- Text Size +

 

 

 

 

KYLE

 

I sat at the table with Justin and with everyone else busy, I figured maybe I could ask him some questions. I had to try.

 

“Justin, why the simple ceremony?” I ask him.

 

“We already feel married, it was just to let everyone be a part of it.” Justin tells me.

 

“Why here and not the house, like Brian suggested earlier?” I ask him.

 

“If we did it at the house, and told them ahead of time, everyone would feel like they had to help or buy things that Brian would trash.” Justin tells me.

 

“Like the fertility statue.” Mel adds. So much for asking questions, I shouldn't even try anymore.

 

“What ever happened to that statue?” Emmett asks Mel.

 

“Lindsay and I hid it in storage. Michael stopped asking where it was, so I figured it was safe to put it out of sight.” Mel tells Emmett.

 

“Remember Michael and Ted being pissy about that statue?” Justin asks Emmett.

 

“Oh my God, they spent the entire time bickering like children about it.” Emmett tells me.

 

“You act like they don’t always act like children.” Brian tells us.

 

“No, that would be you Brian.” Mel tells him.

 

“Mel, Justin is the adult in this relationship, I get to be forever young and beautiful.” Brian tells her.

 

“You mean you have to color your hair and use every anti-aging medication created, so people don’t ask if Justin is your kid.” Mel tells Brian.

 

“We’ve seen the gray hair.” Emmett tells him. Brian looks horrified.

 

“Brian you are young and beautiful, don’t let Emmett’s receding hairline bother you.” Ted snickers. Emmett touches his head.

 

“It’s great being young and blond, no one sees the gray, right Ted?” Justin looks at Ted.

 

“I was trying to look younger.” Ted argues.

 

“It didn’t work, he even tried dressing like Justin, when he went to the clubs.” Emmett tells us.

 

“I did not.” Ted truly looks offended.

 

“Tee shirt, jeans and a crappy jacket. Wait, that’s Michael.” Brian tells Ted.

 

“We can’t all pretend to be young and beautiful, like you.” Emmett tells Brian.

 

“He’s Brian Kinney, for fuck sake.” Michael shouts. Everyone just looks at him.

 

“Well he is.” Michael tells everyone.

 

“Michael you're like the guy who claps at the wrong time.” I tell him.

 

“No, dear Mikey, it’s now Brian Taylor-Kinney for fuck sake.” Justin teases Michael.

 

“It just doesn’t sound the same.” Michael tells Justin.

 

“Yeah, Mr Michael Novotny-Bruckner, wouldn’t know why you would have a problem with elongating a name.” Ted tells him.

 

“Emmett you plan on taking Drew’s name?” Did I just rescue Michael? It’s contagious.

 

“I would, but Honeycutt works for me. Boyd just doesn't scream party planner.” Emmett tells us.

 

“Are you and Blake going to make it official?” Mel asks Ted.

 

“Blake and I might sometime, but we aren't in a hurry.” Ted tells us.

 

“I would have bet on you and Blake before Brian and Justin.” Mel tells Ted.

 

“We already signed Partnership papers when we got Selena.” Ted tells us.

 

“I feel more committed being married than if we just signed a bunch of contracts.” Michael tells Ted.

 

“That’s how you feel, my relationship with Blake is based on how we feel.” Ted tells Michael.

 

“I don't get why you don't get married, you pretty much signed you life over to Blake anyway.” Michael tells him.

 

“I don't jump on a cause just to show off.” Ted tells Michael.

 

“It’s to support gay rights.” Michael just won't give up.

 

“Hey Monty, or is it Eli, let it go.” Brian tells Michael.

 

“You supported the cause Brian, and Eli and Monty aren't that bad.” Michael answers.

 

“Of course not, they just think we set the gay movement back, and remind us of that every time you bring them out with us.” Emmett tells him.

 

“They tell everyone how to live their lives.” Ted adds.

 

“Maybe if they borrowed the sling I gave you, they’d stop trying to be the Beaver’s parents. I swear I saw Eli wearing a dress while vacuuming one day.” Brian tells Michael.

 

“It was just an apron.”Michael tells us.

 

“You ever seen that boring ass show Gay as Blazes, Kyle?” Justin asks me.

 

“It think I watched like one or two shows. They should have called Boring as Blazes.” I tell him.  Justin high fives me.

 

“That’s what it’s like when Michael makes us hang out with Eli and Monty.” Brian tells me.

 

“When I was doing naked housekeeping, I swore the couple were from the show. I started to believe it was real.” Emmett tells us.

 

“Until they both let you blow them.” Ted tells Emmett.

 

“I had a new respect for Brian and Justin after that.” Emmett tells us.

 

“Eli and Monty aren't like that.” Michael defends his friends.

 

“If they were, we would have liked them.” Brian tells Michael.

 

“Michael, nobody likes them.” Deb tells him.

 

“Ma, they just didn't like all the sex talk.” Michael tells her.

 

“It’s because they stopped having sex when they became girls.” Ted tell Michael.

 

“You know, I once explained to Michael, us girls  probably have hotter sex than you one hit wonders.” Mel tells us.

 

“Ma, make her stop before she tells me again.” Michael whines to Deb. All the guys start whining with Michael.

 

“Michael you did something cool, all on your own.” Justin pats him on the back. Michael smiles but looks confused.

 

“I hate all you guys.” Mel tells us.

 

Everyone starts getting ready to go home. It was fun just hanging out. Brian tells everyone not to bother him and Justin until the weekend, unlike Michael, they are going to honeymoon.  

 

I decided to sit down and write about each couple and the difference in their views.

 

I attended the wedding of the couple I’ll refer to as B. The two of them had signed up for Legal Domestic Partnership, before marriage equality. While couple C is having a bigger wedding over the weekend, couple B only got married so the family could witness their joining. Couple B tried to have a commitment ceremony, but in the end decided against it. It’s my belief that Couple B are realists. They don’t do things that, in the end are just a pointless exercise to them. Neither got married to give each other rights, but because for them it was time. Their son told me, they would get married but didn’t want the bells and whistles. The wedding was short and to the point and made the family happy, that was why they did it at the club they own. It wasn’t a statement for them.

 

Couple C have a wedding planned for this weekend. At the after party for Couple B’s wedding, they discussed changing their names and  even though they are having the big wedding the grooms are keeping their original names. Couple B combined their names but still go by their original last names in public. Couple A combined their names after getting married in Canada.  They argued with a man, part of Couple D, he and his partner aren’t in any hurry to make it official. He told them they would when they wanted to. A discussion on the importance of supporting the cause ensued.  He stood firm on it not being a big issue in his relationship.

 

I think part of the excitement of the group is how they are all in sync with each other. They can talk about an issue and no one has to explain anything, they just all get it. In every discussion they make fun of each other and no one get’s their feelings hurt. This is true friendship at it’s best.

 

I stare at this article and wondered if my life would be different if these people had been there to guide me. My life wasn’t difficult, but my circle of friends are no longer as close as the gang of men and women in this article. They help each other and would be there for each other at the drop of a hat. Most of us only get one person like that in our lives, they have over thirty people in theirs.

 

I sent this in to my editor. I stopped trying to get any formal interviews, because if you pay attention, they are giving one, it just takes forever to get to the point.