- Text Size +

 

 

 

 

 

 

KYLE

 

Michael invited me to dinner to discuss more about his life, but Emmett cut in and told him everyone wanted to have dinner at Emmett’s house. I almost kissed Emmett, well except that I’ve seen Drew tackle people. Emmett told everyone we could barbecue at his house. Elle asked if Nana and Grandma Deb were coming.

 

“If you want them to Sweety.” Emmett told her.

 

“That would be great, Ma and I could talk to Kyle.” Michael tells everyone.

 

“Michael, why don’t we just have dinner and leave the interview for when Kyle can talk to you without so many distractions.” Ben is on my good list too.

 

“I think he’d want to know all about the time I talked about superheroes for your class.” I really don’t want to know.

 

“You mean when you wanted to jump Ben, but figured you needed to appear smart.” Brian tells Michael.

 

“No asshole, I meant when I was explaining comic book culture and how it related to gay culture.” Michael tells Brian.

 

“Michael, stop repeating Ben and admit you wanted to get laid.” Ted throws in.

 

“Dad what does laid mean?” Elle asks Brian.

 

“It means that Uncle Mikey really wanted to hug Uncle Ben.” Justin tells Elle, before Brian can say anything.

 

Everyone agrees to meet at Emmett’s house in four hours. I head back to my hotel to try to write some notes on this group. I haven’t been able to interview any of them. It’s like you ask a question and they go off on a tangent. I figured I’d start trying to write something.

 

When the Supreme court finally announced equal rights to same-sex couples, it was a day of celebration for the LGBT groups throughout the United States. No longer were they at the will of the laws for property rights and status as a legal couple. We were able to watch people celebrate their equality through marriage. I watched as couples in the state of Pennsylvania waited in long lines to begin life as a married couple, something that would be recognized equally in all fifty states.

 

Unfortunately for them, protesters wanted to stop the these couples from their right to be equal in the eyes of the law. They were yelling out that it was a sin, and the couples would burn in hell. A mother who was supporting her son told them to let them have the peace to do the same as other couples. This started a riot on the streets of Pittsburgh, and a time that should have been joyous, became a fight to be allowed to marry without narrow minded people interfering. I saw artist Justin Taylor, who wasn’t getting married, but was there to support a friend, tell a reporter, it was about the union not the individual sex lives. He further stated that everyone should have the same rights as Sally and Dave, pointing out the benefits were just as important as the marriage. It gave me pause for the first time. We’ve all heard the stories about how a gay man lost his home, one that he had been paying for with his long time partner, because the state will give all property to next of kin, and if the family is homophobic, the survivor loses everything because it’s not in his name. The survivor could also be forced to pay back half to the family for anything they jointly owned. The United States didn’t just say yes to marriage, but the right to own property together and making sure same-sex spouses were now the next of kin.

 

I decided to follow a group of men and women, all of whom have children and thriving careers, to see how they live their lives and how they feel the world had changed or not changed for them throughout their lives. I hope to give you a glimpse of how normal their world is, in future articles.

 

I first walked into Liberty Diner and thought I’d sit down with Debbie Novotny and conduct an interview. What I found instead is a large group of diversity. I met Debbie and she was shouting at the men in the diner as if they were all having breakfast at her home. The conversation was fast paced and everyone joined in. I met Emmett, a very colorful and extremely friendly man. I was surprised to see Justin Taylor waiting tables in the diner, Justin is a New York artist who could own half of Liberty Avenue but wanted to help out his surrogate mother because she was short-handed that day. Drew Boyd showed up and no one batted an eyelash that a famous football star came into the diner. It’s because this was a family, not a bunch of people eating somewhere.

 

I started this article wanting to tell you the stories of the struggles growing up gay and to give you insight as to how they see the world changing, instead I think learning how their lives are the same as any other person in the United States, might help others understand that being gay isn’t the devil’s work, but a difference in partners.

 

I sat there and read the article again and called my editor. I want to do a series on the men and women here, not just one article. My editor had me wait on the line and when he came back, told me he was going to run it tomorrow on the front page as a blurb and see if we could turn this into a series. I hung up and decided to print it out, so the others could read it. I want to make sure they understand I want to give people a glimpse of how normal their lives are.

