- Text Size +
Story Notes:

 

 

"Alright, everyone, now that we've got the heavy stuff out of the way, it's time to have a little fun. Now I understand that Michael and Justin's partners are here in the audience along with some friends. What we are going to do is play a version of the Newlywed Game and see just how well these partners know each other. How does that sound?"

 

 

 

The crowd applauds loudly with several people shouting 'WooHoo' throughout the audience.

 

 

 

"Good. First let's find your friends. Who came with you besides your partners?"

 

 

 

"Well, there's Emmett and his partner Drew, and Ted and his partner Blake," Michael spoke up as he pointed towards the group of friends.

 

 

 

"Okay, Emmett, Drew, Ted and Blake, stand up guys." The four men stood up. "Very handsome gentlemen."

 

 

 

The audience applauds in agreement.

 

 

 

"Now, let's introduce our other contestants. I met both of them backstage earlier and I must say, Michael and Justin are both very lucky men. There's Michael's partner, Ben. Stand up, Ben."

 

 

 

Ben stood up and waved slightly with a small smile aimed at Michael.

 

 

 

"Isn't he a very handsome fellow?"

 

 

 

The audience shouts out in agreement and applause. Ben blushed and gave the host a genuine smile.

 

 

 

"And now we have Justin's partner, Brian."

 

 

 

Brian stood up next to Ben and gave Justin a lustful look. The crowd went wild.

 

 

 

"WOW! I'll say it again, Justin, you are a very lucky young man." The host fanned himself and the audience howled and clapped, there were even a few whistles, causing Justin to blush. "Are you busy later, Brian?"

 

 

 

The crowd laughed.

 

 

 

"Oh, I'll be very busy later." Brian pressed his tongue into his cheek and gave Justin another lust filled look.

 

 

 

"Oh, how I wish I were you, Justin. Okay, let's see… if someone will escort Brian, Ben, Ted, and Drew backstage and have them wait in the soundproof room, then we'll have Emmett and Blake join us up here and we'll get started."

 

 

 

Brian, Ben, Drew & Ted were escorted backstage while Emmett and Blake joined Michael and Justin at the sofa on stage. A stagehand signaled that they were secured in the soundproof room. The assistant director handed each man a set of four large cards and a marker and the host began to ask a few questions. They answered out loud and also wrote their responses on the large cards. Each time Justin answered, Michael would snicker or shake his head.

 

 

 

"Michael, you keep snickering every time Justin answers. I'm curious, do you think he's wrong or do you just find his answers amusing?"

 

 

 

"I know Brian better than anybody. We've been best friends since we were fourteen years old. I know that Justin hasn't answered anything right." Michael shook his head as he chuckled.

 

 

 

"Okay, Michael, if you think Justin is wrong about everything, why don't you write down what you think Brian's answers would be and we'll see who's right?" the host challenged.

 

 

 

"Alright, as long as Justin doesn't get mad at me when he loses." Michael accepted a piece of paper from the host and wrote what he believed Brian would say to each question. Once he finished, he handed the paper back to the host and the stagehand went back and retrieved the others from the room backstage.

 

 

 

Each man took a seat next to their partner except for Brian who pulled Justin up and promptly sat down in his spot then pulled Justin onto his lap. He wrapped his arms around the younger man's waist. Justin looped his left arm around Brian's shoulders and kissed him on the mouth. The audience applauded and laughed at the scene while the host fanned himself with the notecards in his hand. Michael and the others rolled their eyes at the couple's actions.

 

 

 

"Now that everyone is situated, let's see how everyone did. We'll start with Drew and Emmett on the far end of the couch and work our way up to Justin and Brian. Is that okay with everyone?"

 

 

 

Everyone responded in agreement.

 

 

 

"The first question is: Where would your partner say is your favorite place to have sex? Drew?"

 

 

 

"My favorite place is on the rug in front of the fireplace."

 

 

 

Emmett clapped then held up a card that read: in front of the fireplace in our den.

 

 

 

"We have our first correct answer. Next is Ted and Blake."

 

 

 

"I would have to say in the bathtub," Ted responded.

 

 

 

Blake smiled and held up a card that read: in the bathtub.

 

 

 

"Another correct answer. Now we have Ben and Michael."

 

 

 

"I'm going to say the kitchen counter."

 

 

 

Michael frowned and held up a card that read: definitely our bedroom.

 

 

 

"We are never eating at Ben and Mikey's house again, Sunshine," Brian stage whispered into Justin's ear, which brought laughter to everyone who heard it.

 

 

 

Ben shook his head and joined in the laughter. Michael frowned.

