- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

The end sounds like an ending but I just wanted to give Gus some help.

KYLE

 

After the kids get put to bed, it’s like Babylon on a Saturday night outside. Jen and Deb tell us to have fun and they head to bed. Brian tells us it’s time to really get this party started. Justin, Lindsay and Michael start to giggle and I suspect Brian had this planned. Emmett had his fifth cosmo in his hand. I have a feeling the breaking and entering is going to turn into a loud ‘wish we knew what we were doing, but we can’t remember the plan’ thing.

 

“KYLE, come here. Justin and I need you to help us escape.” Michael tells me. I think he meant to whisper but unfortunately for him he attracts everyone’s attention.

 

“Shut up Michael. We are supposed to quietly leave the party.” Emmett who is definitely drunk, he says this in front of Drew.

 

“Kyle, you should just lead them to the ocean and let them try to find their way home.” Mel tells me.

 

“Kyle is our pal, he wouldn’t do that and we also have Blake, he’s our sober buddy.” Justin tells everyone. I truly wonder, if they ever get a plan off the ground.

 

“You know, at one time I would have joined them.” Blake tells me.

 

“You still do, you just have to drive their drunk asses home after they try to reenact Rage.” Brian tells Blake.

 

“BRIAN YOU SHOULD PRETEND TO BE RAGE AND FLY TO OUR RESCUE.” Michael tells us. I want to ask Ben for the earplugs.

 

“I could be your Rage.” Gus whispers to me.

 

“I think I would be your Rage, Justin junior.” I tell him.

 

“Really, that would be hot.” Gus tells me.

 

“Gus, I might have to adopt a new gay son, one who can be less like a combination of Justin and Michael, someone who can take over where I left off in Pittsburgh.” Brian tells Gus.

 

“I think it’s sweet he doesn’t want your crown, Brian.” Mel tells him.

 

“Mel, you really want Gus to run all over town, chasing one guy. I mean look at his role model. Justin was driving Jen crazy and doing things nobody would believe.” Brian tells her.

 

“Justin also scored one of the highest scores on his SAT’s and was admitted to a prestigious college. Worked at the diner, created a comic, and still kept up with you.” Mel tells him.

 

“Um, guys?” I try to break in.

 

“He also ran away to New York with my credit card. Helped me by blackmailing Kip to drop the lawsuit, by letting Kip blow him. Ran around with the Pink Posse. You really want to let Gus copy that?” Brian tells her.

 

“Brian, Mel?” I try again.

 

“He also stood on his own feet, instead of letting you finance his life, and became a famous artist.” Mel tells him.

 

“GUYS.” I yell at them.

 

“WHAT?” Mel and Brian yell back.

 

“As much as, I love hearing all about Justin, you two might want to find out where he and his inebriated merry gang have disappeared to.” I tell them.

 

Ted, Mel, Ben, Drew and Brian look around and realize they disappeared while all of them were listening to Brian and Mel. I turn to look for Gus and realize he helped them.

 

JUSTIN

 

I love my son. He’s getting better at the distraction thing. I kind of wish Michael and I hadn’t drank the whole bottle of Tequila together. We decided to scale the gates from the back. Drew only put guards on the front.

 

“Emmett, Drew should know you have to guard every possible entrance. You need to teach him better.” I tell him.

 

“Justin, you have to keep some secrets from your man.” Emmett is swaying. We should have waited to drink.

 

“GUYS, we need to stick to the plan. How are you planning on getting through the gate?” Michael asks.

 

“We climb Michael. I mean, it’s only seven feet.” I giggle at Michael.

 

“Justin, what if there are mean attack dogs in there?” Michael must really be drunk.

 

“You hear any barking?” I ask him. Michael actually thinks about it.

 

“Maybe they’re silent attack dogs.” Michael needs to learn to be quiet.

 

“I’ll go first,” Emmett grabs the gate. I think he’s using it to hold himself up.

