- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

One more chapter after this one.

KYLE

 

I woke up and realized Gus and I had slept out on the beach. I also see Brian sitting in front of us.

 

“If I didn’t like you, I might have smothered you in your sleep.” Brian tells me.

 

“Brian, nothing happened.” I tell him.

 

“I know that, but even with all the joking around, I want Gus to have the best life possible. I don’t want him to grow up as fast as Justin had to.” Brian tells me.

 

“Dad, I’m not going to get hurt. I have you to keep me safe.” Gus tells his dad.

 

“Yes, you do.” Brian gets up and heads back to the house.

 

It’s the first time I got to witness Brian the father, and I wish he’d been my dad. Gus and I walk back to the house, breakfast is in full swing. Drew is keeping everyone in the house because the fence is coming down. He told us everyone but Emmett can go out after breakfast. Emmett pouts and tells him it’s not fair.

 

Jen and Deb take Emmett to a room on the other side of the house to start getting ready. The rest of us go to see what Drew did. Good God, I want to marry Drew.

 

We walk through a wall of peach and white roses and end up in an oasis of color. I wanted pictures for my article.  Instead of chairs there are pews with bags of peach and white flower petals to throw as Emmett walks by. The stage where they are going to stand is a rainbow of flowers that surround the entire stage. Drew placed pictures of Emmett, the boys and him around the sides. Tables for later were lined up around the sides, each table had a pot of flowers in the middle. I ask what they are. Justin tells me Golden Gardenias. Drew tells me that it was Justin’s contribution to the wedding. I look everywhere, Drew wanted the wedding to be private so he had walls erected around the entire area. Every wall is decorated with white satin bows and Pink, Peach and Purple flowers in pots behind the center of each bow.

 

“Brian, if I ever marry Gus, I want this.” I tell him. Wait, did I really say that?

 

“I’m jealous we didn’t do this.” Justin tells Brian.

 

“Drew, I’ll leave Ben if you throw me a wedding like this.” Michael jokes.

 

“Yeah no, I’ll throw you an anniversary party next year.” Drew tell Michael.

 

“Teddy, I changed my mind, we need to have a wedding.” Blake tells him.

 

“Drew, you are trying to kill me.” Ted tells Drew.

 

“Just wanted to show who is the best planner.” Drew tells Ted.

 

We all walk out of our dream wedding site and start to get ready. I promised to sit with Gus and the girls. I told Mel and Lindsay I would respect Gus’s age. Mel told me it’s me they are worried about, Gus has Kinney power. We all sit down in the pews. Ted is going to be the best man and the kids are seating everyone. Elle and Selena come out in peach dresses, with white baby’s breath head pieces, they are strewing petals along the carpet. Theo and Stuart are walking each person to their seats and running back to get the next person. When Brian and Justin come in, Theo and Stuart fight to seat Justin. He takes both their hands and let’s them walk him to his seat. Theo tells everyone he’s tired and sits on Justin’s lap. Gus gets up to help Stuart get the rest of the people in their seats. We all have to just stare at the room again. We’re outside but it’s like we're in a greenhouse of flowers. It’s finally time. Jen and Deb bring Emmett out to the entrance.

 

“Emmett, may I walk my adopted son to the altar?” Carl asks Emmett.

 

“I couldn’t have asked for a better father.” Emmett tells Carl as he takes his arm. They walk up to the front.

 

Drew walked in with his mother and father. His mother kissed Emmett and told him she was proud to become his mother. Drew’s dad hugged Emmett and told him to take care of Drew. We all teared up.The reverend started the ceremony.

 

“Emmett, when we met I was still trying to pretend I wasn’t gay. It might have worked if I’d never met you. I wanted to give you the world, but the world wasn’t ready for me to be gay. We had some rough times, but you always saw me through them. You even let me go to turn twenty-one. I wanted to tell you no but knew I wasn’t ready to be what you needed. The last five years have given my life meaning and you are my reason for waking up and living a better life. I will love you forever Emmett.” Drew is trying to turn this into a tear jerker wedding.

 

“Drew, when we meet, I thought you were a redneck, beer chugging asshole. Instead I found my soul mate. I was ready to give up on relationships after we parted because no one compared to you. When Brian helped to get us back together, I wanted to tell him we couldn’t work. You instead showed me what it’s like to love someone who completes you. I was worried about the wedding, but I should have known you know me as well as I know you. Thank you for loving me and our boys and thank you for being my happiness and safety. I will love you forever Drew. Teddy you suck.” Emmett tells everyone. We all start laughing at Ted.