 

 

 

"Oh, we have our first incorrect answer," the host said once he stopped laughing. "Brian and Justin, let's see how well you did."

 

 

 

"That's either the shower or the chaise in Justin's studio… I'll say the chaise." Brian poked his tongue in his cheek and squeezed Justin.

 

 

 

Justin smiled and held up his card that read: on the chaise in my studio. He turned and gave Brian a quick kiss on the lips.

 

 

 

"Well, we have three correct and one incorrect. Let's see how they do with the next question. Gentlemen, what would your partner say is your favorite animal?"

 

 

 

"That's easy, the Great Dane." Drew grinned at Emmett.

 

 

 

Emmett held up his card: Dogs but especially the Great Dane.

 

 

 

"Another correct answer for the handsome former football player and his queen."

 

 

 

Emmett smiled brightly.

 

 

 

"Ted, how do you think Blake answered the question?"

 

 

 

"I really love those little Scottish Terriers."

 

 

 

Blake held up his card: Scottish Terriers, and gave Ted a kiss on the cheek.

 

 

 

"Another winning answer. Your turn, Ben."

 

 

 

"I love dogs, too, doesn't really matter what breed."

 

 

 

Michael smiled and held up his card: Dogs.

 

 

 

"There you go, now you're one and one. Brian, how do you think Justin answered?"

 

 

 

"I would have to say horses."

 

 

 

Justin's smile grew as he held up his card: Horses.

 

 

 

"Wow, all four correct. On to the next question… What one thing would your partner say is the city you were born in best known for? Drew?"

 

 

 

"Well, I was born in Dallas and I used to play professional football, so I would hope that Emmett would say The Dallas Cowboys."

 

 

 

Emmett bounced in his seat as he held up his card: The Dallas Cowboys.

 

 

 

The audience laughed and applauded the exuberant man.

 

 

 

"Ted, how do you think Blake answered?"

 

 

 

"I was born in Boston so I'll say the Boston Pops."

 

 

 

Blake's shoulders dropped a little as he held up his card: Boston Red Sox.

 

 

 

Ted laughed and kissed his partner on the cheek.

 

 

 

"Well, I guess I'm not much of a sports fan."

 

 

 

The audience laughed and Blake's smile returned.

 

 

 

"Ben, where were you born?"

 

 

 

"I was born in Philadelphia so I'll say The Liberty Bell."

 

 

 

"You told me you were born in Pittsburgh," Michael grumbled as he held up his card that read: The Pittsburgh Penguins.

 

 

 

"No, Babe, I told you I *grew up* in Pittsburgh. I was born in Philly and lived there until I was about six."

 

 

 

Michael huffed and crossed his arms over his chest.

 

 

 

"Brian, how do you think Justin answered?"

 

 

 

Brian looked over at Michael.

 

 

 

"Well, *I* was born in Pittsburgh and knowing Justin like I do, I would have to say, Andy Warhol."

 

 

 

Justin beamed a bright smile as he held up his next card that read: Andy Warhol.

 

 

 

Michael shook his head; his frown deepened.

 

 

 

"So far Emmett and Drew, and Brian and Justin have a perfect score."

 

 

 

The audience applauded.

 

 

 

"The next question is: What would your partner say is your favorite music to listen to while at home? Drew what is your favorite music?"

 

 

 

"Big Band. I really love the old swing bands."

 

 

 

A shocked look crossed Emmett's face as he held up his card with the words: Country Western.

 

 

 

"I've never heard you listen to anything else. When do you listen to Big Band music?"

 

 

 

"When you're not home and when I'm driving. The guys on the team used to rib me about it so I stopped listening to it around anyone else."

 

 

 

"Well, I would never do that. Besides I love that old music myself. It's a lot of fun to dance to." Emmett smiled and kissed Drew.

 

 

 

"Okay, on to Ted and Blake."

 

 

 

Ted smiled as he said, "There's no other possible answer. Opera."

 

 

 

Blake jerked the card up from his lap. The audience could see the word 'Opera' in big letters.

 

 

 

"I knew I couldn't miss that one. He got me hooked on it," Blake said.

 

 

 

The host laughed along with the audience. "Ben, how about you, what's your favorite music to listen to at home?"

 

 

 

Michael smiled confidently. He placed his hands on the top card in his lap as he waited for his partner's answer.

 

 

 

"I love the oldies; anything from the '50s, '60s, and '70s."

 

 

 

Michael held up his card: The oldies.

 

 

 

"That gives you two correct answers so you're now tied with Ted and Blake. Brian, what's your favorite music to listen to at home?"

 

 

 

Michael snickered as he waited to hear Brian's answer.

