.

 

“Guys, little ears.” Lindsay tell them.

 

“Yes Brian and Justin, do we need to talk to each other?” Jen tells them.

 

“Well I could try to TALK with you, just can’t promise it will be fabulous.” Brian tells her.

 

“Brian, if we TALK you might not remember your gay when I’m done.” Jen tells him. The whole diner hoots. And Justin just shakes his head.

 

“I would, but well, Lindsay might get jealous.” Brian tells her.

 

“Jen, it isn’t worth the time it takes to get him drunk enough.” Lindsay tosses out.

 

“Can I ask, what we were suppose to do here?” Michael asks Emmett.

 

“Well, I wanted to get everything planned out and um okay, nothing. Drew hired a team of planners, I just wanted to pretend I planned something.” Emmett tells them.

 

“Are you telling me, you interrupted my TALK with Justin because you’re bored?” Brian asks Emmett.

 

“No. Okay maybe.” Emmett tells him.

 

“Mother Taylor, can you keep your adorable granddaughter today. Justin and I have some plans to make.” Brian asks Jen.

 

“Plans mean being dressed Brian.” Michael tells him. Everyone in the diner yells for Michael to shut up.

 

“I happen to do my best thinking when I’m naked with Justin.” Brian tells Michael. Now the diner is cheering.

 

“Any reason to be naked would be fun, wouldn’t it Kyle?” Gus tells me. How did he get behind me?

 

“GUS.” The women yell.

 

“Elle, want to go shopping with me and Granny Deb?” Jen asks Elle.

 

“Do I get to pick my dress?” Elle asks.

 

“Jen, if I pay for all the dresses will you promise not to take them to Big Q? I want my children to dress high end.” Brian throws a credit card at Jen.

 

“Big Q has nice stuff.” Michael tells us.

 

“Michael you don’t work there anymore, stop promoting them.” Emmett tells him.

 

“Jen buy Michael a suit while you're out.” Brian tells Jen.

 

“I can dress myself.” Michael snips at Brian.

 

“I think jeans and the worn out Captain Astro tee shirt wasn’t the look Emmett was going for.” Brian tells him.

 

“Well at least it isn’t cargo’s and paint stained shirts.” Michael tells them.

 

“Michael, when you make as much as Justin does painting in those clothes, then we’ll let you wear Captain Astro.” I tell him. Everyone stops and looks at me. Shit, did I do something wrong.

 

“Kyle, they’ve turned you.” Mel is shaking her head.

 

“It only took four days. High five Kyle.” Justin tells me.

 

“I’ll have you know, the kids in the comic shop love my superhero shirts.” Michael tells them.

 

“Okay Michael, if I get married in the comic shop you can wear Captain Astro.” Brian tells him.

 

“You really want to get married in the store? That would be so cool.” Michael tells everyone.

 

“Yeah, I think I should marry Justin in your comic shop, because it’s so cool.” Brian tells him.

 

“I could decorate it.” Michael is clinging to the idea.

 

“Sure decorate it, we’ll be by tonight to get married.” Brian tells him.

 

“REALLY?” Poor Michael just walked right into that one, apparently he has no idea what sarcasm is.

 

“Michael, we’ve been friends for thirty years right?” Brian asks him.

 

“Yeah since we were fourteen.” Michael agrees.

 

“Wouldn’t you agree that your comic shop is the last place on the planet Earth I would get married?” Brian asks Michael.

 

“I think you might pick it over, say Justin’s shitty apartment.” Ted throws out there.

 

“It wasn’t that bad.” Justin tells them.

 

“Justin, I had to carry insect spray just to visit.” Emmett tells him.

 

“You made me carry shit up eighteen flights of stairs.” Michael whines.

 

“It’ll help you lose the ten pounds you gained from eating all the pasta’s at Debs. That’s what he told me.” Ted tells us.

 

“Man, Pasta sounds good.” “Deb want to feed me?” Gus and Justin start begging her.

 

“I have stuff in the freezer, go get it and I’ll heat it for you.” Deb hands Gus the keys. I want to point out we are in a diner that serves food, but Deb can cook.

 

“Justin, we have plans.” Brian tells him.

 

“You want to have to stop to feed me?” Justin tells Brian. Brian actually thinks about this.

 

“Elle want to spend the night with Uncle Mikey?” Brian asks her.

 

“Yeah, we can watch movies and you can help me with the next edition of Princess Elle.” Michael is thrilled.

 

“Dad, you aren’t trying to get rid of me are you?” Elle ask him.

“Elle Girl, I wanted to let you have time with Uncle Mikey, since he and Uncle Ben never seem to TALK.” Brian tell her.

 

“Dad, Uncle Mikey talks in his sleep.” Elle tells him. Everyone laughs, Elle looks around trying to figure out why.

 

Lindsay and Mel decided to go with the girls and the guys start planning to meet at Woody's later. Gus tells me we could TALK at my hotel. I ask Emmett if he needs more volunteers.