 

The reverend asked for the rings and Theo and Stuart raced up to their dads and gave them the rings. The boys refused to sit back down so Emmett and Drew picked up the kids and carried them through the rest of the ceremony. When the reverend pronounced them husbands, Justin and Brian came over and grabbed the boys. Drew and Emmett kissed until Ted finally had to tell them to stop. The audience laughed and the reverend introduced Drew and Emmett Honeycutt-Boyd to the audience.

 

We were all asked to stand and wait while the room was altered for the party. The pews were quickly changed and tables and chairs put in. We stood there and watched Drew and Emmett stare at each other. Michael finally needed to stop the love fest.

 

“I thought you weren’t going to take Drew’s name.” Michael says to Emmett.

 

“A girl has a right to change her mind.” Emmett tells him.

 

Everyone sits down and there are disposable cameras on the tables. Drew told us he wanted pictures of everything. Michael and Deb grabbed five cameras each. The rest of us can only imagine what Michael will do with the pictures.

 

The planner announces it’s time for the speeches. Michael tries to get up to the microphone, Ben grabs him. Ted goes to the podium.

 

“When Emmett first told me about him and Drew, I thought he was kidding. Then Drew announces it to all of Pittsburgh. I was in awe that he loved Emmett enough to tell the whole world. I was also  jealous, I only got to see Drew in his underwear, Emmett got the whole package.” Ted waits till the laughter dies down, “Drew I want to thank you for loving Emmett. Emmett, I want to say thank you for being my best friend.”

 

Drew’s coach and other teammates all said nice things. Michael finally managed to get to the stage. We all hold our breath and pray he doesn’t say anything that will have Drew kill him.

 

“Hi, I’m Michael Novotny. Emmett and I met and became roommates in our twenties. I remember the excitement of having my first apartment. Emmett wanted to decorate the apartment to show his personality and I wanted to decorate it to show mine. We were able to find a way of doing it. Emmett never once made fun of my comic obsession, but helped to blend it into the apartment. I was always worried about people finding out I was gay and Emmett taught me to be proud of myself and tell everyone else to wear sunglasses, if the light was burning too bright. It still took me years to be proud, but thanks to you Emmett, I found my flame. Thank you for being one of the best brothers a guy could ask for. Drew, love him like I love Ben.” Michael walks off. We were sitting there stunned. Michael walks back and picks up the microphone, “Oh by the way, I put copies of the article about Ben and me on the table by the door, for anybody to read.” There’s the Michael we all know.

 

“I wanted to give Emmett his wedding present from me. Emmett, I hope you love this house, I bought it for our vacations.” Drew tells Emmett. Emmett screams and is all over Drew.

 

“I also arranged a honeymoon in Hawaii for all of us.” Drew really wants to make Emmett happy.

 

“When you say ‘all of us’ Drewsy, who are you talking about?” Emmett asks him.

 

“My family, our family and the gang.” Drew tell Emmett.

 

“We’re going to Hawaii, Carl.” Deb gets excited.

 

“I have it arranged to go next week. I want everyone available to go. Emmett and I have a private bungalow, but the rest of you have a house to stay at. I really just wanted babysitters.” Drew jokes.

 

The dancing starts and I dance with Lindsay.

 

“Emmett planned my wedding to Mel and it was beautiful, but I think Drew has him beat.” Lindsay tells me.

 

“I think Drew loves Emmett enough to make sure he gets all his dreams.” I tell her.

 

“Will you love my son enough to do the same?” Lindsay asks me.

 

“I’m halfway there, but I think I’ll let him grow up enough to really know what he wants.” I tell her.

 

“I’m voting for you.” Lindsay walks off and dances with Mel.

 

“Can I have this dance?” Gus asks me.

 

“Only if you limit the flirting, your dad might kill us.” I joke with Gus.

 

“Flirt away son, I think Kyle needs a reason to move to Pittsburgh.” Justin tells us as he dances by with his mother.

 

The rest of the gang interchanges dancers, like they have conversations. Brian dances with Michael who then grabs Ben from Ted. Justin and Emmett are doing some kind of hand swinging dance together, Emmett picks him up and twirls him. Brian takes Emmett's hands off Justin and they start swaying together.

 

The wall facing the beach is suddenly moved and we are told to sit out on the beach. Our group sits together, most in each other’s laps and watch as the night is lit up with fireworks. Drew tells everyone he and Emmett are going to a hotel he rented for tonight and tomorrow.

 

“Jen and I have the kids.” Deb reassures them.

 

“Do everything Justin and I would do, and take pictures.” Brian adds tongue in cheek.

 

“Call if you get bored.” Michael adds.

 

“Give Drew big sloppy kisses.” Ted tells them.

 

We all sit out there for a while and just enjoy the evening.