 

 

 

"Jazz. Mostly, Thelonious Monk."

 

 

 

Justin considered sticking his tongue out at Michael, but controlled himself as he held up his card: Jazz, particularly Thelonious Monk.

 

 

 

"Well, so far the winners are Brian and Justin with a perfect score. So, now that we all know who knows their partner the best, let's see how well the others did. We decided to ask your partners three questions while they were backstage."

 

 

 

The host waved to someone off camera. A stagehand walked out and handed three cards each to Drew, Ted, Ben, and Brian.

 

 

 

"So, Emmett, Blake, Michael, and Justin how did your partner respond to these questions… Fill in the blank for this sentence: My partner gets really weird when I try to touch his ____? Emmett?"

 

 

 

Emmett squinted his eyes as he thought, then said, "My cooking utensils, all my special pots and pans for my catering business."

 

 

 

Drew held up a card: special cookware.

 

 

 

"That's one more right answer for you. Blake, how do you think Ted said you would respond?"

 

 

 

"My desk. I've got it all organized."

 

 

 

Ted held up a card and smiled: Blake's desk.

 

 

 

"Very good; another correct answer. Michael, what does Ben think you get weird about?"

 

 

 

"That's easy, my comic books."

 

 

 

Ben smiled and held up his card: comic books.

 

 

 

"We have another right answer. Justin, what do you think Brian said?"

 

 

 

"The palette I mix my paints on."

 

 

 

Brian kissed Justin's temple and held up his card: artist's palette.

 

 

 

"Wow, you two are five for five. Now for the next question… Where is the last place you and your partner had sex other than your home?"

 

 

 

"That would be in our hotel room this morning," Emmett said with a big smile.

 

 

 

Drew held up his card: our hotel room this morning.

 

 

 

"Blake?"

 

 

 

"The bathtub in our hotel room last night," Blake said with a blush.

 

 

 

Ted held up his card: hotel bathtub last night.

 

 

 

"Well, well, well, we have a very active bunch with us here today. Michael, how about you and Ben?"

 

 

 

Michael looked like he didn't want to answer. Finally he said, "My mom's house the day before yesterday."

 

 

 

Ben smiled and held up his card: Michael's old room at his mother's house.

 

 

 

Brian laughed outright at Michael's answer. Justin snickered and the others all grinned.

 

 

 

"I was tired when we got to the hotel last night," Michael defended his answer.

 

 

 

"That's okay, Mikey, we understand." Brian smiled.

 

 

 

"Okay, Justin, how about you and Brian? Where was the last place you and your gorgeous partner had sex other than your home?"

 

 

 

"The bathroom backstage right before you introduced us."

 

 

 

Brian grinned and shoved his tongue in his cheek as he held up his card: bathroom backstage.

 

 

 

The crowd roared with laughter, whistles, and applause.

 

 

 

"The two of you had sex in the bathroom backstage? Right before I announced you?" the host asked with surprise.

 

 

 

"He was nervous. It's the best way I know to calm him down." Brian grinned and Justin blushed.

 

 

 

"It's a shame we don't have cameras in the bathroom," the host joked, as he once again fanned himself with his cards.

 

 

 

Brian and Justin both waggled their eyebrows suggestively. The audience roared once again.

 

 

 

"Okay, let's get to the last question… Who would your partner say is the most important person in his life, other than you?"

 

 

 

"That's got to be his dad," Emmett said softly.

 

 

 

Drew kissed Emmett then held up his card: my dad.

 

 

 

"Awww. That's so sweet. Blake?"

 

 

 

Blake was a bit hesitant to answer at first. Finally he said, "I know I probably shouldn't say this but I think it's his boss, Brian. Because he gave him a chance when no one else would."

 

 

 

Ted lowered his eyes; worried what Brian's reaction might be as he held up his card with the name: Brian Kinney.

 

 

 

The gang looked shocked except for Brian and Justin. Justin beamed as if he had known the answer would be his partner. Brian looked slightly uncomfortable but nodded slightly at Ted. Ted nodded back.

 

 

 

"Michael, how do you think Ben answered?"

 

 

 

"Hunter, our son."

 

 

 

Ben smiled and lifted his card: our son, Hunter

 

 

 

"Well, everyone has gotten this answer correct so far. Justin, who do you think Brian said is the most important person in his life besides you?

 

 

 

"Without a doubt, Gus."

 

 

 

Brian held up his card: Our son, Gus.

 

 

 

Michael frowned at Brian's response and the fact that Justin was right again, while Justin beamed at Brian having written 'our' son.

 

 

 

"Well, Brian and Justin have a perfect score."