 

“I’ll go, I mean you guys will still be sitting on the ground. Leave it to a woman to do a man’s job.” Lindsay tells us. She would be more believable if she wasn’t lying in the sand.

 

I lay down with her and tell Michael and Emmett to start climbing. Lindsay and I start talking about taking the kids to Europe together, we’ll leave Mel and Brian at home to work. Emmett comes over and sits with us. We all look at Michael who is still attempting to climb over the gate.

 

“If you guys go to Europe, I get to come.” Emmett tells us.

 

“Like I could leave Theo behind.” I point out.

 

“How’s it going Michael?” Lindsay asks him.

 

“If you guys would help, we could get in.” Michael who is holding on to the top but only got his feet in the first rung of the fence tells us.

 

“Come on guys, we are going to have to boost Michael.” I tell them.

 

We all start to climb, but none of us are sober enough to hang on. I was falling off, Emmett just stood there, Lindsay, Miss ‘woman can do it better’ couldn’t even find the fence and Michael hopped up and hung on for dear life.

 

“We should have done this sober.” Michael tells us.

 

“You're the idiot who said you could drink me under the table.” I tell him.

 

“You're just like Brian, can’t let Mikey win.” Michael whines at me.

 

“No, I just don’t want anybody to accuse me of not being able to outsmart you.” I tell him.

 

“Are you over the fence yet?” Lindsay asks, looking at us from the ground.

 

“Yes Lindsay, we’re going to prove men could do it better.” Emmett says while leaning on the fence.

 

“We should have let Blake go first. He would probably be over it and back by now.” Michael whines.

“Wait, where did Blake go?” I ask.

 

We turn and look to see if he hung back. What we see is our partners, standing there laughing at all of us.

 

KYLE

 

Brian and the others start searching for the Avengers. We didn’t have to search long, they were talking so loud you could hear them for miles. I see Blake standing there talking on his phone. While the rest of them are arguing with each other.

 

“Do you think they are going to attempt to break in before the wedding tomorrow night?” Mel asks us.

 

“Do you think any of them could get over the fence, without breaking bones?” Ted asks them.

 

“Do you think we should stop them?” Drew asks them.

 

“Why bother, not a single one has gotten past holding on to the fence.” Brian tells us.

 

“Blake, why aren’t you helping them?” I ask him.

 

“I already climbed it, went in, looked around, climbed out and was back while they were talking about mean attack dogs and Europe.” Blake tells us.

 

“I want it to be a surprise for Emmett.” Drew glares at Blake.

 

“After I saw, I climbed out from the other side. I think Emmett should have to wait, since he worried so much.” Blake tells Drew.

 

We start listening to the Avengers talking about drinking and trying to prove men do it better, when they finally realize Blake is missing. I couldn’t help but laugh at them, they looked surprised that anyone would find them. Everyone else started laughing with me.

 

Brian told the kids to go to their rooms. They danced by us singing a bad rendition of ‘Hero’ by Enrique Iglesias. Brian grabbed Justin and told him they needed to discuss some important topics and took off.

 

“Ben, we should discuss some things too.” Michael tells him. Ben, smart man he is carried his husband to the house.

 

“Drew, we could play fireman.” Emmett giggles. Drew runs with Emmett.

 

“Mel, we can’t let the boys win.” Lindsay tells Mel.

 

At least Blake and Ted are still with me. I turn to see they have disappeared too.

 

“Well I can walk the beach and then head for bed.”

 

“Or you could walk the beach with me.” Gus tells me. Did I say that out loud?

 

“We can walk but nothing is going to happen. I need your promise.” I tell Gus.

 

“I promise, but if you try anything, I won’t stop you.” Gus tells me.

 

I walk down the beach with my future, and think Pittsburgh might not be a bad place to live. Gus held to his promise and we just talk about tomorrow and his life with the animal house. I almost wanted to call my editor and tell him I quit, but I need something to occupy me until Gus is older.