 

I get to Emmett’s house and Drew answers the door. I ask him to read the article and pass it around. If they kick me out, I’ll understand. Everyone seemed fine with it, well except Michael.

 

“I thought this was an article about Ben and me getting married.” Michael started to whine. I was hoping he wouldn’t read it.

 

“It is, but my editor said I could do a series on each couple and I need to start with why I picked Pittsburgh.” I dread the day I have to interview Michael. I mean I don’t need to know how he first discovered Captain Astro, in detail.

 

“Mikey, don’t worry you’ll get your ten minutes.” Brian tells him.

 

“Brian, people need to hear about how Ben and I had to go to Canada to get married and how adopting Hunter was made harder because we were gay. I mean…” Michael starts his list of complaints.

 

“Dinner is ready everyone, come on before Michael tells you about his one and only blowjob from a girl, he paid five bucks for it.” Emmett interrupted.

 

“What’s a blowjob Daddy?” Elle ask Justin.

 

“I think Aunty Em should have to explain that one. Right Emmett.” Justin’s mother tells Emmett.

 

“Well honey it, um, you know, well.” Emmett is looking nervously at the grandmothers.

 

“Elle girl, it’s another thing you don’t repeat.” Brian cuts in.

 

“Dad that list is getting really long.” Elle tells Brian.

 

“Sweetheart, I’ll work with all of Daddy’s friends to keep from adding to the list.” Jen tells her and looks at the guys.

 

“Mother Taylor, I’m innocent this time.” Brian says to her.

 

“I heard you weren’t so innocent this morning.” Jen tells Brian.

 

“Mel, remind me to run you over before I leave tonight.” Brian tells Mel.

 

“Remind me why I didn’t run you over when you sent Gus home with a lifetime supply of condoms?”  Mel tells him.

 

“Justin, do they hate each other?” I asked.

 

“No, they just like to fight with each other, Lindsay and I won’t fight with them and the rest of the guys can’t win against either of them. I think if they were straight Lindsay and I would be single.” Justin says out loud.

 

“Take that back Justin, I wouldn’t want any part of Brian to soil any part of me.” Mel runs over and starts tickling Justin.

 

“You know Mel, I said Justin might make you straight, not to go for it.” Brian tells her.

 

“I could do for Justin what Lindsay didn’t do for you.” Mel and Justin are struggling for control in the tickle war.

 

“Do you know how long it took me to get Justin to give the perfect...conversation.” Brian looks at Jen and smirks.

 

“About as long as it took him to train your ass.” Michael cuts in.

 

“Well, at least we talked four times this afternoon, can any of you say the same?” Brian asks them.

 

“Where was my granddaughter during these talks?” Deb and Jen say in unison.

 

“Ted and Blake had her with them. Selena wanted to show her the new game Ted brought her.” Brian tells the women.

 

“Brian, there is more to life than talking all day.” Michael tells Brian.

 

“Michael when that day comes for me, you can just let me die.” Brian tells him. I see Brian look at Drew, who just walked into the room. Brian gets up and grabs Justin and walks out of the room.

 

“Emmett stop them.” Michael tells him.

 

“Michael you're on your honeymoon, you should be the one I stop.” Emmett laughs at Michael’s disapproving look.

 

“Jen, surely you think they should be more discreet with their talks.” Michael tells her.

 

“Michael, when did you become such a prude.” Debbie asks him.

 

“I’m not a prude, it’s just those two aren’t normal, nobody talks that much.” Michael is telling everyone.

 

“Michael, I hope to Emmett is willing to talk to me that much when I’m sixty. In fact, Emmett will you finally do me the honor of becoming my husband?” Drew asks Emmett. Emmett turns and stares at Drew who is holding out a ring. Brian and Justin come out with Champagne and glasses for everyone.

 

“Well of fucking course I’ll marry you.” Emmett yells and jumps at Drew.

 

We celebrated the rest of the night, and found out the Fourth of July party was going to be a wedding party.

 

Chapter End Notes:

I have one more for tonight but then it will slow down as I have to work all week. This one was just to much fun.