 

 

 

The crowd cheered as Brian kissed Justin deeply. Once everyone settled down, the host spoke again.

 

 

 

"Michael, since you thought that Justin's answers would all be incorrect, I took it upon myself to challenge you to write down what you thought Brian's responses would be. Let's see how you did. The first question I asked the four of you was, 'Where is your partner's favorite place to have sex?' You thought Brian would respond by saying: the backroom of Babylon."

 

 

 

"That has to be the right answer. Every time they go to Babylon, they make several visits to the backroom."

 

 

 

"Several?" the host asked with raised eyebrows.

 

 

 

"We don't go to the club that often and it's a twenty five minute drive home. Most of the time I can't wait that long to get in his pants." Brian smirked and the audience cheered.

 

 

 

"Brian, you're at Babylon every night," Michael commented.

 

 

 

"I own the club, Michael. I check on it every night before I go home, but I don't go in the backroom without Justin. Ask Ted," Brian answered.

 

 

 

"That's true, Michael. Brian's only at the club long enough to make sure everything is running smoothly." Ted nodded his head as he spoke.

 

 

 

"Let's check your answer to the second question, shall we? 'What is your partner's favorite animal?' You thought Brian would say…" the host double checked the paper in his hand, "a rabbit?" he said, his voice and eyebrows rose in surprise as he said the last word.

 

 

 

"What the Hell, Michael? A rabbit?" Brian growled.

 

 

 

"Well, they're always fu… having sex, just like you," Michael stammered.

 

 

 

The crowd laughed when they heard Michael's explanation.

 

 

 

Justin began to laugh uncontrollably on Brian's lap. Brian swatted him on the ass, which only caused him to bury his face in Brian's neck as he laughed harder.

 

 

 

Michael looked at Brian and said, "Horses? Come on, Brian, be honest."

 

 

 

"I do love horses; they're beautiful animals. Justin and I go riding every weekend. We're even thinking about buying a couple. We do have stables on our property."

 

 

 

That statement got a surprised look from the entire group. Michael was more surprised by the 'our property' comment.

 

 

 

"Okay, let's see how you answered this question… What one thing is the city your partner was born in best known for? You thought Brian would say that Justin would respond with: steel."

 

 

 

"Why would Justin say 'steel'? He's an artist, not a construction worker." Brian looked at his friend like the man had lost his mind.

 

 

 

"No, I thought 'you' would say steel not Justin."

 

 

 

"But that wasn't the question, Mikey. He asked what I thought Justin would say Pittsburgh was known for."

 

 

 

Michael huffed and crossed his arms over his chest.

 

 

 

"Well I know that you would have said 'steel' if you were answering for yourself," Michael whined.

 

 

 

"You're close. Actually, I would have said The Steelers."

 

 

 

"What?" Michael screeched.

 

 

 

Justin rolled his eyes and gave Brian a peck on the lips.

 

 

 

The audience laughed and applauded Brian's answer and Justin's actions. The host decided to move things along since they were running out of time.

 

 

 

"Now we're at the last question… 'What is your partner's favorite music to listen to while at home?' Michael, you wrote down that Brian would say: rock and roll."

 

 

 

"I never listen to rock and roll at home." Brian leaned away from Michael, his brow furrowed in confusion at Michael's answer. "I never listened to it when I still lived in the loft unless we were having a party."

 

 

 

"We used to listen to it all the time, Brian," Michael insisted.

 

 

 

"Mikey, that was at your house, and we were in high school."

 

 

 

Michael didn't know what to say.

 

 

 

Someone off camera signaled to the host to wrap up; they were out of time.

 

 

 

"Well, that's it for our show. I want to thank my guests, Justin Taylor and Michael Novotny-Bruckner as well as their partners and friends for being on the show and for being such good sports with our game. Everybody have a safe trip home and we'll see you next time."

 

 

 

The audience applauded as the group stood and shook hands with the host before they filed off the stage.

 

 

 

On their way back to the hotel, the group of friends chatted quietly about the show as they rode in comfort in the stretch limousine. Everyone noticed that Michael never spoke a word.

 

 

 

Upon their arrival at the hotel, Brian whispered something into Justin's ear. Justin nodded and headed up to their room. Brian caught Ben's eye and gave him a pointed look as he gave a slight nod to Michael then nodded toward the hotel bar. Ben smiled in understanding and kissed Michael on the cheek.

 

 

 

"Why don't you and Brian go have a drink in the bar? We'll all meet in an hour for dinner." Ben gently pushed Michael toward Brian.

 

 

 

Michael reluctantly walked alongside his best friend to the hotel bar. They sat a table in the back of the bar, away from the other patrons. The waiter took their order and the friends sat in silence while they waited. Michael was the first to speak after their drinks arrived.

 

 

 

"I don't get it. How could you have known all that about each other? You and Justin answered everything right. Ben and I are in a committed relationship and we only got four answers right. And how could you say that I'm the third most important person in your life? I'm your best friend for fuck's sake," Michael grumbled angrily before taking a sip of his drink.

 

 

 

"In all honesty, Michael, you're probably the sixth most important person in my life."

 

 

 

"Sixth?" Michael exclaimed.

 

 

 

"Justin and Gus are the two most important people in my life. Justin is my partner and Gus is our son. And yes I did say 'our' son. Together we visit Gus at least once a month, more if we can manage it. Next would be Debbie and Jennifer. Deb's been like a mother to me most of my life; you know that. And Jennifer, well, she's Justin's mom and that makes her important to me. Fuck, she even mothers me from time to time. But they're opinions matter to me more than yours, Michael, and I swear, if you ever tell either of them that, I'll rip your balls off and feed them to you."

 

 

 

Michael shook his head in disbelief.

 

 

 

"I guess Lindsay and Mel would be next, since their Gus' moms. Since they're munchers, I count them as one. Then it would be you, Theodore and Emmett."

 

 

 

They sat quietly for a few moments. Brian knew Michael needed a few minutes to absorb everything he had said.

 

 

 

"I still don't understand how the two of you got all those answers right," Michael said softly.

 

 

 

"He's my partner, Michael. We talk to each other; we listen to each other. Believe it or not, Justin and I do more than fuck."

 

 

 

"Ben and I talk."

 

 

 

"But do you listen, Michael? As I recall, it was you that missed the answers to those two questions. Ben answered everything correctly."

 

 

 

Michael shook his head, realizing that Brian was right.

 

 

 

"It's just that so often the things Ben says are so far over my head that I'm lost after a few minutes."

 

 

 

Now Brian shook his head as he looked at his oldest friend's downcast face.

 

 

 

"You forgot where he was born, Michael. Surely that wasn't over your head."

 

 

 

"I just forgot, that's all; I could have sworn he said he had lived in the Pitts his whole life. But I don't understand how I missed every answer that you gave." Michael raised tearful eyes to look at Brian.

 

 

 

Brian sighed deeply. "You remember the old me, Mikey. I haven't been that man in a long time. And just so you know, Justin and I have been monogamous for over two years."

 

 

 

Michael swiped at his eyes before the tears could fall. He took a deep breath and braced himself for Brian's answer to his next question. The one question he had wanted to ask his best friend for a very long time.

 

 

 

"Why him?"

 

 

 

"He believes in me, Michael. He has from the start. No one else ever has; not you and not Lindsay. I'll admit he got sidetracked a few times, but even 'you' have to admit that he was influenced by a lot of things. The bashing mostly, but also by things everyone, especially you, said to him. And a lot of it was my own fault. We both made mistakes. But deep down, Justin never gave up on me. He always saw the real me."

 

 

 

"The 'real' you?" Michael asked. "What's that supposed to mean?"

 

 

 

"The me that you and even Lindsay still refuse to see. The me that Ted, Emmett, Debbie and Jennifer, fuck, even Mel, have been able to see for quite a while now."

 

 

 

Michael frowned, confused by what Brian was saying.

 

 

 

"I've grown up, Michael. I have a partner and I have a son, and I love them more than anything in this world. I have responsibilities to them above all others. I own two very successful businesses and my partner is a highly sought after artist as well as your business partner. You'll have to look to someone else to be the 'uncaring asshole' so you can feel better about yourself. I'm no longer willing to be the fuck-up and take the blame for anyone any more."

 

 

 

"I guess me and Ma always have blamed you when something went wrong. I'm sorry," Michael said sincerely.

 

 

 

"It's just as much my fault. I shouldn't have allowed it, but I needed both of you so I let everything slide. I let you both blame me for things that I had no part in or no control over."

 

 

 

Brian felt his cellphone vibrate in his pocket. He pulled it out and checked the display to find he had a new message waiting. He chuckled when he read it.

 

 

 

"What is it?" Michael asked.

 

 

 

"Justin. It says: Ben wants to know if it's safe to come downstairs?" Brian didn't tell Michael the part where Justin asked if he was okay.

 

 

 

Michael actually laughed.

 

 

 

"Tell him yes, it's okay." Michael smiled and added, "And tell Justin that we're okay."

 

 

 

Brian smiled and called his partner.

 

 

 

The End.

The End.
Deb Tanner is the author of 28 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 7 members. Members who liked How Do You Know All That? also liked 681 other stories.